mountainwest90
Topic Author

What are chances LGU (Logan, UT) gets air service?

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:33 am

Hello A.net,

Today I was thinking about LGU (Logan, UT) and possible airlines that could serve there. I know there was a push around 2008ish to get air service started. I think they had interest from F9 at the time back when they had Lynx Aviation flying the Q400. Obviously with the recession and the demise of Lynx and that particular F9 business model that didn't turn out.

Doing a little research I cam across this recent article from august talking about the possible new service. Nothing is mentioned specifically but was wondering what a.net users think about the possibility of service being added in the next 5-10 years.

https://news.hjnews.com/allaccess/airport-construction-ongoing-scheduled-air-service-being-explored/article_7a1b2037-da39-5f69-8658-84d9486ce64e.html

On Thursday morning during the Logan-Cache Airport Authority Board meeting, Ivie said the board will hear from a consulting firm that hopes to get approval to help obtain a scheduled flight service to the airport.

“Right now we are in the talk stage,” Ivie said. “We have a new consulting firm that is doing a presentation about pursuing grants and obtaining a service.”

In 2008, Ivie said a similar study was conducted to evaluate the need of a scheduled air service, but the idea was never followed up on because of the economy.

“There was an ongoing study, and they did have an agreement with Frontier Airlines, but with their bankruptcy it never happened,” Ivie said. “There is some controversy with it. Some say we need it and some say we don’t. There could be a need for air service. It would be beneficial to business.”

As of 2014 the Metropolitian Statistical Area for Logan, UT was at 131,364 and according to google maps the drive takes just over an hour to get to SLC but with winter weather or traffic that could probably be higher. With a University and several new businesses as well as some tourist attractions such as Bear Lake I could see it as a possibility.

They don't have any terminal building so a brand new one would need to be constructed.

I think OO/4B could offer flights to SLC or DEN. Maybe G4 to LAS/IWA.

AAvgeek744

Re: What are chances LGU (Logan, UT) gets air service?

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:38 am

G4 is your likeliest bet. Too small a market for anyone else. Too close to SLC to get RJ's to any hub.

WNflyer1523

Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:20 am

Just took a look at the airport on the map and WOW that runway is long for a regional airport! Maybe you could get Boutique Air to SLC and/or Denver, or Great Lakes Airlines to Denver. Honestly, that's probably what would be the first to happen if the airport gets passenger service. As for the mainstream airlines, I wouldn't rule out a UA CRJ to Denver, maybe 2x daily. Possibly even G4 to LAS.
As for SLC on DL/IWA on G4 they are both highly unlikely. SLC is too close, and the flights to IWA would likely have minimal demand. Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but if the airport does get passenger service it should be minimal. Best of luck though!

mountainwest90
Topic Author

Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:52 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
G4 is your likeliest bet. Too small a market for anyone else. Too close to SLC to get RJ's to any hub.

Looking at Wiki it's actually LGU is actually larger MSA than BRD (Brainerd, MN) 131,000 to 94,000. They have about same Median Income as well. While BRD is about 2 hour drive to MSP they get 2 RJs a day to MSP.

WNflyer1523 wrote:
Just took a look at the airport on the map and WOW that runway is long for a regional airport! Maybe you could get Boutique Air to SLC and/or Denver, or Great Lakes Airlines to Denver. Honestly, that's probably what would be the first to happen if the airport gets passenger service. As for the mainstream airlines, I wouldn't rule out a UA CRJ to Denver, maybe 2x daily. Possibly even G4 to LAS.

Yeah it's a crazy long runway. They extended it maybe 10 years ago to allow bigger aircraft.

Yeah I agree. If any service other than G4 was to happen it would be to DEN.
WNflyer1523 wrote:
. Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but if the airport does get passenger service it should be minimal. Best of luck though!

I actually don't have any personal stake in the issue. I have traveled there a few times because I have family in the area but the issue doesn't affect me either way. Just remembered today that they were once trying to start flights and saw that they were recently trying to see if it was feasible. Thought I would see what A.net had to say.

ridgid727

Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:01 am

With Logan being so close to Ogden, I doubt G4 would consider it, as they have service to/from Ogden. I think the last service Logan had was thru QX after they purchased TransWestern Airlines. WZ - Transwestern Airlines had their headquarters in Logan

loisencroach

Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:04 am

It was awhile back but I do remember talk of Horizon possibly going into LGU although mentioned above was F9's Lynx so maybe that was it. I seem to recall something about a considerable amount of landside work to be done, i.e. paving the parking lot, etc.

oosnowrat

Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:05 am

G4 already serves Ogden, which is even closer than SLC. Stranger things have happened, tho....

fraspotter

Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:34 am

At the very most I could see regional service to SLC. According to Google Maps its 1.5 hour drive. This reminds me of College Station, TX (CLL) home to Texas A&M University only having service to IAH and DFW on UA and AA and they're around the same distance from Houston as Logan is from SLC. Both College Station and Logan are college towns which could create a draw however the Bryan/College Station metro area and Texas A&M are both MUCH bigger than Logan and Utah State. Only reason I could realistically see Logan ever getting air service is through either a drastic population increase both in city and university population or through EAS which almost certainly won't happen due to their proximity to SLC.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

redzeppelin

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:17 pm

I think that LGU would be a solid add for Allegiant if the terminal facilities were there. G4 seems to be doing well with both PVU and OGD, and I think that LGU has similar potential.

Other best bet would be UA to DEN. I could see OO attempting it at-risk with a CR2 if the terminal facilities were there. I would also love to see UA/OO try PVU or OGD to DEN. Conventional A.net wisdom would say that they can't compete with their SLC ops, but I think they would be segmenting and stealing more DL pax than splitting their own.

LGU-SLC is very unlikely, IMO.

A decade ago, I would have suggested that QX make LGU part of triangular with IDA or PIH, but QX doesn't do many of those now. When AS vs DL was heating up in SEA, and AS started adding flights at SLC, I was hoping they would open a secondary airport like LGU or PVU where they could be a thorn in DL's side. AS could fill E75s to California from any Utah airport. Maybe we will see it happen as AS grows more in California.

nadavatar64

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:48 pm

I think UA to DEN or AA to PHX are the most likely to happen.

usdcaguy

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:41 am

Why wouldn't DL do a bus add if UA does that to certain towns in CO from DEN? It would arguably be more efficient and cheaper to have a DL office in Logan with a bus stop and check-in facilities. I know that wouldn't happen anymore, it's just nice to think outside the box, like they used to do 30 years ago.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos