persiangulf93

Re: LH introduces revised livery

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:53 pm

admanager wrote:
Gag! Black and white doesn't say Germany. Black and white are probably the two lowest weight colors for paint and this is nothing more than a way to drop a couple hundred pounds. Is there any major brand in the world which only uses black and white? (Mercedes is close) but considering no other design firm has gone down this road just screams fail.

Air New Zealand...

holcakker

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:18 pm

I was hoping it will grow on me but it just didn't. It looks even more terrible on the pictures than on the renderings.
I was looking long and hard to find how it's "cool" and "professional" but I did not find it. The terrible "blue" shade
looking black in real life and the cheapo white tailcone are the worse of it.

anfromme

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:22 pm

admanager wrote:
Gag! Black and white doesn't say Germany. Black and white are probably the two lowest weight colors for paint and this is nothing more than a way to drop a couple hundred pounds. Is there any major brand in the world which only uses black and white? (Mercedes is close) but considering no other design firm has gone down this road just screams fail.

It's not black. It's just a very dark blue.
I kind of like that, to be honest. I really wish they'd changed the titles, though.

redcap1962 wrote:
KLM? No, regarding colours or symbols not representative for the Netherlands (well - except PH-BVA...).

Only at first sight, if the only colour you associate with the Netherlands is orange. There's a bit more to it, though.
But: The KLM logo has a stylised Dutch crown on it. That's what's painted on the tail, no less.
Also, even the colours have some reference, as blue and white are the colours of Dutch pottery (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delftware)

Goodbye

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:23 pm

Apart from not having any yellow, this scheme actually has more colour on the fuselage than the other did. It's time LH embraced the 21st century, and this is the livery to do that.
✈︎

Channex757

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:25 pm

My opinion (for what it's worth)....?

So disappointing. Why couldn't Lufthansa have gone to Landor and had them come up with something that clearly states "Germany in the 21st Century" rather than a scheme that would only look good on a freighter?

Livery doesn't sell tickets. It does reinforce perceptions though, and that can generate repeat business. Especially in the premium sector. BA's Landor scheme was an absolute triumph and reinforced the Britishness and style of the operation. Landor are the experts in major airline branding and could have done LH proud.
Last edited by Channex757 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

workhorse

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:32 pm

admanager wrote:

Exactly. I can almost see the internal powerpoints self-congratulating about "streamlining logistics by reducing the number of paint colors by 50%" and "increasing the overall percentage of cost-saving white paint".

Jamake1

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:48 pm

This from a DW article about the new livery:

“A new font will also be incorporated into the design, according to designer Ronald Wild.”

Perhaps what has been leaked isn’t the final rendition?

http://amp.dw.com/en/lufthansa-new-blue ... a-42418233
Come fly the sun.

leleko747

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:08 pm

Goodbye wrote:
Apart from not having any yellow, this scheme actually has more colour on the fuselage than the other did. It's time LH embraced the 21st century, and this is the livery to do that.

21st century means "the whiter, the better"?
Maybe KLM lives in the XVIII century! :spin:
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

kaichinshih

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:08 pm

Jamake1 wrote:
This from a DW article about the new livery:

“A new font will also be incorporated into the design, according to designer Ronald Wild.”

Perhaps what has been leaked isn’t the final rendition?

http://amp.dw.com/en/lufthansa-new-blue ... a-42418233

The new font is a "simplified" version of the current one; differences are minor. More notable changes include the straightening of the right part of the lowercase "a".

JannEejit

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:29 pm

Funnily enough I chanced upon some old YouTube footage the other day showing some late 80's LAX movements (1989 or 90 I think ?) and there amongst all the remaining 70's and 80's cheatline liveries like Delta, American, Cathay etc was a brand new liveried Lufthansa 744, looking like a visitor from the future. It was like one of those period movies where they screw up the continuity by slipping in a modern car amongst the old jalopy's. If nothing else it showed that the Lufty livery certainly has held it's own over the years. I'm not sure this one will at all, it looks awfully like a loco livery, as minimal as the other one was to begin with.

Texan101

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:43 pm

Not a fan of the new livery at all. Lufthansa without any yellow just doesn't seem right. Time for me to start sliding more bookings over to Lufthansa before the current livery is gone for good.

Mex87

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:44 am

I think one´s opinion could drastically change if the circle was painted a mustard yellow...maybe even the crane. A color inversion, so to speak, kind of the crane eclipsing the sun.

LTU932

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:21 am

admanager wrote:
The colours are actually blue and white. And to be precise, black and white used to be (and still are to some degree) very German colours. The flag of Prussia (the biggest nation in the old German Empire) was black, white and black, while that of the old German Empire was black, white and red. Germany's football national team wears the Prussian colours (white jerseys and black shorts), plus black is the colour of the top stripe of today's tricolour flag (black, red and gold).
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

767333ER

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:34 am

ACATROYAL wrote:
Wow.. whats happening to legacy airline paint schemes lately. First Air Canada, Cathay Pacific and now Luthansa all look either very cheap or totally off the mark. Thank god Singapore Airlines stays true to their heritage and past....

This one looks cheap and Cathay’s is just a simplified version of the older one, but i don’t see how Air Canada look cheap so to speak. It looks a lot more labor intensive to paint it than the old one which was essentially a eurowhite that just wasn’t white.
Last edited by 767333ER on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T

DfwRevolution

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:48 am

I usually favor new liveries as a rule, but this is a tough one to support. Landing in FRA on a cloudy day will be practically monochromatic. I'm shocked they removed the vivid gold.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

res77W

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:05 am

admanager wrote:

NZ does, but managed to work enough black into the livery to give some dimension. Agreed, the livery is too sterile, too bland. The font isn't quite Helvetica, it's a cheap knock off. Why bother changing it? Of course I could pose the same question about the entire livery. My two cents.

-Rowen

glideslope

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:07 am

Needs some yellow to be an LH Livery. I'd like it in the middle of the vertical stab.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” Sun Tzu

admanager

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:18 am

LTU932 wrote:
admanager wrote:
The colours are actually blue and white. And to be precise, black and white used to be (and still are to some degree) very German colours. The flag of Prussia (the biggest nation in the old German Empire) was black, white and black, while that of the old German Empire was black, white and red. Germany's football national team wears the Prussian colours (white jerseys and black shorts), plus black is the colour of the top stripe of today's tricolour flag (black, red and gold).

Good discussion, we've finally had reasons for why the color choice, I appreciate that. Who knew airline livery could be so complicated?

ER757

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:25 am

I hope it will look better when they finish painting it........ :duck:

chrisnh

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:30 am

I thought I saw a photo of it in Hamburg where yellow has in fact been added. Was I dreaming that?

Jamake1

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:05 am

ER757 wrote:
I hope it will look better when they finish painting it...

My thinking exactly. I am really hoping the leaked photos show an incomplete version and that there will be more to it come 07FEB.
Come fly the sun.

lebda

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:08 am

God, liveries are really getting uglier and uglier. Everybody has a livery like that nowadays, can't they be a little bit more imaginative?
Denver Tower: Gulfstream 592, you’re cleared to 9,000 feet. For a vector to Hector, contact the sector director.

jreuschl

LH introduces revised livery

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:08 am

Credit to a Facebook user Hon Mok for this. MUCH better. Even remove the circle if you want to make it more simplistic.

af773atmsp

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:23 am

Awful. They could've paid someone here, or the person who made the photo jreuschl posted, for cheap and with all the savings could still paint a great scheme on every plane.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

gunsontheroof

Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:06 am

I love how every time a bland, unimaginative rehash like this gets rolled out, the approvals invariably crow over HOW PROFESSIONAL it looks. This livery makes me think Lufthansa is now a high-end faucet company.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

VirginFlyer

Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:25 am

jreuschl wrote:

Credit to a Facebook user Hon Mok for this. MUCH better. Even remove the circle if you want to make it more simplistic.

I like the new Lufthansa colours (not sure yet if I like it more than the 1988-2018 colours), and I'm not a fan of some of the alternative renditions proposed here, but the one posted above is awesome, and nicely addresses the question of yellow. How about it Lufthansa?

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

dampfnudel

Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:54 am

jreuschl wrote:

Now that would make a nice refresh of the LH livery. Yellow is an important part of the LH identity.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

AA AI CO CL DE DL EA HA KL LH N7 PA PQ SK RO TW UA YR

infinit

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:04 am

ACATROYAL wrote:
Wow.. whats happening to legacy airline paint schemes lately. First Air Canada, Cathay Pacific and now Luthansa all look either very cheap or totally off the mark. Thank god Singapore Airlines stays true to their heritage and past....

My sentiments exact..
LH's new livery to me represents what I see as a trend for brands not just in aviation but just about everywhere to oversimplify their logos, going for something of a "clean" look. I don't think it will age well. I imagine that 30 years down the road, people are going to look at old pictures of the logos, liveries and such of today and go like "that was so 2010s".

Singapore Airlines's largely unchanged livery has even more value to me now. I hope they never change it!

kjeld0d

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:44 am

More proof that the tradition of graphic design is truly dead. There is an amazing book from 2012 detailing LH's design history: https://www.lars-mueller-publishers.com ... hic-design

This current effort comes off as extremely lazy.

Look! Color! Isn't it pretty? Don't you remember?

seahawk

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:54 am

It is efficient. 3 colours only mean that you pay no extra money for the paint when you take delivery for a new plane. And the simplified and clean design means it will work for a long time.

AirCalSNA

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:40 am

Standing on its own I think the minimalist two-color approach works pretty well from a purely design perspective since they kept the crane logo and the shade of blue goes well with white (it would have looked bad with the navy blue). It's a crisp and balanced look, aesthetically speaking.

But I have a feeling that it's going to wear out its welcome pretty quickly since it's basically a rip-off of Qantas's several-years-old livery and really needs a third color or something distinctive to stand out as a brand designation ... which should really be the point of the whole exercise. When placed in a crowd of planes it will be one that draws the fewest eyes.

Redbellyguppy

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:58 am

Hmm. That's a very inteeesting blue/green/gray color. Does anyone have an equivalent paint chip code from ppg or Sherwin Williams, a shed I'm building would look great in it with white trim...

redcap1962

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:37 am

A fair amount of dislike for the new livery comes IMHO from the way we look at aircraft. Ever so often we watch and photograph them beeing in the air - in front of a blue or white sky. The total absence of other colours supports the disappointing, uninteresting, boring, etc. impression.

That beeing said, has somebody spoken to people which are strictly non av-geeks? Would be interesting to hear their opinions! Show them pictures with the old and new livery side by side, don't explain much - just listen...!
This is your pilot speaking. Welcome to flight one from here to there. We'll be flying at a height of ten feet, going up to twelve and a half feet if we see anything big. My copilot today is a flask of coffee.

Eddie Izzard

seahawk

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:17 am

Most non geeks - call the LH livery the "Spiegelei" (fried egg) here. In the end one will have to see the whole re-branding before one comes to a conclusion. Removing the yellow from the livery would be very different from removing it from the entire brand. Inside the airport the yellow has a much more prominent impact and I think dropping it would reduce brand recognition by a lot, as the yellow signs are really standing out.

hongkongflyer

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:20 am

any photo of the 321 in the revised livery?

JannEejit

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:28 am

jreuschl wrote:

I like that, could also add a hint of tapered blue atop the nacelles with a subtle yellow accent or mini crane logo on the sides. Who knows though, maybe these leaks are all an elaborate hoax...

AirbusOnly

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:38 am

And there she ist: DABYA - first one in the new livery at Hamburg Airport:

https://img.abendblatt.de/img/hamburg/c ... 3944-o.jpg
Foto by Niclas Rebbelmund

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSDq_iS3yoA

787Driver

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:03 pm

jreuschl wrote:

Hmm I’m actually not a fan. The logo is too much “in your face” and I don’t like it when you can’t see the entire circle.

Bavd

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:10 pm

AirbusOnly wrote:
And there she ist: DABYA - first one in the new livery at Hamburg Airport:

https://img.abendblatt.de/img/hamburg/c ... 3944-o.jpg
Foto by Niclas Rebbelmund

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSDq_iS3yoA

OMG, that is........ Ugly!
A stillborn livery on a stillborn plane.

EPA001

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:38 pm

787Driver wrote:
Hmm I’m actually not a fan. The logo is too much “in your face” and I don’t like it when you can’t see the entire circle.

A bit more yellow could have been nice, but I agree with your comment. The two colour scheme is nothing which shouts out loud, but it is another timeless livery. Combined with the house style renewal I guess LH has got there business in order. As they always seem to have. ;)

787Driver

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:53 pm

EPA001 wrote:
787Driver wrote:

A bit more yellow could have been nice, but I agree with your comment. The two colour scheme is nothing which shouts out loud, but it is another timeless livery. Combined with the house style renewal I guess LH has got there business in order. As they always seem to have. ;)

My comment was a reply to someone’s personal take on the LH livery, not the official livery (which I’m not a fan of either)

limaoscarzulu

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:14 pm

Overall, I think they did a great job! Well, the yellow is gone but that royal blue and the white fuselage/wings/engines look pretty minimalistic, efficient and clean.
I also like how they changed the font design. The old font design looked not very good for today's standard - unwelcoming and stiff.
The new one looks modern, but not cheap or too exclusive.
I don't think that it looks like Joon, Atlas or UTA: it's a unique design when you look at all the details and not just the blue tail. It's simplistic, well-designed, and balanced.
This livery is one of my personal favorites, next to AA, QR and SQ. Well done Lufthansa! :smile:
"If flying was a language, soaring would be it's poetry!"

JannEejit

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:18 pm

I read a comment in that You Tube clip calling it "Joonhansa" perfect ! ;-) And another suggestion, Is it too late for Lufthansa to pick up Monarch's old livery in a fire sale ?

CBBW

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:19 pm

One day a major airline will introduce a new livery and the whole of A.net will love it....

"BUT TODAY IS NOT THAT DAY!"

:D

KLDC10

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Per Lufthansa on Twitter, D-ABYA now finds herself in Hamburg, where Lufthansa Technik will be attending to the new interior design:

https://twitter.com/lufthansaNews/statu ... 6537092097
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300

LTU932

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:30 pm

admanager wrote:
Good discussion, we've finally had reasons for why the color choice, I appreciate that. Who knew airline livery could be so complicated?
Regardless of your evident sarcasm and knowledge about Germany (or lack thereof), airline branding does NOT have to follow the colour of the country. Blue (and yellow) has pretty much always been part of Lufthansa's branding. The only time I remember Lufthansa having national colours in some way was when the Nazis were in power and they had to paint a big swastika flag on the tail of their aircraft. And before you ask, the German flag on their aircraft nowadays is a requirement by LBA for any airline that registers its aircraft in German (including Airbus aircraft with German test registrations).
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

LTU932

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:35 pm

sspontak wrote:
The new LH livery is nice as a start but it looks unfinished. The yellow should be used for the circle/crane on the tail instead of the white. The logo should also be represented on the front near the Lufthansa name similar to Delta or Air Canada. Then you have a finished classic livery that will represent LH now and into the future.
Personally, the front logo should stay where it is, near the nose. If LH changes that, I'll be hugely disappointed.

sspontak

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:38 pm

The new LH livery is nice as a start but it looks unfinished. The yellow should be used for the circle/crane on the tail instead of the white. The logo should also be represented on the front near the Lufthansa name similar to Delta or Air Canada. Then you have a finished classic livery that will represent LH now and into the future.

sspontak

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:46 pm

LTU932 wrote:
[Personally, the front logo should stay where it is, near the nose. If LH changes that, I'll be hugely disappointed.

Agreed but perhaps a little larger.

VirginFlyer

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:36 pm

AirCalSNA wrote:
it's basically a rip-off of Qantas's several-years-old livery

If you're talking about a white fuselage, with a single-coloured fin featuring the airline's logo and the colour of the fin extending to the rear fuselage following the lines of the fin, then the pioneer of that was UTA from the early 1970s; Qantas adopted that style in 1984.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos