Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
DCA-ROCguy
Posts: 4206
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2000 5:03 am

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:29 am

Denver built a 16,000' runway. Photo on p. 45 of the SLC master plan looks like there'd be plenty of room at SLC to extend one or both parallel 16-34 runways to that length, to the north. So why not just extend an SLC runway to 16,000'? Could that deal with the range / weight penalty problem for most potential Asia destinations? Shanghai might still be a problem, but at least the other cities might fall within A350 / 787 range. SLC-ICN is only 5,904 mi on Great Circle Mapper.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)
 
User avatar
redzeppelin
Topic Author
Posts: 1180
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Tue May 26, 2020 3:14 pm

I realize that this issue has already generated a separate thread, but I think that it's good to make sure that there is a record of it here:

Due to reduced demand resulting from the pandemic, airport leadership has proposed a plan to accelerate construction. When Phase 1 opens this fall, they intend to fully demolish the existing structures, rather than keeping two of the old concourses in operation as planned. This plan assumes that there won't be an immediate return to previous traffic volumes. They believe that this approach will cut two years from the previous timeline and reduce cost by $300M. The two old concourses were expected to stay open while the eastern reach of the new south concourse was built in place of the current terminals and parking garage. Once that concourse was done, the old concourses would have to be removed to make space for ramp work and for finishing the north concourse. The airport believes they can save time and money by taking it all down right away. They propose expanding hardstand operations if there is a surge in traffic.

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/5/25/ ... e-millions

“What we’re proposing to do, instead of keeping old Concourse B and old Concourse C open (during construction), is tear down the existing airport facilities after the new SLC phase one is open,” Wyatt told the advisory board. “Tear them all down at once.”
“What that means is we won’t actually have to use any parts of the old airport after October of this year,” Wyatt told the Deseret News. “And so we can tear it all down, and it won’t be in our way as we do the second phase of the airport.”
Now, Wyatt said the entire airport project’s completion is slated for December of 2024, rather than early 2027.

Photos from Deseret News:
Image
Image
 
Prost
Posts: 2570
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Tue May 26, 2020 4:09 pm

Where will the light rail train station be at the new terminal, or will it still be where it is and people need to walk over to the new terminal?
 
slcguy
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:09 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Tue May 26, 2020 7:25 pm

Prost wrote:
Where will the light rail train station be at the new terminal, or will it still be where it is and people need to walk over to the new terminal?


Eventually the light rail will extend to the new terminal but not initially. The extention of the rail line can't be completed until the existing roadway system feeding the old terminals and parking structure is closed. Due to the distance and hazards from the construction of the new rail and demolition on the old complex I doubt walking will be an option. They will probably use a shuttle bus system to get people from the rail station to the new terminal until the rail line is completed.
 
MD8090orDRIVE
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Tue May 26, 2020 8:07 pm

Prost wrote:
Where will the light rail train station be at the new terminal, or will it still be where it is and people need to walk over to the new terminal?


I was just thinking that when I got back to SLC yesterday, after taking my last MD-90 flight. I looked it up and Utah transit has a budget of 18.2 Million dollars to move the trax airport station west to be adjacent to the new terminal.
 
User avatar
FlyTheWidget
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 11:39 am

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Tue May 26, 2020 8:38 pm

That is correct about light rail. I was just at the SLC airport yesterday to take a look at the progress and noticed they are laying part of the new TRAX platform/station at the new location to the new terminal. Yes, they cannot connect the light rail to the new building yet as the new track does go right through the on-ramp/entrance to the current parking structure. It appears they are getting to work on both sides of that on- ramp and as soon as the move takes place to the new terminal, they will shut the current garage down and remove that on-ramp right away so they can connect the tracks to the new side. In the picture: RED is what they are working on for the new TRAX station. Green is the spot right where the new line has to go through the onramp to the current garage and the yellow is the current station location. (for the life of me, I can't get the photos to to upload here! Sorry- help! -sorry)
VISIT: flythewidget.com
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 786
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:52 am

Sorry if this has been posted, but check out the design on the future central tunnel

https://gordonhuether.com/news/additional-gordon-huether-artwork-to-be-installed-at-slc-intl-airport/

Looks kind a hybrid of the tunnel at DTW and ATL (between A & B)

Also, I heard the tunnel that is opening this year will only be temporary until the main tunnel is completed? Is that true? Why can’t they have two and what will the space be converted to when the central tunnel opens?
 
panam330
Posts: 2153
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:58 am

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:05 am

BNAMealer wrote:
Sorry if this has been posted, but check out the design on the future central tunnel

https://gordonhuether.com/news/additional-gordon-huether-artwork-to-be-installed-at-slc-intl-airport/

Looks kind a hybrid of the tunnel at DTW and ATL (between A & B)

Also, I heard the tunnel that is opening this year will only be temporary until the main tunnel is completed? Is that true? Why can’t they have two and what will the space be converted to when the central tunnel opens?

Oh, that looks incredible. I continue to be impressed with how well this project has been planned and executed, aside from the budget (which isn't bad, given what they're getting for the money, and the fact that they don't have a whole lot of control over spiraling material costs). It just feels like it's been done right - very few obvious corners have been cut, if any.
 
Utah744
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:05 am

DCA-ROCguy wrote:
Denver built a 16,000' runway. Photo on p. 45 of the SLC master plan looks like there'd be plenty of room at SLC to extend one or both parallel 16-34 runways to that length, to the north. So why not just extend an SLC runway to 16,000'? Could that deal with the range / weight penalty problem for most potential Asia destinations? Shanghai might still be a problem, but at least the other cities might fall within A350 / 787 range. SLC-ICN is only 5,904 mi on Great Circle Mapper.

Jim

Could be very expensive to extend runways to the North. Between the airport and the Great Salt Lake is all marsh land.
You are never too old to learn something stupid
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 786
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:26 pm

panam330 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
Sorry if this has been posted, but check out the design on the future central tunnel

https://gordonhuether.com/news/additional-gordon-huether-artwork-to-be-installed-at-slc-intl-airport/

Looks kind a hybrid of the tunnel at DTW and ATL (between A & B)

Also, I heard the tunnel that is opening this year will only be temporary until the main tunnel is completed? Is that true? Why can’t they have two and what will the space be converted to when the central tunnel opens?

Oh, that looks incredible. I continue to be impressed with how well this project has been planned and executed, aside from the budget (which isn't bad, given what they're getting for the money, and the fact that they don't have a whole lot of control over spiraling material costs). It just feels like it's been done right - very few obvious corners have been cut, if any.


Yes. This one has gone relatively smoothly compared to similar projects, both past and present.

DL should be excited that 3 of their 4 core interior hubs (ATL, DTW, SLC) will have the linear concourse layout. I don’t care what anyone says, that is hands down the most efficient layout for a connecting hub. It gives DL a wide competitive advantage over AA/UA for sure.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 7791
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:48 pm

Utah744 wrote:
DCA-ROCguy wrote:
Denver built a 16,000' runway. Photo on p. 45 of the SLC master plan looks like there'd be plenty of room at SLC to extend one or both parallel 16-34 runways to that length, to the north. So why not just extend an SLC runway to 16,000'? Could that deal with the range / weight penalty problem for most potential Asia destinations? Shanghai might still be a problem, but at least the other cities might fall within A350 / 787 range. SLC-ICN is only 5,904 mi on Great Circle Mapper.

Jim

Could be very expensive to extend runways to the North. Between the airport and the Great Salt Lake is all marsh land.


Apart from the expense, and the expected use and ROIC of such a long runway, SLC is at a lower elevation and doesn't need the same runway length as DEN to offer the same range:

SLC, 4230 feet

DEN, 5433 feet

Wasn't there a thread just a few days ago that discussed the impact of JNB's elevation vs. Dubai's heat?
 
DLASFlyer
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:02 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
Sorry if this has been posted, but check out the design on the future central tunnel

https://gordonhuether.com/news/additional-gordon-huether-artwork-to-be-installed-at-slc-intl-airport/

Looks kind a hybrid of the tunnel at DTW and ATL (between A & B)

Also, I heard the tunnel that is opening this year will only be temporary until the main tunnel is completed? Is that true? Why can’t they have two and what will the space be converted to when the central tunnel opens?

Wait, the artwork won’t be finished until 2024? That’s longer than it took to build the new terminal.
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 786
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:30 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
Sorry if this has been posted, but check out the design on the future central tunnel

https://gordonhuether.com/news/additional-gordon-huether-artwork-to-be-installed-at-slc-intl-airport/

Looks kind a hybrid of the tunnel at DTW and ATL (between A & B)

Also, I heard the tunnel that is opening this year will only be temporary until the main tunnel is completed? Is that true? Why can’t they have two and what will the space be converted to when the central tunnel opens?

Wait, the artwork won’t be finished until 2024? That’s longer than it took to build the new terminal.


This is for the main central tunnel, which won’t open until the entire project is completed in 2024. It is separate from the tunnel that is opening with the first part in September, which apparently will only be temporary until the central tunnel opens.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 19762
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:17 pm

DCA-ROCguy wrote:
Denver built a 16,000' runway. Photo on p. 45 of the SLC master plan looks like there'd be plenty of room at SLC to extend one or both parallel 16-34 runways to that length, to the north. So why not just extend an SLC runway to 16,000'? Could that deal with the range / weight penalty problem for most potential Asia destinations? Shanghai might still be a problem, but at least the other cities might fall within A350 / 787 range. SLC-ICN is only 5,904 mi on Great Circle Mapper.

Jim

I didn't see a reply to this.

When a cube mate worked on the PW4170 a LONG time ago, he would show me the charts with the issues at SLC being climb performance after takeoff with an engine out due to flight paths and geography. For most twins, a longer runway would have little benefit. Where a wider and longer runway would help is icy takeoffs.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.
 
HNLSLCPDX
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:48 pm

Looking forward to this new terminal. Will be a great addition for DL. It will also make a connection a lot more smooth than going though a place such as DEN.

Once flew CNY-DEN-PDX and has to connect in DEN. I arrived on A concourse on the East side then left on the end of B concourse west side. Long walks and a hassle.
Last edited by HNLSLCPDX on Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
sprxUSA
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:17 am

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:53 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Looking forward to this new terminal. Will be a great addition for DL. It will also make a connection a lot more smooth than going though a place such as DEN.

One flew CNY-DEN-PDX and has to connect in DEN. I arrived on A concourse on the East side then left on the end of B concourse west side. Long walks and a hassle.


In what way??
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"
 
HNLSLCPDX
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:38 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Looking forward to this new terminal. Will be a great addition for DL. It will also make a connection a lot more smooth than going though a place such as DEN.

One flew CNY-DEN-PDX and has to connect in DEN. I arrived on A concourse on the East side then left on the end of B concourse west side. Long walks and a hassle.


In what way??

Tight connection of 35 minutes with a long walk, even with the train
 
FriscoHeavy
Posts: 1730
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:19 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
panam330 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
Sorry if this has been posted, but check out the design on the future central tunnel

https://gordonhuether.com/news/additional-gordon-huether-artwork-to-be-installed-at-slc-intl-airport/

Looks kind a hybrid of the tunnel at DTW and ATL (between A & B)

Also, I heard the tunnel that is opening this year will only be temporary until the main tunnel is completed? Is that true? Why can’t they have two and what will the space be converted to when the central tunnel opens?

Oh, that looks incredible. I continue to be impressed with how well this project has been planned and executed, aside from the budget (which isn't bad, given what they're getting for the money, and the fact that they don't have a whole lot of control over spiraling material costs). It just feels like it's been done right - very few obvious corners have been cut, if any.


Yes. This one has gone relatively smoothly compared to similar projects, both past and present.

DL should be excited that 3 of their 4 core interior hubs (ATL, DTW, SLC) will have the linear concourse layout. I don’t care what anyone says, that is hands down the most efficient layout for a connecting hub. It gives DL a wide competitive advantage over AA/UA for sure.


You may not care what anyone says about the efficiency of the layout, but it certainly doesn’t mean you are right.

I actually have much different thoughts about it than you do. If I’m going to take your approach, then DFW is the most efficient layout I could think of. I can be at any gate from any other gate in 10-15 minutes.

We can disagree, but you certainly aren’t automatically right. The linear comcept isn’t the be all, end all.
Whatever
 
sprxUSA
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:17 am

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:23 pm

But that is a cardio workout. Heart racing worrying if you'll make it in time, anxiety of missing a train, hope the gate hasn't changed lol. I'm glad to see someone flying out of Moab. :)
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"
 
User avatar
OzarkD9S
Posts: 5640
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:31 am

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:51 pm

Guess I'll miss out on the new parts of the terminal as I'm flying STL-MSP-BOI-SLC-STL in early August. What's the state of open eateries at the moment? I've got about 2 hours in SLC and plan on grabbing lunch there on my layover.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio
 
DLASFlyer
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:23 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
Guess I'll miss out on the new parts of the terminal as I'm flying STL-MSP-BOI-SLC-STL in early August. What's the state of open eateries at the moment? I've got about 2 hours in SLC and plan on grabbing lunch there on my layover.


About a third of restaurants open in SLC as of this week.
 
DLASFlyer
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:24 am

DLASFlyer wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:
Guess I'll miss out on the new parts of the terminal as I'm flying STL-MSP-BOI-SLC-STL in early August. What's the state of open eateries at the moment? I've got about 2 hours in SLC and plan on grabbing lunch there on my layover.


About a third of restaurants open in SLC as of this week. Recommend Market Street Grill.
 
User avatar
OzarkD9S
Posts: 5640
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:31 am

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:12 am

DLASFlyer wrote:

About a third of restaurants open in SLC as of this week.


Thanks so much for the info.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio
 
oosnowrat
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:31 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
Thanks so much for the info.


I always have a beer or two at Squatters (near C5). The food is good, too.
 
User avatar
OzarkD9S
Posts: 5640
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:31 am

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:47 am

oosnowrat wrote:

I always have a beer or two at Squatters (near C5). The food is good, too.


Good to know, thanks.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio
 
User avatar
redzeppelin
Topic Author
Posts: 1180
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:28 pm

SLC twitter just posted this picture of a DL A321 being used for gate fitting tests on the new A concourse. Opening is less than 3 months away!
Image

Source:
https://twitter.com/slcairport/status/1 ... 0101874689
 
User avatar
redzeppelin
Topic Author
Posts: 1180
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:05 pm

Here is a recent aerial view from SLC website, looking northwest.. The structural work for Phase 1 is pretty much complete.

Image
source: https://www.slcairport.com/thenewslc/re ... s-gallery/
 
flyoregon
Posts: 777
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:22 pm

redzeppelin wrote:
Here is a recent aerial view from SLC website, looking northwest.. The structural work for Phase 1 is pretty much complete.

Image
source: https://www.slcairport.com/thenewslc/re ... s-gallery/


New terminals look nice!

I find it a bit bittersweet however. I have fond memories of the current soon to be old SLC even though they're not the most stylish, modern, or inviting. My favorite memory is flying into SLC on Halloween night 2000 when I was 14 years old from PDX on a Southwest 737-300 (back when they had the club style seats still). I remember taxiing to the gate and seeing a Delta L1011 and being star struck. I thought that was pretty awesome. I know Portland use to get L1011's, but that was the first time I'd seen one up close.

Anyway, out with the old, in with the new, and the new looks pretty great and I'm excited to experience it in person.
 
gaystudpilot
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:55 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:11 pm

flyoregon wrote:
My favorite memory is flying into SLC on Halloween night 2000 when I was 14 years old from PDX on a Southwest 737-300 (back when they had the club style seats still). I remember taxiing to the gate and seeing a Delta L1011 and being star struck. I thought that was pretty awesome. I know Portland use to get L1011's, but that was the first time I'd seen one up close.


I love these stories. Mine, from a similar age, was seeing a Concorde taking off at LHR.

SLC will be a really nice airport when complete. I’m always fascinated by the planning and execution of building a new terminal (and more in this case) on top of an existing, operational airport. Yes, it’s inconvenient for a few years, but it’s a fantastic feat. My partner says he’d love his company to have a fraction of the project management skills that go into a project like SLC as they struggle and are overwhelmed with most projects.
 
User avatar
redzeppelin
Topic Author
Posts: 1180
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:00 pm

flyoregon wrote:
New terminals look nice!

I find it a bit bittersweet however. I have fond memories of the current soon to be old SLC even though they're not the most stylish, modern, or inviting.


Agreed. I grew up in southern Idaho, but SLC was the local airport. I have fond (but increasingly faint) memories of exploring the SLC concourses while at the airport to drop off or pick up family members. That was in the 80s and 90s when airside access was not restricted. I remember watching in awe as WA DC-10s would come and go from the gates, and later DL Tristars and 767s. I loved to trace the classic route map on the floor in Terminal 1. We were a simple farming family, and trips to the airport were very rare and special times. My own first flight was SLC-JFK on a Delta L1011. Looking at my flight log today, I have 406 segments, with 214 of those touching SLC. It has been my local airport for most of my life, but my most active flying years were living in Montana and making frequent connections in SLC. Many great memories.

I'll miss the old terminals. It may sound strange, but I'll also miss the old parking garage. As a regular visitor, I take some pride in my knowledge of the airport--the best parking spots, the best drop-off lanes, the best napping spots, hidden power outlets, least crowded bathrooms, secret menu items at food vendors, best ramp viewing spots, knowing which terminal will have the shortest security lines, etc. I guess that the new place will give me a chance to discover all of that again.
 
TWA902fly
Posts: 3123
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 1999 5:47 am

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:23 pm

I agree with the posters above, I too have fond memories. I used to attend summer camp in southern Utah when I was a kid (summers 1999-2001), and we'd fly into/out of SLC. I even got to fly ORD-SLC on the Spirit of Delta (767-200) one of those times. The other times was United 727s on ORD-SLC. So I have fond memories of waiting around baggage claim with a few people who I am still good friends with to this day. Then later as an adult, every time I passed through SLC airport, I would have all those sweet memories of childhood summers come back to me, I even lived in Salt Lake for a year in 2010-2011.

All that said, I'm looking forward to trying out the new SLC once it opens up.

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on
 
User avatar
william
Posts: 3325
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 1999 1:31 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:53 pm

redzeppelin wrote:
Here is a recent aerial view from SLC website, looking northwest.. The structural work for Phase 1 is pretty much complete.

Image
source: https://www.slcairport.com/thenewslc/re ... s-gallery/


So when it opens, does everyone move over to the new gates and the old concourses, parking lot and terminal are quickly torn down?
 
tnair1974
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:43 pm

lightsaber wrote:
DCA-ROCguy wrote:
Denver built a 16,000' runway. Photo on p. 45 of the SLC master plan looks like there'd be plenty of room at SLC to extend one or both parallel 16-34 runways to that length, to the north. So why not just extend an SLC runway to 16,000'? Could that deal with the range / weight penalty problem for most potential Asia destinations? Shanghai might still be a problem, but at least the other cities might fall within A350 / 787 range. SLC-ICN is only 5,904 mi on Great Circle Mapper.

Jim

I didn't see a reply to this.

When a cube mate worked on the PW4170 a LONG time ago, he would show me the charts with the issues at SLC being climb performance after takeoff with an engine out due to flight paths and geography. For most twins, a longer runway would have little benefit. Where a wider and longer runway would help is icy takeoffs.

Lightsaber

I was not mindful of longer runways helping for wintry/icy takeoffs, nice info.

About 15 years ago, one of my uncles (a private pilot) had an interesting chat with a DL pilot concerning the Salt Lake Valley. A key issue is that SLC is virtually surrounded by high terrain. DEN, while higher in elevation, only has the Rockies on one side. Granted, the mountains around SLC aren't exactly at the airport's doorstep like at EGE. Still, all that high ground around SLC does indeed require pilots to be extra mindful of a plane's engine out performance figures, especially for twins (which of course lose half their power if an engine gives up the ghost).

So twins that have less spritely single engine climb rates may need payload restrictions out of SLC regardless of how long the runway is. This includes the MD-80 series (although the shorter MD-87 might have better power to weight stats) and perhaps 737-400s. Delta used their MD-88s at SLC relatively few times at least in part due to single engine climb limits. DL MD-88s were even more rare during the summer for longer flights, but were somewhat more common at SLC during the cooler months. Lower outside temperatures allow for better density altitude thus better engine performance//better wing lift....all leading to better takeoff/climb performance.

Now just maybe a longer SLC runway could benefit a few twins. If such twins already have adequate single engine climb rates even at maximum gross weight take off, then the extra runway could make possible more very long hauls by the likes of 787s/A350s (any pilots/dispatchers/etc feel free to chime in). Putting out of mind for a moment if there would be enough need at SLC to warrant the longer runway.
 
User avatar
redzeppelin
Topic Author
Posts: 1180
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:12 pm

william wrote:
So when it opens, does everyone move over to the new gates and the old concourses, parking lot and terminal are quickly torn down?


The old terminals and parking structure come down immediately. The original plan was that two of the old concourses would remain with a temporary connection to the new terminal while the new concourses are extended to the east. That plan would require additional construction phases to demolish the last two concourses and then build the last bits of the new structure. In the aerial photos you can see the temporary connection that was built from the northeast corner of the new terminal and bridging to the airside corridor between concourses C&D just below the T2 ramp tower.

Due to the Covid downturn, they have proposed to immediately demolish everything and proceed with the full build-out. That will result in significant cost and time savings. Any traffic surges in the meantime would be handled by hardstand operations.
 
gaystudpilot
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:55 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:34 pm

redzeppelin wrote:
william wrote:
So when it opens, does everyone move over to the new gates and the old concourses, parking lot and terminal are quickly torn down?


The old terminals and parking structure come down immediately. The original plan was that two of the old concourses would remain with a temporary connection to the new terminal while the new concourses are extended to the east. That plan would require additional construction phases to demolish the last two concourses and then build the last bits of the new structure. In the aerial photos you can see the temporary connection that was built from the northeast corner of the new terminal and bridging to the airside corridor between concourses C&D just below the T2 ramp tower.

Due to the Covid downturn, they have proposed to immediately demolish everything and proceed with the full build-out. That will result in significant cost and time savings. Any traffic surges in the meantime would be handled by hardstand operations.


What is the plan for Concourse B/ North Concourse? Will the portion originally noted as “future expansion” be completed soon rather than later?

What is the proper naming convention for the concourses? I have seen A/B and South/North.
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 786
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:35 pm

gaystudpilot wrote:
redzeppelin wrote:
william wrote:
So when it opens, does everyone move over to the new gates and the old concourses, parking lot and terminal are quickly torn down?


The old terminals and parking structure come down immediately. The original plan was that two of the old concourses would remain with a temporary connection to the new terminal while the new concourses are extended to the east. That plan would require additional construction phases to demolish the last two concourses and then build the last bits of the new structure. In the aerial photos you can see the temporary connection that was built from the northeast corner of the new terminal and bridging to the airside corridor between concourses C&D just below the T2 ramp tower.

Due to the Covid downturn, they have proposed to immediately demolish everything and proceed with the full build-out. That will result in significant cost and time savings. Any traffic surges in the meantime would be handled by hardstand operations.


What is the plan for Concourse B/ North Concourse? Will the portion originally noted as “future expansion” be completed soon rather than later?

What is the proper naming convention for the concourses? I have seen A/B and South/North.


It will be A/B.

I don’t think the additional 15 gates on the east end of B will be built anytime soon given the downturn. I hope I’m wrong.
 
rrbsztk
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:48 am

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:22 am

BNAMealer wrote:
gaystudpilot wrote:
redzeppelin wrote:

The old terminals and parking structure come down immediately. The original plan was that two of the old concourses would remain with a temporary connection to the new terminal while the new concourses are extended to the east. That plan would require additional construction phases to demolish the last two concourses and then build the last bits of the new structure. In the aerial photos you can see the temporary connection that was built from the northeast corner of the new terminal and bridging to the airside corridor between concourses C&D just below the T2 ramp tower.

Due to the Covid downturn, they have proposed to immediately demolish everything and proceed with the full build-out. That will result in significant cost and time savings. Any traffic surges in the meantime would be handled by hardstand operations.


What is the plan for Concourse B/ North Concourse? Will the portion originally noted as “future expansion” be completed soon rather than later?

What is the proper naming convention for the concourses? I have seen A/B and South/North.


It will be A/B.

I don’t think the additional 15 gates on the east end of B will be built anytime soon given the downturn. I hope I’m wrong.


I'm thinking they have some time before they have to decide if they build them or not right away. Article from DeseretNews (first report of accelerated construction in this thread) says they will now be done December 2024. They could probably decide as late as 2023 if they stop B at ~75% or keep going and build the last 15 gates. Might be the overall completion date gets pushed back but they should be able to have all of A and nearly all the B gates usable while they finish it.

Anyone know specifically in the new time line they would be closing the end of B/be able to leave it unfinished and not have to do any demo to finish B?
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 786
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:43 am

rrbsztk wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
gaystudpilot wrote:

What is the plan for Concourse B/ North Concourse? Will the portion originally noted as “future expansion” be completed soon rather than later?

What is the proper naming convention for the concourses? I have seen A/B and South/North.


It will be A/B.

I don’t think the additional 15 gates on the east end of B will be built anytime soon given the downturn. I hope I’m wrong.


I'm thinking they have some time before they have to decide if they build them or not right away. Article from DeseretNews (first report of accelerated construction in this thread) says they will now be done December 2024. They could probably decide as late as 2023 if they stop B at ~75% or keep going and build the last 15 gates. Might be the overall completion date gets pushed back but they should be able to have all of A and nearly all the B gates usable while they finish it.

Anyone know specifically in the new time line they would be closing the end of B/be able to leave it unfinished and not have to do any demo to finish B?


The OP was talking about the area designated as future expansion on Concourse B in the diagrams. That is an area where 15 additional gates could be built in the future. It was not scheduled to be built even pre-COVID. They’ll finish what they had planned for B due to the central tunnel.
 
rrbsztk
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:48 am

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:01 am

BNAMealer wrote:
rrbsztk wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

It will be A/B.

I don’t think the additional 15 gates on the east end of B will be built anytime soon given the downturn. I hope I’m wrong.


I'm thinking they have some time before they have to decide if they build them or not right away. Article from DeseretNews (first report of accelerated construction in this thread) says they will now be done December 2024. They could probably decide as late as 2023 if they stop B at ~75% or keep going and build the last 15 gates. Might be the overall completion date gets pushed back but they should be able to have all of A and nearly all the B gates usable while they finish it.

Anyone know specifically in the new time line they would be closing the end of B/be able to leave it unfinished and not have to do any demo to finish B?


The OP was talking about the area designated as future expansion on Concourse B in the diagrams. That is an area where 15 additional gates could be built in the future. It was not scheduled to be built even pre-COVID. They’ll finish what they had planned for B due to the central tunnel.


Gotcha. At one point on this thread (preCOVID) there was talk that they were going to go ahead right away with the 15 gate expansion.
 
oosnowrat
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:16 am

gaystudpilot wrote:
SLC will be a really nice airport when complete. I’m always fascinated by the planning and execution of building a new terminal (and more in this case) on top of an existing, operational airport. Yes, it’s inconvenient for a few years, but it’s a fantastic feat.


The thing about this project is that, at least from a pax perspective, the construction hasn't been all that inconvenient. Other than the hardstand ops for the OO CR2s (which has been handled well), there hasn't been much to complain about.
 
User avatar
KLMatSJC
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:16 am

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:08 am

oosnowrat wrote:
gaystudpilot wrote:
SLC will be a really nice airport when complete. I’m always fascinated by the planning and execution of building a new terminal (and more in this case) on top of an existing, operational airport. Yes, it’s inconvenient for a few years, but it’s a fantastic feat.


The thing about this project is that, at least from a pax perspective, the construction hasn't been all that inconvenient. Other than the hardstand ops for the OO CR2s (which has been handled well), there hasn't been much to complain about.

Where do they park those CRJs? I don't seem to see any in that would be at a "gate" in the photo above.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood
 
DLASFlyer
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:27 am

KLMatSJC wrote:
Where do they park those CRJs? I don't seem to see any in that would be at a "gate" in the photo above.


Hard stand CRJ ops only lasted a few months thanks to Covid. The CRJ-200s are parking at Concourse F now.
 
gaystudpilot
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:55 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:11 am

oosnowrat wrote:
gaystudpilot wrote:
SLC will be a really nice airport when complete. I’m always fascinated by the planning and execution of building a new terminal (and more in this case) on top of an existing, operational airport. Yes, it’s inconvenient for a few years, but it’s a fantastic feat.


The thing about this project is that, at least from a pax perspective, the construction hasn't been all that inconvenient. Other than the hardstand ops for the OO CR2s (which has been handled well), there hasn't been much to complain about.


Which means excellent project planning and execution. Kudos to SLC.
 
Bradin
Posts: 348
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:12 am

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:29 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
gaystudpilot wrote:
redzeppelin wrote:

The old terminals and parking structure come down immediately. The original plan was that two of the old concourses would remain with a temporary connection to the new terminal while the new concourses are extended to the east. That plan would require additional construction phases to demolish the last two concourses and then build the last bits of the new structure. In the aerial photos you can see the temporary connection that was built from the northeast corner of the new terminal and bridging to the airside corridor between concourses C&D just below the T2 ramp tower.

Due to the Covid downturn, they have proposed to immediately demolish everything and proceed with the full build-out. That will result in significant cost and time savings. Any traffic surges in the meantime would be handled by hardstand operations.


What is the plan for Concourse B/ North Concourse? Will the portion originally noted as “future expansion” be completed soon rather than later?

What is the proper naming convention for the concourses? I have seen A/B and South/North.


It will be A/B.

I don’t think the additional 15 gates on the east end of B will be built anytime soon given the downturn. I hope I’m wrong.


As part of the Master Plan found here: https://www.slcairport.com/assets/pdfDo ... 7-2019.pdf, it would be reasonable for SLC to accelerate the remaining planned construction of the North Concourse as soon as possible it would have the least amount of interference from the existing facilities. It would probably bring at least 6-8 additional gates (or more) online if traffic surges unexpectedly.

As part of the demolition of the old facilities, they could decommission the area in front of Concourse D fairly soon so they can at least start pouring the new concrete and foundation so they can begin work on completely the remaining north concourse. In theory, Concourse B would be finished first before Concourse A finishes up.
 
MD8090orDRIVE
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:29 am

oosnowrat wrote:
gaystudpilot wrote:
SLC will be a really nice airport when complete. I’m always fascinated by the planning and execution of building a new terminal (and more in this case) on top of an existing, operational airport. Yes, it’s inconvenient for a few years, but it’s a fantastic feat.


The thing about this project is that, at least from a pax perspective, the construction hasn't been all that inconvenient. Other than the hardstand ops for the OO CR2s (which has been handled well), there hasn't been much to complain about.


So true, no-hassle inside either terminal during the whole construction. The only pain was a slight change driving in and out of the complex with a new series of turns every few months but no pain inside the building. Now COVID-19 has to take some bows as they won't be spending some time using a mix of the old and the new. It probably would have been annoying to go through that.

I live in the Provo area and at times if I was coming home for 2 days would rent a car instead of having my wife pick me up or take the front runner (such a relaxing way to get to the airport mixed with Trax) It was so nice just walking across the road and jumping into my Hertz rental. I am guessing the new rental area will almost be as close but compared to other airports SLC was so easy, grab your bag, 1-minute walk to the rental car area and I would take more time selecting my rental car then I would take to get to the rental area.

The airport was getting old and needed more food options, but everything was right there easy to get too, food prices good for an airport, parking and rentals close enough that you could hit a sand wedge further than the distance you had to walk.

It looks like there will be more room for security theater, presently it can be pretty tight and a pain. I only hope there is more luggage carousals. Many a time I would shake my head when Delta would have flights from Idaho Falls and Boise in one, Spokane and Long Beach in another and yet for some reason, JFK, Detroit, MSP and Atlanta in a third with bags getting jammed and people fighting to try and get their suitcase. Part of me will miss the old buildings but very much time to move into the future.
 
flynlr
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:12 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:40 pm

some aerial views from april. meant to post these earlier.
Image
.
Image
.
Image
The Right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
 
HNLSLCPDX
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:23 am

Does anyone know once the new terminal is complete where the DL Connection SkyWest Crj200s will be assigned to parked?
 
User avatar
KLMatSJC
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:16 am

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:57 am

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Does anyone know once the new terminal is complete where the DL Connection SkyWest Crj200s will be assigned to parked?

With any luck, Kingman.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood
 
sprxUSA
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:17 am

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:39 am

But it doesn't look like the 'future SLC' that was depicted under glass for all those years lol.

My first flight alone was a Saturday in June 1983 BOI-SLC-BOI. Down on Frontier 737 and back Western 727. Nice WA pilot even bought my dinner for me at the old restaurant where McDs is/was now by C ( or whatever now) concourse. Fun trip.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"
 
panam330
Posts: 2153
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:58 am

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:30 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Does anyone know once the new terminal is complete where the DL Connection SkyWest Crj200s will be assigned to parked?

With any luck, Kingman.

:rotfl: I needed that, thanks.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos