Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rrapynot
Topic Author

Ground Stop in PHX Today

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:01 pm

There's a ground-stop in PHX today. Anyone know what's goign on there?

ilovepabst

Re: Ground Stop in PHX Today

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:12 pm

Smoke reported in PHX tower

SWALUV

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:23 pm

IWA should see some diverts then... Believe F9 already has a CLE-PHX flight on the ground for fuel

rrapynot
Topic Author

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:28 pm

My girlfriend was enroute from BOS and was diverted to TUS when they were 8 minutes from landing. Now TUS doesn't have the gates to handle arrivals.

travaz

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:42 pm

FOX 10 Phoenix‏Verified account @FOX10Phoenix 34m34 minutes ago
More
UPDATE: @PHXFire says smoke in control tower came from air handler, issue has been turned over to maintenance at @PHXSkyHarbor.

Seems under control As of 09:45 Flight Radar shows arrivals and departures in progress F9 is off AZA enroute to PHX

wn676

Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:00 pm

For AA I'm showing that at least 13 diversions went to TUS, 6 to ABQ, and 1 to LAS.

rrapynot
Topic Author

Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:29 pm

AA319 has been on the ground in TUS for over an hour waiting for fuel.

MO11

Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:36 pm

travaz wrote:
FOX 10 Phoenix‏Verified account @FOX10Phoenix 34m34 minutes ago
More
UPDATE: @PHXFire says smoke in control tower came from air handler, issue has been turned over to maintenance at @PHXSkyHarbor.

Eh, the place is 10 years old. Warranty expired.

rrapynot
Topic Author

Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:38 pm

Wondering how crew timeouts work. I know the limit is 8 hours.... so the crew on AA319 left Boston at 6.20am. Is departure when the 8 hours starts or is it when they enter the cockpit, or some other point?

ilovepabst

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:12 pm

rrapynot wrote:
Wondering how crew timeouts work. I know the limit is 8 hours.... so the crew on AA319 left Boston at 6.20am. Is departure when the 8 hours starts or is it when they enter the cockpit, or some other point?

Generally speaking it's a 9hr flight time /13hr duty time restriction per FAR 117. Duty time starts ticking at sign in.

rrapynot
Topic Author

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:34 pm

AA319 has been on the ground for over 3 hours and passengers are still onboard due to lack of air stairs. Crew called cops to remove a passenger and air stairs were miraculously found.

KGRB

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:50 pm

ilovepabst wrote:
rrapynot wrote:

Generally speaking it's a 9hr flight time /13hr duty time restriction per FAR 117. Duty time starts ticking at sign in.

ilovepabst (great handle, by the way) has it correct. Here are FAR117 tables A & B to give you an example how Flight Time and Flight Duty Period limits work:
The Captain, First Officer, and Crew Scheduling can also mutually agree on a two-hour extension, bringing the maximum FDP to 15 hours.

flyboy7974

Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:48 pm

Again? Experienced the same on New Years Eve flying in from PHL connecting to FLG.

Landed early, taxied over to the north penalty box between 3 & 4, and then sat for almost an hour due to smoke in the tower. Missed the connection as did many others, agents had no idea what was going on because arrivals showed "on" but weren't pulling into the gates.

DUDEofJETS

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:25 am

Flying AA in from MSP we were diverted to ABQ. 3 hour delay, then into PHX.

Varsity1

Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:25 am

I was flying at the time and the controller canceled our clearance due to 'smoke in the building'. I'm sure sundevilATC has details on it.

atcsundevil

Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:03 am

Varsity1 wrote:
I was flying at the time and the controller canceled our clearance due to 'smoke in the building'. I'm sure sundevilATC has details on it.

Not this time, I work on the east coast now. We had our own air handler issues earlier in the summer thanks to some clumsy roofers. Ours was a fume event rather than smoke. We managed to shut down the east coast, so PHX comparatively didn't do too bad.

Seriously though, ATC Zero events are exceedingly rare. Unfortunately a lot of issues beyond ATC or the FAA's fault can occur, and naturally there's a lot of disruption. I know there used to be some kind of contingency in the event that PHX ATCT went ATC Zero (for example, winds exceeding something like 70 or 80kts due to the glass rating), but I think it involved handheld radios and standing on top of the parking deck — not something realistic for anything more than working inbound emergencies. It's obviously a surprise having this happen in a relatively new facility, but stuff happens.

With our fume event, positions were staffed at minimal levels for about two hours to minimize the impact before having to fully evacuate (reroutes, descend to fly tower enroute, coordinate with adjacent facilities, etc.). In quick evacuations like smoke or fire events, there are always procedures in place to prevent something bad from happening, but there's no time to work out plans to minimize the impact. I'm sure it was a busy day for Phoenix TRACON and ZAB having to spin guys and divert...holding doesn't happen much anymore outside of the east coast, and it definitely has a tendency to ruin everyone's day.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos