Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Clydenairways

Re: Catalonia Independence. What does it mean for Aviation?

Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:33 pm

IAG could easily move Vueling to an Irish AOC. There are a few airlines doing that at the moment.

tommyarias

Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:53 pm

Polot wrote:
Momo1435 wrote:
runway23 wrote:
Vueling have a large hub in BCN and largely dominate the airport, they will not pack their bags and leave BCN. Why would they ? Just to allow FR/U2 to move in and take their place ? It makes no sense...

Just because Catalonia decides to exit Spain (and if they succeed) won't halt travel to BCN. In that sense largely nothing will change, for Vueling the only change will probably obtaining a Catalan AOC in addition to a Spanish one.

If Vueling stays in Barcelona and get a Catalan AOC it will certainly result in the loss of their Spanish AOC, so no more flights to and from Spain and will probably also have severe consequences for IAG, which is still a company based in Spain. The Spanish government will make sure that no Spanish owned / based airline will have operations in Catalonia.

Vueling also has extensive operations that do not even touch BCN/Spain. Lose the Spanish AOC for the Catalan AOC (which will not be part of the EU/ECAA as long as Spain has any say) and you can say goodbye to Vueling's FCO hub, small CDG focus city, etc.

In the event of independence traffic at BCN will go down because Spain will see that it is harder for EU members/citizens to freely visit and do business in the region.

There's no reason why they need to have a Catalan AOC. I'm sure the Catalan government would allow them to stay and operate out of BNC, or take part of ECAA straight away so Vueling and any other European airline continue to operate out of BCN.
"Insert Generic Signature or Quote" - Generic Name

airlinermiami

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:00 pm

Cataluna is not going to separate...they are part of Spain and this will continue being like this.. The guys who rule Cataluna are a bunch of clowns ..living in a surreal world..lying to their own people..the referemdum was a joke..it is fake..it was not legal to begin with...they claimed about 2 million people voted which it is not true..there has seem same people voting several times...even found ballots boxes full of votes even before anyone has starting voting ...this was a fraud referendum...Catalunia has more than 6 million people...let suppose that about 2 million voted , which it is not true ..this is not even anywhere close to half of the population. I have never seem anything more non-sense in my life..
These clowns are doing this to pressure the central government to transfer them more power.
Anyway, let not waste our time with a supposedly independent Cataluna...
This aint not going to happen...they know they need to be part of Spain and the European Union..
I feel sorry for the Catalunia people for being so naïve and believe these clowns!!

Osubuckeyes

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:06 pm

Heading to Barca on my honeymoon here in about a month and a half anyone have any advice? Does it seem like things will be settled down by then?

Kadish

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:07 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
I think this must have already an
It is interesting to see that foreign carriers in general are adding little capacity to Spain for 2018. Let's compare Portugal and Spain to the US. Portugal is getting OPO-EWR with United, ATL-LIS and JFK-PDL with Delta and OPO-YYZ and LIS-YUL with Air Canada. 5 new TATL routes for S18 compared to 0 for Spain, despite Spain being 4.5 times the population.

Sorry, but to me this mean nothing taking into account That in Madrid itself thre are at least 10 or more services With more frequencies n carriers.
U can fly to Jfk,Ord, Miami, Bos, Lax, Dfw, Atl,ewr,Charlotte, Phl....

huaiwei

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:24 pm

Sure, Spain can play hardball....until the economic pain bites them back hard enough to cause economic and social upheaval across Spain. Left unchecked, and the other separatist regions will take advantage and leave too. Spain may have no choice but to play a delicate balancing act.

And hence the first economic area they will have to normalise pretty fast is transportation, including aviation, so I do not see as much disruptions as predicted, especially in the longer term.
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

SkyVoice

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:38 pm

This is a very, VERY serious state of affairs! The worst case scenario is that Spain will send combat troops into Catalonia to put down the uprising. There are still many people around who remember the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) & what a bloody conflict that was, a real-life runup to World War II. And don't forget, the people of the Basque region have been agitating for their independence from Spain for generations. If you are the praying type, pray HARD for Spain right now! If the worst case scenario happens, airline service in, to & from the Iberian Peninsula will be one of the least of your worries!
"Tough times never last. Tough people do." - Dr. Robert H. Schuller

Skywatcher

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:55 pm

I feel sorry for Spain. I have lived through 2 Quebec referendums. These situations drag the economy down for sure.

OA260

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:07 pm

oldannyboy wrote:

You must be kidding. Let's hope for the sake of all the jobs involved that nothing much happens. If Catalonia gets independent it's highly likely it will be a State not recognized by other EU States and sorely vetoed from entering the Union. Can you fathom what a disaster this would be for the local economy?

Think Northern Cyprus and that is what it would look like except they were propped up by Turkey and still are. Who will prop up an independant Catalonia? Expect the economy to free fall. I hope their leaders know what they are getting their people into. The EU have pretty much shut the door on them having any fantasy of being part of the club or being in the Euro again.

imagoagnitio

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:56 am

AVFCdownunder wrote:
imagoagnitio wrote:
AVFCdownunder wrote:
As your flight is only in two months time, I don't see anything will be different regarding flights, visas, passports etc.

More realistically, I can see some disruption by ATC or baggage handlers etc trying to make their point via industrial action for one reason or another. I am not sure, but I presume they are employed by local operators. Whereas customs/immigration staff are more likely employed centrally via the Madrid government (again, I stand to be corrected on this point) and may be subject to work to rules or other industrial stoppages to suit agendas.

The big question everyone needs to know is will Barca stay in La Liga?

They could always join us in the Championship. KROSOTV (in joke).

You'll be in League 1 by the time that happens . :lol:
UTV SOTC

or the Sunday pub league if last weekend was anything to go by. LOL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos