Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 4708
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:37 am

Earlier this year, ET requested to and received from Argentina the authority to operate passenger and cargo services from Buenos Aires EZE, including fifth freedom rights between Argentina and Brazil.

Accoerding to a Brazilian source, ET has requested slots from Brazil's ANAC to operate the following schedule:

ADD 09:15 GRU 16:55 - 18:15 EZE 20:45 787
EZE 23:20 GRU 01:40+1 - 02:30 ADD 19:30 787

No mention of frequency, but assume it will be daily, to make it competitive with QR & TK, both operating a similar schedule. Service to begin in December. Ethiopian would be the fourth foreign airline to operate 5th freedom flights between Argentina and Brazil: EK from GIG and ET, TK and QR from GRU.

http://www.milhasedestinos.com.br/a-eth ... nos-aires/
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
upwardfacing
Posts: 423
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:56 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:24 am

With Argentina's economy on the upswing, are any of the fifth freedom operators considering nonstop flights in lieu of service via Brazil?

Emirates in particular comes to mind.
 
LatinPlane
Posts: 2630
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 1999 11:05 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:35 am

That is wonderful news. Just wonderful to see Argentina as whole flourishing again. This EZE's 2nd African destination?
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.
 
Shul89
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:20 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:48 am

How come havent heard anything about this on the news?
 
rukundo
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:10 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:23 am

That is wonderful news. Just wonderful to see Argentina as whole flourishing again. This EZE's 2nd African destination?


No. In the past Malaysia operated a Kuala Lumpur-Cape Town-Buenos Aires. And till 2014 (if i m right), South African Airways served Buenos Aires.

Argentina is a home of large Lebanese and Isreali diaspora. Ethiopian serves these two countries. Plus traffic flow between Argentina and the rest of Asia.
 
User avatar
TheLion
Posts: 691
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:14 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:01 pm

Good news from an African perspective, her hard to see how they'll fill a daily flight from the Mother Continent to Argentina, especially given ADD's location. Argentina's economy is also far from roaring.
 
NichCage
Posts: 916
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:30 pm

Why did SAA cut EZE back in 2014?

Would a non-stop ADD-EZE be a reality one day?
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 4708
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:16 pm

upwardfacing wrote:
With Argentina's economy on the upswing, are any of the fifth freedom operators considering nonstop flights in lieu of service via Brazil?

Emirates in particular comes to mind.


DXB-EZE is a long flight -~ 8500 miles. I understand EK has been looking into it, but nothing concrete yet - with the 772LR. On the other hand, these fifth freedom operators are quite successful with these flights.

NichCage wrote:
Why did SAA cut EZE back in 2014?


SAA's never ending story: the crisis du jour. .

LatinPlane wrote:
That is wonderful news. Just wonderful to see Argentina as whole flourishing again. This EZE's 2nd African destination?


Passenger services-wise, it will be the first destination in Africa, since SAA upped sticks in 2014. There are cargo flights on LH Cargo between EZE and DKR.

The good news is that effective when ET implements this service, EZE again becomes the only airport in Latin America to have direct passenger services to all continents - excluding Antarctica. But then, no airline flies there, yet.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 4708
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:23 pm

TheLion wrote:
Good news from an African perspective, her hard to see how they'll fill a daily flight from the Mother Continent to Argentina, especially given ADD's location. Argentina's economy is also far from roaring.


This flight is not about Africa-Argentina traffic (the little that there is mostly has South Africa as an origin/destination) but, rather, to connect Asia and the Middle East with both Brazil and Argentina, leveraging ET's superb network. Any African originated or bound traffic is gravy for this flight.

As to the economy, if 4.5% monthly economic growth is not roaring, not sure what it is....The economy is growing at its fastest pace since 2010.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 4502
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:33 pm

But the current ADD-GRU-ADD service isn't daily?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 4708
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:23 pm

Shul89 wrote:
How come havent heard anything about this on the news?


Well, I am not sure this is newsworthy beyond a rather limited audience and interests; in any case, I just read on an Argentinian aviation news source (http://www.aviacionline.com) that Ethiopian is due to make an official statement over the next couple of days

Additionally, Ethiopian's CEO, met with Susana Malcorra (former Argentinian Foreign Affairs Minister, now Ambassador at Large based in Madrid) to talk abour ET's plans for Argentina.

https://twitter.com/SusanaMalcorra/stat ... 20/photo/1

c933103 wrote:
But the current ADD-GRU-ADD service isn't daily?


Then it may be just as it is today - however many frequencies/week those are.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
C010T3
Posts: 1956
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:00 am

Your assumption that the service will be daily is premature. The service will be 5x weekly if they follow the slots they were allocated.

You may obtain information online: https://sistemas.anac.gov.br/sas/tempor ... Bases.aspx

It will be Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays.

dcajet wrote:
The good news is that effective when ET implements this service, EZE again becomes the only airport in Latin America to have direct passenger services to all continents - excluding Antarctica. But then, no airline flies there, yet.


What a stretch...
 
incitatus
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:49 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:11 am

C010T3 wrote:
(...)

dcajet wrote:
The good news is that effective when ET implements this service, EZE again becomes the only airport in Latin America to have direct passenger services to all continents - excluding Antarctica. But then, no airline flies there, yet.


What a stretch...


But technically correct - direct services yes, not nonstop. Long-haul out of EZE is doing really well with growth of 15-20% per year in the last few years.

The domestic market is a whole other story. The domestic Argentina market has shrunk so much that its seat supply per day is comparable to that of Peru - though seat miles are bigger in Argentina because of longer distances. I have not seen evidence of recovery domestically. Cristina was evil!
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 4708
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:17 am

C010T3 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
The good news is that effective when ET implements this service, EZE again becomes the only airport in Latin America to have direct passenger services to all continents - excluding Antarctica. But then, no airline flies there, yet.


What a stretch...


Why is it a stretch? It's a fact. And more importantly, why does it seem to bother you?
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 4708
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:36 am

incitatus wrote:
C010T3 wrote:
(...)

dcajet wrote:
The good news is that effective when ET implements this service, EZE again becomes the only airport in Latin America to have direct passenger services to all continents - excluding Antarctica. But then, no airline flies there, yet.


What a stretch...


But technically correct - direct services yes, not nonstop. Long-haul out of EZE is doing really well with growth of 15-20% per year in the last few years.

The domestic market is a whole other story. The domestic Argentina market has shrunk so much that its seat supply per day is comparable to that of Peru - though seat miles are bigger in Argentina because of longer distances. I have not seen evidence of recovery domestically. Cristina was evil!


Here are some numbers you may find interesting.re: domestic and international traffic to/from Argentina over the past 18 months. Unfortunately, there are no credible statistics from the Kirchner days - all numbers were doctored, from inflation to number of folks under the poverty line (according to Cristina, her government did not track the latter because it "stigmatized" the neediest).

http://www.eana.com.ar/estadisticas
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:13 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
incitatus wrote:

But technically correct - direct services yes, not nonstop. Long-haul out of EZE is doing really well with growth of 15-20% per year in the last few years.

The domestic market is a whole other story. The domestic Argentina market has shrunk so much that its seat supply per day is comparable to that of Peru - though seat miles are bigger in Argentina because of longer distances. I have not seen evidence of recovery domestically. Cristina was evil!


Here are some numbers you may find interesting.re: domestic and international traffic to/from Argentina over the past 18 months. Unfortunately, there are no credible statistics from the Kirchner days - all numbers were doctored, from inflation to number of folks under the poverty line (according to Cristina, her government did not track the latter because it "stigmatized" the neediest).

http://www.eana.com.ar/estadisticas

And nevertheless, she ascertained that there were "more poor in Germany than in Argentina". :roll:

And you are right, domestic traffic has increased, to the detriment of long distance buses. Domestic airfares have come down in real terms, due to the inflation. And this is even before the LCCs have started to operate...

As for ET, I am not so sure they will be doing well in Argentina. They will have to compete on price, just as they do in Brazil. Maybe they figure that they will kind of break even on the GRU-EZE-GRU leg on local traffic (again, undercutting the local players as well as TK and QR), and then the additional traffic from EZE to ADD and beyond will help fill up the GRU flights?
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 4502
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:28 pm

dcajet wrote:
C010T3 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
The good news is that effective when ET implements this service, EZE again becomes the only airport in Latin America to have direct passenger services to all continents - excluding Antarctica. But then, no airline flies there, yet.


What a stretch...


Why is it a stretch? It's a fact. And more importantly, why does it seem to bother you?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1364633
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11137
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:39 pm

dcajet wrote:
C010T3 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
The good news is that effective when ET implements this service, EZE again becomes the only airport in Latin America to have direct passenger services to all continents - excluding Antarctica. But then, no airline flies there, yet.


What a stretch...


Why is it a stretch? It's a fact. And more importantly, why does it seem to bother you?


Its not a fact. The fact is there is no service from EZE to Australia
Forum Moderator
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 4708
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:01 pm

qf789 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
C010T3 wrote:


What a stretch...


Why is it a stretch? It's a fact. And more importantly, why does it seem to bother you?


Its not a fact. The fact is there is no service from EZE to Australia


But there is service to NZ. Fair enough, I was thinking of Oceania as a region, which does include AU+NZ+others.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
dredgy
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:13 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:09 pm

qf789 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
C010T3 wrote:


What a stretch...


Why is it a stretch? It's a fact. And more importantly, why does it seem to bother you?


Its not a fact. The fact is there is no service from EZE to Australia


Most people would consider New Zealand as part of the Australian/Oceanic continent. Geologically speaking, no, but geopolitically, yes.
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 4708
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:13 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Here are some numbers you may find interesting.re: domestic and international traffic to/from Argentina over the past 18 months. Unfortunately, there are no credible statistics from the Kirchner days - all numbers were doctored, from inflation to number of folks under the poverty line (according to Cristina, her government did not track the latter because it "stigmatized" the neediest).

http://www.eana.com.ar/estadisticas

And nevertheless, she ascertained that there were "more poor in Germany than in Argentina". :roll:

And you are right, domestic traffic has increased, to the detriment of long distance buses. Domestic airfares have come down in real terms, due to the inflation. And this is even before the LCCs have started to operate...

As for ET, I am not so sure they will be doing well in Argentina. They will have to compete on price, just as they do in Brazil. Maybe they figure that they will kind of break even on the GRU-EZE-GRU leg on local traffic (again, undercutting the local players as well as TK and QR), and then the additional traffic from EZE to ADD and beyond will help fill up the GRU flights?


The status quo on the GIG/GRU/EZE/AEP routes will change completely by April 2019, when all flights return to EZE and AEP is just, once again, just a domestic airport, so as to make room for Norwegian and others. Right now, AR, LA/JJ and G3 take the lion's share of the traffic, which overwhelmingly prefers AEP. QR/TK/EK do brisk business from EZE because they compete on price and offer the chance - for those that prefer such details - of flying on a 777 instead of the same A321/737-800 every day, They also used to offer a full meal on the 2.5 hr flight, but, at least TK, is now offering a meager sandwich with a muffin... seeing that the local players offer even less.... ET is just borrowing a page from the EK/QR/TK playbook. One has to wonder if all those interesting destinations that ET operates are even remotely profitable, but then their cost base has to be pretty low...
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:56 pm

dcajet wrote:
qf789 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Why is it a stretch? It's a fact. And more importantly, why does it seem to bother you?


Its not a fact. The fact is there is no service from EZE to Australia


But there is service to NZ. Fair enough, I was thinking of Oceania as a region, which does include AU+NZ+others.

Of course New Zealand is in Oceania. I would like to ask your detractors, those who think that your argument is "a stretch" as well as those that only count Australia as a "valid" destination in counting Oceania as being served: What continent do they consider New Zealand to be in, then, if it is not Oceania?...
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11137
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:17 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Its not a fact. The fact is there is no service from EZE to Australia


But there is service to NZ. Fair enough, I was thinking of Oceania as a region, which does include AU+NZ+others.

Of course New Zealand is in Oceania. I would like to ask your detractors, those who think that your argument is "a stretch" as well as those that only count Australia as a "valid" destination in counting Oceania as being served: What continent do they consider New Zealand to be in, then, if it is not Oceania?...


Oceania is a region not a continent. New Zealand is part of Oceania, it is not part of the Australian continent. As originally stated for EZE to qualify for serving all 6 continents it would require having a direct flight to Australia such as SYD, MEL or BNE.
Forum Moderator
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:30 pm

dcajet wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

And nevertheless, she ascertained that there were "more poor in Germany than in Argentina". :roll:

And you are right, domestic traffic has increased, to the detriment of long distance buses. Domestic airfares have come down in real terms, due to the inflation. And this is even before the LCCs have started to operate...

As for ET, I am not so sure they will be doing well in Argentina. They will have to compete on price, just as they do in Brazil. Maybe they figure that they will kind of break even on the GRU-EZE-GRU leg on local traffic (again, undercutting the local players as well as TK and QR), and then the additional traffic from EZE to ADD and beyond will help fill up the GRU flights?


The status quo on the GIG/GRU/EZE/AEP routes will change completely by April 2019, when all flights return to EZE and AEP is just, once again, just a domestic airport, so as to make room for Norwegian and others. Right now, AR, LA/JJ and G3 take the lion's share of the traffic, which overwhelmingly prefers AEP. QR/TK/EK do brisk business from EZE because they compete on price and offer the chance - for those that prefer such details - of flying on a 777 instead of the same A321/737-800 every day, They also used to offer a full meal on the 2.5 hr flight, but, at least TK, is now offering a meager sandwich with a muffin... seeing that the local players offer even less.... ET is just borrowing a page from the EK/QR/TK playbook. One has to wonder if all those interesting destinations that ET operates are even remotely profitable, but then their cost base has to be pretty low...

Yes, I agree on all of that, but the higher-yielding traffic on GRU-EZE-GRU will stick to the local players due to frequency (and timing...TK, for example, leaves EZE at 11.25 pm and gets into GRU at 3 am...who wants that?). And ET will not even be daily. As for those interesting destinations (speaking not in terms of profitability but just destinations they can sell from EZE)...all of EK, QR and TK offer far more of those than ET. Low cost base...well, sure, to a certain degree, but really only when it comes to non-outstation employees. Aircraft, insurance, fuel, outstation employees, these all cost the same to ET as to anybody else. So, I'm with you, wondering...
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:32 pm

qf789 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

But there is service to NZ. Fair enough, I was thinking of Oceania as a region, which does include AU+NZ+others.

Of course New Zealand is in Oceania. I would like to ask your detractors, those who think that your argument is "a stretch" as well as those that only count Australia as a "valid" destination in counting Oceania as being served: What continent do they consider New Zealand to be in, then, if it is not Oceania?...


Oceania is a region not a continent. New Zealand is part of Oceania, it is not part of the Australian continent. As originally stated for EZE to qualify for serving all 6 continents it would require having a direct flight to Australia such as SYD, MEL or BNE.

In the same vein, then, flights to LHR don't qualify as Europe, since it's not on the continent of Europe? What about JFK? Only difference to AKL is that it's on Long Island, not the North Island...
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 4502
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:22 pm

Well, some do consider "Zealandia" to be a continent in its own.

And ADD-GRU service is now 4 weeklu, will they up the frequency to five to use all their EZE slots?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!
 
incitatus
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:49 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:11 am

dcajet wrote:

Here are some numbers you may find interesting.re: domestic and international traffic to/from Argentina over the past 18 months. Unfortunately, there are no credible statistics from the Kirchner days - all numbers were doctored, from inflation to number of folks under the poverty line (according to Cristina, her government did not track the latter because it "stigmatized" the neediest).

http://www.eana.com.ar/estadisticas


Yes, that is quite interesting because it tells a bit of a different story from what we see on the capacity side. Aerolineas and LATAM have added very little domestic capacity in Argentina in the last few years. Two possibilities: Either load factors were atrocious and now they are very good, or the quality of reporting was terrible and many passengers were not accounted for earlier. What do you think?
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 4708
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:11 pm

incitatus wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Here are some numbers you may find interesting.re: domestic and international traffic to/from Argentina over the past 18 months. Unfortunately, there are no credible statistics from the Kirchner days - all numbers were doctored, from inflation to number of folks under the poverty line (according to Cristina, her government did not track the latter because it "stigmatized" the neediest).

http://www.eana.com.ar/estadisticas


Yes, that is quite interesting because it tells a bit of a different story from what we see on the capacity side. Aerolineas and LATAM have added very little domestic capacity in Argentina in the last few years. Two possibilities: Either load factors were atrocious and now they are very good, or the quality of reporting was terrible and many passengers were not accounted for earlier. What do you think?


The latter, sans doubt. The Kirchners have left a trail of doctored data and statistics, and very poor reporting, if any at all. It is so bad that the current AR administration can't close the balance sheets for the FY 2013-15 for lack of credible information. especially around state subsidies. No one really knows exactly how much money was pumped into the airline during the K years.

LATAM has been very conservative with capacity. AR also, but on the international fleet side, which traditionally is where the losses have been. On the domestic & South America, the airline has been quite active adding capacity, 40 737-800s arrived on the last 4 years and 11 MAX 8 are due to arrive 2017-2018; Austral will soon swap most if not all E190s for a larger model, most likely 737 800 or MAX 8.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2574
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:09 pm

qf789 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

But there is service to NZ. Fair enough, I was thinking of Oceania as a region, which does include AU+NZ+others.

Of course New Zealand is in Oceania. I would like to ask your detractors, those who think that your argument is "a stretch" as well as those that only count Australia as a "valid" destination in counting Oceania as being served: What continent do they consider New Zealand to be in, then, if it is not Oceania?...


Oceania is a region not a continent. New Zealand is part of Oceania, it is not part of the Australian continent. As originally stated for EZE to qualify for serving all 6 continents it would require having a direct flight to Australia such as SYD, MEL or BNE.


Well, actually, to be exact it is Oceania that is THE Continent, with the Pacific Ocean acting as connector (hence the name) and so Oceania is NOT a region, and Australia -although the largest landmass in the continent- is in fact only a region of Oceania. It is often -and wrongly (at least in geographical terms)- described as "the Australian continent" **not correct**.
Although some geographical models dispute the recognition of Antarctica as a continent (there's a 6, a 5 and even a 4 continents model), Oceania is always there - as a continent. Australia is not a continent, but rather a part of one. No dispute about this.
 
2travel2know2
Posts: 2961
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:33 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
Yes, I agree on all of that, but the higher-yielding traffic on GRU-EZE-GRU will stick to the local players due to frequency (and timing...TK, for example, leaves EZE at 11.25 pm and gets into GRU at 3 am...who wants that?). And ET will not even be daily. As for those interesting destinations (speaking not in terms of profitability but just destinations they can sell from EZE)...all of EK, QR and TK offer far more of those than ET. Low cost base...well, sure, to a certain degree, but really only when it comes to non-outstation employees. Aircraft, insurance, fuel, outstation employees, these all cost the same to ET as to anybody else. So, I'm with you, wondering...
For sure ET could attract some traffic EZE-ADD-TLV, quite an odd routing, but if the price is right, the demand is there.
I'm not on CM's payroll.
 
User avatar
yowza
Posts: 4508
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:01 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:55 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
qf789 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
Of course New Zealand is in Oceania. I would like to ask your detractors, those who think that your argument is "a stretch" as well as those that only count Australia as a "valid" destination in counting Oceania as being served: What continent do they consider New Zealand to be in, then, if it is not Oceania?...


Oceania is a region not a continent. New Zealand is part of Oceania, it is not part of the Australian continent. As originally stated for EZE to qualify for serving all 6 continents it would require having a direct flight to Australia such as SYD, MEL or BNE.


Well, actually, to be exact it is Oceania that is THE Continent, with the Pacific Ocean acting as connector (hence the name) and so Oceania is NOT a region, and Australia -although the largest landmass in the continent- is in fact only a region of Oceania. It is often -and wrongly (at least in geographical terms)- described as "the Australian continent" **not correct**.
Although some geographical models dispute the recognition of Antarctica as a continent (there's a 6, a 5 and even a 4 continents model), Oceania is always there - as a continent. Australia is not a continent, but rather a part of one. No dispute about this.

While I don't care for QF789's pedantry he/she is in fact correct. Australia (the continent) is comprised of Australia (the country) and bits and bobs of "Asia" - PNG, East Timor, and parts of Indonesia. Of course in pragmatic geopolitical terms most of us treat Oceania and/or Australasia as a continent and that encompasses NZ and the most of the south pacific islands.Using this definition even airports like YYZ meet the "all continent served" definition.

YOWza
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2574
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:12 pm

yowza wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Oceania is a region not a continent. New Zealand is part of Oceania, it is not part of the Australian continent. As originally stated for EZE to qualify for serving all 6 continents it would require having a direct flight to Australia such as SYD, MEL or BNE.


Well, actually, to be exact it is Oceania that is THE Continent, with the Pacific Ocean acting as connector (hence the name) and so Oceania is NOT a region, and Australia -although the largest landmass in the continent- is in fact only a region of Oceania. It is often -and wrongly (at least in geographical terms)- described as "the Australian continent" **not correct**.
Although some geographical models dispute the recognition of Antarctica as a continent (there's a 6, a 5 and even a 4 continents model), Oceania is always there - as a continent. Australia is not a continent, but rather a part of one. No dispute about this.

While I don't care for QF789's pedantry he/she is in fact correct. Australia (the continent) is comprised of Australia (the country) and bits and bobs of "Asia" - PNG, East Timor, and parts of Indonesia. Of course in pragmatic geopolitical terms most of us treat Oceania and/or Australasia as a continent and that encompasses NZ and the most of the south pacific islands.Using this definition even airports like YYZ meet the "all continent served" definition.

YOWza


Well, no. You are both wrong - sorry. I know I am the one being pedantic here - I am painfully aware I am being so, and I apologise. But Australia - I insist and re-iterate- is NOT a continent. Australia is part of Oceania. Oceania IS the continent that Australia belongs to.
This: "Australia (the continent) is comprised of Australia (the country) and bits and bobs of "Asia" - PNG, East Timor, and parts of Indonesia" makes no sense at all in either geographical, and/or political terms... You wouldn't want to say that during a geography university exam, trust me! :-)
Again I apologise, I know I might come across as very pedantic, but this is how it is.
 
User avatar
AASAP777
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:00 pm

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:19 pm

qf789 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

But there is service to NZ. Fair enough, I was thinking of Oceania as a region, which does include AU+NZ+others.

Of course New Zealand is in Oceania. I would like to ask your detractors, those who think that your argument is "a stretch" as well as those that only count Australia as a "valid" destination in counting Oceania as being served: What continent do they consider New Zealand to be in, then, if it is not Oceania?...


Oceania is a region not a continent. New Zealand is part of Oceania, it is not part of the Australian continent. As originally stated for EZE to qualify for serving all 6 continents it would require having a direct flight to Australia such as SYD, MEL or BNE.


Well, that depends where you go to school. For most of us in Latin America there's six continents: America (all of it), Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania and Antarctica.
Bendiga Dios la pródiga tierra en que nací....God bless the prodigal land where I was born.
H O N D U R A S! Five star country...Un país de cinco estrellas.
 
EddieDude
Posts: 7048
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:19 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:58 pm

Oceania, Australia and the number of continents in the world have noting to do with Ethiopian launching service to EZE. Can we please focus?

Seems like EZE is getting quite a bit of new service and additional capacity from established carriers. This is great news and clearly a sign that things are improving in Argentina. Even if this is a tag on the ADD-GRU flight, this is something to feel happy about. Too bad SA pulled JNB-EZE; maybe this route could come back in the medium term?
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 4708
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:13 pm

EddieDude wrote:
Too bad SA pulled JNB-EZE; maybe this route could come back in the medium term?


Apparently SAA has been wanting to return to EZE for some time now and a meeting was held with the Argentinian authorities but with SAA's in such dire straits, I doubt we will see her back @ EZE soon. Too bad, because the traffic is there, but I guess in the meantime it will have to continue being funneled via GRU with either SAA or LATAM.

SAA pulled out of EZE in 2014 in partly because of its own, perennial crisis and to concentrate in other routes such as those to the PRC. Not sure how that one ended.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
juliuswong
Posts: 2021
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:22 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:29 am

dcajet wrote:
EddieDude wrote:
Too bad SA pulled JNB-EZE; maybe this route could come back in the medium term?

SAA pulled out of EZE in 2014 in partly because of its own, perennial crisis and to concentrate in other routes such as those to the PRC. Not sure how that one ended.

Two words: In disaster (no, not plane crash), more like bleeding even more $$$
- Life is a journey, travel it well -
 
upwardfacing
Posts: 423
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:56 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:02 am

With AR and SA as the two potential operators, it seems JNB-EZE is not returning anytime soon.
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 4708
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:35 pm

upwardfacing wrote:
With AR and SA as the two potential operators, it seems JNB-EZE is not returning anytime soon.


AR has no plans, present or future, to return to CPT or JNB; if they were on a hypothetical "places to return to" list, they'd be behind Sydney, Auckland, Mexico City London, Paris and Los Angeles.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
User avatar
ojjunior
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:31 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:26 pm

Shul89 wrote:
How come havent heard anything about this on the news?


Maybe because it's not important at all?
 
EddieDude
Posts: 7048
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:19 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:49 pm

dcajet wrote:
AR has no plans, present or future, to return to CPT or JNB; if they were on a hypothetical "places to return to" list, they'd be behind Sydney, Auckland, Mexico City London, Paris and Los Angeles.

Yes I have been wondering if CDG and MEX are in the cards for AR. There is quite a bit of traffic between MEX and EZE, and AM gets to have the whole cake (nonstop, because LA, AV, CM are also strong as one-stop providers). CDG and MEX would undoubtedly work well thanks to the leveraging of SkyTeam membership and codeshares.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).
 
MartijnNL
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:16 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
Well, actually, to be exact it is Oceania that is THE Continent (...) and so Oceania is NOT a region, and Australia (...) is in fact only a region of Oceania. (...) Although some geographical models dispute the recognition of Antarctica as a continent (...), Oceania is always there - as a continent. Australia is not a continent, but rather a part of one. No dispute about this.

No dispute? Haha. Airliners.net is meant to dispute. We learned at school that Australia is a continent and Oceania a region. I have never heard of Oceania being a continent.
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 4708
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:32 pm

EddieDude wrote:
dcajet wrote:
AR has no plans, present or future, to return to CPT or JNB; if they were on a hypothetical "places to return to" list, they'd be behind Sydney, Auckland, Mexico City London, Paris and Los Angeles.

Yes I have been wondering if CDG and MEX are in the cards for AR. There is quite a bit of traffic between MEX and EZE, and AM gets to have the whole cake (nonstop, because LA, AV, CM are also strong as one-stop providers). CDG and MEX would undoubtedly work well thanks to the leveraging of SkyTeam membership and codeshares.


I doubt it, at least in the near future. The current strategy is to concentrate on the markets that work well for AR, yields-wise: JFK, MIA, MAD, FCO, BCN, BOG and the Caribbean - PUJ and CUN.

Re: CDG and MEX, AR is quite happy to codeshare with AF/KL & AM. I am not also that sure of the MEX yields.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
Sascha81
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:18 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:56 am

Hello there is no Codeshare between AR and AF on the EZE - CDG Flight.
 
User avatar
Mistral1
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:15 pm

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:13 am

The most profitable international route for AR is SCL. The company's CEO said so in a recent visit to Santiago.
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 4708
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:57 am

Sascha81 wrote:
Hello there is no Codeshare between AR and AF on the EZE - CDG Flight.


Yes there is - just not on the non stop.

http://www.aerolineas.com.ar/landingses ... aiswbip384
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
Sascha81
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:18 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:04 am

Yes and this is very sad, AF/KL has a Focus on GOL. Hope AF/KL and AR will expand the Codeshare Agreement someday...
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 4708
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:48 pm

Sascha81 wrote:
Yes and this is very sad, AF/KL has a Focus on GOL. Hope AF/KL and AR will expand the Codeshare Agreement someday...


AF/KL own part of GOL. It is only natural that their focus is on the Brazilian airiine. And why would AR give all its passengers to AF or KL? AR takes them to MAD or BCN, keeps the revenue and then AF/KL can take them to CDG or AMS. It would not very business wise of AR to do otherwise.

AR & AF/KL have plenty of other codeshares, but they are in Argentina and South America.

Mistral1 wrote:
The most profitable international route for AR is SCL. The company's CEO said so in a recent visit to Santiago.


Although technically an international route, SCL is considered "regional/domestic" at AR - same as Brazil, Peru, Paraguay, Bolivia and Uruguay. Even the crews are rostered around those lines (Cabotaje y regional & internacional).

That being said, I am not surprised by the SCL route's health. Besides the already strong business and leisure ties between the two countries, Chile has become the new shopping mecca for Argentinians - kind of a new Miami but only 90 minutes away. Thousands of Argentinians fly to SCL every day just for shopping; some making it a day trip. LATAM opened 3 routes from Argentina to Chile this week TUC/UAQ/NQN and SKY added ROS to its network.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
AtomicGarden
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:23 am

And AR also offers COR SCL, 3X with E90.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!
 
berari
Posts: 916
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:05 am

There's nothing announced on the Ethiopian side. But with the slot request and approvals given, we can note the following:
- ET has switched its service to GRU from 1-stop via Lome to nonstop
- ET is increasing its GRU service to 5x per week this winter, which coincides with the reported application/approval
- ET has an aircraft at GRU that remains idle between 1730 and 0230 which could be put to use especially with the granting of 5th freedom
- ET has been recruiting Brazilian flight attendants for at least two years now, similar to non-Ethiopian African and Chinese FAs that it has on staff
- ET is not foreign to fifth freedom flights, where it is making far flung destinations such as NRT, SEL and LAX work because of fifth freedom rights it has secured
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 4708
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Ethiopian to Buenos Aires EZE

Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:52 am

berari wrote:
There's nothing announced on the Ethiopian side. But with the slot request and approvals given, we can note the following:
- ET has switched its service to GRU from 1-stop via Lome to nonstop
- ET is increasing its GRU service to 5x per week this winter, which coincides with the reported application/approval
- ET has an aircraft at GRU that remains idle between 1730 and 0230 which could be put to use especially with the granting of 5th freedom
- ET has been recruiting Brazilian flight attendants for at least two years now, similar to non-Ethiopian African and Chinese FAs that it has on staff
- ET is not foreign to fifth freedom flights, where it is making far flung destinations such as NRT, SEL and LAX work because of fifth freedom rights it has secured


Not officially... yet. But according to a twit by Airlineroute, ET is displaying EZE as a destination on the Nov/Dec issue of its Selamta magazine route map. Service i apparently set to begin in March 2018.

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status ... 08/photo/1
Keep calm and wash your hands.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos