Andy33

Re: Monarch Airlines ceases operations, thousands stranded

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Strange, why would BA replacement flights go to AGP when they already serve GIB?

That would be because the replacement flights aren't BA at all, but Qatar Airways using BA flight numbers.
Last edited by Andy33 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beglaflight

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:43 pm

OA260 wrote:
Rumours that TUI will take over Monarch Holidays.

It would be a nice fit certainly, where’s your source for this though?

BHXLOVER

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:44 pm

Andy33 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
Not clear which part of their fleet would be LH.

Of their current fleet, none at all, as they only had A320ceo and A32ceo.

And all of those will be going back to leasing companies. And the MAX order will be gone now too.

I really don't think Greybull will have the appetite to go in to long haul and the Monarch name will unfortunately be tarnished.

peterinlisbon

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:46 pm

BHXLOVER wrote:
Richard28 wrote:
BestWestern wrote:
The problematic routes will be ex GIB and ex Madeira, where specially trained pilots are required. I can see these being operated by BA or EZY who have a pilot base.

:checkmark:

The replacement GIB flights scheduled so far are mainly BA flights departing from nearby Malaga / AGP airport - I assume for this very reason.

Strange, why would BA replacement flights go to AGP when they already serve GIB?

I suppose the pilots of the replacement aircraft (which I think actually Qatar Airways planes with Qatar Airways pilots) can't fly into Gibraltar as they would require special training, which I assume involves making the first few flights under the supervision of an experienced captain. Malaga is pretty close (only an hour and a half by bus) and I imagine they'll provide the buses as well, which are compartively cheap to hire. It could be a problem for people that need a Spanish visa, though.

OA260

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:50 pm

beglaflight wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Rumours that TUI will take over Monarch Holidays.

It would be a nice fit certainly, where’s your source for this though?

it seems it may just be limited to hotel contracts in resorts. So not a take over of the brand/company.

BestWestern

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:59 pm

AGP probably because not enough pilots trained or available for additional GIB operations.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

Richard28

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:08 pm

BHXLOVER wrote:

I'd guess more that 24 hours are needed to change the air crews flight plans - many of this BA crew will already be flying elsewhere or on annual leave.

Funnily enough there was a Titan 737 flight this morning GIB-LTN, so they must also have some GIB trained crew available.

SQ789

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:32 pm

Any news when will the fleet be solded?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

bennett123

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:49 pm

Iirc they are all leased.

Andy33

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:49 pm

SQ789 wrote:
Any news when will the fleet be solded?

It is all leased, so it is up to the leasing companies involved when they take their planes away and what they do with them.

APYu

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:59 pm

Geoff1947 wrote:
Just to say that nobody has been stranded. All those abroad can finish their holiday and travel back pretty much as scheduled thanks to the actions of the CAA.

Geoff

Theres a few thousand stranded in the UK this morning who were expecting to go on holiday. Not all have been able to quickly change to other carriers.
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

Geoff1947

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:00 pm

APYu wrote:
Geoff1947 wrote:
Just to say that nobody has been stranded. All those abroad can finish their holiday and travel back pretty much as scheduled thanks to the actions of the CAA.

Geoff

Theres a few thousand stranded in the UK this morning who were expecting to go on holiday. Not all have been able to quickly change to other carriers.

Missing their holidays, yes, but not stranded.

Geoff

f4f3a

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:35 pm

I see the pub in Luton white horse offering free food and drinks for monarch employees . Nice touch for people who are going to be in turmoil

Draken21fx

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:39 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
BHXLOVER wrote:
Richard28 wrote:

The replacement GIB flights scheduled so far are mainly BA flights departing from nearby Malaga / AGP airport - I assume for this very reason.

I suppose the pilots of the replacement aircraft (which I think actually Qatar Airways planes with Qatar Airways pilots) can't fly into Gibraltar as they would require special training, which I assume involves making the first few flights under the supervision of an experienced captain. Malaga is pretty close (only an hour and a half by bus) and I imagine they'll provide the buses as well, which are compartively cheap to hire. It could be a problem for people that need a Spanish visa, though.

Mentioned it yesterday before the collapse. It was expected even to the untrained eye like myself. Gib as such does not require special training (happy to be corrected). I know that Monarch started training Gib specific pilots after an incident they had a few years ago. Not too sure if EZY or BA require the same but I believe it is down to the airline.

I think the reason is more the below

Draken21fx wrote:
Losing 1/3 of the airlines that serve you is problematic indeed, but I do not know if EZY is willing to increase frequencies. Seriously doubt that they are making any money at least in the winter time on the Gib routes plus you have frequent diversions which are due to Gib's unique location which mess up the schedule as well.

If you were to fly to a destination for 2 weeks only you dont want to mess up your schedule which can cost up to 3-4h in delays. Hence AGP which is safer and just inform the passengers to check in Gib 4h before the flight cause they will be bused to AGP. Visa is a major issue though. Just a reminder that both the UK and Gib are outside Schengen so any non EU passport holder has to apply for a Schengen visa which will be close to impossible on such a short notice.

edit: Just read on local news that passengers are required to be in Gib airport at 17.00 which is 8h?! prior to the replacements flights departing from AGP. The two flights depart at 01.25 and 01.55 the day after (03/10).
Last edited by Draken21fx on Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

f4f3a

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:42 pm

Gib is special qualification for easy as well . A route check with a trainer .

Draken21fx

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:46 pm

f4f3a wrote:

Thank you sir, good to know. Anyone from BA in the forum? :)

Luxair747SP

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Draken21fx wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:
BHXLOVER wrote:

Mentioned it yesterday before the collapse. It was expected even to the untrained eye like myself. Gib as such does not require special training (happy to be corrected). I know that Monarch started training Gib specific pilots after an incident they had a few years ago. Not too sure if EZY or BA require the same but I believe it is down to the airline.

I think the reason is more the below

Draken21fx wrote:
Losing 1/3 of the airlines that serve you is problematic indeed, but I do not know if EZY is willing to increase frequencies. Seriously doubt that they are making any money at least in the winter time on the Gib routes plus you have frequent diversions which are due to Gib's unique location which mess up the schedule as well.

If you were to fly to a destination for 2 weeks only you dont want to mess up your schedule which can cost up to 3-4h in delays. Hence AGP which is safer and just inform the passengers to check in Gib 4h before the flight cause they will be bused to AGP. Visa is a major issue though. Just a reminder that both the UK and Gib are outside Schengen so any non EU passport holder has to apply for a Schengen visa which will be close to impossible on such a short notice.

edit: Just read on local news that passengers are required to be in Gib airport at 17.00 which is 8h?! prior to the replacements flights departing from AGP. The two flights depart at 01.25 and 01.55 the day after (03/10).

I think they checked the nationality of the passengers via the list of booked people, and I think most, if not all are UK or other EU citizens, so it won't be a problem to bus them to Spain to fly out from AGP.

Andy33

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:54 pm

Draken21fx wrote:

For these and other repatriation flights the CAA lists specific booking references for which special arrangements have been made, and are notified individually. As Monarch will have had information regarding passengers passports from the outbound journey, it seems probable that people who hold passports which might require Schengen visas are rebooked individually onto EZY or BA flights direct to the UK.

Mortyman

Re: Monarch in trouble (again)...?

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:00 pm

Delta777Jet wrote:
Ryanair will be pleased to offer UK pilots new jobs.

Better if they go to Norwegian

ivanpaneque

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:22 pm

it was a pleasure to meet you monarch .. last flight of the a300

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocAj7nKlvVs

MalevTU134

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:18 pm

Draken21fx wrote:

Not so. There are dozens and dozens of countries in the World (outside of the EU) whose citizens do not need a Schengen visa. There must be a handful of passengers, if any, from other than these countries in Gibraltar, heading for the UK.

readytotaxi

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:21 pm

The BBC radio news is reporting that Virgin Atlantic has set up a fast track scheme for Monarch pilots looking for a job.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

TC957

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:59 pm

Now that ZB are gone, I'm reflecting on that huge 738Max order and can only think what was going through their minds when they placed it. The financial outlay to convert over would surely have crippled them anyway. The Max wouldn't be suitable for any long-haul leisure routes they were planning, like Caribbean or Indian Ocean, Goa, etc, and US East coast lo-cost services would have been new terrain for Monarch and not what the UK public associate Monarch with.

Channex757
Topic Author

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:07 pm

Cost of the two weeks of repatriation flights has been estimated at £60 million

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41477267

Jayafe

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:08 pm

TC957 wrote:
Now that ZB are gone, I'm reflecting on that huge 738Max order and can only think what was going through their minds when they placed it. The financial outlay to convert over would surely have crippled them anyway. The Max wouldn't be suitable for any long-haul leisure routes they were planning, like Caribbean or Indian Ocean, Goa, etc, and US East coast lo-cost services would have been new terrain for Monarch and not what the UK public associate Monarch with.

The MAX order was to sub the Airbus A32Xs, they were moving to a Boeing only fleet, not for expansion.

TC957

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:13 pm

Jayafe wrote:
TC957 wrote:

The MAX order was to sub the Airbus A32Xs, they were moving to a Boeing only fleet, not for expansion.

Yes I know, I'm simply saying the cost of converting completely over to a new type must be a huge outlay. Not to mention all the loan deals from financial institutions to pay for such an order.

MrHMSH

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:21 pm

TC957 wrote:

You sure? Monarch were quite well-known for flying to Florida, the Caribbean, and Goa. I'm pretty sure they flew their 757s TATL as well at some point.

Bongodog1964

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:42 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
BHXLOVER wrote:
Richard28 wrote:

As they don't routinely check passports when you cross over from Gibraltar to Spain, visas wouldn't b e a problem.

Bongodog1964

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:47 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
TC957 wrote:

You sure? Monarch were quite well-known for flying to Florida, the Caribbean, and Goa. I'm pretty sure they flew their 757s TATL as well at some point.

There was a time when passengers flying to Florida or the Caribbean on their package holiday thought that it was perfectly ok for the 757 to stop at Bangor to refuel on both the outward and inward legs, those days however are long gone.

p277

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:16 pm

Draken21fx wrote:
f4f3a wrote:

Thank you sir, good to know. Anyone from BA in the forum? :)

No special qualification / route check required for BA ops into/out of Gib.

gunnerman

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:22 pm

The real losers are the employees. Administrators KPMG said that 1,858 of around 2,100 people employed across Monarch's airline and tour group had now been made redundant. Ninety-eight of these were employed by Monarch Travel Group, while 1,760 were employees of Monarch Airlines.

f4f3a

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:30 pm

Would it not have been better to have given them a loan to keep monarch fleet flying using monarch crews rather than paying others ? Then it would have given more time to sell the airline as a going concern. Like what is happening at air berlin

FlyCaledonian

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:33 pm

Sad to see Monarch go - and just shy of their Golden Jubilee year too. I've read news reports that the decision to go into administration was taken was early as Saturday, which is rather disappointing if true.

Very early in this thread there was criticism of the CAA. I would just say that given the reports that last year cost them £25million they would likely not want another saga burning money from the ATOL fund. Monarch was the UK's fifth largest airline so the CAA had to be prepared - they are having to cover a large flight schedule for two weeks and couldn't just count on UK based capacity to do this. Could you imagine the chaos and criticsim if ZB had folded and no aircraft were in place? The whole point of the ATOL scheme is to get people home and the CAA seems to be going above and beyond by letting anyone booked on a flight come back.

As to why no buyer was found I suspect the difficulty was that Greybull wanted to sell the whole airline. Trying to sell part of it at such short notice would be difficult. What happens next will be interesting, especially at LGW. Both BA and U2 will not want to see Norwegian expand massively there so I imagine they will be looking how they can get aircraft and crews in place to make a pitch for slots.

But for today farewell Monarch Airlines.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

INFINITI329

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:57 pm

Im curious as to why a Canadian and a Qatari carrier are being used vs an UK airline or even one from the EU.

jmc757

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:09 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
Im curious as to why a Canadian and a Qatari carrier are being used vs an UK airline or even one from the EU.

Availability of aircraft. More than 30 have been chartered, and obviously UK and EU airlines don't have that capacity. Qatar haven't been chartered directly. CAA went to British Airways, who obviously had a recent tie up with Qatar so agreements were in place. CAA have chartered BA, and BA have sub-chartered Qatar, hence the BA flight numbers and BAW callsigns.

Sad fact is, 10 years ago Monarch would have been the airline the CAA would have gone to for an operation like this. Monarch co-ordinated the XL Airways repatriation in 2008, even though a lot of it wasn't on their aircraft, they were experts in that field.

gunnerman

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:12 pm

JannEejit wrote:
Reading that Monarch statement, they seemed pretty confident that returning to long haul next year was going to be a good earner. Anyone see a Monarch Mk2 rising out of the ashes or even any interest in preserving the Monarch brand by one of the alleged suitors...?

There is zero chance of any Monarch MK2. Vultures such as easyJet, WizzAir, Norwegian Air Shuttle and IAG are already circling the corpse, looking to buy slots (at Manchester, Gatwick, Birmingham, Luton and Leeds-Bradford) and buildings. Some employees such as crew will be recruited. Monarch will simply be the latest in a very long list of failed airlines.

GaryDay

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:14 pm

So sad to see Monarch go. Had many a good flight with them, the last one coming back from ACE in August. Staff always great and every flight was punctual. Special memories include seeing the 1-11's and 720B's blast out of Gatwick in the early 80's. Good luck to all the hard working staff in the future and goodbye ZB

gunnerman

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:18 pm

f4f3a wrote:
Would it not have been better to have given them a loan to keep monarch fleet flying using monarch crews rather than paying others ? Then it would have given more time to sell the airline as a going concern. Like what is happening at air berlin

The difference is that Air Berlin has not gone bust - yet. Monarch is now in administration, so cannot fly.

It's a fair question, though, as to why Monarch cannot be used by the CAA to rescue its passengers from abroad. I think that once an airline has failed, then its insurance and AOC are immediately rescinded, so there have even been cases of a failed airline who aircraft full of passengers had to be grounded and another airline contracted to bring those passengers home.
Last edited by gunnerman on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TC957

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:19 pm

Just seen that Aer Lingus are inviting Monarch pilots to a recruitment seminar at the MAN Radisson Blu tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/AerLingus/status/914886892436549632

TOGA10

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:21 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:

Aren't Titan and Wamos used as well? Pretty European imho.
U2 is reaching out to crew as well: https://mediacentre.easyjet.com/stories/10368
Love flying, hate the alarm at 3 in the morning, love watching the sun rise at 5:30. It's all about compromises.

anstar

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:23 pm

So who is next to fail? Virgin are due to lose 90m this year but I presume Delta will bank roll them for the LHR slots.... Flybe?

VC10er

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:25 pm

I am just learning of this now, I haven't read the whole thread. So sad. My heart and prayers go out to the employees and stranded passengers.

What will happen with their fleet? Any airline wanting to pick up those aircraft?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

OA260

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:31 pm

FlyCaledonian wrote:
Very early in this thread there was criticism of the CAA. .

Not sure why as the CAA have been very organised and professional in their repatriation operation. I am sure the passengers overseas will be very grateful also.

mattyfitzg

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:35 pm

Can somebody explain to me what the need was for them to set up the "SHELFCO". Or am I missing something?

ei146

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:04 pm

gunnerman wrote:
f4f3a wrote:

The difference is that Air Berlin has not gone bust - yet. Monarch is now in administration, so cannot fly.

It's a fair question, though, as to why Monarch cannot be used by the CAA to rescue its passengers from abroad. I think that once an airline has failed, then its insurance and AOC are immediately rescinded, so there have even been cases of a failed airline who aircraft full of passengers had to be grounded and another airline contracted to bring those passengers home.

Air Berlin is in administration. Obviously there are some legal differences between Germany and UK. In Germany the administrator can keep the company running if this is in the interest of the creditors, e.g. to shut it down in a controlled way to minimise additional claims and let the assets keep their value, or in the best case to reorganise the company and restore solvency. In the Air Berlin case it seems to be in the interest of the creditors, the customers and also in the interest of the potential investors to keep it going for some time.

TC957

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:06 pm

VC10er wrote:
I am just learning of this now, I haven't read the whole thread. So sad. My heart and prayers go out to the employees and stranded passengers.

What will happen with their fleet? Any airline wanting to pick up those aircraft?

That'll be down to the lessors, I suspect they'll be flown out of the UK down to Tereul or somewhere else for storage at first.

Staralexi

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:09 pm

Does anyone know if any airline has yet applied to use ZB slots at LGW for this wint or next summer?

f4f3a

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:27 pm

I'm sure some will find new homes quickly . They had a couple of quite new aircraft

GianiDC

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:40 pm

FR24 have made a list of all airplanes being used for repartition flights. At the moment they count 34 including one B 747 and 2 A 340s.

https://blog.flightradar24.com/blog/mon ... perations/

WIederling

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:41 pm

come to thing of it:

We can now compare measures and associated effectivity in how to manage the demise of a transport entity.
Public Money or not, How to bring to bear measure to clean up. ( Air Berlin vs. Monarch.)
Murphy is an optimist

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos