Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BowlingShoeDC9

Re: SLC Terminal Construction Updates

Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:49 pm

flynlr wrote:
some aerial views from april. meant to post these earlier.

Looks like a mini-DTW.

kavok

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:16 pm

So where exactly does the underground tunnel run to connect the new north and south concourses? I ask because in the aerial photos, it doesn’t appear that the as built North Concourse stretches far enough east (currently) to align with the “entry hall” from the head house on the south concourse. Using the DTW comparison, the DTW tunnel almost aligns with the entrance/exit from the head house. (Yes I know it is technically slightly to the south at DTW).

Does that mean the underground tunnel is off centered and is slightly to the west in SLC? Or will there be a IAD C-terminal “offset situation” until the rest of the North Concourse gets built?

rrbsztk

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:35 pm

kavok wrote:
So where exactly does the underground tunnel run to connect the new north and south concourses? I ask because in the aerial photos, it doesn’t appear that the as built North Concourse stretches far enough east (currently) to align with the “entry hall” from the head house on the south concourse. Using the DTW comparison, the DTW tunnel almost aligns with the entrance/exit from the head house. (Yes I know it is technically slightly to the south at DTW).

Does that mean the underground tunnel is off centered and is slightly to the west in SLC? Or will there be a IAD C-terminal “offset situation” until the rest of the North Concourse gets built?

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/20 ... ried-back/

They had built a tunnel in 2004 when doing tarmac work that's west of the head house which they will use temporarily.

"Eventually, the renovated airport also will have another main, central tunnel to connect the parallel concourses. That is scheduled for a later, second phase of construction because the current Concourse D used by Delta Air Lines would need to be demolished first."

RollerRB211

Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:21 am

MD8090orDRIVE wrote:
It looks like there will be more room for security theater, presently it can be pretty tight and a pain. I only hope there is more luggage carousals. Many a time I would shake my head when Delta would have flights from Idaho Falls and Boise in one, Spokane and Long Beach in another and yet for some reason, JFK, Detroit, MSP and Atlanta in a third with bags getting jammed and people fighting to try and get their suitcase. Part of me will miss the old buildings but very much time to move into the future.

I took a tour of the new terminal this week and it is getting pretty close to being finished and they fully expect a 15SEP opening date for concourse A and concourse B is expected to open 45 days later. The TSA area is very large but has the same number of lanes as T1 and T2 combined but they are using X-ray machines that have bins built into them (like LHR) that will increase the throughput. Delta only has 3 domestic baggage belts, which is a decrease from the current number but they are much larger. The International arrivals hallway appear to be a similar setup as the one currently used on concourse D. It's on the departures level and doors need to be opened and closed which may blocking boarding of flights on adjacent gates.

DLASFlyer

Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:47 pm

I have confirmed with SLC management that the new terminal and Councourse A will open September 15th. The midfield Concourse B will follow on October 27th. Concourse E has already been demolished and D will close soon. C, F and G will continue operating for some time after the new airport opens.

chonetsao

Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:36 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
I have confirmed with SLC management that the new terminal and Councourse A will open September 15th. The midfield Concourse B will follow on October 27th. Concourse E has already been demolished and D will close soon. C, F and G will continue operating for some time after the new airport opens.

I am a little bit confused with the Concourse number. I think the old terminal concourse number is anti-clockwise, so it was E-D-C-B-A if you look at the map with North up. I know E, most close to the NEW A and NEW B is demolished. So am I right to assume the OLD A and OLD B (the most east in the airport) will become G and F respectfully? If so that it would make sense to me on which terminals would be demolished and which would be kept open.

timf

Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:45 pm

chonetsao wrote:
DLASFlyer wrote:

I am a little bit confused with the Concourse number. I think the old terminal concourse number is anti-clockwise, so it was E-D-C-B-A if you look at the map with North up. I know E, most close to the NEW A and NEW B is demolished. So am I right to assume the OLD A and OLD B (the most east in the airport) will become G and F respectfully? If so that it would make sense to me on which terminals would be demolished and which would be kept open.

The old A and B were already renamed G and F last year.

chonetsao

Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:51 pm

timf wrote:
The old A and B were already renamed G and F last year.

Thanks. The Google Map still shows gate number as A1-A8 and B1-B22...Hence the confusion.

TYWoolman

Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:29 pm

Does anyone know how many new gates and across what terminals will Delta operate in?

TropicalSky

Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:39 pm

Any new pics ?

DLASFlyer

Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:44 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
Does anyone know how many new gates and across what terminals will Delta operate in?

The west portion of Concourse A opening on Sept 15th will have 25 gates, all of which are for Delta. That's not enough for their entire operation so I suspect Delta will also continue using C and maybe some of F. By my count Delta is currently using about 33 gates at SLC. Pre-pandemic it was significantly more. The western half of Concourse B opening in October will have 20 gates, but I do not believe any of those are for Delta.

timf

Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:52 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
The west portion of Concourse A opening on Sept 15th will have 25 gates, all of which are for Delta. That's not enough for their entire operation so I suspect Delta will also continue using C and maybe some of F. By my count Delta is currently using about 33 gates at SLC. Pre-pandemic it was significantly more. The western half of Concourse B opening in October will have 20 gates, but I do not believe any of those are for Delta.

Have they given up on the idea of shutting down all the old concourses when Concourse B opens? It sounds like Concourse A West should be big enough for all of Delta's mainline operations, but Connection would still need the old concourses.

amcnd

Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:47 pm

Delta will have 25 in A plus 7 in B. Plus hard stands for RJ’s when it opens this fall..

redzeppelin
Topic Author

Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:17 pm

TropicalSky wrote:
Any new pics ?

On Twitter, SLC announced that they are shooting the terminal interior with a drone to create a virtual fly-through tour. I'm looking forward to that.

This is the latest from the official gallery:

redzeppelin
Topic Author

Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:20 pm

Murals in mid-concourse tunnel, from Twitter @SLCAirport:
https://twitter.com/slcairport/status/1 ... 1352229889

C525C

Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:06 pm

redzeppelin wrote:
Queue the conspiracy theorists!

RollerRB211

Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:58 am

DLASFlyer wrote:

I took a tour of the new facility last month and was told that C, F & G will close once concourse B opens.

teriyaki

Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:32 am

Those art sculpture walls are going to be a real pain to clean and keep the dust off.

Prost

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:16 am

BowlingShoeDC9 wrote:
flynlr wrote:

Looks like a mini-DTW.

The rats in the offices are much more polite.
Not a dig on Detroit, the city, but DTW, the hellhole that was the old terminal.

BowlingShoeDC9

Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:16 pm

Prost wrote:
BowlingShoeDC9 wrote:
flynlr wrote:

Looks like a mini-DTW.

The rats in the offices are much more polite.
Not a dig on Detroit, the city, but DTW, the hellhole that was the old terminal.

Yeah I’ve heard the old terminal was pretty bad. But I never flew to Detroit while it was still in service. I’ve only known the McNamara Terminal which is honestly the nicest terminal I’ve ever been to.

nwray

Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:30 pm

How will international arrivals be handled when the new terminal opens?

RollerRB211

Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:58 pm

nwray wrote:
The ~5 gates on the northeast side of concourse A are international swing gates and will open on 9/15.

DLASFlyer

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:02 pm

nwray wrote:

Sadly SLC has exactly one international flight per day right now. Delta to Mexico City. That's it.

HNLSLCPDX

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:16 pm

RollerRB211 wrote:
nwray wrote:
The ~5 gates on the northeast side of concourse A are international swing gates and will open on 9/15.

It’s actually 6 gates will be available for international arrivals. Three of them can be used for wide body aircraft. Hopefully next summer or 2022, all the Canadian and Mexican cities, as well as LHR, CDG, and AMS (on both KL & DL) will be back.

USAirALB

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:37 pm

redzeppelin wrote:

I really like the murals, but something about them (combined with the dropped ceiling tiles) look straight out of the 1970s/1980s.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

RollerRB211

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:14 pm

Here's a pic I haven't seen posted before

http://ibb.co/bvX4RHY

nwray

Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:20 pm

RollerRB211 wrote:
nwray wrote:

So does that mean new customs facilities were built underneath the new concourse A to replace the IAB?

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:04 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
nwray wrote:

Sadly SLC has exactly one international flight per day right now. Delta to Mexico City. That's it.

It won't be that way forever - or maybe even 36 months. Airport terminals are long-lived assets that result from lengthy planning and funding processes.

DLASFlyer

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:25 pm

USAirALB wrote:
redzeppelin wrote:

I really like the murals, but something about them (combined with the dropped ceiling tiles) look straight out of the 1970s/1980s.

My understanding is this tunnel is temporary until one can be built from the center of A to the center of B.

redzeppelin
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:42 pm

RollerRB211 wrote:
Here's a pic I haven't seen posted before

http://ibb.co/bvX4RHY

Thanks for posting that. It gives some good context to prior discussion in the thread. It clearly shows the mid-concourse tunnel and shows the placement of the main tunnel for the next phase. It also shows the "IAB BY-PASS" intended to temporarily link the new terminal to the old concourses. It also shows the hardstand locations that were used for CR2 operations after demolition of the E concourse. Lots of good stuff!

BNAMealer

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:16 am

DLASFlyer wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
redzeppelin wrote:

My understanding is this tunnel is temporary until one can be built from the center of A to the center of B.

Why can’t they keep both? Why waste all the money making this one nice only to close it in 3-4 years?

alasizon

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:26 am

BNAMealer wrote:
DLASFlyer wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

Why can’t they keep both? Why waste all the money making this one nice only to close it in 3-4 years?

As I recall - this will be the back-up tunnel should there be any issues down the road with the main tunnel.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

BNAMealer

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:53 am

alasizon wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
DLASFlyer wrote:

As I recall - this will be the back-up tunnel should there be any issues down the road with the main tunnel.

What issues could there be that would require the main tunnel to close? It’s a pedestrian tunnel so it’s not like there’s a lot of mechanical issues to deal with.

I don’t see why they can’t keep both open.

C525C

Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:07 am

USAirALB wrote:
redzeppelin wrote:

That's a good thing!!!

redzeppelin
Topic Author

Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:54 am

Unveiling Ceremony for the new terminal will be tomorrow, Aug 27, at 9:30 MDT. It looks like it will be streamed live. Details here:
https://slcairport.com/blog/ad/ev/en/virtual/

redzeppelin
Topic Author

Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:59 pm

Pictures starting to come out now from the VIP unveiling today: See here: https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/8/27/ ... lar-travel
From Deseret News:

TYWoolman

Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:34 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
alasizon wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

What issues could there be that would require the main tunnel to close? It’s a pedestrian tunnel so it’s not like there’s a lot of mechanical issues to deal with.

Seems like this tunnel should remain for passenger connections being that it is mid-terminal. If not, perhaps the idea is to use as a secure personnel/security/equipment/airport transfer point between complexes (?)

TYWoolman

Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:22 pm

That was a great presentation! Great competency on that project! Hope to visit! Way to go SLC! Way to go Delta!

rrbsztk

Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:24 am

TYWoolman wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Seems like this tunnel should remain for passenger connections being that it is mid-terminal. If not, perhaps the idea is to use as a secure personnel/security/equipment/airport transfer point between complexes (?)

I've been thinking a bit about if they should keep that second tunnel open and a lot of it i think comes down to where delta is. The tunnel on the west side would be a great short cut if you're connecting on delta from gate B1 to A1. If you're connecting B1 to A30, the central tunnel is just as quick. Like wise if SLC is your final destination and you fly a different airline to gate B1, the central tunnel is just as quick to get you to baggage claim.

Anyone know if delta ultimately would be using the west side of both A and B?

TYWoolman

Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:59 am

rrbsztk wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

I've been thinking a bit about if they should keep that second tunnel open and a lot of it i think comes down to where delta is. The tunnel on the west side would be a great short cut if you're connecting on delta from gate B1 to A1. If you're connecting B1 to A30, the central tunnel is just as quick. Like wise if SLC is your final destination and you fly a different airline to gate B1, the central tunnel is just as quick to get you to baggage claim.

Anyone know if delta ultimately would be using the west side of both A and B?

I don't know the answer to Delta's future gate usage, but I think it comes down to what will be the most efficient traffic flows between terminals when pertaining to the tunnels.

slider

Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:10 pm

SLC did a masterful job with this entire project, especially the phasing and working in that footprint. Great success story for the airport, their general contractor, and all involved.

jetmatt777

Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:19 pm

slider wrote:
SLC did a masterful job with this entire project, especially the phasing and working in that footprint. Great success story for the airport, their general contractor, and all involved.

Agreed. DEN could learn a thing or two. Night and day difference in execution.

redzeppelin
Topic Author

Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:47 pm

More photos from the unveiling event.
From Ben Winslow on Twitter @BenWinslow:
https://twitter.com/BenWinslow/status/1 ... 8002660353

From Katie McKellar on Twitter @KatieMcKellar1:
Baggage Claim:
Concourse central plaza:

The Delta SkyClub (from @KatieMcKellar on Twitter):

redzeppelin
Topic Author

Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:52 pm

More from @KatieMcKellar1 on Twitter:

redzeppelin
Topic Author

Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:59 pm

This is the new meet & greet room intended to keep SLC's welcoming parties out of the main flow. Photos again from @BenWinslow and @KatieMcKellar on Twitter:

Re-creation of the much beloved world map from the floor of the old Terminal 1. I for one am still hoping that they can find a way to preserve the original appropriately before T1 is demolished. This installation doesn't inspire me in quite the same way:

Aloha717200

Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:38 am

Press release from SLC airport today:

https://slcairport.com/pressroom/news-r ... e-new-slc/

Looks like I'll be booking a flight for the 14th as that will be the last day all parts of the original airport will be accessible for travelers.

DLASFlyer

Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:08 am

Aloha717200 wrote:
Press release from SLC airport today:

https://slcairport.com/pressroom/news-r ... e-new-slc/

Looks like I'll be booking a flight for the 14th as that will be the last day all parts of the original airport will be accessible for travelers.

A one sentence press release? It says nothing about which parts of the old airport will be closing on the 15th.

Edit: Something seems to be wrong with the SLC website but other sources say D gates will be the only ones closing on Tuesday. The last day for C, F and G gates will be October 27th. Then I'm guessing it will be back to buses for some flights.

redzeppelin
Topic Author

Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:33 am

My understanding is that D gates and all T1/T2 landside facilities close after 9/14. I have a probable work trip coming on 9/16, so hoping to get a good look at things then.

TreyClarkPowell

Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:25 pm

Here is the full press release:

Salt Lake City International Airport Plans Transition to The New SLC

Salt Lake City, UT–The Salt Lake City Department of Airports (SLCDA) will be turning out
the lights on sections of the original airport the morning of Sept. 15 as the first phase of The New
SLC opens its doors.

Overnight, Terminals 1 and 2, the International Terminal and the parking garage will close and
the New SLC parking garage, central terminal and Concourse A-west will open for business.

Concourses C, F and G of the original airport will remain open for six weeks until Oct. 27 when
Concourse B-west opens. At that point, the following airlines will move into Concourse B:
Alaska, American, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest and United.

Passengers who have trips planned when the transition to the new parking garage occurs are
encouraged to park in the economy lot rather than in the original garage. Cars that are parked in
the original garage the morning of Sept. 15, will be moved to the new garage and a parking
attendant will be on site to assist passengers to locate their vehicles. There will be no access to
the original parking garage after Sept. 14 at midnight. During the remainder of 2020, the charge
to park in the garage will be reduced to $20 daily.

Passengers planning to travel the morning of Sept. 15 will access the airport via a new roadway.
An elevated roadway is available for passenger drop off, while passenger pick up is at ground
level. Passengers taking TRAX will take a shuttle from the end of the existing TRAX line to the
new airport for approx. eight months while the new TRAX line is build out to the new Terminal
building.

The first flight out Sept. 15 is Delta Air Lines flight #2020 from SLC to ATL departing at 6:00
a.m. The first flight to arrive is Delta’s flight #3540 from IDA. Passengers departing and arriving
will be greeted with a water salute and each will be given an airport coin to commemorate
opening day.

SLCDA has added a navigational map to the SLC International phone app to help passengers
find their way. The app is available to download on Google or Apple. The airport encourages all
passengers to allow extra time to find parking and access their gate, especially those flying out of
the original airport, since the walk from the new terminal to the original airport will take longer.
Due to the pandemic, access to the airport is remains limited to ticketed passengers, employees
or individuals doing business with the airport. Those picking up passengers should do so
curbside or in the parking garage. The Park and Wait lot is also available to drivers waiting to
pick up passengers.

For more information, go to www.slcairport.com

Aloha717200

Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:55 pm

I'll be staying a couple days to take final pictures of T1 and T2, as well as the D gates while I can. It's surreal to see the end of the old airport, considering that's where I first fell in love with aviation back in the early 90s, watching planes take off and land from the great vantage points of the old parking garage and the end of then-Concourse A.

Salt Lake has changed so much in the last 30 years. I can still see the the 727s that used to be parked at the B and C gates. The L-1011s at D. The MD-80s at A. It was an amazing time to love aviation. I'm going to miss the old facility greatly.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos