Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Geminijets101
Topic Author

Will any airline fly to the state Delaware?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:10 pm

I know Frontier did fly there for a short time but ended service.
Cíao

izbtmnhd

Re: Will any airline fly to the state Delaware?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:19 pm

Considering the location of PHL in proximity to ILG it's kind of hard to see who would fly into that state. Another bad sign is that even though TTN is clear on the other side of the Philly metro from PHL, it's struggling as well.

Theme is along the lines of YNG.

evank516

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:34 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
Considering the location of PHL in proximity to ILG it's kind of hard to see who would fly into that state. Another bad sign is that even though TTN is clear on the other side of the Philly metro from PHL, it's struggling as well.

Where did you hear that TTN is struggling? I haven't heard such a thing yet and TTN outlives ILG by 1-2 years already. The other thing to consider is not only do they have PHL for people in the Wilmington/Newark area but SBY is to the south so everyone near Rehoboth Beach and Dover and such can also elect to use SBY.

phluser

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:57 pm

evank516 wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

Where did you hear that TTN is struggling? I haven't heard such a thing yet and TTN outlives ILG by 1-2 years already. The other thing to consider is not only do they have PHL for people in the Wilmington/Newark area but SBY is to the south so everyone near Rehoboth Beach and Dover and such can also elect to use SBY.

I wouldn't say struggling as F9 seems somewhat committed to it, but TTN peaked in pax traffic in 2015 and has declined since. Another popular choice for Delawareans is BWI.

gwrudolph

Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:19 pm

Geminijets101 wrote:

United flew to Wilmington from ORD back in the 80's, and at the time, had a campaign that said they flew to all 50 states. I believe it was a 737. From what I heard, it did okay, but with limited service and the proximity to PHL (where UA had a good-sized operation at the time), it was eventually cancelled

evank516

Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:00 pm

gwrudolph wrote:
Geminijets101 wrote:

United flew to Wilmington from ORD back in the 80's, and at the time, had a campaign that said they flew to all 50 states. I believe it was a 737. From what I heard, it did okay, but with limited service and the proximity to PHL (where UA had a good-sized operation at the time), it was eventually cancelled

I think DL was the last legacy to serve ILG. It was a couple of CRJs to ATL. Same campaign as UA.

TryToFlySomeday

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:19 pm

Maybe AA/UA can come back from ORD and DL from ATL or DTW (depending on which one has more O&D + connections to offer Delaware)?
Pakistani American born and raised near CHI (ORD/MDW). Relatives are from both India and Pakistan

lavalampluva

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:25 pm

IMO there are just too many airports in close proximity to ILG for it to work. All the airports in NYC work because of the high population.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

gwrudolph

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:26 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
IMO there are just too many airports in close proximity to ILG for it to work. All the airports in NYC work because of the high population.

I would agree with your assessment. Willlmington DE airport is just about 20 mins further down the road from PHL, and 90 mins (or so) from BWI. Both have many more options and would be far more competitive

spartanmjf

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:06 pm

And the reality is - why bother to fly into Delaware. Between AA at PHL and WN at BWI (not to mention all of the others) there is no need to be at a third rate airport in a state that is losing business faster than it can count. Du Pont doesn't exist any more, MBNA is gone, and Chrysler and GM packed up and left years ago.
"Nuts to the man in 21D!"

c933103

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:17 am

Would it make more sense to serve, for example, GED that is more south in the state and also more distant from other airports?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

PI4EVER

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:41 am

Appropriate timing to this thread a report tonight on NBC10 in Philly reported the airport and Governor of DE filed for a $5 million grant for airport improvements. It was also noted that F9 ended all service in 2015 and no other airline has expressed an interest in serving iLG.
watch what you want. you may get it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos