Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A340313X

Re: Monarch Airlines ceases operations, thousands stranded

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:33 am

Gutted! My favourite airline gone. At least I got to fly with them one last time in November and spot them one last time a month or so ago.

:(

My thoughts go to all the staff and stranded pax.

JannEejit

Re: Monarch in trouble (again)...?

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:37 am

jmc757 wrote:
Agree with you a very sad day for UK aviation. Our oldest airline brand turns to dust overnight.

Hasn't Loganair (since 1962) been operating consistently for longer as a UK airline brand though ?

A moot point this morning however as I echo the sentiments offered by others at the sad demise of a long standing UK airline from the heyday of British airline travel. Good luck to staff in finding future employment, one can't help but feel the UK independent airline scene has shrunk quite considerably now. Maybe they could stick one of those A320's next to the Britannia at Duxford too. ;-(

sergegva

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:01 am

What was the last commercial flight with a Monarch aircraft?

mattyfitzg

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:03 am

sergegva wrote:

ZB3785, Tel Aviv-Manchester. Operated by Airbus A321(G-ZBAO) arrived around 3am this morning

Words cannot describe how truly devastated I am, many fantastic memories thanks to this airline, such a shame that we won't see the bright yellow spotty M flying around anymore. Hope the brilliant staff find other jobs easily and can move on, becoming part of history
Last edited by mattyfitzg on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

OA260

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:04 am

sergegva wrote:

Unless it changed it was TLV-MAN landed 0329.

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/MON3785

OA260

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:24 am

KPMG have just announced that around 860,000 passengers are affected which is a lot more then previously thought.

Liverpoola380

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:33 am

Wow what a sad day. Is there fleet worthy of an acquisition? Maybe TCX or U2. What about Norwegian?

uta999

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:41 am

It makes you wonder how an airline like Monarch can go under, yet we are left with the likes of Ryanair. A brewery couldn't be run any worse.
Your computer just got better

LHRFlyer

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:42 am

BA confirming its involvement with QR in operating relief flights back to the UK:

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/f ... blic/en_gb

andymartin

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:48 am

Let's hope those sharks at Greybull have lost millions over this and they are never allowed to buy into a British company ever again. Parasites.

f4f3a

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:54 am

Just about to say that well said. Would be a very worried steel worker right now.
Can the assets i.e. Planes and slots be sold or are slots now being re distributed

shankly

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:56 am

jmc757 wrote:
I don’t think anyone actually believed they’d see the day, Monarch have always been there, like part of the furniture.

A very impressive rescue operation organised by CAA/UK Government. At the same time the German government artificially keep Air Berlin afloat.

Exactly how I feel. Sadly Monarch did not adapt well enough to the ruthless modern air travel proposition

Over the years flew their 720's, 1-11's and 757's. Great airline. Good luck and best wishes to the Monarch people in securing their futures
L1011 - P F M

MON

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:56 am

My time in Monarch spanned three decades, in that time it became a family. It was the Mantegazza family rather than GreyBull that really screwed Monarch.

Channex757
Topic Author

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:05 am

Brexit is another factor that brought Monarch down.

The pound dropped substantially following the leave vote. Monarch gets its revenue in pounds, and pays for its costs in dollars and euros. Planes and fuel principally need to be paid for in the US Dollar. Add to that the uncertain climate and sales in 2017 were down on 2016.

tayaramecanici

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:19 am

MON wrote:
My time in Monarch spanned three decades, in that time it became a family. It was the Mantegazza family rather than GreyBull that really screwed Monarch.

I am not sure if the Mantegazza family were responsible for the failures of Monarch but i am sure the last 20yrs of global boom of every asset including Airlines/Aircrafts has happened due the the available of easy finance, fired by the National banks of mainly Federal US, ECB, BOE, China Bank to name a few.
When 3 ME airlines within an 100sq-km have nearly 500 Aircrafts to serve only less than 10million people but carry over 100million pax gives you the appreciation of the excees of capacity in the Industry.
Look at the excess in housing boom in Europe, the same is in Automobile industry the whole world has got ahead of its own, so why blame the Mantegazza family for protecting its own family purse.
''You are as good as your nearest competitor'' Bob Crandall.

piedmontf284000

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:30 am

OA260 wrote:
KPMG have just announced that around 860,000 passengers are affected which is a lot more then previously thought.

The British government has begun the biggest ever peacetime repatriation effort to return the affected passengers. It's going to be a long week for those affected by this. They will all find a ride home but it might take longer to get there then others.

richardw

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:31 am

Are there enough gates for Monarch at LGW's North Terminal if taken over by easyJet?

Andy33

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:35 am

[photoid][/photoid]
f4f3a wrote:
Just about to say that well said. Would be a very worried steel worker right now.
Can the assets i.e. Planes and slots be sold or are slots now being re distributed

Previous financial issues meant that all Monarch's planes are leased so will be taken away by leasing companies. It's debatable whether the slots are saleable once the airline has ceased trading. Does anyone know? If not they just revert to the slot controller for reallocation.

Geoff1947

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:53 am

Just to say that nobody has been stranded. All those abroad can finish their holiday and travel back pretty much as scheduled thanks to the actions of the CAA.

Geoff

MON

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:59 am

tayaramecanici, the Mantegazza family basically asset stripped Monarch over many years and did not reinvest into the the company. Ok, it was their company, they could do what they liked but they went further, they basically stole from my and many other Monarch families pensions by renagging on their contract and leaving hundreds of Monarch employees with a fraction of their final salary pensions that many Monarch employees had paid into for many years. This all happened in 2014.

BHXLOVER

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:21 am

Channex757 wrote:
There is value in the company (hopefully) as the MAX leases actually have some saleability. MAEL is a money maker too.

I am wondering if someone in the press has got hold of a whisper that confidential takeover or part sale talks have not gone well.

I would imagine the liquidator will divest any liabilities that they can including the MAX leases. MAEL is a separate company and not affected.

In these situations, no one is going to buy an ailing company with tons of liabilities. They just wait for it to fold and pick up a bargain.

Channex757
Topic Author

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:27 am

BHXLOVER wrote:
Channex757 wrote:
There is value in the company (hopefully) as the MAX leases actually have some saleability. MAEL is a money maker too.

I am wondering if someone in the press has got hold of a whisper that confidential takeover or part sale talks have not gone well.

I would imagine the liquidator will divest any liabilities that they can including the MAX leases. MAEL is a separate company and not affected.

In these situations, no one is going to buy an ailing company with tons of liabilities. They just wait for it to fold and pick up a bargain.

I think the MAX order also dies. I could be wrong, but Monarch has ceased trading and is in administration. That means no new credit can be entered with, and the company that ordered the aircraft no longer exists anyway

Boeing would have been a party to all the negotiations yesterday as they can't just watch a huge deal flap in the wind. Any deposits might even be non-repayable now as the contract is in default.

oldannyboy

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:30 am

andymartin wrote:
Let's hope those sharks at Greybull have lost millions over this and they are never allowed to buy into a British company ever again. Parasites.

Just couldn't agree more.
Parasites. Sharks.
They obviously didn't give a sh*t about Monarch. Or the people. They were simply hoping to make more money.

They like playing with people and companies trying to become richer than what they already are. There's something horribly sick in capital investment companies me thinks.... society needs to open their eyes and change.... and perhaps the Government too? A tad more interest from the Government in the way these private equity funds run these so called private companies would be greatly welcomed.. after all it is the taxpayers who will inevitably bear the burden of redundancy payouts etc.....

oldannyboy

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:33 am

Tragically sad day for Aviation, and the UK one in particular. So sad to see such a proud and historical name disappearing....I have amazing childhood memories of Monarch and their good old 1-11s....
I am truly saddened for the AMAZING bunch of professionals who worked @ ZB. I wish them all the very best.

I am hoping there will be an official inquest launched into seeing how Greybull Capital has (mis?)managed ZB.

OA260

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:34 am

Rumours that TUI will take over Monarch Holidays.

LX138

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:47 am

I feel sick that Monarch is going, such a great airline with great staff, hope they all secure a good future quickly.

Like many, so many good memories of childhood that were defined by airlines such as Monarch.
StarWorld Team - The ultimate airline alliance

BestWestern

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:48 am

Monarch was not viable, and was forecasting a £100m loss in 2017/18. This is the letter from the CEO to staff......

This is the update I hoped I would never have to write. Despite our best efforts, today Monarch Airlines Limited and Monarch Travel Group (Monarch Holidays) are ceasing operations and going into administration.

Soon you will hear from the administrator, KPMG, who will now be running these two entities in administration and will explain what this means for all of us who work for either company.

Please note that Monarch Aircraft Engineering Limited continues to operate normally and is not entering administration.

Our owners, Greybull Capital, showed great courage when they bought us in 2014 and have provided us with continuous support. We had a turnaround year in 2015.

But since then, outside influences have badly affected us. Since 2015 we’ve seen yields collapse by a quarter, resulting in £160 million less revenue.

This has especially affected Spain and Portugal which is 80% of our business. This year the airline is carrying 14% more passengers than last year for £100m less revenue.

The root cause is the closure, due to terrorism, of Sharm-El- Sheikh and Tunisia and the decimation of Turkey.

Despite these challenges we managed to cut £40 million out of our cost base by reducing overheads and being more efficient and wasting less, however the yield reductions have turned our airline from one that made £70 million profit in 2015 to one that made a £60 million loss in 2017 and was scheduled to lose over £100 mililon in 2018.

We asked a respected aviation consulting firm to review how we could improve our short haul network and they came to the conclusion that it was pretty much out of our control.

At the same time we built our long haul plans and asked them to validate these plans, which they did, and agreed that they were attractive and viable.

The next challenge was how to pivot our airline from short haul to long haul to reduce losses. We decided to ask KPMG to run a sales process to see if anyone would be interested in taking on all or some of our short haul operations or assets.

This would have allowed us as Monarch to start long haul flying in spring of 2018. Regrettably although there was considerable interest, there was no deliverable offer, and so we have run up to the 30 September Atol renewal deadline without a viable plan for the next twelve months and the CAA has understandably been unable to license us.

As a consequence of this we lost any prospect of avoiding an insolvent liquidation and have been left with no option but to file for insolvency and cease operations.

Unlike many other countries, the UK does not offer a viable insolvency track for airlines to keep operating during administration and so we were forced to cease operations.

Millions of customers have flown and holidayed with Monarch over the last 50 years. I am so sorry that thousands now face a cancelled holiday or trip, possible delays getting home and huge inconvenience as a result of our failure.

We are working with the joint administrators and the CAA to do everything we possibly can to help minimise disruption where we can, but are under no illusion as to the problems this will cause.

And many suppliers will suffer hugely as a result of our insolvency – for which I am equally sorry.

Many of you have spent years working for this company and I want to thank you again for your service and loyalty. I am truly sorry that it has ended like this.

You can all hold your heads up high and be proud of what you achieved at Monarch. It has been a company that has cared for its customers and which has been like a family for many people for five decades. I cannot tell you how much I wanted to avoid this outcome and how truly sorry I am.

I wish you all well in your future careers and hope you will all retain a fond memory of the spotty M and all it stands for.

The MAEL team will be doing everything possible to ensure that our engineering business survives and prospers and carries forward the Monarch name with pride and dedication to professionalism and service.

Thank you and I wish you well, wherever you are based.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

Samrnpage

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:52 am

Not seeing Monarch in the UK will be a shock - Just googled Monarch and the wiki page already says "Monarch was a British airline" Cannot believe it :(

BestWestern

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:56 am

The problematic routes will be ex GIB and ex Madeira, where specially trained pilots are required. I can see these being operated by BA or EZY who have a pilot base.

As Monarch is highly seasonal, they work their pilots hard in summer, so they have precious little available hours in winter - for this reason, they won’t be able to solve the FR crewing problem.

Jerry123

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:56 am

Channex757 wrote:
BHXLOVER wrote:
Channex757 wrote:

I think the MAX order also dies. I could be wrong, but Monarch has ceased trading and is in administration. That means no new credit can be entered with, and the company that ordered the aircraft no longer exists anyway

Boeing would have been a party to all the negotiations yesterday as they can't just watch a huge deal flap in the wind. Any deposits might even be non-repayable now as the contract is in default.

I'd imagine as one of the clauses in the lease, entering administration would void the lease immediately like it did with Air Berlin's A330s.

StTim

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:01 am

I have an issue with the thread title. No one is stranded. An operation to bring them home is in full swing.

Candid76

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:08 am

One of the rescue flights operating into MAN appears to be Wamos EC-MNY, which ironically spent most of its life as G-SMAN with Monarch.

BestWestern

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:11 am

Anyone with a return date more than two weeks out are on their own.

A big congratulations to the CAA who has done a fantastic job in planning and executing the return of citizens to the UK.

Vasu

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:18 am

Is anyone out there compiling a list of weird and wonderful MON rescue aircraft (as ironically happened this time last year)?

Sad day... most of my early holiday memories involved what my brother and I still call “good old Monarch”.

SpaceshipDC10

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:27 am

[quote="smileymilo Is this not the biggest to go under since Pan Am?[/quote]

How about Ansett Australia or Swissair back in 2001? In a different league but still very abrupt, you could also count Canada 3000 that got unplugged overnight in 2001 too.

Andy33

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:35 am

BestWestern wrote:
Anyone with a return date more than two weeks out are on their own.

A big congratulations to the CAA who has done a fantastic job in planning and executing the return of citizens to the UK.

Anyone who has ATOL protection, is already at their holiday destination and is due to return to the UK after 15 October will still be safeguarded by being rebooked on other operators. There won't be many people in this category as most people go for up to 2 weeks, and nobody is departing the UK from today onwards.

JannEejit

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:42 am

Reading that Monarch statement, they seemed pretty confident that returning to long haul next year was going to be a good earner. Anyone see a Monarch Mk2 rising out of the ashes or even any interest in preserving the Monarch brand by one of the alleged suitors...?

bennett123

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:53 am

Not clear which part of their fleet would be LH.

OA260

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:53 am

Vasu wrote:
Is anyone out there compiling a list of weird and wonderful MON rescue aircraft (as ironically happened this time last year)?

Sad day... most of my early holiday memories involved what my brother and I still call “good old Monarch”.

The CAA Monarch website has a full list based on destination.

gunnerman

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:54 am

Geoff1947 wrote:
Just to say that nobody has been stranded. All those abroad can finish their holiday and travel back pretty much as scheduled thanks to the actions of the CAA.

Geoff

Those people who are not ATOL-protected are lucky to get back home for free but will not be able to claim against CAA for out of pocket expenses, although those who paid by credit card may be able to do so.

JannEejit

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:56 am

bennett123 wrote:

I'd assume some sort of Norwegian style operation with the incoming 737max fleet or a return to wide body ops ? Which begs the question, where would they be now had they stuck with that 787 order ?

peterinlisbon

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:00 pm

It's really a shame that this great airline is gone. I think they made a big mistake concentrating on short-haul and trying to compete with the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet. They were a lot more diversified and less exposed to specific markets up until they did that. I also don't understand why they thought they needed such a large fleet of 737 Max. Why so many and why the urgency given that oil prices are at historic lows?

I think that any airline that wants to compete with Easyjet or Ryanair needs to be extremely efficient or have some other kind of advantage. These companies cut expenses right down to the bone. Monarch would have been better off concentrating on long and perhaps some new medium-haul routes that only they could do. For example, London to Azerbaijan fares were something like £600 return for a 5 hour flight this summer. Why not pull a couple of aircraft off a loss making route and put some capacity in there?

Richard28

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:05 pm

BestWestern wrote:
The problematic routes will be ex GIB and ex Madeira, where specially trained pilots are required. I can see these being operated by BA or EZY who have a pilot base.

:checkmark:

The replacement GIB flights scheduled so far are mainly BA flights departing from nearby Malaga / AGP airport - I assume for this very reason.

TC957

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:05 pm

Hindsight is such a wonderful gift, but yes, looking back, cancelling their 787 order and ditching long-haul does now seem to come back to haunt them in their grave,

OA940

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:10 pm

Just went on Wiki and at the fleet section the notes say ''planned to...''. This is so sad. God this sucks. I hope everyone is able to find a job quickly. EasyJet could use a few more people now they're expanding, so I hope they take Monarch people.

Could someone explain to me what administration is? Not quite sure of it.
A350/CSeries = bae

OA260

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:14 pm

OA940 wrote:
Just went on Wiki and at the fleet section the notes say ''planned to...''. This is so sad. God this sucks. I hope everyone is able to find a job quickly. EasyJet could use a few more people now they're expanding, so I hope they take Monarch people.

Could someone explain to me what administration is? Not quite sure of it.

What does going into administration mean?

When a company enters administration, all control is passed to an appointed administrator.

The administrator must be a licensed insolvency practitioner.

Their goal is to leverage the company's assets and business to repay creditors.

Once the administrator has taken over, a moratorium is placed around the company and stops all legal actions.

After the administrator takes over, there isn't much that can be done to reverse the process.

Between April and June 2017, there were 337 administrations in the UK.

How does administration work?

The administrator will write to your creditors and Companies House to say they’ve been appointed.

They will try to stop the company being liquidated but if they can't, the administrator will pay as much of a company's debts as possible from the assets.

The administrator has eight weeks to write a statement explaining what they plan to do.

This must be sent to creditors, employees and Companies House and invites them to approve or amend the plans at a meeting.
What can the administrator do?

According to gov.uk, the administrator could:

negotiate a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) so your company can keep trading
sell your business as a ‘going concern’ to another company - meaning your business can carry on, eg by keeping its clients, workforce or orders
sell your assets as part of a creditors’ voluntary liquidation, pay your creditors from any money raised and close your company
close your company if there’s nothing to sell
administrator has control over your business during administration, so they can cancel or renegotiate any contracts you have or make employees redundant

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4592022/a ... oolworths/

BHXLOVER

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:31 pm

TC957 wrote:
Hindsight is such a wonderful gift, but yes, looking back, cancelling their 787 order and ditching long-haul does now seem to come back to haunt them in their grave,

The thing is they never seemed to have had a coherent long term strategy. They had A330's and then got rid of them. They had a holiday business but then decided to concentrate on scheduled. They had a fleet of A320 and A321's and decided to swap to MAX's. And just before folding, they decided they wanted to go back to long haul again.

They have had a B738 (G-ZBAV) at BHX crew training since June. As it turned out this was just rearranging the chairs on the Titanic.

I am gutted they have gone. I have flown with them a few times, and to me they always seemed one notch up from the likes of Easyjet and Ryanair. I suppose the truth is that they were not big enough to complete with the the large holiday companies on one hand and the low cost big boys on the other. Best wishes to all their staff who did a great job and now have an uncertain future.

Andy33

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:36 pm

bennett123 wrote:

Of their current fleet, none at all, as they only had A320ceo and A32ceo.

BHXLOVER

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:36 pm

Richard28 wrote:
BestWestern wrote:

:checkmark:

The replacement GIB flights scheduled so far are mainly BA flights departing from nearby Malaga / AGP airport - I assume for this very reason.

Strange, why would BA replacement flights go to AGP when they already serve GIB?

ndhair37

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:38 pm

I think we have already made our points, correctly identified how sad a day this is and can only feel sorry a bit for the passengers but mostly for the staff. After such pomp and ceremony with the 737MAX family coming in to make the place more profitable as they went further towards a low-cost and more rationalised airline and the possibility of some long-haul once more it is a massive shame that we've got to this.

If I can make a few observations:
- In my opinion Monarch has struggled in the last 10-15 years to work out what it was. As it slimmed down to a short-haul European carrier, it seemed that the management had worked out that the package holiday airlines couldn't survive unless they were vast, or unless they were trimmed back to a low-cost carrier. In the case of Monarch, it just couldn't compete with Easyjet and Ryanair and in some ways British Airways as they made Gatwick and Heathrow as cheap as possible on plenty of flights.
- Rumours abound about purchasing assets. IAG seemingly ready to swoop but the reality is that they will likely only want slots at Gatwick so as to block Norwegian out. I doubt they want the aircraft or the rest of the route network. Some had suggested establishing a bigger Vueling presence at airports such as Birmingham and Luton using the Monarch aircraft, crew and bits of the route network but I dare say that's a pipe dream.

Here's hoping the staff, and the staff at contractors reliant on Monarch, are back 'in the air' as soon as possible.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos