Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KanaHawaii
Topic Author

Update on Hawaiian - Interview of Dunkerley in SA

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:15 pm

The Honolulu Star Advertiser printed a "recent wide-ranging interview" with Hawaiian Air CEO Mark Dunkerley. In the piece, which he gives insight on how the airline has developed since it's last reorganization back in 2003. Some bullet points of interest from the article:

1. Hong Kong is on the short list of new Asian services
2. Hawaiian made a “bet-the-company” decision when it decided to remake its fleet after emerging from bankruptcy.
3. Their last A330-200 will be delivered this year, along with their first A321-NEO, the 767-300's will be completely out of the fleet by next year. A330-800NEO's not yet built, are still scheduled to come into the fleet in 2019.
4. Outside of the Hong Kong statement, Dunkerley only reiterated the new routes the NEO will be taking on once they are delivered next year, all of them to west coast destinations.

The article can be found at http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/10/04/business/new-routes-in-works-as-hawaiian-air-beefs-up-fleet/ (The SA has a paywall, so you need to be a subscriber to read the article on line)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
An item not touched upon, but will be an issue for the airline in future years is the state of the current inter island fleet. As said here before, the fleet, the oldest jets being built and delivered in 2001, are now 16 years old. There may be a time in the not to distant future where the future of the 717's will need to be put on the front burner.

Overall, the article provides a good update, from the CEO himself, of a company that is one of the largest employers in the State of Hawaii.

Varsity1

Re: Update on Hawaiian - Interview of Dunkerley in SA

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:11 am

If Airbus really is working on a 251T A339, HA should be at the front of the line to convert.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

obelau24

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:21 am

I don't have much faith that it would happen but I dream every day that HA will go nonstop to Europe. When I worked there a few years ago the big rumor was HKG and LON announcements were imminent. Well, we know how company gossip goes - but a nonstop to Europe sure would be nice for me as I try to go at least twice a year. Surely twice a week with O&D timed to connect to Australia-NZ-Tahiti would do well. Granted a fourth nonstop to LAS would probably make more money - hence why I dream.

airbazar

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:29 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
If Airbus really is working on a 251T A339, HA should be at the front of the line to convert.

They're already at the front of the line. A line of 1 :)

nadavatar64

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:02 pm

HKG seems like a good choice, its weird it hasnt been served by now. I also think PVG could do well.

Swadian

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:30 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

I thought HA has no interest in the capacity of the A339, otherwise they would have converted their original A358 order to A359.

JAAlbert

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:54 pm

I realize the stars never lined up for HA re: ordering the 787, but it seems to me more and more apparent that the 787-8/10 would have been the perfect aircraft for HA's operations. Plus Hawaii would look gorgeous from those big windows!

On a side note, HA is now flying its 330 with lie flat seats out of SAN. I need to give that flight a try!

Varsity1

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:22 am

Swadian wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

I thought HA has no interest in the capacity of the A339, otherwise they would have converted their original A358 order to A359.

They might not, but I think the lower CASM will play better with the longer stage lengths and lower utilization of the Asian routes.

Their pitch and density is already approaching LCC status.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

F9Animal

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:28 am

As for the 717, I think HA has started evaluating aircraft options in the future. I would think a C Series would be an interesting plane to look at.
I Am A Different Animal!!

scbriml

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:29 am

KanaHawaii wrote:
The Honolulu Star Advertiser printed a "recent wide-ranging interview" with Hawaiian Air CEO Mark Dunkerley. In the piece, which he gives insight on how the airline has developed since it's last reorganization back in 2003. Some bullet points of interest from the article:

Nothing about the rumoured A350 vs 787 rfp? Or was that just hot air?

airbazar wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

He said A330-900, not the -800.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

airbazar

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:08 pm

scbriml wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

He said A330-900, not the -800.

"to convert" which means HA are the only ones left to convert. That's how I understood it anyway :)

LightningZ71

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:37 pm

The C-series for HA is a non-starter at this point. For the price they'd have to pay given the current trade dispute situation, they could just build a freaking bridge between the islands and do better. (yes, I know that's extreme)

The order won't go to Boeing however, as the MAX isn't really suited to their needs, so it looks like either the MRJ-90 or the E-190/195 E? If that's the case, it looks like Boeing's complaint not only doesn't help them, but harms other US suppliers in the process as it appears to me that the E jets and the MRJ both have less US content than the C-series. (I'm more than happy to be proven wrong there). The outlier here could be the A319 Neo with the GTFs. If they are suitable on the C-series (granted smaller), then maybe they are there too.

But, haven't we already had this discussion this month?

Aptivaboy

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:33 pm

As for the 717, I think HA has started evaluating aircraft options in the future. I would think a C Series would be an interesting plane to look at.

It all comes down to the engines.

I think LightningZ71 has it pretty much correct. A reengined A319 Neo might well work, and it would have the benefit of largely maintaining cockpit commonality. But again, it all comes down to an engine that can handle the rapid turnarounds. The current trade issue would largely negate any chances of a C-Series order.

WN732

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:26 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:

It all comes down to the engines.

I think LightningZ71 has it pretty much correct. A reengined A319 Neo might well work, and it would have the benefit of largely maintaining cockpit commonality. But again, it all comes down to an engine that can handle the rapid turnarounds. The current trade issue would largely negate any chances of a C-Series order.

But not just the turns. They need an airplane that can handle cruising a sub 30,000ft. Jets like the 737 can handle short turns (like WN) but they definitely need a nice cold cruise at high altitudes. Those 717's barely pass 20,000+- ft and cruise for a few short minutes.

KarelXWB

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:52 pm

KanaHawaii wrote:
3. Their last A330-200 will be delivered this year,

It was delivered at the end of September.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

hnl808

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:33 pm

F9Animal wrote:

Well according to this article posted yesterday HA is not even contemplating replacing the 717's yet. The article mentioned that the 717's could be in HA's fleet until the 2030's.

"While Hawaiian is overhauling its fleet, those workhorse 717s aren't going anywhere. In fact, they could make it well into the 2030s.

"For what we do, there's no finer aircraft in production or even on the drawing board," said Dunkerley."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/06/news/companies/hawaiian-airlines-airbus-a330-800neo/index.html

hnl808

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:37 pm

KarelXWB wrote:
KanaHawaii wrote:
3. Their last A330-200 will be delivered this year,

It was delivered at the end of September.

N361HA was ferried from TLS to PAE on September 29th for lie-flat seating installation. Will arrive in HNL around October 11th or 12th.

11725Flyer

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:45 pm

F9Animal wrote:

With recent developments, that option is seriously in question.

RL777

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:51 pm

HKG has the potential, 3-4x weekly is likely all thats needed. I'm still skeptical about going forward with the A330NEO, a 787 fleet would give them more flexibility for growth.

obelau24

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:49 am

I think HKG would do well, especially in theoretical partnership with CX. When I was at KE we saw about 30 pax a day to HKG - maybe 10-15 a day when I was at NH - so skim some off the established carriers plus market stimulation and it could work. It's not going to be a cash cow by any means though. You can already fly to HKG for ~$600 USD in Y and ~$2600 in J so there's not much room to undercut the competition.

cathay747

Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:55 pm

Being a PHX resident, and with HA being my carrier-of-choice for flying to HI vs. AA for mainland flying, I'm sure hoping that with the retirement of the 763's that we get some love here and are upgauged to the 330 vs. getting the 321. While I presume HA would add a 2nd frequency if they did change PHX to the 321, which would be nice (having a 2nd flight to choose from), the 330 would sure be nice with the new lie-flat hard product up front. Would give a bit more bang-for-the-buck in terms of the experience given HA's more-expensive mileage redemption rate for a F-class "saver" award compared to AA's.

Given the timing (and HA's intentions for the use of the 321's), I think it's starting to look like we will indeed get the 330 here. Fingers crossed!
Try a Little VC-10derness

77H

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 pm

cathay747 wrote:
Being a PHX resident, and with HA being my carrier-of-choice for flying to HI vs. AA for mainland flying, I'm sure hoping that with the retirement of the 763's that we get some love here and are upgauged to the 330 vs. getting the 321. While I presume HA would add a 2nd frequency if they did change PHX to the 321, which would be nice (having a 2nd flight to choose from), the 330 would sure be nice with the new lie-flat hard product up front. Would give a bit more bang-for-the-buck in terms of the experience given HA's more-expensive mileage redemption rate for a F-class "saver" award compared to AA's.

Given the timing (and HA's intentions for the use of the 321's), I think it's starting to look like we will indeed get the 330 here. Fingers crossed!

AA will be sending a 333 PHX-HNL beginning in December I believe.

77H

par13del

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:45 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:
The current trade issue would largely negate any chances of a C-Series order.

Why, was the dump price offered to DL established as the price they would give to any US carrier? No two airlines get the same price and unless DL got a me too pricing like AA got from Airbus, they can offer the a/c at a price that does not run afoul of trade rules.

aemoreira1981

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:13 am

For the Boeing 717, I do realize that they don't need the range, but how would the E295 or E290 (Embraer E2 jets replace the 1 with 2 in the code) fit in the HA fleet? HA would have the same capacity, roughly, although each is heavier. The problem is that there is no destination in the HA network other than inter-island that can be reached with any plane smaller than an A321neo.

Aptivaboy

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:57 pm

Why, was the dump price offered to DL established as the price they would give to any US carrier? No two airlines get the same price and unless DL got a me too pricing like AA got from Airbus, they can offer the a/c at a price that does not run afoul of trade rules.

The ruling means that tariffs/duties/taxes/whatever you want to call them will result in higher prices for the C-Series. That means that regardless of whatever sweetheart deal an airline may get from Bombardier on the base price of the plane, if it's below what the gubmnt interprets as the fair market value, the price will rise as a result of those tariffs/duties/taxes'whatever you want to call them. Precisely what is fair market value is the sticking point. Given that the ruling is being appealed, that places the C-Series in limbo for US carriers. It's highly doubtful that anyone will want to buy them without some assurances of pricing certainty.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos