Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N14AZ

Re: Rumor: LH might introduce a new/revised livery in 2018

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:15 am

767333ER wrote:
I personally don’t miss the yellow as blue and yellow is a colour combination that doesn’t work for me unless it’s something Swedish like IKEA where it is understandable, it just doesn’t look very nice to me.

The same here, yellow reminds me of the 70ies (I had posted some pictures a few pages earlier). If you want to see a yellow slice you can throw an egg into your pan...

LoganTheBogan

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:31 am

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

ORDfan

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:09 am

Very disappointed and saddened. New livery is unremarkable...yes so was the old one, but the old was around long enough that is became graceful and timeless.

Unfortunately, this one will look dated in a few years and Lufthansa will enter into refresh livery cycle like all the other majors when they could have kept a good thing going. Sigh

Dominion301

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:23 am

This would be nice if it were a special one-off, but as a corporate identity, it's very bland. LH, you can't pull off white & black like NZ.

ghifty

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:25 am

I really like how the white logo contrasts with the darker blue (black?). The new tail (just the tail) looks great. While the yellow logo on blue tail is classic, it looks dated.

Continuing paint from the tail to fuselage is weird, and cheapens the entire look. The concept works with, for example, Qantas.. because the Kangaroo extends to the fuselage as well. QF also has a nice silver stripe.

I think the old livery with black (dark blue) in place of all the old colors would look stellar. Black tail, black underbelly. Basically, Delta but with black.

Last edited by ghifty on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

Comments made here reflect only my personal opinions.

MSPbrandon

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:54 am

Total FAIL
When AA rebranded, they went from old and VERY outdated to fresh and modern.
LH goes from old, outdated and boring to New, boring and BLAND. They couldn't even paint the damn engines?? Really?

BlueSky1976

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:58 am

Oh, c'mon, people... It's not THAT bad. They could always make it worse (see Finnair with that awful billboard-like name on the fuselage)...
Proudly avoiding 737 MAX since 18.11.2020.

EK413

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:03 am

Why drop the yellow that’s all I ask! Why! The LH yellow crane stood out of the crowds... Dissapointing...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

787Driver

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:40 am

ghifty wrote:
I really like how the white logo contrasts with the darker blue (black?). The new tail (just the tail) looks great. While the yellow logo on blue tail is classic, it looks dated.

Continuing paint from the tail to fuselage is weird, and cheapens the entire look. The concept works with, for example, Qantas.. because the Kangaroo extends to the fuselage as well. QF also has a nice silver stripe.

I think the old livery with black (dark blue) in place of all the old colors would look stellar. Black tail, black underbelly. Basically, Delta but with black.

You described and illustrated more or less what I also described. I would add that silver color to a thin stripe at the back of the tail and at the top of the blue belly and then I would also paint the engines blue with the LH logo on them as well and then you would have a masterpiece in my opinion.

I agree with you that it doesn’t look good that the tail extends beyond the aircraft tail

sorayafaradiba

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:07 am

1. The blue looks quite dark.
2. Would like to know what are the actual differences regarding the font.
3. I did like the yellow. Reminded of the sun. But after reading that someone here posted it ks 70s-like - I realized it is true...
4. So overall the tail is ok...modern but not too crazy, but the front of the plane could need some additional features.
5. The tail looks quite shiny. Might create some nice effects

Will they change the livery on the 343s and 744 as well?

Airdolomiti

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:28 am

SXDFC wrote:
Here is the video of the 748 leaving the paint hangar.. Is it me, or is that black instead of blue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xlhcPh ... e=youtu.be

It’s you: it is, in fact, dark blue. I’m sure it will look better in daylight as opposed to this video in artificial light at night.

bluesky73

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:43 am

I haven’t been on this site for a while but seeing this post and the LH rebland i had to have my 2 cents.
The new look is very disappointing, I will wait to see A32X family and rest of fleet to fully judge but for now looks to be another bland cop out like IB/OS and many others over 5 years.
One thing I do know is if bland liveries had been around in late 70s/early 80s I would never have discovered the passion for airliners.

Airdolomiti

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:45 am

Still don’t like it :cry:

uatulip

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:46 am

Last edited by uatulip on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

CarbonFibre

Re: LH introduce a new/revised livery in 2018

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:14 am

Can the thread title be changed now that rollout has taken place.

redcap1962

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:16 am

BobMUC wrote:
LH will do two demo/marketing tours on Feb. 8th. across Germany/Europe.

Well, enough money available for that, but not for some yellow :hissyfit:

Let's get more serious:

Most if not all legacy carriers are the "flag carriers" of their nation. Thus in my opinion they should still represent it to a certain extend, be it with colours of that nation, symbols or else. LH's old colour sceme a such didn't. It is connected with Germany due to the worldwide known brand Lufthansa and because it "was always there". With the redesign they missed a chance to make a change - not only that: The chance to mix it up with other airlines when looking at it from a greater distance is bigger now! They should have made it more outstanding as "german" - compared with LH-groups LCC-offshoot EW for example. Obviously they didn't take that under consideration...

Good examples of a representative design, that even the average person can connect with the country of origin without seeing or reading the titles are BA, SU, AZ, AA, HA (OK, not a legacy, but Hawaii-girl says ist all!). To a lesser extend LY, SQ, EI, AC (the toothpaste - the new one, hmmm :roll: ),...

Not to forget AI with their palace windows that indicate the originating nation like hardly any other symbol. AFAIK there even was kind of a vote some time ago for keeping them - great!

KLM? No, regarding colours or symbols not representative for the Netherlands (well - except PH-BVA...).

And Eurowhite-designs still can have representative colours (+ symbols): AF, IB, SR, TK, OS, TP, QF, SA,...

CA's livery, as outdated it may be, at least has a relation to the (still communist governed!) Peoples Republic of China - like SU's similar looking fomer one did.
Last edited by redcap1962 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
This is your pilot speaking. Welcome to flight one from here to there. We'll be flying at a height of ten feet, going up to twelve and a half feet if we see anything big. My copilot today is a flask of coffee.

Eddie Izzard

jeffrey0032j

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:25 am

Now this looks like N194UA, the United 744 used for Charters with basic Atlas air colours.

uatulip

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:27 am

redcap1962

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:31 am

uatulip wrote:

I could imagine that the designer and the Board of Directors at LH secretly get some doubts about it when they look at this picture... :scratchchin:
This is your pilot speaking. Welcome to flight one from here to there. We'll be flying at a height of ten feet, going up to twelve and a half feet if we see anything big. My copilot today is a flask of coffee.

Eddie Izzard

CarbonFibre

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:33 am

As per Iberia I think smaller aircraft will look slightly better.

Peeter

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:50 am

CarbonFibre wrote:

I disagree, as I think the angle of the tailfin will give the 747 a lot more blue than any other aircraft.

LHPII

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:28 am

An excellent evolution of a timeless, classic and iconic Lufthansa design.
In my opinion, LH is the best branded airline out there.
It finally understates its Premium Anspruch.
Very well done Lufthansa!

seahawk

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:28 am

redcap1962 wrote:
BobMUC wrote:
LH will do two demo/marketing tours on Feb. 8th. across Germany/Europe.

Well, enough money available for that, but not for some yellow :hissyfit:

Let's get more serious:

Most if not all legacy carriers are the "flag carriers" of their nation. Thus in my opinion they should still represent it to a certain extend, be it with colours of that nation, symbols or else. LH's old colour sceme a such didn't. It is connected with Germany due to the worldwide known brand Lufthansa and because it "was always there". With the redesign they missed a chance to make a change - not only that: The chance to mix it up with other airlines when looking at it from a greater distance is bigger now! They should have made it more outstanding as "german" - compared with LH-groups LCC-offshoot EW for example. Obviously they didn't take that under consideration...

Good examples of a representative design, that even the average person can connect with the country of origin without seeing or reading the titles are BA, SU, AZ, AA, HA (OK, not a legacy, but Hawaii-girl says ist all!). To a lesser extend LY, SQ, EI, AC (the toothpaste - the new one, hmmm :roll: ),...

Not to forget AI with their palace windows that indicate the originating nation like hardly any other symbol. AFAIK there even was kind of a vote some time ago for keeping them - great!

KLM? No, regarding colours or symbols not representative for the Netherlands (well - except PH-BVA...).

And Eurowhite-designs still can have representative colours (+ symbols): AF, IB, SR, TK, OS, TP, QF, SA,...

CA's livery, as outdated it may be, at least has a relation to the (still communist governed!) Peoples Republic of China - like SU's similar looking fomer one did.

Every leading German brand avoids any nationalistic linkage as much as possible and for most there would be nothing to be gained by playing the nationalistic card. It took decades to free the brands from all negative opinion connected to Germany and focus the brand image on the positive aspects of what people usually associate with Germany. Every single of this brands is stronger than the value of the country or national flag of Germany.

And in the end the new livery is exactly what one would expect from a modern livery. It uses colours that are nearly free of any negative connection all over the world and a reduced design that works on all ways the brand could come into contact with the customer.

aerorobnz

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:32 am

Ghastly without the yellow. A real letdown
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

redcap1962

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:38 am

seahawk wrote:
Every leading German brand avoids any nationalistic linkage as much as possible and for most there would be nothing to be gained by playing the nationalistic card. It took decades to free the brands from all negative opinion connected to Germany and focus the brand image on the positive aspects of what people usually associate with Germany.

I basically understand your opinion, but gradually the Germans could come up with a little more confident and proud appearance... I'am shure it could be done in a way not to get in touch with nationalism.

Having said that: Taking over more and more airlines in other countries (OS, LX, SN, maybe AZ sonner or later) inkluding the nice try swallow AB completely - with the strong support of Mama Merkel and her government... :evil: - in order to control the inner-german & DACH-market almost exclusively: Isn't that also a certain kind of nationalism? That's what makes them a little unsympathetic - for me... :cry:
Last edited by redcap1962 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:01 am, edited 6 times in total.

Eddie Izzard

smh747

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:47 am

GianiDC

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:51 am

On this first pic taken, in FRA I suppose, it looks very very cheap. It also lost ist uniqueness. It just looks like some random airline, as many previous posts have already shown. With the blue tail with the yellow dot everybody immediately knew what is up.
I can´t imagine a livery designer has so little knowledge of the aviation world that he doesn´t know there are many other airlines flying with a very similar style livery. His objective should not be just make a new livery for any airline but do one for one of the global leaders.

LaunchDetected

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:07 am

https://thedesignair.net/2018/02/01/luf ... -the-mark/

The Design Air is not impressed.

"Firstly, the tail fin shouldn’t have extended to the bottom of the fuselage. Secondly, the grey underbelly should have been kept, along with grey nacelles. Thirdly, a small touch of yellow, perhaps the circle, in a key line yellow would have kept true to its heritage"
Caravelle lover

lhrnue

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:09 am

I thought the engines will be blue too?

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:13 am

No more yellow then?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

uta999

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:28 am

Paint the doors green and its basically UTA
Your computer just got better

N14AZ

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:37 am

Peeter wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:

I disagree, as I think the angle of the tailfin will give the 747 a lot more blue than any other aircraft.

I agree with you, I think it will look even better on the A380.

vahancrazy

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:45 am

I never liked LH livery. This one... maybe a little better but not sure how much.
However, If they want to be a premium brand, this livery is better then the previous one (imho).

P.S. as Eurowhite some how they still beat AF

Faro

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:49 am

Soulless, unoriginal, uninspired...an administrative livery, bland and domesticated...

Faro
The chalice not my son

TedToToe

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:51 am

LHPII wrote:
An excellent evolution of a timeless, classic and iconic Lufthansa design.
In my opinion, LH is the best branded airline out there.
It finally understates its Premium Anspruch.
Very well done Lufthansa!

I agree! Evolutional rather than revolutional; nothing wrong with that. But, those engines!!

EightyFour

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:58 am

This new livery is bland, and to me that's worse than being ugly. There is nothing even vaguely interesting about this livery.

EPA001

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:03 pm

lhrnue wrote:

No, but I am very happy that they exchanged the dull grey for white engine nacelles. :) Overall I think this is a good renewal, nothing spectacular, but the absence of any spectacle makes a livery a long living one without getting outdated.

Peeter

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:13 pm

lhrnue wrote:

Someone posted a photoshopped picture with blue engines earlier in this thread, but that was only wishful thinking.

s.p.a.s.

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:22 pm

Terrible colour scheme

With it, LH went from easily recognised on any airport ramp worldwide to another blue tail with an "invisible" logo on it. A real pity indeed.

I can expect some commotion in Germany and elsewhere, including among the employees.
"ad astra per aspera"

NickWebb

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:31 pm

Why is this new livery any less timeless than the previous one? It looks beautiful to me and I am certain it will be around for many, many years, unlike AA!
[photoid][/photoid]/Users/nickwebb/Desktop/FullSizeRender.jpg

zkojq

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:56 pm

The "old" livery was so much better. Infact I would say that it's close to perfect. I don't hate the new livery, but it is certainly a big let down and I would much prefer the old one to stay.
First to fly the 787-9

chimborazo

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:57 pm

It looks like a three aircraft cargo airline do-the-minimum paint job: "Boxes don't care what the plane looks like or require boarding passes and menus with our logo on them- we'll go for the cheapest option and paint only around the tail in a simple colour."

This makes the United livery look good.

Goodbye

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:02 pm

Beautiful and smart livery. It really brings LH into the 21st century and reflects the efficiency that Germany is renowned for.

It’s all well and good to trot out the old “well I could have done better!” Or “I could have done that!”, thing is if you could, why aren’t you working for a design agency? It’s easy to claim how you think it’s simple to introduce a rebrand like this, without knowing the hundreds of hours of research, concepts and revisions that something like this entails.
✈︎

VC10er

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:18 pm

First: the video wreaks of “branding agency” - it’s using all the words used for (usually) internal brand positioning statements, purpose and brand voice...but then deep into something consumer facing. I wonder who did the work?
Personally I think the removal of yellow is a big mistake. It doesn’t matter if consumers like the yellow - it (along with the navy blue and grey) ARE distinctive and own able like red and Coka-Cola or blue and Pepsi, silver for AA and sky blue for Korean, red for Swiss etc. Most times airlines don’t make employees wear uniforms that exactly match the livery and/or interiors as Lufthansa historically has. It was often considered dehumanizing for people to be a walking logo. But Lufthansa always did so with such good taste and SO CONSISTENT it spoke so strongly to German efficiency and penchant for accuracy. It always made me feel like I was on the best and safest airplane in the sky!
The reason I think there may have had a Brazilian blog connection (and I could be wrong) is that VARIG was always very close to Lufthansa (I was often told this when I was at Landor during the VARIG brand revitalization) no mistake it had a blue tail with yellow compass-sun.
I really wish (like Singapore) that Lufthansa only makes minor updates and pays no attention to the voices of “its dated, we need a freshen up” - sure both Lufthansa and Singapore birdies are sort of dated looking, but actually they are TIMELESS and are icons packed full of wonderful brand equity
(Unlike the United globe, which truly will need a future identity change one earned)
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

airkas1

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:26 pm

InThrustWeTrust

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:30 pm

Lufthansas liveryupdate is great.

filipair

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:33 pm

What a nightmare. Throwing away the identity and brand built up over decades to make something cheaper looking than even Eurowings. Inauspicious to say the least and seems to be a symbol of LH group losing its way... The paint scheme completely lacks personality and speaks to efficiency is a meat grinder sort of way. Very disappointing.

AeroplaneFreak

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:34 pm

For a minute I thought this was Qantas with a different shade. Anyone else notice this?

Loew

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:38 pm

As Gordon Ramsay would have said "Bland". This is a true "from iconic to generic" development. Last livery was easily recognisible, thanks to the yellow circle even from a great distance. This livery is easily interchangeable with dozens od similar liveries out there.

cougar15

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:44 pm

N415XJ wrote:
767333ER wrote:
My rough photoshop here shows all they would have had to do to make a livery I could say looks pretty good.

And a little yellow on the tail would add the finishing touch to make this livery at least marginally interesting

your second image is actually an early proposal I saw, and I presumed it would be the one (with the yellow); oh well, cant win them all. I actually think that yellow trim line would look much better than what I appears we now get!
some you lose, others you can´t win!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos