Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AsoRock
Topic Author

Air Asia X flights to Beirut

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:12 pm

I have frequently noticed Air Asia X flights operating from Kuala Lumpur to Beirut directly, on Flightradar24.

Does anyone know what this flight number D7 681 is ? It's not listed as a scheduled destination of Air Asia X so perhaps it's a regular charter? Maybe for the UN ?

Appreciate anyone's input on this curiosity!

AsoRock

hisham

Re: Air Asia X flights to Beirut

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:18 pm

Google Malaysia, Lebanon and United Nations and you'll get your answer. Not every unusual flight deserves a thread.

Hisham.

AsoRock
Topic Author

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:51 pm

hisham wrote:
Google Malaysia, Lebanon and United Nations and you'll get your answer. Not every unusual flight deserves a thread.

Hisham.

I suppose you can also just share what you know Hisham, since you bothered to respond anyways.

AVFCdownunder

Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:01 pm

hisham wrote:

Hisham.

I thought forums were the place to pose questions and discuss things? For the reference of anyone else interested, it is the transport of Malaysian UN peace-keepers to Lebanon.

juliuswong

Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:25 pm

AsoRock wrote:
I have frequently noticed Air Asia X flights operating from Kuala Lumpur to Beirut directly, on Flightradar24.

Does anyone know what this flight number D7 681 is ? It's not listed as a scheduled destination of Air Asia X so perhaps it's a regular charter? Maybe for the UN ?

Appreciate anyone's input on this curiosity!

AsoRock

As mentioned by AVFCdownunder, the flight is specifically for transporting Malaysia UN peacekeeping troops to and fro from SZB. Last week they did a flight, returning home empty. A regular charter, not available for public purchase.

Here is a new release back in 2015: https://www.airasia.com/mo/en/press-rel ... sions.page

Hope this helps.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

flee

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:56 am

The final XAX681/682 flights for 2017 will operate today.

peterinlisbon

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:49 am

What happened to their Istanbul flights? They made a big announcement and then nothing came of it. I think it would have been a good idea, because Istanbul is a gateway to Europe.

juliuswong

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:14 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
What happened to their Istanbul flights? They made a big announcement and then nothing came of it. I think it would have been a good idea, because Istanbul is a gateway to Europe.

Istanbul was never announced or planned. Few months ago, there was a glitch in the booking system and route map on their website. But it was fixed. I agree with you IST would be a good gateway to Europe, but AirAsia X is not planning to return to Europe anytime soon. They are concentrating their attention in Asia Pacific, route that around/ within ten hours from their hub KUL. AKL and HNL are exception.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

peterinlisbon

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:59 pm

juliuswong wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:

Istanbul was never announced or planned. Few months ago, there was a glitch in the booking system and route map on their website. But it was fixed. I agree with you IST would be a good gateway to Europe, but AirAsia X is not planning to return to Europe anytime soon. They are concentrating their attention in Asia Pacific, route that around/ within ten hours from their hub KUL. AKL and HNL are exception.

I think Istanbul would be about 10 hours. The thing about Istanbul is that it would connect the whole of Europe plus North Africa, Russia, the eastern Med (Israel, Lebanon, Cyprus etc). The key is that no visa is required for most nationalities, which makes it a much better connection point than anywhere in Europe itself, plus it avoids backtracking and the need to limit loads or buy some new aircraft type. I wish they would reconsider, but forget the Barcelona tag as it's not worth it. Anyone wants to get to Barcelona they can buy a separate ticket for 50 Euros.

flee

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:48 am

peterinlisbon wrote:
I think Istanbul would be about 10 hours. The thing about Istanbul is that it would connect the whole of Europe plus North Africa, Russia, the eastern Med (Israel, Lebanon, Cyprus etc). The key is that no visa is required for most nationalities, which makes it a much better connection point than anywhere in Europe itself, plus it avoids backtracking and the need to limit loads or buy some new aircraft type. I wish they would reconsider, but forget the Barcelona tag as it's not worth it. Anyone wants to get to Barcelona they can buy a separate ticket for 50 Euros.

Airasia X has to look at its routes carefully because they currently lack aircraft due to the delays in the A330Neo programme. They are looking to lease some used A330-300s at the moment and I doubt very much if another new destination will be served in 2017. They need to maximise yields and new destinations usually mean negative yields in the early stages of operating the route.

The problem with Istanbul is the airport - which one should Airasia X go to, Atatürk or Sabiha Gökçen? Both have their pros and cons and Airasia X will need to evaluate this carefully.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos