ClassicLover

Re: Irish 10/17: Philadelphia here we come (again!) ...

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:17 pm

tonystan wrote:
As for the CTA arrivals, there is no passport check (not at T5 anyways) when transiting but as you are arriving from a foreign country you are very much still required to clear security to meet UK standards and I would be concerned if this ever changed, not that I think security at ROI airports in inferior in any way.

Since Ireland and the UK both wish there to be no border and to keep the Common Travel Area, I would argue this. Why aren't security standards at ports and airports harmonised so that they are the same? It makes sense in this instance.

There are already steps towards harmonising immigration for both countries (which started before Brexit) so you would assume that this will also need to be completely harmonised in order to ensure the border issue is a non-issue.

You can't have the Republic doing one thing and the UK another in this instance. I think the relevant authorities on both sides should suck it up and work out the differences and get it sorted.

(and so I can enter T5 as a domestic passenger and not have to reclear security :) )
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

JAmie2k9

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:19 am

Aer Lingus to axe Dublin to Warsaw in January while Cork to Munich is also getting the chop for extra bucket and spade out of Cork next summer. I'm sure defending against FR new MUC route at DUB played a role as well. It's a very long established route out of Cork. DUS now the only now hub/bucket and spade route left.

shamrock350

Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:00 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Aer Lingus to axe Dublin to Warsaw in January while Cork to Munich is also getting the chop for extra bucket and spade out of Cork next summer. I'm sure defending against FR new MUC route at DUB played a role as well. It's a very long established route out of Cork. DUS now the only now hub/bucket and spade route left.

The cancellation of Warsaw was discussed earlier in the thread but Cork losing Munich is a new one, that won't go down well in the region and is yet another blow to the short haul network.

Surprised DUS has survived but at this rate it's only a matter of time...

OA260

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:23 am

ClassicLover wrote:
tonystan wrote:
As for the CTA arrivals, there is no passport check (not at T5 anyways) when transiting but as you are arriving from a foreign country you are very much still required to clear security to meet UK standards and I would be concerned if this ever changed, not that I think security at ROI airports in inferior in any way.

Since Ireland and the UK both wish there to be no border and to keep the Common Travel Area, I would argue this. Why aren't security standards at ports and airports harmonised so that they are the same? It makes sense in this instance.

There are already steps towards harmonising immigration for both countries (which started before Brexit) so you would assume that this will also need to be completely harmonised in order to ensure the border issue is a non-issue.

You can't have the Republic doing one thing and the UK another in this instance. I think the relevant authorities on both sides should suck it up and work out the differences and get it sorted.

(and so I can enter T5 as a domestic passenger and not have to reclear security :) )

To be honest the CTA should be scrapped. When you arrive back into DUB you go through passport control like every other arrival. Only UK Airports have special lanes/buses. It would be quicker to just go the normal route. Arriving at LGW for example you get off the jet bridge then down steps to a bus. Whats the point !

pompos

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:30 am

OA260 wrote:

To be honest the CTA should be scrapped. When you arrive back into DUB you go through passport control like every other arrival. Only UK Airports have special lanes/buses. It would be quicker to just go the normal route. Arriving at LGW for example you get off the jet bridge then down steps to a bus. Whats the point !

Not having to wait in passport control queues. I wish Ireland and UK became part of Schengen. Huge amounts of life time of people would be saved.

BestWestern

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:44 am

UK part of schengen? Chance of that happening is zero.zero
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

OA260

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:46 am

pompos wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Not having to wait in passport control queues. I wish Ireland and UK became part of Schengen. Huge amounts of life time of people would be saved.

Ireland seem to not want to join Schengen. Even over the last few weeks there have been stepped up immigration and customs checkpoints on the ROI/UK border. Illegal immigration,fuel smuggling and counter terrorism have somewhat watered down CTA let alone Schengen.

JAmie2k9

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:27 am

shamrock350 wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

The cancellation of Warsaw was discussed earlier in the thread but Cork losing Munich is a new one, that won't go down well in the region and is yet another blow to the short haul network.

Yeah I would of expected DUS to go first however it been a short sector and likely still on incentives for this year could be why it's staying. Saying that EI have cut MUC capacity over recent years in both summer and winter.

Eirules

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:02 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

Yeah I would of expected DUS to go first however it been a short sector and likely still on incentives for this year could be why it's staying. Saying that EI have cut MUC capacity over recent years in both summer and winter.

ORK to MUC might be better suited to LH. At least they have transfer feed at one end which EI don’t and perhaps a more suitable aircraft
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

OA260

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:15 am

Price difference between Aer Lingus flights from Cork and Dublin raised in The Seanad

AER Lingus has been asked to explain “unfair pricing levels” that have resulted in flights from Cork being up to five times higher than Dublin.

The Senate has been told that flights from Cork to European destinations are often substantially more expensive than the same flights from Dublin.

Fine Gael Senator Colm Burke raised the subject in the Senate, citing a number of examples, including a major price difference between flights from Cork and Dublin to Munich early next year.

At the time of writing, a return trip from Dublin to Munich, flying out on February 3 and back on February 10, costs €173. The same journey, except flying out of and into Cork, is priced at €939.

Senator Burke said: “I wish to raise the issue of our policy on trying to assist the airports outside of Dublin and trying to increase traffic flow in and out of those airports, whether it be Shannon, Cork or Knock,” he said.

“A problem has arisen that has been brought to my attention by a number of people. I refer to the prices Aer Lingus is charging people flying out of Cork.” “We already have congestion in Dublin Airport, why does a flight to Munich cost so much from Cork?” Mr Burke asked.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Pric ... faf1e9d-ds

HTCone

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:57 am

The DAA own something like 20% of DUS, so charges may be favourable

OA260

Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:08 pm

Operating profit at Aer Lingus owner IAG up 20%
Airline group’s chief executive Willie Walsh welcomes ‘another strong quarter’

Operating profit at Aer Lingus owner IAG rose more than 20 per cent to € 1.5 billion before exceptional items for the nine months to September 30th, 2017, up from items € 1.2 billion during the same period last year.

The company’s results note Aer Lingus continued its expansion across the North Atlantic with the full impact of new routes launched last year to Los Angeles, Newark and Hartford and the launch of services to Miami last month.

The average number of employees at AIG was up marginally while productivity increased 2.2 per cent with improvements at British Airways, Iberia and Aer Lingus.

Non-fuel unit costs before exceptional items for the quarter were down 1.7 per cent, but up 2.5 per cent on a constant currency basis.

Fuel unit costs before exceptional items for the quarter were down 7.5 per cent, but down 8.4 per cent at constant currency.

Operating profit before exceptional items for the period was € 2.43 billion, which was up 26.9 per cent from the € 1.9 billion last year.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tra ... -1.3271139

---

Stobart eyes spin-off of Dublin-based aviation unit in group reshuffle plan

UK transport and energy group Stobart is understood to be considering hiving off its Dublin-based Stobart Aviation unit as a separate entity - just months after bringing it into the group fold.

Stock-market-listed Stobart indicated last week that it was assessing possible new structures for its aviation arm that would allow the unit to secure investment in order to pursue consolidation opportunities.

Stobart Air operates the Aer Lingus Regional service on a franchise basis, and also has a franchise agreement with UK regional carrier Flybe to operate routes including a new service between Dublin and London Southend Airport that starts next weekend.

Warwick Brady, Stobart Group CEO, told the Irish Independent last week that Stobart did not want to "miss out" on consolidation opportunities if they arose, but declined to say what the new structure might be.

Stobart Group owned 45pc of Stobart Air before it wholly acquired it. Invesco Perpetual owned 40pc and broker Cenkos held 10pc. Former Aer Arann chairman Pádraig Ó Céidigh owned 5pc. Invesco owns 27pc of Stobart Group.

https://www.independent.ie/business/iri ... 62670.html

---

Flybe’s Dublin-Southend flights take off at weekend

Stobart Air to operate route on airline’s behalf

Regional airline Flybe launches its Dublin-to-London Southend service at the weekend.

Flybe announced several weeks ago that it planned to begin flying from the capital to Southend, located 40 miles outside London in Essex.

Stobart Air, which also operates the Aer Lingus Regional services between Ireland and Britain, will fly the route on the airline’s behalf.

The flights start on October 29th and will take off three times a day. There are some seats available at €24.99 and €29.99, there are many seats at €19.00 one way. *

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tra ... -1.3266185

Skyblue39

Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:57 pm

Flew DUB - BUD on EI this morning. Have to say ground staff are so rude and abrupt at Dublin. My God... never have I had such a bad taste from Aer Lingus until this morning..... departed from gate 407 where we walked to aircraft. Our aircraft wasn’t attached to the air bridge, it was parked directly behind an a/c already on the air bridge. Strange setup... doubling up on stand occupation for those early morning departures (we left at 5:55am).

dergay

Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:27 am

Skyblue39 wrote:
Flew DUB - BUD on EI this morning. Have to say ground staff are so rude and abrupt at Dublin. My God... never have I had such a bad taste from Aer Lingus until this morning..... departed from gate 407 where we walked to aircraft. Our aircraft wasn’t attached to the air bridge, it was parked directly behind an a/c already on the air bridge. Strange setup... doubling up on stand occupation for those early morning departures (we left at 5:55am).

Had the same experience on the same route a few weeks back - the staff member at check in confirmed that an air-bridge was available and we could put our jackets away...........! Also noted that all the ramp staff were wearing ear protectors - if this level of protection from noise is necessary on the ramp, should passengers be subjected to that noise level!
Flown on A300,A310,A318,A319,A320,A321,A330,B707,B720,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,L382,L1011,C5,DC-3,DC8,

OA260

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:14 am

dergay wrote:
Skyblue39 wrote:

Had the same experience on the same route a few weeks back - the staff member at check in confirmed that an air-bridge was available and we could put our jackets away...........! Also noted that all the ramp staff were wearing ear protectors - if this level of protection from noise is necessary on the ramp, should passengers be subjected to that noise level!

The ear protectors are for those that spend hours a day with those working conditions. Passengers spending 4-5 mins boarding would not be at risk. Same as when you walk past drilling when they are doing roadworks in the street. I would not be too overly worried.

As I experienced myself twice this week the 300 gates are doubled up and packed in at 6-7am.

JAmie2k9

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:52 pm

BA have removed DUB-IBZ for summer 2018 over the last few days.
___

As reported elsewhere (OAG update) UA appear to drop 2 second daily EWR service and upgrade current B772ER to B772 (267 to 364). So a loss of overall capacity but could be worse. Lot of B752s been withdrawn so not a total surprise. Extra ORD service should offset some of the losses.

neutral

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:08 am

Any sign of the new master plan for Dublin airport for the next few years? as following the recent issues on taxiways and gates/stands by Aer Lingus the DAA must be under some pressure to move on the issues!!!!

Eirules

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:42 am

The second UA EWR service is still bookable, I was only looking yesterday

shamrock321

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:30 am

I looked at a random date in July and it's only one daily

Eirules

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:47 pm

shamrock321 wrote:

I looked at late April and it’s operating

JAmie2k9

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:14 pm

Eirules wrote:
shamrock321 wrote:

No it's gone, could just be a time delay updating the website.

AmricanShamrok

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:23 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Eirules wrote:
shamrock321 wrote:

No it's gone, could just be a time delay updating the website.

It was nearly a week after the news broke of the ORD-SNN closure that those flights were removed from sale.

OA260

Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:02 am

Profits at Ryanair advance by 11% to €1.3bn
Airline reiterates guidance for full year figures, says cost of cancellations hitting 700,000 customers will be €25m

Profits at Ryanair grew 11 per cent to € 1.3 billion in the six months ended September 30th, figures released on Tuesday show.

The airline, hit by a controversy over flight cancellations in September, reported that revenues rose 7 per cent to € 4.4 billion during the period from € 4.1 billion over the same period last year.

Profit after tax grew 11 per cent to € 1.3 billion from €1.2 billion, during the six-month period, which is the first half of its financial year.

Ryanair flew 72.1 million passengers, also 11 per cent more than the 64.8 million that travelled with it in the six months to September 30 2015.

The company confirmed that the cost of cancelling flights up to March next year, hitting around 700,000 customers, will come to € 25 million.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tra ... -1.3274700

---

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:47 pm

OK, folks, our new thread is up and running! Have fun!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1377623

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos