Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Jayce
Topic Author
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 1999 10:36 am

WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:54 pm

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/dos-mas-si-por-favor-649244353.html

"WestJet announced today that is has expanded its position as the Canadian airline with the most flights to Mexico by adding flights from Calgary and Vancouver to Mexico City. Nonstop, year-round flights will start March 2018 and are vital to further expanding trade and tourism between the two countries."

This should be good for all the Asian codeshares in YVR!
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson
 
User avatar
SuperTwin
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:20 pm

Soon to be 4 airlines on YVR-MEX.

Westjet
ACr
Aeromexico
Interjet
SuperTwin
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24991
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:22 pm

Jayce wrote:

This should be good for all the Asian codeshares in YVR!


Doubt it helps a single one. Have you looked at the linked WS schedule?? Its a 0700 dep from YVR.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
Jayce
Topic Author
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 1999 10:36 am

Re: WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:40 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Jayce wrote:

This should be good for all the Asian codeshares in YVR!


Doubt it helps a single one. Have you looked at the linked WS schedule?? Its a 0700 dep from YVR.


I just took a look, you're absolutely right, these flights are definitely not timed well for connections.

AC departs YVR at 14:30
AM departs YVR at 06:40 and 23:25
4O departs YVR at 22:30

I wonder how this will impact the WS/AM codeshare if at all.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson
 
shoelessjoe
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:27 pm

Re: WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:44 pm

...the slow evolution into Canadian Airlines 2.0 continues.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2895
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:51 pm

Both of these routes are going to have to rely on partner AM for connections at MEX given the timings. How can YYC possibly support so much MEX service year-round? I bet the folks in YEG are thrilled by this announcement.
 
ahj2000
Posts: 1252
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:52 pm

shoelessjoe wrote:
...the slow evolution into Canadian Airlines 2.0 continues.

As much advice I’d like for WestJet to be a new Canadi>n, they do have to work on those long haul flights in order to attain the reputation of a legacy carrier. While they are somewhere inbetween LCC and Legacy, they are no AC. Yet.
Good to see them expanding to Cd de México though.
-Andrés Juánez
 
User avatar
aerolimani
Posts: 1329
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:09 pm

I'm surprised that WS is starting YYC-MEX. AM just started the route back in June 2017. WS is not Skyteam, but they codeshare with AM. I don't know about WS selling YYC-MEX on AM, but I've seen WS selling the YVR-MEX flight on AM.

As to the YYC-MEX flight, it's certainly a different schedule from AM. It better suits Canadian connections versus the AM flight which better suits Mexico connection. So, I guess you could say it's complementary versus competitive. Still, I'm surprised there's enough traffic for two 737s per day, or will there be competition now? Or, perhaps AM is doing even better than expected on YYC-MEX?

I've always thought there should be plenty of traffic on the route for Mexicans (and other Latin Americans) working in Canada, who want to avoid the hassle of US transit (or other) visas. But, two 737s per day, I'm not so sure about.
 
chrisp390
Posts: 723
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:14 pm

Any chance we see a Canada-GDL route launched by AC, WS or a Mexican airline?
 
Airontario
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:04 am

Re: WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:02 pm

chrisp390 wrote:
Any chance we see a Canada-GDL route launched by AC, WS or a Mexican airline?


I doubt it. The Mexican population in Canada isn't huge. AC codeshares on the UA flights out of IAH. I doubt there's demand for a direct flight.
 
User avatar
aerolimani
Posts: 1329
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:13 pm

Airontario wrote:
chrisp390 wrote:
Any chance we see a Canada-GDL route launched by AC, WS or a Mexican airline?


I doubt it. The Mexican population in Canada isn't huge. AC codeshares on the UA flights out of IAH. I doubt there's demand for a direct flight.

A large part of the appeal of MEX is its connections onwards to Central and South America, not to mention the rest of non-resort Mexico. GDL doesn't have the same advantage.
 
sixtyseven
Posts: 829
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:42 am

Re: WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:23 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
shoelessjoe wrote:
...the slow evolution into Canadian Airlines 2.0 continues.

As much advice I’d like for WestJet to be a new Canadi>n, they do have to work on those long haul flights in order to attain the reputation of a legacy carrier. While they are somewhere inbetween LCC and Legacy, they are no AC. Yet.
Good to see them expanding to Cd de México though.


I don't think he was implying anything positive.
Stand-by for new ATIS message......
 
ahj2000
Posts: 1252
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:51 am

sixtyseven wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
shoelessjoe wrote:
...the slow evolution into Canadian Airlines 2.0 continues.

As much advice I’d like for WestJet to be a new Canadi>n, they do have to work on those long haul flights in order to attain the reputation of a legacy carrier. While they are somewhere inbetween LCC and Legacy, they are no AC. Yet.
Good to see them expanding to Cd de México though.


I don't think he was implying anything positive.

Ehh. I was assuming he/she was referring to being a larger-scale legacy-style competitor to AC.
-Andrés Juánez
 
abrelosojos
Posts: 4323
Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 6:48 am

Re: WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:43 am

I think WS is a bit too late to this game. It should have announced MEX a long time back before AM began ramping up Canada service. Interestingly, AM announced same day that WS' former network planning head Arik De (who I think is pretty brilliant) just joined them as VP for strategy after turning around AirAsia X as their CCO. I wonder what he is thinking now!!!

Personally, I think YVR will be fine. Just do not get the YYC addition.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.
 
kiramakora
Posts: 500
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:00 am

Re: WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:48 pm

abrelosojos wrote:
I think WS is a bit too late to this game. It should have announced MEX a long time back before AM began ramping up Canada service. Interestingly, AM announced same day that WS' former network planning head Arik De (who I think is pretty brilliant) just joined them as VP for strategy after turning around AirAsia X as their CCO. I wonder what he is thinking now!!!

Personally, I think YVR will be fine. Just do not get the YYC addition.

Saludos,
Alex


Yes, Arik is brilliant. I think AM is smart to get someone that is so different than all their old school airline team. I do agree with you, West Jet slept on this,. Mexico City is far more strategically important than flying 1 times to Merida or the other random cities they serve in Mexico.
 
kiramakora
Posts: 500
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:00 am

Re: WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:50 pm

Jayce wrote:
http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/dos-mas-si-por-favor-649244353.html

"WestJet announced today that is has expanded its position as the Canadian airline with the most flights to Mexico by adding flights from Calgary and Vancouver to Mexico City. Nonstop, year-round flights will start March 2018 and are vital to further expanding trade and tourism between the two countries."

This should be good for all the Asian codeshares in YVR!


But, would the code shares off SKyteam to Skyteam AM to other YVR partners AM has (same as WS) be more seamless and better priced? Isn't AM the winner here again?
 
jimbo737
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:18 am

Re: WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:07 pm

The difference is network.

WS's YYC - MEX schedule sits comfortably in WS's normal bank of n/s flying, with YYC departures between about 9:30 and 11:00am.

Southbound is easily fed in Calgary from the west, north and east by countless other markets, and the same is the case with the north bound arrival in the evening.

I don't think WS will have any problems with the 3/4 split.

Interjet? I wouldn't place a bet on them in this horserace.
 
User avatar
aerolimani
Posts: 1329
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:33 pm

jimbo737 wrote:
The difference is network.

WS's YYC - MEX schedule sits comfortably in WS's normal bank of n/s flying, with YYC departures between about 9:30 and 11:00am.

Southbound is easily fed in Calgary from the west, north and east by countless other markets, and the same is the case with the north bound arrival in the evening.

I don't think WS will have any problems with the 3/4 split.

Interjet? I wouldn't place a bet on them in this horserace.

Yes. The more I look at the YYC situation, the more I see the two flights complementing each other.WS feeds its flight through Canadian connections. AM feeds its flight through its network. Lately, I've seen a lot of AM ads pushing their connections to the rest of Latin America. At one point, they were pushing so hard, you could buy flights down to Colombia, Chile, and Peru for under CDN$500 return.

It will be interesting to see if there is sufficient demand. Is there enough traffic from north and east of Calgary, which is currently going through Vancouver or Toronto?
 
shoelessjoe
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:27 pm

Re: WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:08 pm

I didn't really intend it to be negative or positive. The reality is what started out as an LCC grew organically thereafter (in part to fill CP's void after it's merger with AC) and has slowly evolved into what appears more-and-more to be a network carrier. Coincidentally they happen to be YYC-based with large hubs at YYC and YVR, and have a fleet built around the B737 (and for the time-being, the B767). Unionization has arrived/is arriving...they've grown up...and into something that is more similar to Canadian than it is at all like the original iteration of WS. Before I get admonished for being off-topic, MEX was a long-time/legacy CP station -- hence my comment about evolving into Canadian 2.0.

sixtyseven wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
shoelessjoe wrote:
...the slow evolution into Canadian Airlines 2.0 continues.

As much advice I’d like for WestJet to be a new Canadi>n, they do have to work on those long haul flights in order to attain the reputation of a legacy carrier. While they are somewhere inbetween LCC and Legacy, they are no AC. Yet.
Good to see them expanding to Cd de México though.


I don't think he was implying anything positive.
 
kiramakora
Posts: 500
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:00 am

Re: WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:41 am

shoelessjoe wrote:
I didn't really intend it to be negative or positive. The reality is what started out as an LCC grew organically thereafter (in part to fill CP's void after it's merger with AC) and has slowly evolved into what appears more-and-more to be a network carrier. Coincidentally they happen to be YYC-based with large hubs at YYC and YVR, and have a fleet built around the B737 (and for the time-being, the B767). Unionization has arrived/is arriving...they've grown up...and into something that is more similar to Canadian than it is at all like the original iteration of WS. Before I get admonished for being off-topic, MEX was a long-time/legacy CP station -- hence my comment about evolving into Canadian 2.0.

sixtyseven wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
As much advice I’d like for WestJet to be a new Canadi>n, they do have to work on those long haul flights in order to attain the reputation of a legacy carrier. While they are somewhere inbetween LCC and Legacy, they are no AC. Yet.
Good to see them expanding to Cd de México though.


I don't think he was implying anything positive.


Really well said. I think you hit the nail on the head.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2895
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: WestJet adds YVR/YYC-MEX

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:29 pm

kiramakora wrote:
shoelessjoe wrote:
I didn't really intend it to be negative or positive. The reality is what started out as an LCC grew organically thereafter (in part to fill CP's void after it's merger with AC) and has slowly evolved into what appears more-and-more to be a network carrier. Coincidentally they happen to be YYC-based with large hubs at YYC and YVR, and have a fleet built around the B737 (and for the time-being, the B767). Unionization has arrived/is arriving...they've grown up...and into something that is more similar to Canadian than it is at all like the original iteration of WS. Before I get admonished for being off-topic, MEX was a long-time/legacy CP station -- hence my comment about evolving into Canadian 2.0.

sixtyseven wrote:

I don't think he was implying anything positive.


Really well said. I think you hit the nail on the head.


I agree. Look no further than the uniforms WS' front line staff no wear. Can you imagine a male counter/gate agent wearing a tie and dress shirt 10 years ago, let alone in the late 90s? They've been gradually Canadian 2.0'ing, minus the crippling debt load and inefficient fleet, ever since the day they announced they were setting up a hub at YYZ in CP's old T3 stomping grounds.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos