Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Eirules

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:49 pm

Is there room for 2 carriers on the DUB-KEF route even with connections?
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

kaitak
Topic Author

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:28 pm

Well, the good news keeps rolling in. Delighted to welcome FI; glad they're operating 752s, because I'm sure they'll move it to 737-Maxes within a year.

Galwayman

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:34 pm

Time for EI to launch KEF , that's where the real EI competition for transatlantic is

Eirules

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:49 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Time for EI to launch KEF , that's where the real EI competition for transatlantic is

I don't think so. While WOW & Icelandair have the geographic advantage, almost no one from Iceland will fly to Dublin to get to the USA

Galwayman

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:19 pm

True , but they will fly via Dublin to FCO , Milan , Ams , Rome , Paris etc and that's where EI can damage FI and Wow

Skyblue39

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:27 pm

Galwayman wrote:
True , but they will fly via Dublin to FCO , Milan , Ams , Rome , Paris etc and that's where EI can damage FI and Wow

But why would they fly onestop via DUB, when they can already fly to these destinations nonstop using WOW or Icelandair?

tonystan

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:29 pm

Galwayman wrote:

Who exactly are you talking about? The handful of Icelanders wanting to transit via Dublin to places Icelandair or WOW already fly to? Or the US/North American customers who have already flown to KEF only to add another transit via Dublin?

Did much thought go into your comment?
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

planemanofnz

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:54 am

Hi all,

Given the state of DUB, what does everyone think about the viability of re-looking at Baldonnell as a secondary airport - perhaps for low-cost carriers?

DUB is only going to become more crowded with CX to HKG, FI to KEF and AC to YUL, on top of talks of HU to PEK and QR going double-daily.

Some points worth considering:

- Military operations: would it not be easy to move some of the Air Corps' operations to Gormanstown? Alternatively, Baldonnell could be shared with civilian aircraft (take Belfast Aldergrove as an example).

- Facilities: I am sure that FR would consider putting up some of the funds required to build a passenger terminal with air-side facilities?

- Runway length: at 1,829 m, runway length should not be a problem - this is similar to airports like ZQN and DUD which successfully serve 3+ hour jet flights.

- Weather: given its proximity to mountains, Baldonnell is more prone to winds and gusts - in contrast, DUB is surrounded for miles by flat land. However, airports like SZG are still viable with similar geography.

- Connectivity: Baldonnell is quite close to Citywest - it could be an option to extend the Luas from Saggart, providing good public transport.

- Flight path: AFAIK, the 29 approach goes over Tallaght, while the 23 approach goes over Clondalkin. There are complaints made to the Air Corps about the existing number of aircraft movements and their noise. In light of this, would it be politically viable for a government to make Baldonnell civilian?

The most recent article in the media I could find on this was from 2009: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/council ... t-1.691794.

Cheers,

C.

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:01 am

I think you make very good points; I think, however, that this is a non-runner politically, as the flight paths would cross many crucial constituencies and no party would want to do that.

It was strongly considered a few years back, but nothing came of it. I don't think anything will.

Dardania

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:14 am

I think it would be a mistake for Dublin, to segregate it's airports - inter-connectivity and a critical mass of services are strengths - if this is diluted by another airport, it could end up being worse overall.
Dublin would be far better addressing the fundamental issues at DUB (optimising ground movements, terminal handling capacity for passengers) I believe.

EI564

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:19 am

I think the very strong growth over the last few years have caught Dublin Airport on the backfoot. But there are plans to sort things out. The new runway for example. Although, the government still hasn't set up this body to monitor noise. The runway can't be started without that.

ClassicLover

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:04 am

Ticketyboo wrote:
I sat in the DAA Lounge last week for my LH flight to MUC and still remain shocked that they spent money on this travesty (some training on good manners for the desk staff wouldn't go a miss either).

Agree with you on the manners. Last time I entered about 20 minutes before closing in Terminal 1 and the person at the desk could not have been more unfriendly. I mean seriously could not give a rats and answered my questions in a sullen and disinterested manner. I mean there's having a bad day and there's being a prick for no reason.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Eirules

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:58 pm

So it’s PHL for EI and not one post on the Irish thread. Does that say more about how we’re getting greedy after announcements of places like HKG & DOH or that Aer Lingus have AGAIN taken the safe option?

Skyblue39

Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:53 pm

Really was hoping for Dallas or Pittsburgh, personally. But no, they announce an already-served US destination. Mlehhhh.... In any case, so far this is DUB's third new long-haul announcement for 2018, after Air Canada (Montréal), Cathay (Hong Kong) and just after yesterday's new route by Icelandair (Keflavík). 2018 is shaping up to be a record year....

tonystan

Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:24 pm

Unlike some, I’m delighted to see EI are launching this great route, with access to a significant Oneworld hub and which clearly will provide consistent yield for the business.

shamrock350

Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:50 pm

We've been very fortunate these past few years with regards to long haul expansion, particularly from Aer Lingus across the Atlantic. It's understandable that some of us may find a route announcement like PHL a little disappointing but it's worth remembering that not long ago Aer Lingus was seriously struggling on long haul and the US carriers weren't doing much better from Ireland so the amount of growth we continue to see whether it's Miami and Los Angeles or Newark and Philadelphia, is all very welcome news!

Every new route is also a big vote of confidence in Dublin and Ireland as a whole, it can only be positive and attract more business in the new future. Aer Lingus operating 12 Airbus A321LR is an exciting prospect and opens a lot of new opportunities, I did think 7 was a little conservative so lets hope for that top up order soon.

shamrock321

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:43 pm

PHL is great news for Aer Lingus and the DUBHUB project. I know people aren't happy that they are playing it safe but I really don't think a route like DFW or IAH would work from DUB.

OA260

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:05 pm

planemanofnz wrote:

Given the state of DUB, what does everyone think about the viability of re-looking at Baldonnell as a secondary airport - perhaps for low-cost carriers?

Its a non runner for so many reasons. Will never happen IMHO.

---

New motorway ‘significant boost’ to Knock Airport

The management of Ireland West Airport Knock have welcomed the opening of the new M17 motorway which they say will shorter journey times between Galway and the airport.
The new M17/18 from Tuam to Gort was officially opened last Wednesday by Minister for Transport, Shane Ross and will join with the existing motorway from Gort to Limerick.
The new €550 million motorway has been seen by many as an advantage for Shannon Airport, with motorways now available for the majority of the journey from north Galway to Shannon Airport.
Both airports are in competition for passengers from Galway city, and the convenience of the motorway could prompt some to choose Shannon over Knock.
However, Joe Gilmore, the Managing Director of Ireland West Airport, said the M17 will be a significant boost for the airport, as it will cut 15 to 20 minutes off the journey from Galway city to Knock Airport.

http://www.mayonews.ie/news/30860-new-m ... ck-airport

OA260

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:32 pm

Dublin Airport runway planning permission challenged

A group of Fingal residents have begun a High Court action challenging permission for a second runway at Dublin Airport.

The St Margaret's Concerned Residents Group claim that Fingal County Council was wrong to extend the permission because Dublin Airport had breached the existing permission in carrying out preliminary works.

The DAA was originally granted permission for the 3km North Runway in 2007 estimated to cost €329m but did not proceed with the plan because of the economic downturn.

The ten-year permission was extended for a further five years last March.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2017/100 ... n-airport/

Eirules

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:43 pm

OA260 wrote:
Dublin Airport runway planning permission challenged

A group of Fingal residents have begun a High Court action challenging permission for a second runway at Dublin Airport.

The St Margaret's Concerned Residents Group claim that Fingal County Council was wrong to extend the permission because Dublin Airport had breached the existing permission in carrying out preliminary works.

The DAA was originally granted permission for the 3km North Runway in 2007 estimated to cost €329m but did not proceed with the plan because of the economic downturn.

The ten-year permission was extended for a further five years last March.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2017/100 ... n-airport/

More nosey small minded do gooders with no interest in what’s good for the majority of the country. Nearly as bad as this nonsense in Athenry delaying almost €1b of investment because people won’t have anywhere else to walk their dog. Ugh don’t get me started

eirflot

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:10 pm

As I noted in an earlier post - nothing has actually changed in Ireland! Whilst we are told we have the purest of democracies it does lead to totally parochial politics. We really do need first past the post and some attempt at a country, rather than parish view. The Dublin Airport runway should already been under construction and any disagreements should be filed under National Interest. Dublin Airport, an for that matter all Irish Airports should be open 24 hours and staffing should be at appropriate levels - each and every hour of the twenty four! I must admit to some frustration when I hear comments - such and such union has agreed that a company may decide to etc!! I have no doubt that unions have a place, just not sure anymore what their actual role is. Same as those who have no place to walk their dogs - as a famous Irish housewife and mother likes to say 'that's nice'

There is never an O'Putin when you need one!!! :banghead:

planemanofnz

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:40 pm

OA260 wrote:

Would you mind outlining these reasons?

Cheers,

C.

ClassicLover

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:25 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Cheers,

C.

You wrote them in your own post... 1 - weather, more prone to winds and gusts, and 2 - flight path over Tallaght and Clondalkin. Not a hope of it ever happening due to that.

Plus, there is nothing wrong with Dublin at all. It's getting busy but you mentioned in your post about 5 extra aircraft per day (CX, FI, QR, etc). The airport does have a master plan to expand you know, and opening a new airport due to short term congestion during one peak period in the day at the existing airport is madness.

OA260

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:29 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Cheers,

C.

Dubllin Airport would do all they could to block it. They do not want competition so close to their own turf. Then of course the issues raised above.

Ryanair would not want it as they seem to be moving towards main airports and connections to legacy carriers. If FR were not wanting it then there is certainly no demand to warrant it.

There would be local opposition from residents surrounding the wider area.

Finally Dublin does not need another airport. It needs another runway and Terminal 3 at DUB. Efforts would be better spent trying to get those in the long term.

ClassicLover

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:50 pm

Looks like Boeing 757s to PHL. EI115. 4 times per week from 25 March.

Information from FlightGlobal Dashboard by author David Kaminski-Morrow in London (just to credit where I got the information from).

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:51 pm

Thanks for the info ... the 757 fleet is going to be stretched next year! A321NeoLR can't come soon enough!

Incidentally, does anyone know if 'GCF is the last EI 333 to come, or are they expecting more?

styles9002

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:59 pm

eirflot wrote:
Whilst we are told we have the purest of democracies...

LOL, who has told you this?
It is what it is.

aemoreira1981

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:59 pm

This is a route for which the leased A321LRs will perfect. They cannot come soon enough, and ideally, they would take over all flying to and from Shannon, as well as DUB-PHL.

alancostello

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:02 pm

kaitak wrote:
Thanks for the info ... the 757 fleet is going to be stretched next year! A321NeoLR can't come soon enough!

Incidentally, does anyone know if 'GCF is the last EI 333 to come, or are they expecting more?

Last one currently on order, I’d be amazed if there aren’t more widebodies in the near future

JAmie2k9

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:34 pm

The way one or two people are talking here you would be forgiven for thinking DUB was a third world airport. The passenger experience is pretty good overall. Yes the daa can improve things. The comparison with ZUR is also very flawed and does not represent like with like.
The EI IT department really need to stop messing up route announcements, I mean releasing flights online and then having to be told about the release to then remove them. I am sure most have saw I have posted the schedule elsewhere. I only posted it because it entered the public domain. Would of waited until it was official otherwise. They have managed to get ahead of themselves for the third announcement in a row!

I would echo Shamrock 350's comments, most of the safe options are now ticked off, they will have to get brave next year or whenever they decided to add other routes.
Last edited by JAmie2k9 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HTCone

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:35 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
This is a route for which the leased A321LRs will perfect. They cannot come soon enough, and ideally, they would take over all flying to and from Shannon, as well as DUB-PHL.

There are definitely 7 LRs coming, EI want 12 and IAG CEO Willie Walsh seemed to back this plan recently.

SNN-JFK, SNN-BOS, DUB-BDL and DUB-IAD/PHL takes care of the first 4

The daytime return DUB-JFK could return.

SNN-ORD could be a possibility, although I believe EI currently have a codeshare with UA on the route,

That could mean half a dozen LRs are looking for routes. BUF, PIT, PVD, DTW and many others could lobby EI hard here.

eirflot

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:07 pm

Styles9002 - proportional representation is the purest form of democracy - so the political classes tell us - everyone has a vote and every one vote counts! Personally I believe it to be flawed and a major part of the past and current problems in Ireland. Who know really??!

JAmie2k9 - each to his / her own opinion. Dublin Airport is as close to third world as it gets - in my opinion. It is quite an impressive shopping mall, has very limited space where itneeds lots and the DAA have this incredible ability to create major bottle necks-period. Terminal 2 is showing it's age, the bathrooms /toilets are always untidy and smell, there is a serious lack of seating, the floors are cracking and look no different to the floors in Terminal 1. I have given up trying to understand immigration - and whilst some might say that is not a DAA problem, I disagree.

Not sure I understand your comment on DUB versus ZRH - how are they so different and therefore cannot be compared?

JAmie2k9

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:13 pm

eirflot wrote:
Styles9002 - proportional representation is the purest form of democracy - so the political classes tell us - everyone has a vote and every one vote counts! Personally I believe it to be flawed and a major part of the past and current problems in Ireland. Who know really??!

JAmie2k9 - each to his / her own opinion. Dublin Airport is as close to third world as it gets - in my opinion. It is quite an impressive shopping mall, has very limited space where itneeds lots and the DAA have this incredible ability to create major bottle necks-period. Terminal 2 is showing it's age, the bathrooms /toilets are always untidy and smell, there is a serious lack of seating, the floors are cracking and look no different to the floors in Terminal 1. I have given up trying to understand immigration - and whilst some might say that is not a DAA problem, I disagree.

Not sure I understand your comment on DUB versus ZRH - how are they so different and therefore cannot be compared?

The fact that passenger charges at ZUR are 9-11 euro more per head than at DUB and that just passenger, it does not include other charges which are just as much above DUB. I really think people are forgetting when you have carriers like Ryanair and even Aer Lingus generating 80%+ traffic. They don't want a fancy airport, they want a cheap airport and they would argue DUB is not cheap. There is very little low coast activity at ZUR and now you know why.....

The retail space in DUB is comparable with most airports. Personally I have never had dirty toilets at DUB but I am sure it happens from time to time.

IrishJ

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:14 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Cheers,

C.

You wrote them in your own post... 1 - weather, more prone to winds and gusts, and 2 - flight path over Tallaght and Clondalkin. Not a hope of it ever happening due to that.

Plus, there is nothing wrong with Dublin at all. It's getting busy but you mentioned in your post about 5 extra aircraft per day (CX, FI, QR, etc). The airport does have a master plan to expand you know, and opening a new airport due to short term congestion during one peak period in the day at the existing airport is madness.

Hi all! Been a long time creeper of this forum and have a beautiful love affair with everything airports and aviation.

Just a quick question to the above. Any picture of the layout of the Dublin masterplan that you mentioned? I've seen images before but the images I have seen for it have the master plan replacing runway 16/34 with the expansion of pier B? Or is it the Dublin Airport City masterplan you were reffering to? :smile:

JAmie2k9

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:20 pm

IrishJ wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

Hi all! Been a long time creeper of this forum and have a beautiful love affair with everything airports and aviation.

Just a quick question to the above. Any picture of the layout of the Dublin masterplan that you mentioned? I've seen images before but the images I have seen for it have the master plan replacing runway 16/34 with the expansion of pier B? Or is it the Dublin Airport City masterplan you were reffering to? :smile:

http://i.imgur.com/NY2T2BH.jpg

This is not the updated one (not public yet), changes since mean 16/34 will stay, so B and A piers cannot be expanded like in the picture. F will likely happen in the coming years and probally the next big thing after the runway.

ClassicLover

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:53 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
The EI IT department really need to stop messing up route announcements, I mean releasing flights online and then having to be told about the release to then remove them. I am sure most have saw I have posted the schedule elsewhere. I only posted it because it entered the public domain. Would of waited until it was official otherwise. They have managed to get ahead of themselves for the third announcement in a row!

I would echo Shamrock 350's comments, most of the safe options are now ticked off, they will have to get brave next year or whenever they decided to add other routes.

To be quite honest, I hazard a guess that "messing up route announcements" is quite deliberate. It lets the aviation industry and the Avgeeks know what is going on before the usual press release goes out to the mainstream media. It makes people want to talk about it and try to break it before others do, creating a buzz around the announcement. I think it's terribly smart.

With regards to the "safe options" ... these are the routes that will make money. What do you want EI to do, run routes that lose cash hand over fist? It's smart business to try out so called "safe" routes. If it were that safe, PHL would have come online years ago.

eirflot wrote:

You don't travel much, do you?

Dublin is a world class facility overall with very fast and friendly security, nice check-in areas, and a range of food and drink options, as well as a smoking area and pleasant surroundings. The only lack, to me, is the shitty DAA lounges, but airport operated lounges are often average.

Sure, the airport could be better, but you've clearly not been around if you consider Dublin to be "as close to third world as it gets". Dublin holds its own on the world stage very much so. The DAA do a lot that is right and both terminals look good and make for a nice passenger experience. That really is the aim. Your comment is baffling to me, to be quite honest.

Skyblue39

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:36 pm

eirflot wrote:

Exaggerating much? Dublin a 3rd world airport.... come off it. But in the same breath you claim it’s an impressive shopping mall. Thanks for letting me know there are impressive 3rd world shopping malls... now that’s news to me.

Zachbt

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:41 pm

eirflot wrote:

Dublin a third world airport lol try bfs, the local bus station to the UK and bucket and spade destinations!

Don't get me wrong bfs is my local airport and I absolutely love it to pieces, more so than bhd which is newer, Dublin seems like a palace. But that's just my two cents

tonystan

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:55 pm

ClassicLover wrote:

Dublin is a world class facility overall with very fast and friendly security, nice check-in areas, and a range of food and drink options, as well as a smoking area and pleasant surroundings. The only lack, to me, is the shitty DAA lounges, but airport operated lounges are often average.

Sure, the airport could be better, but you've clearly not been around if you consider Dublin to be "as close to third world as it gets". Dublin holds its own on the world stage very much so. The DAA do a lot that is right and both terminals look good and make for a nice passenger experience. That really is the aim. Your comment is baffling to me, to be quite honest.

I’m glad you said it first.

Airports/terminals far far worse than DUB within a stones throw away.....

MAN, CDG, GLA, LGW South, TXL, IST, STN, LBA, BFS, ORY....And that’s just the few I’m familiar with.

Philly65

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:03 am

ClassicLover wrote:
Looks like Boeing 757s to PHL. EI115. 4 times per week from 25 March.

Information from FlightGlobal Dashboard by author David Kaminski-Morrow in London (just to credit where I got the information from).

Right on and about time!

OA260

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:05 am

Plane makes emergency landing at Shannon Airport after report of possible fire

A transatlantic flight has made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport this Wednesday morning after reports of a possible cargo hold fire.

The American Airlines AA62 flight from Miami to Paris – a Boeing 777-200 – was forced to divert due to a cargo hold fire indication, landing shortly after 7am this morning.

It was met on the runway by fire crews from Shannon Town and passengers disembarked safely.

A passenger posted on Twitter: “Great start to our European adventure. We're safe. Looks like it was a false alarm.”

An inspection of the plane is taking place.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/ ... -fire.html

---

Lack of Executive threatening future of City of Derry Airport – Eastwood

It’s been claimed that the lack of a Stormont Executive is threatening the future of City of Derry Airport.

SDLP leader Colm Eastwood was speaking after a party delegation met with the permanent secretary of the Department of the Economy to discuss future funding for the airport.

Speaking after last evening’s meeting, Colm eastwood said the delay to investment at the airport is just one more casualty of political failure.

He says last year, to much fanfare, the Executive announced a £7million funding package to help attract new airlines and improve infrastructure, but that’s not been forthcoming due to the collapse of the power-sharing government.

http://www.highlandradio.com/2017/10/03 ... -eastwood/

dstc47

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:13 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Hi all,

would it not be easy to move some of the Air Corps' operations to Gormanstown? .

As far as I am aware Gormanston has not been used for flying operations for about ten years and all Aer Corps ops are consolidated at Baldonnel.
There was a plan to sell part of the land for use as a sandpit, don't think that happened. By coincidence I passed on the train yesterday and the grass was high.

Eirules

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:56 am

ClassicLover wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

To be quite honest, I hazard a guess that "messing up route announcements" is quite deliberate. It lets the aviation industry and the Avgeeks know what is going on before the usual press release goes out to the mainstream media. It makes people want to talk about it and try to break it before others do, creating a buzz around the announcement. I think it's terribly smart.

With regards to the "safe options" ... these are the routes that will make money. What do you want EI to do, run routes that lose cash hand over fist? It's smart business to try out so called "safe" routes. If it were that safe, PHL would have come online years ago.

eirflot wrote:

I have no issue with Aer Lingus picking routes to make them money, of course I want them to be successful. But in my opinion they have too often let another airline get their foot onto a route before they do. EWR launched this year is a perfect example, to a lesser extent LAX after ET got there first (yes I know EI flew it in the past). We now have AC launching YUL which would have been a perfect EI 752 route. What about all the untapped routes such as PIT, CLE etc which have little or no transatlantic competition or even SEA, DTW, DFW/IAD which are competitor free to Dublin? And let’s not be convinced EI picked PHL to pick up AA feed. They already fly to a number of AA hubs in ORD, JFK & LAX and have made zero attempts to cooperate, instead putting more and more emphasis on connecting at UA hubs such as EWR & SFO.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Aer Lingus are doing a decent job transatlantic in the face of constant new challengers but they need to take a calculated gamble at some point and I’d be worried that their almost 100% reliance on USA bar Toronto is leaving them over exposed to political / economic dangers

OA260

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:10 am

Eirules wrote:
I’d be worried that their almost 100% reliance on USA bar Toronto is leaving them over exposed to political / economic dangers

Well we saw that in 9/11 and that was well before all these new routes. The problem is that Ei longhaul is tied to the USA and without it there would be a totally different airline then we now know. Aer Lingus is dependant on America for survival.

On another note in breaking news the EU is taking Ireland to the ECJ for failing to claim back 13 Billion Euro in illegal state aid ( taxes ) to Apple. I wonder too how this will pan out for USA companies based in Ireland which in turn supports a number of US TATL routes especially in Prem Classes.

acentauri

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:34 am

ClassicLover wrote:

PHL was not a OW Hub years ago.

EI121

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:39 am

With Cathay, Icelandic, Air Canada and Aer Lingus is there any more routes we could see being announced? I know Hanian is still in the pipeline but doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast?

2018 will be another fantastic year for DUB!

Dardania

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:39 am

I wonder could EI pick up connecting traffic if they were to launch any routes to (the northern part of) South America or the Caribbean? It's the next possible TATL region where they could have a geographical "feasability", considering the distance flown: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=lin-dub-mex vs. http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=lin-mex

alancostello

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:48 am

Dardania wrote:
I wonder could EI pick up connecting traffic if they were to launch any routes to (the northern part of) South America or the Caribbean? It's the next possible TATL region where they could have a geographical "feasability", considering the distance flown: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=lin-dub-mex vs. http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=lin-mex

IAG use MAD as their South American hub, as AA do with Maimi, I'd be amazed if any South American routes were launched by EI, we're more likely to see EI launch China/Japan routes before they go South.

OA260

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:57 am

alancostello wrote:
Dardania wrote:

IAG use MAD as their South American hub, as AA do with Maimi, I'd be amazed if any South American routes were launched by EI, we're more likely to see EI launch China/Japan routes before they go South.

Agreed and IAG want EI to stick to USA/North America. Its what EI do best. IB do South America very well and there is no way EI could fill planes down to that region and make a profit. When you look at the structure that is in MAD for local and transit traffic MAD is the core. Sharing a huge Latin American ex pat population and speaking the same language.

As for the Caribbean leave that to TUI who just about have managed to make it work down to the likes of Mexico and even that is just a handful of flights in peak season.

BrianDromey

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:58 am

acentauri wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

PHL was not a OW Hub years ago.

And EI is not a OW member, not a member of the Transatlantic JV and has made no application to be a member of either. EI and AA have a poor relationship, there is no FFP/miles earning and EI does partner with two of AA's largest competitors, UA and B6. I don't think that AA will be rolling out the red carpet of welcome when the first shamrock lands at PHL.

EI must feel that there is enough O&D from the PHL area to DUB/EU to justify launching the route.