• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 7
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4296
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:11 am

EI121 wrote:
With Cathay, Icelandic, Air Canada and Aer Lingus is there any more routes we could see being announced? I know Hanian is still in the pipeline but doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast?

2018 will be another fantastic year for DUB!

Cathay Pacific's service will only really be viable for Northeast Asia, Australia and New Zealand - much of Southeast Asia will require too much back-tracking. As such, I think a Singapore Airlines A350 service to SIN, or a Norwegian 787 service to BKK or SIN, would fit in nicely to the overall scheme of things - both the A350 and 787 can get around DUB's short runway for Asian flights.

Norwegian would probably be more likely, as it seeks to beef up its Irish presence given its part-Irish registration, its Irish crew base, and as a dig at MOL/FR.

I also strongly believe that there is scope for another route to Northeast Asia, being either Air China or Hainan Airlines to PEK, Korean Air to ICN or Japan Airlines to NRT (all on 787 equipment). China Eastern Airlines do not have 787s or A350s yet to be able to fly to DUB, while China Southern Airlines have far bigger ports in Europe to conquer first, before they attempt DUB.

Aside from these, I also see scope in 2018 for:

- Aer Lingus or Delta to SEA (to capture tech-related traffic - think Microsoft, Amazon, Expedia etc - SEA is the fastest growing city in the USA)
- Aer Lingus or American Airlines to DFW (in line with the likely JV, and potential Oneworld membership)
- Qatar Airways to DOH (second daily, as it seeks to further grow in Europe as a defence against the GCC crisis, and take advantage of Etihad's financial woes)
- Austrian Airlines to VIE (has anyone seen how high Aer LIngus' fares are to VIE?)

Beyond this, I am hopeful for the development of:

- Air India to DEL (given the need to diversify trading markets post-Brexit)
- Norwegian to EZE (to link to their proposed hub there)
- Emirates to DXB (capacity increase to A380, once DUB is ready for this)
- Aer Lingus (seasonal) to CPT

Cheers,

C.
 
eirflot
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:13 am

Guys, this is an aviation forum and each has hie / her own opinion. I expressed my own opinion and. I am not an armchair aviation geek. My first flight was with Aer Lingus, a viscount to the Isle of Man, when I was 12. That was 47 years ago. In the last 10 years I have averaged 60 plus flights a year. The destinations I travel to require one and some times two connecting flights. I believe, in the recent past, I have been in every crappy, disgusting and weird airport in Central and Eastern Europe, the C.I.S. including all the Stans and a lot of other places So my opinion is based on experience.

I didn't understand the comparison that was made between Dublin and Zurich where it was suggested that because of low cost the operation was different. Are you suggesting that because we have low cost airlines we should expect and receive a sub standard service from our airports? Zurich is higher cost because Switzerland as a whole is higher cost and maybe that's why everything works so well? I was comparing the airports based on numbers, location, size and comparable services.

Sorry my cynical point on shopping malls was misunderstood- I don't go to aiports to shop!

Anyway as I said juts my opinion!
 
eirflot
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:53 am

Yes please Austrian to Vienna would be a great win, though Lufthansa is unlikely to agree. And an early morning departure and late evening return would be great too!! The EI fares at the moment on the route are scalding hot!!
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2449
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:29 pm

eirflot wrote:
I didn't understand the comparison that was made between Dublin and Zurich where it was suggested that because of low cost the operation was different. Are you suggesting that because we have low cost airlines we should expect and receive a sub standard service from our airports? Zurich is higher cost because Switzerland as a whole is higher cost and maybe that's why everything works so well? I was comparing the airports based on numbers, location, size and comparable services.
Anyway as I said juts my opinion!


I think the point being made is that most of the airlines at DUB insist on a low charges regimen to launch new routes, the Irish market is also relatively time insensitive and price sensitive, so low fares drive traffic and competition is intense. Low fares can only work on a low cost base, so the daa does not have much room to put their charges up. Look at whats happened to ground handling, for example. Once that was a very profitable area for airlines, now theres only one significant player left. Airlines just won't tolerate charges that are any more than the bare minimum - even if capital expenditure has to be postponed.
 
eirflot
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:56 pm

BrianDromey - I take your point. I just don't believe the DAA are on the same wavelength.
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2449
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:08 pm

eirflot wrote:
BrianDromey - I take your point. I just don't believe the DAA are on the same wavelength.


Ireland has a long history of poor infrastructure investment - which has been exacerbated by our withdrawal from many EU development funds coinciding with the economic downturn. So its partly attitude, partly funding. In comparison the Swiss pay much more tax, expect much higher standards but accept that investment in capital projects is beneficial. Of course short memories and hypocrisy are as prevalent as ever in Irish lives! T2 is a good example.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fin ... 06446.html

T2 was derided in national press and on certain radio shows (we all know which!) as a waste, a white elephant, the cause of FR basing aircraft elsewhere in Europe, the death knell to Irish tourism, all the rest of it. Its all the fault of the DAA Now its bursting at the seams and there is 'only' one runway, which is also the daa's fault. Now, its arguable that T2 was built in the wrong location (I certainly believe so) and cost too much (maybe), but the alternatives, in particular the private option, were probably not deliverable or practical. So the daa have a tough role - which will always upset one vocal group, or another.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23588
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:40 pm

We are letting you decide our next flight route! Take part in the vote and choose your favourite travel destination. On our shortlist are 10 European destinations that are introduced in the videos below.

Vote for your favourite destination

The most-voted destination will be part of our 2018 summer schedule
Win one of 50 flights for 2 to our new destination

Both BFS and SNN are options to choose.

http://www.vote-and-fly.com
 
Skyblue39
Posts: 372
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:44 pm

During today’s formal announcement of the Dublin - Philadelphia route, Aer Lingus COO, Mike Rutter said that Aer Lingus will announce yet another transatlantic route “in due course”.
 
EI121
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:14 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:51 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
During today’s formal announcement of the Dublin - Philadelphia route, Aer Lingus COO, Mike Rutter said that Aer Lingus will announce yet another transatlantic route “in due course”.


Is the whole event presentation available online anywhere?
 
Skyblue39
Posts: 372
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:02 pm

EI121 wrote:
Skyblue39 wrote:
During today’s formal announcement of the Dublin - Philadelphia route, Aer Lingus COO, Mike Rutter said that Aer Lingus will announce yet another transatlantic route “in due course”.


Is the whole event presentation available online anywhere?


Have a look here for some content. Coincidentally their pop up stand is a nod to this thread title! ;-)

http://www.travelextra.ie/philadelphia- ... ce-dublin/
 
EI121
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:14 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:19 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
EI121 wrote:
Skyblue39 wrote:
During today’s formal announcement of the Dublin - Philadelphia route, Aer Lingus COO, Mike Rutter said that Aer Lingus will announce yet another transatlantic route “in due course”.


Is the whole event presentation available online anywhere?


Have a look here for some content. Coincidentally their pop up stand is a nod to this thread title! ;-)

http://www.travelextra.ie/philadelphia- ... ce-dublin/


Thanks for this!

Interesting that he mentions there will be another route announcement in the next few weeks.

Any idea where this would be? I would imagine this route is dependant on another B757/A330 joining the fleet?

EI121
 
Skyblue39
Posts: 372
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:31 pm

EI121 wrote:
Skyblue39 wrote:
EI121 wrote:

Is the whole event presentation available online anywhere?


Have a look here for some content. Coincidentally their pop up stand is a nod to this thread title! ;-)

http://www.travelextra.ie/philadelphia- ... ce-dublin/


Thanks for this!

Interesting that he mentions there will be another route announcement in the next few weeks.

Any idea where this would be? I would imagine this route is dependant on another B757/A330 joining the fleet?

EI121


Unsure if the EI fascination with the NE will continue:
Boston
Hartford
JFK
Newark
Washington
Philly
...
I hope they could make a bold move and enter Dallas. Interestingly Mike Rutter says that EI want to better work with AA... so perhaps going into fortress AA at DFW could be an option, plus Texas is now a glaring omission in the US network.
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2085
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:20 pm

UA will discontinue the daily seasonal ORD-SNN route in 2018 after 5 years of operation. Hugely disappointing for me on a personal level, I've used this service quite a bit and SNN-ORD is my most-flown route. I hope it will return again in the not too distant future; possible contenders are EI and AA.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/ ... rport.html
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23588
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:37 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
UA will discontinue the daily seasonal ORD-SNN route in 2018 after 5 years of operation. Hugely disappointing for me on a personal level, I've used this service quite a bit and SNN-ORD is my most-flown route. I hope it will return again in the not too distant future; possible contenders are EI and AA.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/ ... rport.html


Certainly a blow maybe AA will indeed be interested in a seasonal service in future.
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2085
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:06 pm

OA260 wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
UA will discontinue the daily seasonal ORD-SNN route in 2018 after 5 years of operation. Hugely disappointing for me on a personal level, I've used this service quite a bit and SNN-ORD is my most-flown route. I hope it will return again in the not too distant future; possible contenders are EI and AA.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/ ... rport.html


Certainly a blow maybe AA will indeed be interested in a seasonal service in future.

Yes I think AA would be the most likely contender to take it over. They're extending their season for PHL-SNN even further in 2018.
 
cc47
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:02 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:37 pm

I think DFW will be the next EI US route. There's a huge Irish diaspora in Texas
 
ei 168
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2001 3:00 am

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:43 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
EI121 wrote:
With Cathay, Icelandic, Air Canada and Aer Lingus is there any more routes we could see being announced? I know Hanian is still in the pipeline but doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast?

2018 will be another fantastic year for DUB!

Cathay Pacific's service will only really be viable for Northeast Asia, Australia and New Zealand - much of Southeast Asia will require too much back-tracking. As such, I think a Singapore Airlines A350 service to SIN, or a Norwegian 787 service to BKK or SIN, would fit in nicely to the overall scheme of things - both the A350 and 787 can get around DUB's short runway for Asian flights.

Norwegian would probably be more likely, as it seeks to beef up its Irish presence given its part-Irish registration, its Irish crew base, and as a dig at MOL/FR.


I wouldn't rule out SQ as they followed Cathay into Dusseldorf. And with more A350's, I could see Dublin as a future route down the line. Although you might see more Scoot routes being flown to secondary European cities as well, which Dublin could be earmarked for.
 
cc47
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:02 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:43 pm

Also, the first Air Arabia from Agadir, an A320 - CN-NMM - just landed in Dublin
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23588
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:46 pm

Seems a few former Monarch aircraft were ferried to SNN today before being returned to their owners.
 
bennett123
Posts: 8947
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:56 pm

OA260

Do you have details.
 
uconn99
Posts: 371
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 pm

I found the lounge in the US pre-clearance terminal at DUB nice, nothing fancy but decent food, clean facilities, and the fact that the lounge is located on the ground level gives great views.

I made it from check in past security and pre-clearance to the lounge in under 30 minutes. DUB has come a long way from the last time I was there in 2002.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23588
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:00 pm

bennett123 wrote:
OA260

Do you have details.


I have been following them on Flight Radar.

G-OZBI is heading across now but not sure if its into SNN or DUB. One earlier went to SNN and one to DUB.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23588
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:37 pm

G-OZBI landing in SNN now and G-OZBF heading over.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4296
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:42 pm

ei 168 wrote:
I wouldn't rule out SQ as they followed Cathay into Dusseldorf. And with more A350's, I could see Dublin as a future route down the line. Although you might see more Scoot routes being flown to secondary European cities as well, which Dublin could be earmarked for.

I completely agree re SQ - they have to put those A350s somewhere, and DUB - SIN would share many of the same attributes that DUB - HKG does (traffic from VFR, connections, finance, aircraft leasing, technology, etc).

I do not see TZ venturing deeper into Europe past ATH though, except perhaps to Italy and Spain, where there is holiday traffic. Likewise, I do not see JQ or D7 opening DUB - too far, and does not fit within their strategy.

What would be interesting, would be if IAG decide to deploy their 'Level' brand in DUB - think seasonal services to BKK, CPT, CMB, GOI or PUJ.

Cheers,

C.
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2449
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:02 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
I do not see TZ venturing deeper into Europe past ATH though, except perhaps to Italy and Spain, where there is holiday traffic. Likewise, I do not see JQ or D7 opening DUB - too far, and does not fit within their strategy.

What would be interesting, would be if IAG decide to deploy their 'Level' brand in DUB - think seasonal services to BKK, CPT, CMB, GOI or PUJ.
Cheers,
C.


I think SIN would be the most likely route for EI to Asia. Great onward connections to SYD with BA and QF to the rest of Australia. KUL is, apparently, a strong destination from DUB, so I’d defiantly imagine one of those will be an early EI A350 destination. If they ever arrive
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1879
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:14 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
OA260 wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
UA will discontinue the daily seasonal ORD-SNN route in 2018 after 5 years of operation. Hugely disappointing for me on a personal level, I've used this service quite a bit and SNN-ORD is my most-flown route. I hope it will return again in the not too distant future; possible contenders are EI and AA.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/ ... rport.html


Certainly a blow maybe AA will indeed be interested in a seasonal service in future.

Yes I think AA would be the most likely contender to take it over. They're extending their season for PHL-SNN even further in 2018.


Don't think AA will, ORD-TATL is now all B777 or B787. Now AA putting the older B763 out of PHL is more likely IMO and longer season showing they are making money outside the core peak which is good.

eirflot wrote:
Guys, this is an aviation forum and each has hie / her own opinion. I expressed my own opinion and. I am not an armchair aviation geek. My first flight was with Aer Lingus, a viscount to the Isle of Man, when I was 12. That was 47 years ago. In the last 10 years I have averaged 60 plus flights a year. The destinations I travel to require one and some times two connecting flights. I believe, in the recent past, I have been in every crappy, disgusting and weird airport in Central and Eastern Europe, the C.I.S. including all the Stans and a lot of other places So my opinion is based on experience.

I didn't understand the comparison that was made between Dublin and Zurich where it was suggested that because of low cost the operation was different. Are you suggesting that because we have low cost airlines we should expect and receive a sub standard service from our airports? Zurich is higher cost because Switzerland as a whole is higher cost and maybe that's why everything works so well? I was comparing the airports based on numbers, location, size and comparable services.

Sorry my cynical point on shopping malls was misunderstood- I don't go to aiports to shop!

Anyway as I said juts my opinion!


I think Brian sums it up pretty well. ZUR is more expensive economy but also airport wise it's more pricey than a lot of European ones.

There is just way to much pressure on charges at DUB to compare like with like. Now the daa can always improve on various things (lounges especially) but personally the airport experience is pretty good. Most people need to bear in mind our views wouldn't be widely reflected by the general public simply because most only care about getting from a to b without breaking the bank.

I cleared T1 security in 4 minuets at 06.00 this morning, I don't think you would get that in many European airports.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4296
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:37 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
I think SIN would be the most likely route for EI to Asia. Great onward connections to SYD with BA and QF to the rest of Australia. KUL is, apparently, a strong destination from DUB, so I’d defiantly imagine one of those will be an early EI A350 destination. If they ever arrive

Many people have suggested on here that EI will never fly to East Asia, because IAG will dedicate EI to North America only.

Look at IB though - I thought IB was only 'dedicated' by IAG to Latin America, but it has now opened new destinations like NRT and PVG.

Indeed, AF-KL are moving to serving the same ports in East Asia too (think AF's new service to TPE), as are LH-OS-LX (think OS' new service to HKG).

Where the domestic brand recognition is strong enough to better exploit a non-stop opportunity, IAG should follow through with this.

IMHO, I do not think that it is clear where EI would serve in East Asia:
- HKG was the obvious choice, being a Oneworld hub, and offering more Oneworld one-stop connections (think AKL and CHC) - CX has it now though
- SIN is a Star Alliance hub, with more limited Oneworld connections (i.e. nothing to New Zealand) - it is also further than HKG (would there be performance issues?)
- PEK is close to DUB, and would tap into Chinese tourism, as well as Irish exporters sending products to China - but, would the Chinese be more likely to fly on Chinese airlines?
- NRT would connect to JL (NRT being a Oneworld hub), but the Japanese market is not as strong as the Chinese one - is it worth EI's time?

Cheers,

C.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23588
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:04 am

Aer Lingus enjoys big bookings boost after Ryanair flights fiasco

Aer Lingus has seen a significant increase in short-haul bookings since Ryanair announced thousands of flight cancellations.

Aer Lingus is also currently looking at recruiting pilots from Monarch Airlines, which ceased trading earlier this week.

"I can absolutely confirm that since the issues that Ryanair have had, that our short-haul sales have benefitted substantially," said Aer Lingus chief operating officer Mike Rutter.

"Our short-haul routes into the UK, into the European leisure destinations, and to the European cities, have seen a significant increase in sales," he added.

Aer Lingus held an open day in Manchester this week and about 50 pilots from Monarch turned up following that airline's collapse.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ae ... 98675.html

—-

Aer Lingus eyes T2 buy as relations with DAA sour over infrastructure

Relations between Aer Lingus and airport operator DAA have "soured immensely" as a result of differences over infrastructure development at Dublin Airport, according to the airline's chief operating officer, Mike Rutter.

"It would be fair to say that relationships with Dublin Airport have soured immensely in the last 12 months, when it became apparent that the ambition that we have, and that its major shareholder has, to prosecute an agenda of growth at Dublin has not yet been matched," said Mr Rutter.

He also refused to rule out the possibility that Aer Lingus would be interested in buying T2 at Dublin Airport if the terminal was ever put up for sale by the DAA, the semi-State body which controls Dublin and Cork airports. The DAA is highly unlikely to do so, however.

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 97509.html
 
Ticketyboo
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:04 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:15 am

Flew to Tokyo this week with our friends EK, sadly EK lack a lounge for First & Business and so use the T2 DAA Lounge - good grief! So I took the plunge and arranged the Platinum Services product, both my travelling companion and I were not disappointed, although spendy it was well worth it for the long haul ahead of us.
We enjoyed a warm and professional welcome from the team, a very comfortable lounge experience where nothing was too much trouble. We were driven to the airbridge and first aboard having breezed through the private security check. If the return experience is in any way similar then I shall certainly be using again.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4296
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:29 am

Ticketyboo wrote:
Flew to Tokyo this week with our friends EK, sadly EK lack a lounge for First & Business and so use the T2 DAA Lounge - good grief! So I took the plunge and arranged the Platinum Services product, both my travelling companion and I were not disappointed, although spendy it was well worth it for the long haul ahead of us.
We enjoyed a warm and professional welcome from the team, a very comfortable lounge experience where nothing was too much trouble. We were driven to the airbridge and first aboard having breezed through the private security check. If the return experience is in any way similar then I shall certainly be using again.

Out of curiosity, what made you pick EK to fly to NRT?

That is quite the detour - some 5 hours or so longer than a flight via HEL, on AY.

Even via the Middle East, I thought that EY and QR had superior premium class offerings?

Cheers,

C.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23588
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:36 am

In Mike Rutters presentation he said Aer Lingus were looking at a base/flights outside of Ireland to set up routes from USA- Mainland Europe. I wonder which city pairs would be a good fit for them. Of course many will remember the MAD-IAD but that was axed. Although slightly different in terms of the JV with UA.
 
Dardania
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:44 am

OA260 wrote:
In Mike Rutters presentation he said Aer Lingus were looking at a base/flights outside of Ireland to set up routes from USA- Mainland Europe. I wonder which city pairs would be a good fit for them. Of course many will remember the MAD-IAD but that was axed. Although slightly different in terms of the JV with UA.


Close to where many of their connecting flights originate from? Maybe Italy?
 
User avatar
hispanola
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:13 am

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:52 am

OA260 wrote:
In Mike Rutters presentation he said Aer Lingus were looking at a base/flights outside of Ireland to set up routes from USA- Mainland Europe. I wonder which city pairs would be a good fit for them. Of course many will remember the MAD-IAD but that was axed. Although slightly different in terms of the JV with UA.


Let's hope this is all just a dream of his. Such a move would be incoherent with the Aer Lingus brand. EI should definitely expand beyond DUB, but they should focus on ORK, SNN, and BHD if it can be done.
✈️
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4296
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:57 am

hispanola wrote:
OA260 wrote:
In Mike Rutters presentation he said Aer Lingus were looking at a base/flights outside of Ireland to set up routes from USA- Mainland Europe. I wonder which city pairs would be a good fit for them. Of course many will remember the MAD-IAD but that was axed. Although slightly different in terms of the JV with UA.


Let's hope this is all just a dream of his. Such a move would be incoherent with the Aer Lingus brand. EI should definitely expand beyond DUB, but they should focus on ORK, SNN, and BHD if it can be done.

Agreed.

If they do go long-haul from Europe again though, perhaps Germany this time, to take advantage of the Air Berlin situation?

It won't be Spain as it was before, as IAG now have that covered with Iberia and Level.

Cheers,

C.
 
Eirules
Posts: 1870
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:04 am

Oh not another I’ll fated LGW experiment!! I agree, EI are an Irish brand and though recognized in their current markets, I think their focus should be on Ireland (including NI). Sure even AF gave up on LHR-LAX after less than a year.

I wonder could we see EI replace UA on SNN-ORD? We’ve been told of another new flight for next summer and they could shuffle the 752 to achieve it on the days PHL doesn’t operate?
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....
 
User avatar
alancostello
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:13 am

Eirules wrote:
Oh not another I’ll fated LGW experiment!! I agree, EI are an Irish brand and though recognized in their current markets, I think their focus should be on Ireland (including NI). Sure even AF gave up on LHR-LAX after less than a year.

I wonder could we see EI replace UA on SNN-ORD? We’ve been told of another new flight for next summer and they could shuffle the 752 to achieve it on the days PHL doesn’t operate?


By my understanding IAD is only a330 on four days of the week, with the 752 still on the other three, so there's three a330 rotations free, not three 752
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2449
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:24 am

alancostello wrote:
Eirules wrote:
Oh not another I’ll fated LGW experiment!! I agree, EI are an Irish brand and though recognized in their current markets, I think their focus should be on Ireland (including NI). Sure even AF gave up on LHR-LAX after less than a year.

I wonder could we see EI replace UA on SNN-ORD? We’ve been told of another new flight for next summer and they could shuffle the 752 to achieve it on the days PHL doesn’t operate?


By my understanding IAD is only a330 on four days of the week, with the 752 still on the other three, so there's three a330 rotations free, not three 752


Yep, thats how its timetabled at present. Apparently there are talks of another A330 joining the fleet in 2018, so we'll see. I imagine IAGs current slots will be assigned to LEVEL to continue the fight with Norwegian.

Speaking of Norwegian, do they have a Chicago area airport? The might be more likely to serve SNN-ORD than EI, assuming the MAX-8 has the range.
 
User avatar
alancostello
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:47 am

BrianDromey wrote:
alancostello wrote:
Eirules wrote:
Oh not another I’ll fated LGW experiment!! I agree, EI are an Irish brand and though recognized in their current markets, I think their focus should be on Ireland (including NI). Sure even AF gave up on LHR-LAX after less than a year.

I wonder could we see EI replace UA on SNN-ORD? We’ve been told of another new flight for next summer and they could shuffle the 752 to achieve it on the days PHL doesn’t operate?


By my understanding IAD is only a330 on four days of the week, with the 752 still on the other three, so there's three a330 rotations free, not three 752


Yep, thats how its timetabled at present. Apparently there are talks of another A330 joining the fleet in 2018, so we'll see. I imagine IAGs current slots will be assigned to LEVEL to continue the fight with Norwegian.

Speaking of Norwegian, do they have a Chicago area airport? The might be more likely to serve SNN-ORD than EI, assuming the MAX-8 has the range.


LEVEL is taking -200s currently, two more are on order for Iberia and will probably be diverted to them again as Iberia will start taking A350s instead, and IAG has an additional 3 -200s on order again for LEVEL, there are no outstanding -300 orders across the group, though that's not to say they wouldn't be able to get a convenient delivery date next year if they wanted.
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2085
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:08 am

BrianDromey wrote:
alancostello wrote:
Eirules wrote:
Oh not another I’ll fated LGW experiment!! I agree, EI are an Irish brand and though recognized in their current markets, I think their focus should be on Ireland (including NI). Sure even AF gave up on LHR-LAX after less than a year.

I wonder could we see EI replace UA on SNN-ORD? We’ve been told of another new flight for next summer and they could shuffle the 752 to achieve it on the days PHL doesn’t operate?


By my understanding IAD is only a330 on four days of the week, with the 752 still on the other three, so there's three a330 rotations free, not three 752


Yep, thats how its timetabled at present. Apparently there are talks of another A330 joining the fleet in 2018, so we'll see. I imagine IAGs current slots will be assigned to LEVEL to continue the fight with Norwegian.

Speaking of Norwegian, do they have a Chicago area airport? The might be more likely to serve SNN-ORD than EI, assuming the MAX-8 has the range.

Yes, DU is launching LGW-ORD in 2018. SNN-ORD is about 200nm longer than D8's longest MAX route (Bergen-Providence), however, the D8 model seems to favour lower cost airports so I'm not sure if this would be a likely runner.
 
BestWestern
Posts: 8328
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:20 am

http://www.vote-and-fly.com

Vote for Shannon. The airport with the highest vote gets a new Eurowings route.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23588
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:23 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:
alancostello wrote:

By my understanding IAD is only a330 on four days of the week, with the 752 still on the other three, so there's three a330 rotations free, not three 752


Yep, thats how its timetabled at present. Apparently there are talks of another A330 joining the fleet in 2018, so we'll see. I imagine IAGs current slots will be assigned to LEVEL to continue the fight with Norwegian.

Speaking of Norwegian, do they have a Chicago area airport? The might be more likely to serve SNN-ORD than EI, assuming the MAX-8 has the range.

Yes, DU is launching LGW-ORD in 2018. SNN-ORD is about 200nm longer than D8's longest MAX route (Bergen-Providence), however, the D8 model seems to favour lower cost airports so I'm not sure if this would be a likely runner.


I was wondering if they might be a good candidate for SNN-ORD and given that they are going to expand their Irish portfolio in the near future they may consider it. It might just be the kind of product that is suited for this route.
 
User avatar
alancostello
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:39 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:
alancostello wrote:

By my understanding IAD is only a330 on four days of the week, with the 752 still on the other three, so there's three a330 rotations free, not three 752


Yep, thats how its timetabled at present. Apparently there are talks of another A330 joining the fleet in 2018, so we'll see. I imagine IAGs current slots will be assigned to LEVEL to continue the fight with Norwegian.

Speaking of Norwegian, do they have a Chicago area airport? The might be more likely to serve SNN-ORD than EI, assuming the MAX-8 has the range.

Yes, DU is launching LGW-ORD in 2018. SNN-ORD is about 200nm longer than D8's longest MAX route (Bergen-Providence), however, the D8 model seems to favour lower cost airports so I'm not sure if this would be a likely runner.


Chicago Midway could be an option? It's a big Southwest hub so I'd imagine costs are much lower than O'Hare.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23588
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:09 pm

Ryanair cabin crew 'plotting mass strike and desertion to easyJet'

Ryanair cabin crew are planning to walk out on the airline over working conditions before absconding to a rival, one of the embattled carrier’s flight attendants has claimed.

Contacting Telegraph Travel under condition of anonymity, the member of staff, who has been working for the airline for three years, said: “It is written in our contracts that we are not allowed to be in unions, but colleagues from my base and not only [mine], are planning a strike before moving to Norwegian and easyJet.

“Imagine that the five aircraft of our base will not depart on one day. And we are talking only about five aircraft in my base. It will be a mess.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/ ... n-easyjet/
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2449
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:53 pm

alancostello wrote:
Chicago Midway could be an option? It's a big Southwest hub so I'd imagine costs are much lower than O'Hare.


Its an "out there" option. DY et al don't serve MDW as yet, I think slots are hard to come by, but the airport doesn't seem to have perimeter rules. Passengers could pre-clear at SNN, so the limited CBP facilities shouldn't be a problem. I can't recall, but I think the runways are relatively short at MDW and SNN-CHI would really be pushing the MAX-8 right to the very end of its range, SNN-ORD is 3591, the range of the MAX-8 is 3,515. Seems a no-go, to answer my own question.

This post reminds me of the early EI A330s. They could barely make ORD in certain circumstances and one of the reasons, it was said, that PTVs were never fitted. Its hard to image that there are narrow bodies today with similar capabilities to the initial A333s. I can't help but wonder how the TA market will look in 10 years if another 500-1000nm miles of range can be engineered into the MAX/MoM/NEO.
 
User avatar
alancostello
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:02 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
alancostello wrote:
Chicago Midway could be an option? It's a big Southwest hub so I'd imagine costs are much lower than O'Hare.


Its an "out there" option. DY et al don't serve MDW as yet, I think slots are hard to come by, but the airport doesn't seem to have perimeter rules. Passengers could pre-clear at SNN, so the limited CBP facilities shouldn't be a problem. I can't recall, but I think the runways are relatively short at MDW and SNN-CHI would really be pushing the MAX-8 right to the very end of its range, SNN-ORD is 3591, the range of the MAX-8 is 3,515. Seems a no-go, to answer my own question.

This post reminds me of the early EI A330s. They could barely make ORD in certain circumstances and one of the reasons, it was said, that PTVs were never fitted. Its hard to image that there are narrow bodies today with similar capabilities to the initial A333s. I can't help but wonder how the TA market will look in 10 years if another 500-1000nm miles of range can be engineered into the MAX/MoM/NEO.


Well Norwegian also have the a321lr on order, with a 4,000 nm range, which would be able to hit MDW or ORD. Wild speculation of course, but an interesting possibility all the same.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23588
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:13 pm

BA reducing BHD-LHR for Summer 2018 from 38 to 31 per week according to BA.COM
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2085
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:49 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
alancostello wrote:
Chicago Midway could be an option? It's a big Southwest hub so I'd imagine costs are much lower than O'Hare.


Its an "out there" option. DY et al don't serve MDW as yet, I think slots are hard to come by, but the airport doesn't seem to have perimeter rules. Passengers could pre-clear at SNN, so the limited CBP facilities shouldn't be a problem. I can't recall, but I think the runways are relatively short at MDW and SNN-CHI would really be pushing the MAX-8 right to the very end of its range, SNN-ORD is 3591, the range of the MAX-8 is 3,515. Seems a no-go, to answer my own question.

This post reminds me of the early EI A330s. They could barely make ORD in certain circumstances and one of the reasons, it was said, that PTVs were never fitted. Its hard to image that there are narrow bodies today with similar capabilities to the initial A333s. I can't help but wonder how the TA market will look in 10 years if another 500-1000nm miles of range can be engineered into the MAX/MoM/NEO.

Unfortunately SNN-MDW would be unfeasible due to the runway length at MDW (the longest runway there is 1,988m). MDW does have a CBP facility and receives scheduled flights from Mexico and Toronto/Billy Bishop-City which does not have preclearance.

The 38M has a range of 3,515nm and SNN-ORD is 3,120nm (I think you were seeing statute miles as opposed to nautical miles on the GC map) so maybe?

Also, it has emerged that UA is blaming "poor financial performance" for the route closure. Because they were expanding the service in the last few years (increases in frequency, seasonality) it may have only been performing poorly this season.
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 9707
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:34 pm

I wonder if EI talk about routes from other EU countries to the US is part of EI's ongoing (and intensifying) battle with the DAA ... a little message to say that DUB is not integral or essential to EI's growth plans.

(Of course, the danger here is that the DAA could go out and reel in some new carriers with 5th freedom rights. That would seriously p**s EI off!

------------------------
This plan will certainly make uncomfortable reading for FR. The word "schadenfreude" comes to mind ... but I wonder if there may be legal consequences for U2/DY if they were found to be part of a co-ordinated plan to nobble FR? If this plan went ahead, would these crews just walk from one airline to another? Would this mean that DY and U2 would enter the Irish market.

Very interesting development, this - and any attempt by FR to strong arm, bully or otherwise intimidate their crews would only exacerbate or accelerate the process. It's like one of those knots that gets tighter the more you struggle!
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1879
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:41 pm

kaitak wrote:
I wonder if EI talk about routes from other EU countries to the US is part of EI's ongoing (and intensifying) battle with the DAA ... a little message to say that DUB is not integral or essential to EI's growth plans.

(Of course, the danger here is that the DAA could go out and reel in some new carriers with 5th freedom rights. That would seriously p**s EI off!

------------------------
This plan will certainly make uncomfortable reading for FR. The word "schadenfreude" comes to mind ... but I wonder if there may be legal consequences for U2/DY if they were found to be part of a co-ordinated plan to nobble FR? If this plan went ahead, would these crews just walk from one airline to another? Would this mean that DY and U2 would enter the Irish market.

Very interesting development, this - and any attempt by FR to strong arm, bully or otherwise intimidate their crews would only exacerbate or accelerate the process. It's like one of those knots that gets tighter the more you struggle!


My first thoughts when I heard the daa comments. I personally could see prehaps some routes working but in reality its hard to see it happening when you have Level for IAG.

Norwegian operating in T2 has resulted in EI become more vocal and the media picking it up.

There are issues at DUB but you also have Aer Lingus using DUB as an "excuse" for some of their basic failings.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23588
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:44 pm

kaitak wrote:

(Of course, the danger here is that the DAA could go out and reel in some new carriers with 5th freedom rights. That would seriously p**s EI off!



ET has been trying to without success it seems. I think the DAA know that EI is a better bet in the long term.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 7

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos