Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

planemanofnz

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - October 2017

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:02 am

Middle East direct flights on cards for Cairns

"HIGH-LEVEL negotiations are under way to link Cairns to the Middle East with regular direct flights after a secretive delegation talked up the region’s newest trump card.

Cairns Regional Council Mayor Bob Manning was coy about the location of his overseas visit on Wednesday, leading to speculation he had been shoring up new route opportunities in Singapore.

It has since emerged he accompanied Crystalbrook Collection CEO Mark Davie and Cairns Airport representatives on a mission to the Middle East to trumpet Syrian billionaire Ghassan Aboud’s four $100 million-plus hotel construction projects across Cairns and Port Douglas.

Delegation members are keeping the identity of the country, or countries, they visited secret, as well as the name of the airlines involved. But their return coincided with the arrival in Cairns of a Gulfstream Aerospace GVI jet belonging to Qatar Executive, the business jet wing of Qatar Airways.

The Federal Government struck a deal in 2015 to significantly increase flights between Australia and Qatar.

In announcing the agreement, then-deputy prime minister Warren Truss specifically mentioned Cairns as a likely beneficiary.

“Under our air services arrangements with Qatar, airlines can also operate unlimited services between Qatar and regional locations, such as Darwin, Adelaide, Gold Coast and Cairns,“ he said in a statement."

See: http://www.cairnspost.com.au/business/m ... 76f26d6065.

Cheers,

C.

RyanairGuru

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:35 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Middle East direct flights on cards for Cairns

"HIGH-LEVEL negotiations are under way to link Cairns to the Middle East with regular direct flights after a secretive delegation talked up the region’s newest trump card.

Cairns Regional Council Mayor Bob Manning was coy about the location of his overseas visit on Wednesday, leading to speculation he had been shoring up new route opportunities in Singapore.

It has since emerged he accompanied Crystalbrook Collection CEO Mark Davie and Cairns Airport representatives on a mission to the Middle East to trumpet Syrian billionaire Ghassan Aboud’s four $100 million-plus hotel construction projects across Cairns and Port Douglas.

Delegation members are keeping the identity of the country, or countries, they visited secret, as well as the name of the airlines involved. But their return coincided with the arrival in Cairns of a Gulfstream Aerospace GVI jet belonging to Qatar Executive, the business jet wing of Qatar Airways.

The Federal Government struck a deal in 2015 to significantly increase flights between Australia and Qatar.

In announcing the agreement, then-deputy prime minister Warren Truss specifically mentioned Cairns as a likely beneficiary.

“Under our air services arrangements with Qatar, airlines can also operate unlimited services between Qatar and regional locations, such as Darwin, Adelaide, Gold Coast and Cairns,“ he said in a statement."

See: http://www.cairnspost.com.au/business/m ... 76f26d6065.

Cheers,

C.

Qatar Airways to Cairns seems possible as it could be paired with Brisbane and therefore finally give QR access to the BNE market while circumventing the bilateral, similar to the new DOH-SYD-CBR route. I doubt that whether or not the route is launched has anything to do with Carins, and everything to do with if/when they decide the time is right to enter BNE. Brisbane is a market they pretty much have to serve to round out their Australian network. If they can get some funding from Cairns Regional Council or Tourism Queensland then that is just the icing on the cake.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

planemanofnz

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:40 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Qatar Airways to Cairns seems possible as it could be paired with Brisbane and therefore finally give QR access to the BNE market while circumventing the bilateral, similar to the new DOH-SYD-CBR route. I doubt that whether or not the route is launched has anything to do with Carins, and everything to do with if/when they decide the time is right to enter BNE. Brisbane is a market they pretty much have to serve to round out their Australian network. If they can get some funding from Cairns Regional Council or Tourism Queensland then that is just the icing on the cake.

:checkmark:

Indeed - IMHO, the service will be DOH - BNE - CNS - BNE - DOH, so as to ensure competitiveness against non-stop BNE offerings both ways, by EK / EY.

Cheers,

C.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:45 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Adelaide Airport lifts net profit amid growth in international passengers

"Adelaide Airport Ltd (AAL) has reaped the rewards of increased international flights to lift revenue and markedly boost net profit for 2016/17.

The company said in its annual report released on Monday net profit for the 12 months to June 30 2017 soared to $48.5 million, easily eclipsing the previous year’s $28.6 million.

Adelaide had the fastest-growing international passenger numbers in the country.

Airport management has said previously that, having achieved the ambition of gaining direct services into China, the US West Coast was the next major priority."

See: http://australianaviation.com.au/2017/1 ... assengers/.

Cheers,

C.

This has already been covered in this thread
Forum Moderator

qf002

Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:31 am

planemanofnz wrote:
I re-iterate that aside from India, Taiwan is the only top-10 trade partner without QF flights.

Except that it isn't - according to these figures from 2016 South Korea, India, Germany and Malaysia all outrank Taiwan and also lack QF service.

If QF is going to open service to anywhere new in Asia in the next year or two then it has to be South Korea.

planemanofnz

Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:49 am

qf002 wrote:
Except that it isn't - according to these figures from 2016 South Korea, India, Germany and Malaysia all outrank Taiwan and also lack QF service.

If QF is going to open service to anywhere new in Asia in the next year or two then it has to be South Korea.

Indeed, you are correct - it should read as "export" instead of "trade," and should have made reference to South Korea.

I completely agree that ICN should be on QF's radar, and in fact, it likely already is - my main reservation with ICN as opposed to TPE though, is that SYD - ICN already has two carriers (KE and OZ), whereas SYD - TPE currently has no competition, with only CI serving the market.

We shall have to wait and see. :stirthepot:

Cheers,

C.

jbflyguy84

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:02 am

RyanairGuru wrote:

The DOH-SYD-CBR-SYD-DOH flight is already using the additional rights to a gateway city. Currently the ASA agreement between Qatar and Australia is 21 services a week to the gateway cities plus an additional 7 services to a gateway city when to/from/via a regional airport.

Hence they could do DRW/CNS together, or CNS/OOL, but not BNE.

planemanofnz

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:07 am

jbflyguy84 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

The DOH-SYD-CBR-SYD-DOH flight is already using the additional rights to a gateway city. Currently the ASA agreement between Qatar and Australia is 21 services a week to the gateway cities plus an additional 7 services to a gateway city when to/from/via a regional airport.

Hence they could do DRW/CNS together, or CNS/OOL, but not BNE.

Thank you for the clarification.

AFAIK, OOL's runway cannot handle a non-stop flight to the Middle East - is this correct?

Cheers,

C.

Qantas16

Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:43 am

planemanofnz wrote:
AFAIK, OOL's runway cannot handle a non-stop flight to the Middle East - is this correct?

As far as I am aware, you are correct. While I'm not convinced we will see a Gulf carrier at OOL for a while, if we do it will be via CNS or SE Asia.

jbflyguy84

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:06 am

planemanofnz wrote:

The previous poster answered succinctly - if OOL is ever to be an option, it wont be direct to the ME.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:13 am

B-LRQ is taking the honours in operating the first CX A359 service to PER

https://www.flightradar24.com/CPA171/f5d0577
Forum Moderator

bunumuring

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:16 am

Hey guys,

(1) RIP Ben Sandilands. A very knowledgeable and generous man. Condolences to his family and friends.

(2) Ansett operated Sydney-Taipei and in fact used it as a transit connection for kangaroo route flights to Europe.... I know because I booked it in 1997: Sydney-Taipei (on Ansett) then Taipei-Zurich (on Swissair) for a free stopover then Zurich-London (on Swissair). The return flight was the same except the free stopover was in Taipei rather than Zurich. I had it booked for months but then had to cancel at the last minute due to illness. I am not sure how long operated the route and I can't remember the frequency but I do remember that it was NOT daily as I had to change plans during the booking phase as Ansett didn't operate Taipei-Sydney on the specific day I wanted to fly back.

(3) it's interesting that in the AustBT article quoted above by mariner and qf789, Gareth Evans mentions the 787-8 only in relation to Jetstar, while the 787-9 and 787-10 are mentioned in relation to Qantas. I have always considered it a possibility that Jetstar may get Dreamliner9s and/or Dreamliner10s for further international expansion, the former for flights further afield (the almost mythical sthn Europe flights mentioned years ago, west coast USA) and the latter for Asian / Pacific routes (Hawaii? Bali? Vietnam? Singapore? Hong Kong: ouch!)......

Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

juliusg

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:21 pm

bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,

(1) RIP Ben Sandilands. A very knowledgeable and generous man. Condolences to his family and friends.

Oh this is sad news. I was wondering why there have been no posts on Plane Talking since October 20. Sudden?

planemanofnz

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:02 am

Hi all,

JD's new TAO - SYD service launches today.

Arrival of seventh Chinese airline to Sydney marks new era for tourism

"The seventh mainland Chinese airline to launch flights to Sydney will touch down on Monday, illustrating the enormous growth in visitors from the world's emerging superpower.

With the number of Chinese travelling to Australia growing at 11 per cent a year, Beijing Capital Airlines is starting direct flights between Sydney and Qingdao, the home of the well-known Tsingtao beer. The airline will fly twin-aisle A330-200 aircraft four times a week on the route."

See: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/arrival-of-se ... z9cy4.html.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:14 am

Hi all,

Aust BT has just published an article on plans for a new QF A380 on-board lounge - apologies if this has been discussed before.

Qantas Airbus A380 business class lounge gets cafe-style refresh

"Qantas will reshape the upstairs lounge of its Airbus A380 to create more of a social space for the superjumbo’s first class and business class flyers as part of an extensive upgrade to the airline’s flagship double-decker jet.

The project – which will also see the airline’s latest business class and premium economy seats installed and the first class cabin refreshed – will ditch the long red settee for what concept sketches show as two clusters where passengers can mix and mingle, work or even hold impromptu meetings above the clouds.

“The thinking is about trying to find a little bit more seating and make it a little bit more convivial” Caon tells Australian Business Traveller.

“Today everybody’s sitting along the bench and facing one direction, and that's not necessarily the best layout and the best arrangement for people to be in.”

However, with Qantas’ Airbus A380 revamp not due to start until mid-2019 it’s still early days for Caon and his team."

See: https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-airbus- ... le-refresh.

Cheers,

C.

tullamarine

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:11 am

juliusg wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,

Oh this is sad news. I was wondering why there have been no posts on Plane Talking since October 20. Sudden?

Sadly not, Ben had been fighting cancer for a couple of years. I last emailed him early this month and he was basically housebound though I think the end may have come quicker than expected.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

redroo

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:25 am

tullamarine wrote:
juliusg wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,

Sadly not, Ben had been fighting cancer for a couple of years. I last emailed him early this month and he was basically housebound though I think the end may have come quicker than expected.

RIP Ben

planemanofnz

Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:35 am

Gulf carriers now accounting for more than 50% of Australia – Europe passengers

"In the last two decades, the gulf carriers have grown their market share considerably, now accounting for more than 50% of passengers to the region, and almost 15% of total market share from Australia."

I find it interesting that SQ has managed to almost match EK's market share, and grow at double the rate of CX.

See: https://blueswandaily.com/gulf-carriers ... ia-europe/.

Cheers,

C.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:16 am

QF updated 789 domestic schedule

Will also operate a one off MEL-CBR

Domestic flights will also operate from mid Feb to late March

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... n-in-nw17/
Forum Moderator

planemanofnz

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:48 am

Rex pax up 2% in Sep-2017, 61% load factor

"Regional Express (Rex) reported (27-Oct-2017) the following traffic highlights for Sep-2017:

Passengers: 103,000, +2% year-on-year;
Passenger load factor: 60.9%, +3.6ppts."

See: https://blueswandaily.com/rex-pax-up-2- ... ad-factor/.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:53 am

The latest on Western Sydney Airport

"Sydney’s proposed second airport at Badgery’s Creek Airport is expected to commence construction in 2018. WSA Co was incorporated by the Australian government in Aug-2017, charged with the design and construction of the new airport."

I know that this topic has been discussed previously, but the cited article neatly summarises the most recent updates regarding this important development for tourism, trade and transport in Sydney, in case anyone is interested.

See: https://blueswandaily.com/the-latest-on ... airport-2/.

Cheers,

C.

ben175

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:27 am

qf789 wrote:

Amazing! I can try the 787 in March on PER-MEL.

Does anyone know how they are allocating PE seats? Is it based on status or just first come first serve?

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:36 am

ben175 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Amazing! I can try the 787 in March on PER-MEL.

Does anyone know how they are allocating PE seats? Is it based on status or just first come first serve?

For PE seats refer to the following

The 28 premium economy seats will be available via Advance Seat Selection to selected customers with economy bookings.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/how-to-book-do ... boeing-787

Also note as per other 787 domestic schedules these are subject to change
Forum Moderator

Ryanair01

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:11 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Gulf carriers now accounting for more than 50% of Australia – Europe passengers

"In the last two decades, the gulf carriers have grown their market share considerably, now accounting for more than 50% of passengers to the region, and almost 15% of total market share from Australia."

I find it interesting that SQ has managed to almost match EK's market share, and grow at double the rate of CX.

See: https://blueswandaily.com/gulf-carriers ... ia-europe/.

Cheers,

C.

Curious headline as 9.4%+3.2%+2.1% doesn't equal more than 50%. It would be fair to say (when you add on QF) that around half transit through the middle east though. I guess a big part of the QF percent represents EK codeshare, as 2x A380 a day wouldn't let them reach 35%.

Still a nice comparison to "remember the ol' days".

decry

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:51 am

Big day in Sydney today with capital airlines starting it's 4 weekly a330 service, Etihad upgauging EY450/451 to a380 and Asiana & Korean commencing their seasonal a380 flights.

Tomorrow the first American Airlines 789 arrives.

planemanofnz

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:02 am

decry wrote:
Big day in Sydney today with capital airlines starting it's 4 weekly a330 service

Actually, it is only 3x weekly until 17 November, when it will be upgraded to 4x weekly.

See: http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... equencies/.

Cheers,

C.

AmbroseRPM

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:26 am

decry wrote:
Big day in Sydney today with capital airlines starting it's 4 weekly a330 service, Etihad upgauging EY450/451 to a380 and Asiana & Korean commencing their seasonal a380 flights.

Thank you for that, I was wondering which different A380 I saw in the sky over Sydney today. It was Asiana 602 to Seoul. Nice looking aeroplane. It is lovely to see different planes and plenty of upgauging into Sydney.

log0008

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:28 am

decry wrote:

Melbourne didn't miss out either, although did loes that Etihad A380 - we got their 789. We did however get Srilankan daily! We also have Chongqing starting in 2 days time!!

decry

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:15 am

Another recent seasonal upguage for Sydney has been Air China's CA173/174 to 77W through to March next year.

decry

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:23 am

AmbroseRPM wrote:
Thank you for that, I was wondering which different A380 I saw in the sky over Sydney today. It was Asiana 602 to Seoul. Nice looking aeroplane. It is lovely to see different planes and plenty of upgauging into Sydney.

At it's peak this summer Sydney will have 12 a380 arrivals before midday. (i believe arrival times to be correct) International only has 6 a380 gates. Around half of these aircraft are towed off to stand off bays or the qantas jetbase not long after arrival with the others turning around for departure.

QF8 - 06.05
QF2 - 06:10
EY450 - 06.30
SQ221 - 06.55
EK412 - 07.00
KE121 - 07.05
QF12 - 08.30
OZ601 - 08.40
EK418 - 09.00
CZ325 - 09.25
QF118 - 09.45
SQ231 - 11.25

XAM2175

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:39 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
[i]"A major security flaw at Sydney airport’s domestic terminal has been revealed, after notorious paparazzo Jayden Seyfarth allegedly managed to nab Bachelorette couple Sophie Monk and Stu Laundy’s boarding passes.
According to Mr Seyfarth, getting a hold of celebrity’s boarding passes is simply a matter of typing in their name, their flight destination and printing them off.

I will admit to not having flown Virgin since the DJ days, but all self-check systems I've used have asked for the PNR as well as the name, and if a hack scribbler can get hold of that then you've bigger problems than just boarding passes.

RyanairGuru

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:48 pm

XAM2175 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
[i]"A major security flaw at Sydney airport’s domestic terminal has been revealed, after notorious paparazzo Jayden Seyfarth allegedly managed to nab Bachelorette couple Sophie Monk and Stu Laundy’s boarding passes.
According to Mr Seyfarth, getting a hold of celebrity’s boarding passes is simply a matter of typing in their name, their flight destination and printing them off.

I will admit to not having flown Virgin since the DJ days, but all self-check systems I've used have asked for the PNR as well as the name, and if a hack scribbler can get hold of that then you've bigger problems than just boarding passes.

Qantas’ self-check kiosks are the same, the PNR is not required. Just name and destination.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

XAM2175

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:57 pm

Oh hell, really? I do have a thing for cardstock boarding passes and so usually avoid self check-in but I could have sworn needing to provide more information in the past.

Even railway ticket machines in the UK require the PNR and a credit or debit card in the same name as that used to pay for the booking when collecting advance tickets.

EK413

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:20 pm

XAM2175 wrote:
Oh hell, really? I do have a thing for cardstock boarding passes and so usually avoid self check-in but I could have sworn needing to provide more information in the past.

Even railway ticket machines in the UK require the PNR and a credit or debit card in the same name as that used to pay for the booking when collecting advance tickets.

Definitely a security concern I remember last time I used only having to provide surname and had an option to change flight number too.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

smi0006

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:44 pm

Only real security concern is someone stealing someone else’s ticket - I suppose a two step process requiring a PNR would help aliviate this. Challenge is travel agent, and online booking agent PNRs often dont match airline ones.

tullamarine

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:03 pm

EK413 wrote:
XAM2175 wrote:

Definitely a security concern I remember last time I used only having to provide surname and had an option to change flight number too.

EK413

Authorities are aware of the potential security hole. The recommended way to overcome this is by allowing only ticketed pax airside of security with photographic ID checked at security. This is not unique with most airports in US, Europe and Asia already imposing this restriction (some even only allow ticketed pax into the terminal pre-security).

Airport owners are pushing back on this as they are more interested in the revenue they earn from the airside concessions and how much they will decline if the restriction comes into force. Whilst I understand their concern, it can be overcome. AMS is a great example of this which basically has a shopping mall landside between the terminal and the railway access. It is quite a good facility with a variety of stores and also spreads the incoming pax meeting area well so there is no particular crush anywhere.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

Qantas16

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:18 pm

tullamarine wrote:
EK413 wrote:
Authorities are aware of the potential security hole. The recommended way to overcome this is by allowing only ticketed pax airside of security with photographic ID checked at security. This is not unique with most airports in US, Europe and Asia already imposing this restriction (some even only allow ticketed pax into the terminal pre-security).

Airport owners are pushing back on this as they are more interested in the revenue they earn from the airside concessions and how much they will decline if the restriction comes into force. Whilst I understand their concern, it can be overcome. AMS is a great example of this which basically has a shopping mall landside between the terminal and the railway access. It is quite a good facility with a variety of stores and also spreads the incoming pax meeting area well so there is no particular crush anywhere.

I have always failed to understand how imposing a restriction to only allow ticketed pax past security will make anything safer. Provided everyone goes through security, what does it matter if they have a ticket or not?

I understand (though would hate to see it implemented) the requirement for photo I.D. but it shouldn't matter if you are travelling or not.

RyanairGuru

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:25 pm

Only allowing ticketed passengers through security achieves almost nothing. ID shouldn’t be so much checked at security as at the gate. If everyone getting on the plane has ID that matches their ticket then that is safer than the US approach to check ID at TSA but not during boarding. If someone wanted to throw off the FBI it would be pretty straight forward to swap boarding passes after security.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

planemanofnz

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:40 am

mariner wrote:
Qantas will revamp its domestic fleet from the mid-2020s with either the advanced Boeing 737 MAX or the Airbus A320neo and the yet-to-be-built mid-sized Boeing 797, which would also pick up some flights into south-east Asia.

It is a shame that QF is not considering the CS100 then - even for 'Link,' given that QF is already an Airbus and Bombardier customer.

The CS100 appears to an have impressive range, with a low capacity - though, I am no expert on its economics or technical viabilty.

Cheers,

C.

mariner

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:59 am

planemanofnz wrote:
mariner wrote:
Qantas will revamp its domestic fleet from the mid-2020s with either the advanced Boeing 737 MAX or the Airbus A320neo and the yet-to-be-built mid-sized Boeing 797, which would also pick up some flights into south-east Asia.

Whoever you're quoting there, it isn't me.

Beyond the basic aircraft types I know very little about the Qantas fleet and I know even less about their plans for the future. :-)

mariner
aeternum nauta

planemanofnz

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:59 am

mariner wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
mariner wrote:

Whoever you're quoting there, it isn't me.

It was a quote of the article that you copied and pasted into the thread, at post #589. :)

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:22 am

Hi all,

Philippine media report that Cebu Pacific is still considering a Melbourne flight.

See: http://business.inquirer.net/239608/ceb ... y-honolulu.

Cheers,

C.

mariner

Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:32 am

planemanofnz wrote:
It was a quote of the article that you copied and pasted into the thread, at post #589. :)

I might wish you had quoted the article rather than my post, but each to their own.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Sydscott

Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:41 am

planemanofnz wrote:
It is a shame that QF is not considering the CS100 then - even for 'Link,' given that QF is already an Airbus and Bombardier customer.

QF have acquired the F100 and the 717 for their needs so there really isn't a place for the CS100 in the QF fleet and there really aren't any missions that QF would use it for that can't be covered by the existing fleet. If anything the issue for QF is not much in the 50 seats or under category. That part of the market is basically all Rex's now.

I'm also not surprised about QF not making a decision on the 738 replacement until the mid 2020's. The current fleet, with regular upgrades, is more than capable of lasting another 10 years while it allows QF time to get their longhaul operations into shape using the 789 and making a decision on the 77X vs A350.

planemanofnz

Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:00 am

Sydscott wrote:
QF have acquired the F100 and the 717 for their needs so there really isn't a place for the CS100 in the QF fleet.

When will QF retire these aircraft types?

A QF CS100 fleet could serve as their replacement, while allowing QF to open longer 'thin' routes too, that the F100 and/or 717 do not have the legs for.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:17 am

Canberra Airport asks federal government for help on cancelled Sydney flights

"Canberra Airport's owners have called for the federal government to investigate higher than average flight cancellation rates from Sydney and to consider introducing new national performance benchmarks.

Canberra Airport managing director Stephen Byron has approached Transport Minister Darren Chester calling for action."

See: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... zbmpb.html.

Cheers,

C.

jupiter2

Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:57 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Sydscott wrote:
QF have acquired the F100 and the 717 for their needs so there really isn't a place for the CS100 in the QF fleet.

A QF CS100 fleet could serve as their replacement, while allowing QF to open longer 'thin' routes too, that the F100 and/or 717 do not have the legs for.

Cheers,

C.

They'll retire them when they run out of hours. The Fokkers and the 717, supplemented by the 737's, are perfect for the roles in the fleet.

What long thin routes ?

tullamarine

Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:18 am

jupiter2 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
Sydscott wrote:

Cheers,

C.

They'll retire them when they run out of hours. The Fokkers and the 717, supplemented by the 737's, are perfect for the roles in the fleet.

What long thin routes ?

Given the F100s of both QF and VA are mainly operated on FIFO charters and a few "not very profitable"regional routes, it is hard to see either rushing to replace them in the short to medium term. The current strategy of both is to siphon up as many used F100s from the international market as needed. Some are put into service whilst others are used for spares. The CS100 is a good aircraft but it is currently way too expensive for what QF or VA would use them on. VA has shown with the E170s and E190s that it is hard to make money with regional jets in Australia. AN had a similar experience with their CRJs in the late '90s.

At some point, they will be replaced but I think the next major replacement in regional Australia will be REX who needs to look a at replacing their Saabs which now have an average age over 20 years. This small (sub 50 seat) regional market is quite limited so the only real option for Rex would appear to be the ATR42 which, even then, would be an increase of around 10-12 seats (30%) per plane so the economics will be interesting.

Pcoder

Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:46 am

planemanofnz wrote:

"Canberra Airport's owners have called for the federal government to investigate higher than average flight cancellation rates from Sydney and to consider introducing new national performance benchmarks.

Canberra Airport managing director Stephen Byron has approached Transport Minister Darren Chester calling for action."

Cheers,

C.

What is needed in Australia is a EU style flight compensation regulation. I think the Australian airlines are allowed to get away with too much.

USAOZ

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:04 am

Pcoder wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

What is needed in Australia is a EU style flight compensation regulation. I think the Australian airlines are allowed to get away with too much.
SYD/CBR is most expensive route per km in OZ, cos majority of pax are either public servants or people going to see public servants, neither of whom pay their own fares. VA & QF as a result put on far too many flights, "for convenience". Pax don't care if their flight is canned, as most will just sit in QF or VA club & if anyone asks why they were late back, they simply say flight was canned.

So QF/VA hand out a few drinks/some food & everyone is happy.

BENCHMARKS ?

Already many airline pad their timetables so they can take of late & still land early.

Looked at a recent SYD/MNL timetable & 3 airlines flying same aircraft A330's had vastly different flying times. Incidentally the ULCC Cebu Pacific, was 90 minutes faster, than the slowest, QF.

Plus any compo scheme will just be another way lawyers take their huge cut, which is what is occuring right now in EU. Do you really want to pay more in fares, just to pay lawyers ? Don't think so. Would rather apply rule 303 to lawyers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos