Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Kiwirob

Re: Southwest removes passenger with pet allergy

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:40 pm

rbavfan wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
rbavfan wrote:

Helper dogs are used for more than Blind People. They also work for hearing impaired, people with limited mobility, PTSD & ADHD. And no the PTSD & ADHD are not emotional support they actually physically act to prevent episodes.

I have a son who is ADHD, he doesn't need a dog. If you look at the size of the dogs most suffers with PTSD have then that's really taking the piss, you don't need a giant sized dog to calm you down, having a massive dog is an ego trip for these guys.

You might note certain breeds are commonly used for Helper Animals. It has to do with their size and ability to hold temperament. To think the large dog is an ego issue with service personnel or others with PTSD shows no knowledge of these people and you don't like servicemen. You don't apply for a service dog and say I want a small one.

I’ve seen spaniel sized dogs used as service animals so theirs no need for Great Danes and other extra large breeds to be used. Also xtra large breed dogs usually have short life spans, 6-8 years if the owner is lucky.

bob75013

Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:23 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

I’ve seen spaniel sized dogs used as service animals so theirs no need for Great Danes and other extra large breeds to be used. Also xtra large breed dogs usually have short life spans, 6-8 years if the owner is lucky.

Earlier in this thread a wheel chair bound flier completely countered your statement.

wa5

Re: Southwest passenger forcibly removed from flight with pet allergy

Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:43 pm

If I have a Bee Sting allergy, and I see / hear a bee in the plane (or anywhere else), I'm outa there, there will be skid marks on the floor, you wont see me for dust. I'm not hanging around to argue the Bees' "right" to be there, I am simply putting as much room between me and it as I can. If this woman truly had a life threatening condition..... why didn't she?

bob75013

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:00 pm

wa5 wrote:
If I have a Bee Sting allergy, and I see / hear a bee in the plane (or anywhere else), I'm outa there, there will be skid marks on the floor, you wont see me for dust. I'm not hanging around to argue the Bees' "right" to be there, I am simply putting as much room between me and it as I can. If this woman truly had a life threatening condition..... why didn't she?

Your point is just too logical for "entitled" people

Super80Fan

Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:34 pm

jordanh wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
jordanh wrote:
Like a "special snowflake" who insists on subjecting to everyone else on the plane to the presence of an unwelcome animal?

Planes are for transportation, not just humans.

Yes, that is why our planes have "cargo compartments". Other than service animals, any other non-human creatures should not be subjected to the discomfort of an airplane cabin - and passengers should not be subjected to the animals.

Animals are not cargo, and WN doesn't allow animals in the cargo hold.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

Super80Fan

Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:35 pm

rbavfan wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
jordanh wrote:

Like a "special snowflake" who insists on subjecting to everyone else on the plane to the presence of an unwelcome animal?

Planes are for transportation, not just humans. If animals are documented (either a special needs/emotional animal or a regular pet that has been paid for/documented) than they have the right to be on the plane just as much as everyone else. If you don't like it, don't fly or take a private jet.

As for the reasoning behind it, I have found out the real reason why she didn't want the pets on the plane, but posting so will take this to off topic territory so I will refrain from doing so.

Her wanting the dogs removed caused all this so it would not be on topic. But saying you know and won't show why or proof make you look un knowledgeable on the real reason. Otherwise you would post it.

Seeing how it is political, it will just be taken down anyway. But look up her religion and what she taught.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

Flighty

Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:55 pm

Legally speaking, if a person becomes disruptive on an airliner because there is a service animal/gay person/Puerto Rican/elderly person/handicapped person onboard, you remove the disruptive person. By any means necessary, including removal by force. If they resist then you subdue the person.

I work in a business too and it goes like this. If a person with an "animal they medically need" shows up, we serve that customer, period. If we interfere with their animal, we could easily be in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. At that point we might as well shoot ourselves in the head. It might feel better than dealing with a ADA violation.

If an allergic person shows up, guess what. You may not be medically able to come to our place. Many people are too sick to do things, and that's sad. But it is not really something we can solve for you.

Thunderboltdrgn

Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:30 pm

Flighty wrote:

If an allergic person shows up, guess what. You may not be medically able to come to our place. Many people are too sick to do things, nd that's sad.
But it is not really something we can solve for you.

That works in both ways though.Why are people who need emotional support animals (esa) higher prioritized then allergic people?
The first ones can do something about it (visit a psychiatrist) while people who have an allergy can't do much except hope that there
is some medication that can mild the allergy problems.

I agree with KiwiRob to some extent. There are probably people who claims that their pet is an esa just so that they can bring their pet into the cabin.

Wouldn't it be possible to have certain rows at the back as some sort of a safe zone for people with allergies, atleast on bigger widebodies (ight be hard on a smaller narrow body) ?
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

2Holer4Longhaul

Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
Flighty wrote:

If an allergic person shows up, guess what. You may not be medically able to come to our place. Many people are too sick to do things, nd that's sad.

That works in both ways though.Why are people who need emotional support animals (esa) higher prioritized then allergic people?
The first ones can do something about it (visit a psychiatrist) while people who have an allergy can't do much except hope that there

I agree with KiwiRob to some extent. There are probably people who claims that their pet is an esa just so that they can bring their pet into the cabin.

Wouldn't it be possible to have certain rows at the back as some sort of a safe zone for people with allergies, atleast on bigger widebodies (ight be hard on a smaller narrow body) ?

IMO it's a matter of whose medical paperwork holds water. In this case, the allergic person's paperwork was at the bottom of bull**** Creek.
"You know, if you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything, wouldn't you, at any time? And you would achieve nothing!" - Margaret Thatcher

grbauc

Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:37 pm

Its entitlement me me me generation at its best.. I'm a professor what does that say? She's smarter then and better then others? Heck I believe Government and police have lost some sight in society has to there purpose. But when you want to protest something and think your self issues are more important then others around you I have a hard time finding sympathy for her or her cause.

grbauc

Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:39 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
Flighty wrote:

Id guess because the Animal service dog owner notified the airline and the "Nut" allergic person/Professor did not.

CanadaFair

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:42 pm

texl1649 wrote:
CanadaFair wrote:
texl1649 wrote:
So, she is a professor of islamic studies who has taught her students about Talibanization, was unable to document her life threatening dog allergies, demanded dogs (and passengers) be removed so she could safely proceed with her greater self important trip/visit with her father entering surgery, refused orders of the captain to deplane, then threw a fit with security personnel. Southwest wound up apologizing to her. Got it.

http://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2889115

Cheap shot, Muslims can keep dogs but outside as guards, herders and retrieve game at hunts, YES! in their impure mouths,

Her attire is more of an issue in Islam than dogs, and she is no Islamic purist by the looks of her.

I didn't intend to take a shot at all. Context always matters in these hissy fit situations, whether it's drugs/climate (such as stuck on a hot plane for multiple hours on the tarmac)/sleep deprivation related, or an individual's background. I found the information as to her background and studies/work helped contextualize the behavior shown and reported on. I don't find her attire particularly informative, either on the Harvard Divinity page or on the flight. Not all moslem women have to wear the full hijab/niqab etc. to be considered "pure" or something a bit more tolerant than that word.

I do find her actions to have been unjustified.

No one before you brought it up in two pages of posts nor was concerned, including the link in OP, so makes one wonder, as for her dressing its masculine despite being considered unisex in modern era.

Agree she acted stupid.

commpilot

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:13 pm

Lets recap the rules:

- Assist Animals or Emotional Support Animals (with proper documentation) get to fly before normal pax that says they have an allergy.
- If passenger with allergy can be accommodated by putting distance between self and animals that will be worked out quietly or pax will allergy gets re-accommodated.
- If passenger with allergy provides a doctor letter claiming excessive allergy that could cause a medical situation then it comes down who checked in first. Then the other passenger will be re-accommodated.

-If a passenger is traveling with just a cabin pet (under seat carrier) and a passenger claims allergy then distance between cabin pet and allergy will be quietly worked out.
- If passenger with allergy provides a doctor letter claiming excessive allergy that could cause a medical situation then passenger with cabin pet will be re-accommodated.

-If cabin pets and Assist/Emotional Support animals are both on a flight and the Assist/Emotional Support Animals win, the cabin pets win by default.

Air Carrier Access Act.....plain english reading at DOT.gov. ADA means nothing once you arrive at the curb of the airport until you pass the curb at your destination.

Lastly if a company is complying per the current regulations and company policies and you don't like it, you won't win. Obstructing a company trying to operate properly will always go bad for you should you try to get your 15 minutes of fame.

kiowa

Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:31 pm

commpilot wrote:
Lets recap the rules:

- Assist Animals or Emotional Support Animals (with proper documentation) get to fly before normal pax that says they have an allergy.
- If passenger with allergy can be accommodated by putting distance between self and animals that will be worked out quietly or pax will allergy gets re-accommodated.
- If passenger with allergy provides a doctor letter claiming excessive allergy that could cause a medical situation then it comes down who checked in first. Then the other passenger will be re-accommodated.

-If a passenger is traveling with just a cabin pet (under seat carrier) and a passenger claims allergy then distance between cabin pet and allergy will be quietly worked out.
- If passenger with allergy provides a doctor letter claiming excessive allergy that could cause a medical situation then passenger with cabin pet will be re-accommodated.

-If cabin pets and Assist/Emotional Support animals are both on a flight and the Assist/Emotional Support Animals win, the cabin pets win by default.

Air Carrier Access Act.....plain english reading at DOT.gov. ADA means nothing once you arrive at the curb of the airport until you pass the curb at your destination.

Lastly if a company is complying per the current regulations and company policies and you don't like it, you won't win. Obstructing a company trying to operate properly will always go bad for you should you try to get your 15 minutes of fame.

That sounds about right but after watching the video, southwest was out of line with their treatment of that lady. There were better ways to handle it rather than by force. The cop with his hands on her chest pushing her forward and yelling at her was totally abusive.

just my 2cents but i do not like bullying by police or anyone else.

2Holer4Longhaul

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:20 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... t-account/

Look at her, playing the race card to justify scofflaw behaviour.
Legally, she had to obey the instructions of the flight attendants, and file a legal challenge or complaint afterwards.
Regardless of whether she or the Southwest crew are lying, she put herself in the wrong by being so headstrong.

Note: I would say the same if this was a middle-aged white man (other than the fact that a middle-aged white man can't play the race card )
"You know, if you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything, wouldn't you, at any time? And you would achieve nothing!" - Margaret Thatcher

NichCage

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:54 pm

At least airlines deal with peanut allergies better. I've flown on Air Canada and when I tell them I have a peanut allergy, the crew tells passengers to not bring them or eat them on board.

I think it's up to you to take care of yourself with a pet allergy. If you have one and you will be going on an airplane where there could be pets, just take some medicine before you board and you'll most likely be fine.

kiowa

Woman dragged of SWA flight was pregnant

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:59 pm

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... hreatening

She also says she never said her allergies were life-threatening only that she asked to be seated as far from dog as possible. If true, then southwest made a major mistake by having her dragged off the aircraft. The police should also not have gotten involved.

AWACSooner

Re: Woman dragged of SWA flight was pregnant

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:04 pm

Riiiiiiiiight...my first instinct is she's trying to save face and playing the innocence card.

lightsaber

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:06 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
Riiiiiiiiight...my first instinct is she's trying to save face and playing the innocence card.

Exactly...

She is angling for a big payout.

Lightsaber
I cannot wait to get vaccinated to live again! Warning: I simulated that it takes 50%+ vaccinated to protect the vaccinated and 75%+ vaccinated to protect the vac-hesitant.

WaywardMemphian

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:06 pm

The tell is the lack of other passengers that came to her defense.

BoeingGuy

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:14 pm

She’s also pulling the race card, which is really pathetic. Right, SWA dragger her off the airplane because she Muslim.

It really makes me mad when people try to make up a race or religion issue to deflect their own poor behavior.

masgniw

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:15 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:

It's worth noting that I don't really know or care what happened...but a lot of women don't really begin showing until their 2nd trimester (and that's if you're looking for it). It'd be easy not to notice a stranger was pregnant well past her 30th week.

lightsaber

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:20 pm

masgniw wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

It's worth noting that I don't really know or care what happened...but a lot of women don't really begin showing until their 2nd trimester (and that's if you're looking for it). It'd be easy not to notice a stranger was pregnant well past her 30th week.

Pregnancy, even if true, isn't the reason other passengers didn't come to her defense. It was she was in the wrong.

The other passengers would have shouted in defense of her is she wasn't being an assigned. She is backtracking on her statements to get money.

Lightsaber
I cannot wait to get vaccinated to live again! Warning: I simulated that it takes 50%+ vaccinated to protect the vaccinated and 75%+ vaccinated to protect the vac-hesitant.

usflyguy

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:25 pm

kiowa wrote:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/maryland/articles/2017-10-04/lawyer-passenger-never-claimed-allergy-was-life-threatening

She also says she never said her allergies were life-threatening only that she asked to be seated as far from dog as possible. If true, then southwest made a major mistake by having her dragged off the aircraft. The police should also not have gotten involved.

From someone that wasn't there... </eye roll>

If she was pregnant, then the smart thing would have been to get up and walk like she was asked to. If she would have complied in the first place, the police wouldn't have been there. Duh.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

EK413

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:49 pm

Bloody ridiculous just trying to save face and back track all of her claims. Sick and tired of these grubs trying to earn a quick buck or two by doing the wrong thing!
If she had life threatening allergies then pick yourself up and get off the aircraft like a normal person.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

ExDubai

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:51 pm

Looks like a lot of cash......
Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven

clrd4t8koff

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:54 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:

How many people came to Dr. Dao's defense? I don't recall seeing any on video. HUGE PAYOUT!

Doubt hers will be close. But still a nice one I'm sure.

texl1649

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:03 am

Former Dr dao also behaved ridiculously. If a pilot or officer of the law asks you to do something like get off the plane, just do it, rather than throw a hysterical fit.

I hope the airlines start fighting these as much as possible in the courts. She seems like anything but a victim to me, from what I’ve seen, and a changing story from her isn’t making me think I’m wrong.

clrd4t8koff

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:11 am

texl1649 wrote:
Former Dr dao also behaved ridiculously. If a pilot or officer of the law asks you to do something like get off the plane, just do it, rather than throw a hysterical fit.

I hope the airlines start fighting these as much as possible in the courts. She seems like anything but a victim to me, from what I’ve seen, and a changing story from her isn’t making me think I’m wrong.

What is ridiculous about sitting calmly on a plane, being told to get off for doing nothing wrong and standing your ground? How is that behaving ridiculously? The only one behaving ridiculously was United Airlines.

Super80Fan

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:17 am

Oh man do I hate fake news. Anything to get some cash.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

sevenair

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:20 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
texl1649 wrote:

What is ridiculous about sitting calmly on a plane, being told to get off for doing nothing wrong and standing your ground? How is that behaving ridiculously? The only one behaving ridiculously was United Airlines.

Aircraft are private property. The owners decide who can fly and who can't. The employees are representing the owner in this instance. You cannot simply do as you please.

Special snowflakes with their 'allergies' and people with serious life threatening allergies do not have a right to travel. If airlines deem you a risk then you ain't fly and you need to get off. If you don't, you'll be removed.

Super80Fan

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:22 am

sevenair wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
texl1649 wrote:

Aircraft are private property. The owners decide who can fly and who can't. The employees are representing the owner in this instance. You cannot simply do as you please.

Special snowflakes with their 'allergies' and people with serious life threatening allergies do not have a right to travel. If airlines deem you a risk then you ain't fly and you need to get off. If you don't, you'll be removed.

Exactly, and it's already proven this woman was lying, anyone with a serious allergy would be getting their you know whats off faster than light.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

BobPatterson

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:26 am

sevenair wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
texl1649 wrote:

Yes. After all, passengers have no rights. The customer is always wrong.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

DTWorld

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:31 am

The actual event occurred about a week ago, so it's obvious that she is trying to cover her tracks.

7673mech

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:34 am

Simple solution. Leave your pet at home.
If you need a service pet are you healthy enough to fly?
Not an animal person, tired of seeing them in places they don't belong.
Put them in the hold.
I know I will get flamed, just giving perspective from a non animal lover.
Also get an official certifying agency for service animals. Those who abuse the rules make it difficult for all.

clrd4t8koff

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:38 am

sevenair wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
texl1649 wrote:

And United cannot simply do as it pleases. There's a contract of carriage, and if United was in the right you would not have seen Dao paid off as quickly as he was. United knew they were in the wrong and because of it there are now new rules like huge increased VDB.

sevenair

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:39 am

BobPatterson wrote:
sevenair wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Yes. After all, passengers have no rights. The customer is always wrong.

They do have rights. They have the right to remove themselves from the aircraft on request or the right to choose to be forcibly removed. You cannot simply do as you please in someone else's property.

Antarius

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:43 am

7673mech wrote:
Put them in the hold.
Also get an official certifying agency for service animals. Those who abuse the rules make it difficult for all.

As someone who doesn't care for children, babies or generally misbehaving humans.. I can say the same thing. If you feel so strongly.. fly carriers that don't allow pets. There are plenty. Until then, those pets in "places they don't belong" were paid for to be "where they don't belong".

Unrelated, this lady is an idiot.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

BoeingGuy

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:10 am

7673mech wrote:
Put them in the hold.

While I personally do choose to leave my pet at home with friends when I travel, who the heck are you to tell people to leave their pets home? SWA and other airlines allow pets on board by policy, upon payment of the appropriate fees, and following the appropriate policies.

If you aren't an animal lover than you are free to stay home and not risk being around animals you don't like. I'm not an animal hater person. I'm tired of seeing them in places they don't belong.

lightsaber

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:10 am

kiowa wrote:
commpilot wrote:
Lets recap the rules:

That sounds about right but after watching the video, southwest was out of line with their treatment of that lady. There were better ways to handle it rather than by force. The cop with his hands on her chest pushing her forward and yelling at her was totally abusive.

just my 2cents but i do not like bullying by police or anyone else.

I disagree on abusive. Once an officer directs you to leave an aircraft, and you refuse. I assume you saw how long she resisted?

She should be arrested. She tried to elbow the officer. I hate bullies, that officer was just given a no win situation. Officers are not just targets. They are people too.

In high school we had a class (one day) on how to interact with officers. It could have been handled better. But once she declared a severe allergy, WN policy was to remove her.

She certainly could have handled it better.

Lightsaber

MR27122

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:25 am

Pax removal post boarding is losing propisition for airline & police. I'm not supporting "her", however I do question if she stated she possessed a life-threatening allergy to dog's, and service dog's were in the cabin, why did the crew allow her to board & take a seat?

What we see w/ the Dr & now the Prof are defiant sober pax's who've boarded & are seated requiring force to be removed. The mindless drunk being forcibly removed doesn't provoke the same social-media "ohh my gosh" factor & subsequent media frenzy of pax's gone bonkers & airlines appearing like bullies.

I recall reading that an airline could legally refrain pax's from using their smart-phones (ability to video) once a pax was on the plane? Perhaps they should tell pax's to refrain from any/all usage of personal devices until the plane is "off the gate" & keep repeating it during boarding "Usage of a personal device prior to push back will result in your being asked to deplane, and thereafter made to deplane". Another issue is that when the police arrive, they're simply doing their job...a situation has escalated beyond the reasonable control of the crew, and a pax is refusing to deplane. Seriously, if a police officer tells you to do something....especially on an airplane....anybody who fails to follow the directive is a stupid, selfish, self entitled, "above the the law" imbecile.

F9Animal

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:37 am

I hope she tries to sue, and loses her ass on it. Her credibility is rock bottom already, and I hope WN's lawyers don't settle with her. People like this need to be ripped apart in court.
I Am A Different Animal!!

mjoelnir

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:48 am

There could be a different side to the argumeent. According to this article, the woman never claimed that her allergy was life threatening, did not ask for the removal of the animals, just to sit as far away from them as possible. That was done, she had sat down and than the airline decided to remove her.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... story.html

kiowa

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:27 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
There could be a different side to the argumeent. According to this article, the woman never claimed that her allergy was life threatening, did not ask for the removal of the animals, just to sit as far away from them as possible. That was done, she had sat down and than the airline decided to remove her.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... story.html

I wonder if everyone took the side of the airline because of the womans religion. I would hope that is not the case.

Aptivaboy

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:15 pm

I wonder if everyone took the side of the airline because of the womans religion. I would hope that is not the case.

Doubtful. I don't think her religion came up at all until she recently raised it. I mean, she wasn't wearing a burka or anything that I could see in the video that would outwardly indicate her religion, and she wasn't saying anything of a religious nature, so... Wondering aloud if her religion was the cause of so many people, myself included, taking Southwest's side would appear to be... Misguided, perhaps?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos