VCy
Topic Author
Posts: 420
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:01 am

Rumor: Cobalt to launch LCA - Gatwick, Frankfurt, Geneva & Year Round Dublin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:09 am

Cyprus's cobalt air is continuing it's expansion with the launch of London Gatwick, Frankfurt, a seasonal service to Geneva and Dublin going year round!

Having traveled with them a few times this year, I can say that I keep seeing improvements on each flight.

Wifi is expected to be launched soon, whereas the economy comfort seats are also expected to be rolled out on all aircraft.

Cobalt seems to also be doing quite well with connecting BEY & TLV passengers onwards to Europe.

Rumor has it that the next destinations to be announced soon will be Egypt, UAE & Russia.

All the best! :D
Last edited by SQ22 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No source cited, hence updated title to rumor
 
iiievolution
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:48 am

Re: Cobalt to launch LCA - Gatwick, Frankfurt, Geneva & Year Round Dublin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:10 am

Some more info for you. Abu Dhabi is starting soon. The comfort seats you mention will be converted in to a proper business class on all aircraft. A few more A320 aircraft will be joining the fleet during the winter and long haul operations are slated to begin Q3-4 2018 with most probably A330.
 
VCy
Topic Author
Posts: 420
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:01 am

Re: Cobalt to launch LCA - Gatwick, Frankfurt, Geneva & Year Round Dublin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:55 am

iiievolution wrote:
Some more info for you. Abu Dhabi is starting soon. The comfort seats you mention will be converted in to a proper business class on all aircraft. A few more A320 aircraft will be joining the fleet during the winter and long haul operations are slated to begin Q3-4 2018 with most probably A330.


Thank you for that! Do you know why Abu Dhabi was chosen over Dubai? Etihad couldn't make it work with their connections!

As far as the long haul is concerned, do you know if the first destination will be New York or Beijing?
 
iiievolution
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:48 am

Re: Cobalt to launch LCA - Gatwick, Frankfurt, Geneva & Year Round Dublin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:11 am

Most probably Abu Dhabi because there is no connection at the moment. Etihad stopped for other reasons, not because the route didn't work. First long haul will be Shanghai followed by New York later on. This is the plan.
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 1950
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Cobalt to launch LCA - Gatwick, Frankfurt, Geneva & Year Round Dublin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:17 am

VCy wrote:
iiievolution wrote:
Some more info for you. Abu Dhabi is starting soon. The comfort seats you mention will be converted in to a proper business class on all aircraft. A few more A320 aircraft will be joining the fleet during the winter and long haul operations are slated to begin Q3-4 2018 with most probably A330.


Thank you for that! Do you know why Abu Dhabi was chosen over Dubai? Etihad couldn't make it work with their connections!

As far as the long haul is concerned, do you know if the first destination will be New York or Beijing?


They said they wanted to start with China iirc. I hope they have competitive products. They sure are gonna need them. Also when you say ''proper business class'', does the word proper refer to Europe's idea of Business Class or a normal persons idea of it?

I assume they're getting more planes to launch these routes. I wish them the absolute best. They look like an amazing airline.
A350/CSeries = bae
 
P1aneMad
Posts: 389
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:05 pm

Re: Cobalt to launch LCA - Gatwick, Frankfurt, Geneva & Year Round Dublin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:27 am

Interesting airline.
Any info about their loadfactors and which destinations are performing better?
I am quite surprised that they haven't launched flights to Russia or the Ukraine. Demand for travel to Cyprus from these markets seems huge and continuously increasing.
 
by738
Posts: 3012
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: Cobalt to launch LCA - Gatwick, Frankfurt, Geneva & Year Round Dublin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:12 am

Did some other UK ports not appear for a short time on their drop down destination list ie NCL, GLA and CWL ?
Have they superceded these with grander plans?
 
iiievolution
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:48 am

Re: Cobalt to launch LCA - Gatwick, Frankfurt, Geneva & Year Round Dublin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:05 pm

By proper business class they mean a change from the present comfort seat class which is just a business class seat to a business class with airport lounge access, selection of meal, newspapers, heavier luggage included in the price, etc. probably more in par with a European business class model.

Load factors were very good this summer all flight being between 90% and 100% full. Russia and Ukrain are not in the EU so a bilateral agreement has to be made which also includes involvement of both governments. Russian operations are now with a 6 month delay in starting due to delays from the Russian side. I don't know details for this.

Yes NCL, GLA and CWL have always been in the plans and yes they did appear in the selectable destinations at one point but lack of suitable A320 availability and delayed delivery of the current fleet from previous owners/lessors will delay these destinations for the future in favor for destinations with much higher demand I.e. Frankfurt and Amsterdam ( Amsterdam starting most probably in summer 2018)
 
User avatar
albertocsc
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:09 pm

Re: Cobalt to launch LCA - Gatwick, Frankfurt, Geneva & Year Round Dublin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:29 pm

Does the start of services to LGW means relocating those that were serving STN?
Because Cobalt is quite a nice sight here, but maybe Gatwick is more convenient for them.
 
iiievolution
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:48 am

Re: Cobalt to launch LCA - Gatwick, Frankfurt, Geneva & Year Round Dublin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:26 pm

No STN will continue to run normally in parallel with Gatwick.
 
User001
Posts: 969
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Re: Cobalt to launch LCA - Gatwick, Frankfurt, Geneva & Year Round Dublin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:30 pm

They have also ended Birmingham flights from this winter.
 
P1aneMad
Posts: 389
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:05 pm

Re: Cobalt to launch LCA - Gatwick, Frankfurt, Geneva & Year Round Dublin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:53 pm

Great info iiievolution, thanks a lot!
 
Pavlakakos
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:51 am

Re: Cobalt to launch LCA - Gatwick, Frankfurt, Geneva & Year Round Dublin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:26 pm

OA940 wrote:
They said they wanted to start with China iirc. I hope they have competitive products. They sure are gonna need them. Also when you say ''proper business class'', does the word proper refer to Europe's idea of Business Class or a normal persons idea of it?

I assume they're getting more planes to launch these routes. I wish them the absolute best. They look like an amazing airline.


This should be a very interesting routing.
With Turkish airspace closed to Cypriot airlines and with Syrian/Iraqi airspace out of the question, a china route would have to go as far as TLV, then KWI, and only then turn northeast.... (although i have doubts a plane can cross Israeli airspace and then go to arab airspace so easily).
Great Circle shows LCA-TLV-KWI-PEK as 500 miles longer than LCA-PEK direct. Don't know if it would help towards competitive pricing.
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 1950
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Cobalt to launch LCA - Gatwick, Frankfurt, Geneva & Year Round Dublin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:18 pm

Pavlakakos wrote:
OA940 wrote:
They said they wanted to start with China iirc. I hope they have competitive products. They sure are gonna need them. Also when you say ''proper business class'', does the word proper refer to Europe's idea of Business Class or a normal persons idea of it?

I assume they're getting more planes to launch these routes. I wish them the absolute best. They look like an amazing airline.


This should be a very interesting routing.
With Turkish airspace closed to Cypriot airlines and with Syrian/Iraqi airspace out of the question, a china route would have to go as far as TLV, then KWI, and only then turn northeast.... (although i have doubts a plane can cross Israeli airspace and then go to arab airspace so easily).
Great Circle shows LCA-TLV-KWI-PEK as 500 miles longer than LCA-PEK direct. Don't know if it would help towards competitive pricing.


Is Turkish airspace really forbidden for Cypriot planes? Because of the 1974 invasion or did I miss something?
A350/CSeries = bae
 
MartijnNL
Posts: 784
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 am

Re: Cobalt to launch LCA - Gatwick, Frankfurt, Geneva & Year Round Dublin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:39 pm

Cobalt Air? I must have missed something. I have never heard of them. I will look up some information on the web soon. Anyway, thanks for the heads up!
 
Pavlakakos
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:51 am

Re: Cobalt to launch LCA - Gatwick, Frankfurt, Geneva & Year Round Dublin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:12 pm

OA940 wrote:

Is Turkish airspace really forbidden for Cypriot planes? Because of the 1974 invasion or did I miss something?


AFAIK Turkey does not recognize Cyprus, so letting Cobalt make use of its airspace would be -at least- unheard of.
And i recall that up to a few years back, when i flew frequenty SKG-LCA with Cyprus Airways, they'd go south untill RHO and then turn to the east.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5435
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Cobalt to launch LCA - Gatwick, Frankfurt, Geneva & Year Round Dublin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:31 pm

I am very surprised to see MAD is continuing in winter.

However they don't show connecting flights to BEY/TLV via LCA from MAD. Why?
 
User avatar
VCEflyboy
Posts: 1237
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:23 pm

Re: Rumor: Cobalt to launch LCA - Gatwick, Frankfurt, Geneva & Year Round Dublin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:18 pm

Their iata code is from Continental?
 
stylo777
Posts: 2745
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:32 pm

Re: Rumor: Cobalt to launch LCA - Gatwick, Frankfurt, Geneva & Year Round Dublin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:59 pm

Well, even more grotesque that one of their 320s spent almost its entire life in Turkey with different Turkish airlines. ;)
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 1950
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Cobalt to launch LCA - Gatwick, Frankfurt, Geneva & Year Round Dublin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:27 pm

Pavlakakos wrote:
OA940 wrote:

Is Turkish airspace really forbidden for Cypriot planes? Because of the 1974 invasion or did I miss something?


AFAIK Turkey does not recognize Cyprus, so letting Cobalt make use of its airspace would be -at least- unheard of.
And i recall that up to a few years back, when i flew frequenty SKG-LCA with Cyprus Airways, they'd go south untill RHO and then turn to the east.


Idk why I'm surprised considering they don't recognise the Greek border either...
A350/CSeries = bae

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos