HWC1977
Topic Author

AA's new branding

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:00 pm

The other day I was flying through DFW and it really hit me how cheap AA's new branding looks. The gate and check-in areas look like an IKEA showroom. Same with the clubs they are remodeling. One of things I always liked about AA was the classic look they maintained over the years (I guess before the merger). That look gave a strong and sturdy feel. I just don't understand why everything has to move towards that trendy, hipster look.

freakyrat

Re: AA's new branding

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:07 pm

HWC1977 wrote:
The other day I was flying through DFW and it really hit me how cheap AA's new branding looks. The gate and check-in areas look like an IKEA showroom. Same with the clubs they are remodeling. One of things I always liked about AA was the classic look they maintained over the years (I guess before the merger). That look gave a strong and sturdy feel. I just don't understand why everything has to move towards that trendy, hipster look.

This is actually a look like most European airport gate areas such as Hamburg etc.

F27500

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:39 pm

Its cheap, tacky, and the eagle logo looks more like Greyhound than AA. And it looks like that mess of a tail was designed by a 3rd grader. Its one of the worst out there, IMO.

KLDC10

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:44 pm

Although AA's rebranding effort has been discussed many times here, I'm just going to add my two cents and say that it is the best example I can think of of ruining a brand image. For me, the new branding is so far removed from the old that it doesn't even feel like the same airline. Although to be honest, it hasn't felt like the same airline since the merger, and I haven't flown with them since 2012 for that reason.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300

GSPSPOT

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:48 pm

I have to say, it looks like AA could have at least done a better job with gate areas/podiums. However, I feel that DL started that race to the bottom in airline clubs when they revamped the Sky Clubs a few years back. AA's new management, sadly, simply followed their lead.
Great Lakes, great life.

jpetekyxmd80

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:48 pm

Airport branding sucks indeed, s does the logo, but at least the livery is nice.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

stlgph

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:49 pm

HWC1977 wrote:

Easier to keep clean and perform maintenance, as necessary.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

jeffh747

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:07 pm

I always feel like the lone man out who disagrees with everyone on this forum. I actually like the new branding, and flying them more and more over the years, their hub airports definitely seem like they were improved with new podiums, check in areas and electronic screens. Even their new uniforms look great. Nothing will ever beat that classic silverbird livery, but everything outside of the aircraft itself feels much more improved, so much so that it is probably my second favorite brand in the US, second only to Virgin America- who does an even better job with incorporating their brand elements in their airports like SFO, JFK, DAL and FLL, (except LAX, where the AS brand is dull and gross). The new brand definitely feels more modern and more refreshing. The previous silverbird branding in the airports was starting to feel just really, really dated.
A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

Super80Fan

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:08 pm

I like the new branding, logo, livery, and airport branding. I do miss the old livery/branding, as it was one of the more iconic ones, but nothing lasts forever.

United, on the other hand, needs a complete logo and brand redesign. The death star has to go.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

bpat777

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:10 pm

The few times I now see any of the old American branding next to the current I'm glad and pleased. The silver and AA just looks so dated now. The new is very modern and stands out well. I love going to MIA or CLT and seeing 10 of more new AA tails lined up.

LHUSA

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:57 pm

Most all liveries grow on me after some time, but AA's never did. For me, the tail and front logos feel too disconnected. Also the tail is just unsettling to me in some way. That being said, UA and DL's bore the absolute heck out of me (especially DL). But to each their own. Some love it, some hate it

ahj2000

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:01 am

jeffh747 wrote:
I always feel like the lone man out who disagrees with everyone on this forum. I actually like the new branding, and flying them more and more over the years, their hub airports definitely seem like they were improved with new podiums, check in areas and electronic screens. Even their new uniforms look great. Nothing will ever beat that classic silverbird livery, but everything outside of the aircraft itself feels much more improved, so much so that it is probably my second favorite brand in the US, second only to Virgin America- who does an even better job with incorporating their brand elements in their airports like SFO, JFK, DAL and FLL, (except LAX, where the AS brand is dull and gross). The new brand definitely feels more modern and more refreshing. The previous silverbird branding in the airports was starting to feel just really, really dated.

Agree. And from an L-US perspective, the AA branding is so much much brighter, more modern, and less 1999. Everything but that tail is better than American’s 50-year old branding and US Airways’s as well.
Plus, the bare metal was blinding in Thebes DFW sun :)
-Andrés Juánez

HWC1977
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:05 am

GSPSPOT wrote:
I have to say, it looks like AA could have at least done a better job with gate areas/podiums. However, I feel that DL started that race to the bottom in airline clubs when they revamped the Sky Clubs a few years back. AA's new management, sadly, simply followed their lead.

This is exactly one of my thoughts. It just seems like a copy-cat of Delta. Though I would've preferred it not change, they could have re-branded with a stronger, traditional approach instead of this plastic trendy look.

KLDC10 wrote:
Although AA's rebranding effort has been discussed many times here, I'm just going to add my two cents and say that it is the best example I can think of of ruining a brand image. For me, the new branding is so far removed from the old that it doesn't even feel like the same airline. Although to be honest, it hasn't felt like the same airline since the merger, and I haven't flown with them since 2012 for that reason.

This was the first time in about 2 years I've flown AA and the difference after my absence was really noticeable. I guess when you fly them regularly and things change little by little, you don't notice. I know this sounds retarded, but it was like losing an old friend. Kinda like when an old local restaurant or store closes in your hometown.

F27500

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:09 am

What does L in L-US actually mean?

AAvgeek744

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:20 am

Super80Fan wrote:
I like the new branding, logo, livery, and airport branding. I do miss the old livery/branding, as it was one of the more iconic ones, but nothing lasts forever.

United, on the other hand, needs a complete logo and brand redesign. The death star has to go.

Agreed. It took awhile, but like the new look. Many flights in and out of DFW caused me to rethink.

As for UA, 100% need new. I cannot look at it without thinking CO. They need to reinvent themselves.

MDSkyguy

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:29 am

F27500 wrote:
What does L in L-US actually mean?

Legacy

AWACSooner

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:34 am

Repeat after me folks:
It's all about the shareholders.

Customers be damned...appearances be damned...service be damned. Maximize profit...maximize shareholder return...that's the game nowadays.

fraspotter

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:39 am

I actually like the new color scheme and logo. The polished aluminum while classic was definitely showing its age. People feel the new scheme is too far removed from the previous one? That's what you get when you have zero changes in the livery for 40+ years. Maybe if AA had done a little something in the 70s or 80s then this new one might not have come across as a shock. Cheat lines are on their way out. Thank God (for the most part).
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

UWPAviation

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:47 am

I actually really like the new livery. I was always a fun of the silverbird however when I see it now compared to the new it looks very outdated to me.

As for the service, I have been flying AA regularly since 2002 and I haven't noticed a change at all. Sure when I have flown through Charolette there is a tad difference but it isn't anything that really stands out.

I can get however where you are coming from with the admirals clubs. However every other lounge has gone to this look, in Europe that's everywhere even in yyz and mtl. So it was a matter of time.

alggag

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:47 am

My unpopular opinion is that the old AA scheme was tired and dated. Now that honor is firmly held by UA.

Antarius

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:50 am

AWACSooner wrote:
Repeat after me folks:

Customers be damned...appearances be damned...service be damned. Maximize profit...maximize shareholder return...that's the game nowadays.

With the exception of a.net and flyertalk, please tell me which customers are unhappy about the livery change? Which part of the "Next Gen Business Class" under LAA did any passenger like? Shareholders are important, but lets not act like its shareholders vs consumers in all cases, especially in things like branding. Many first time flyers or "after long time" flyers on AA are impressed with the new international J, general look and feel and feeling that AA has changed. At least thats my second hand opinion. (EXP since 2011)

Personal opinion, the livery, while jarring on release has grown on me and honestly looks phenomenal in person and in numbers. The logo or whatever they call it is pretty stupid. They could have rebranded to the new American with the same new livery and kept the scissor eagle. Win-Win.

Point being - zero customers other than you, me and a.net give a rats backside about the old livery.
19:SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI BNA

Antarius

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:51 am

UWPAviation wrote:
As for the service, I have been flying AA regularly since 2002 and I haven't noticed a change at all. Sure when I have flown through Charolette there is a tad difference but it isn't anything that really stands out

IMO the LAA crews are better post merger than pre. Especially the BOS based crew. Just my experience.
19:SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI BNA

Cointrin330

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:52 am

HWC1977 wrote:

Not sure I like the light faux wood against the sky blue but overall, the branding is actually quite good and I'd argue a very significant improvement over the old AA signage. Everything about it looked dated. The font. The curved red lines and the half MD80 fuselage on the gate readers. This also carried over into the cabins, which looked beyond their sell by date. While not as brand heavy as DL or even UA, I think this all works and looks pretty decent.

CarlosSi

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:40 am

At first I didn't like it at all, although I do like the livery now, but the logo just sucks; it's way too abstract and can look like anything. The double-A was American's identity and had a lot of history behind it and was unique to American with the scissor eagle. I also just liked the symmetry to it and the red and blue contrasting with each other.

I guess new American means new logo...

alasizon

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:57 am

With regards to the gate/podium/ticket counter branding; the initial branding roll-out obviously is completed and now is where you will start to see the customized branding/fixtures in certain airports to better meet the needs of that particular operation that weren't fully thought out in the initial roll-out. All of the podiums and counters are clean and more modern than the old AA branding. Although there are some quality issues with them, by far they look better than the old podiums and customers appreciate them more. To me, I didn't find them to be IKEA like, but rather more like a modern hotel desk.

One of the things that I think needs to be rolled out to all gates is the DFW screens that are at most of the gates that have the connecting flight info as well as the baggage claim info. That minor addition to all the gates goes a long way for customers and in turn, makes it easier for customers to make connections (even if by a small smidge) which means more returning customers.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

jsnww81

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:02 am

It's not that "new" anymore, friends. This January will mark five years since the updated brand was revealed.

The minimalist look of grays and whites and light-colored wood is everywhere right now, not just at AA. You see it in hotels (see the phenomenally boring rooms at any remodeled Marriott or Westin), shopping malls, schools and civic buildings all over the world. It's trendy among designers to make spaces look and feel like medical clinics. I do agree that AA's design team carries a bit far - the remodeled Admirals Clubs are some of the starkest, dullest, coldest places you'll find in an airport - but architecturally speaking, it's the zeitgeist right now.

Think back to the harvest gold/green interiors, thick plush carpeting and wood paneling of the 1970s. How about track lighting, glass bricks and exposed ductwork in the 1980s? Or the 1990s, where the only colors designers seemed to know were teal, dusty rose and fuschia. All of these trends found their way into airports - when DFW opened it was a palace of 1970s brutalist interior design, and United's concourses at Denver Stapleton oozed the 1980s from every square foot. Today is no different, and in 10-20 years we'll be looking back and marveling at it.
Last edited by jsnww81 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

GSPSPOT

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:02 am

I'm OK with the livery & logo; I just feel that it's representation behind ticket counters and gate podiums looks lightweight and cheap vs what they had before.
Great Lakes, great life.

lostsound

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:03 am

Loved it when it first came out and still love it now. Don't see what the fuss is about but everyone has their opinions!

Varsity1

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:19 am

I think AA would have been in a great position for an 'LH like' simple branding. Red and blue. Swiss'ish maybe.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

TW870

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:45 am

I like the new logo and font - although I think none of the U.S. majors are inspiring as far as design and livery go. I think the American ticket counters are the weak link. That bizarre blue fade into white looks like a spraypaint gun ran out of juice half way up the podium. It is a terribly underwhelming way to present the logo. United's high school branding looks good compared to the American ticket counters. But I actually think the rest of the American branding, from the aircraft exteriors to the cocktail napkins, looks sharp and clean.

reasonable

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:52 am

GSPSPOT wrote:

Can you say more about this? I've never been in either clubs, so am curious for more details.

fraspotter

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:11 am

While the new branding behind the ticket counters isn't perfect it works with their current logo. Besides I think it looks much better than what they had before.
New:
Old:
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

thegoldenargosy

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:26 am

The new branding has really grown on me. I hated it at first, but the old AA branding really needed to go. It represented 9/11, crashes, Ch 11, and disgruntled labor. The new branding is fresh and modern looking. It's a breath of fresh AAir.

thegoldenargosy

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:27 am

The new branding has really grown on me. I hated it at first, but the old AA branding really needed to go. It represented 9/11, crashes, Ch 11, and disgruntled labor. The new branding is fresh and modern looking. It's a breath of fresh AAir.

XLA2008

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:32 am

I wasn’t a huge fan of the AA rebrand, but the livery has grown on me, I think they could have done so much more with it, the thing I find the most a shame is that AA when coming out of bankruptcy, were launching brand new cabins, service, livery... it looked to be fantastic, and somewhere along the way they totally lost who they are, they had a great FF program that’s turned to crap, they had relatively good service, that’s turned to crap, they had class and legacy and now the whole network seems a total mess, it’s like they merged with US Airways and the size of the company and operations was too big for them to handle, they have resorted to ripping passengers off with this useless “basic economy” which is just so cheap and tacky, it looks as though they skimped on every penny, their entire fleet is a total mis-match of cabins, you never know what product your going to get which honestly I find SO frustrating, I often fly to Hawaii and they sell and show a seat map for the new 767 first class, in 18 flights over the past 2 years to Maui I am yet to actually fly in the new first, they always switch the aircraft and cabin either the day before or at check in you find out it’s the old product, yet that isn’t what they advertise online or what you get, in fact it happens so often I know what to expect when I’m booking, it shouldn’t be that way, I feel like that’s false advertising! And I am Exec Plat with AA and have to say the ONLY reason I still fly with them is because of my status, if Delta would transfer my status I would be LONG gone! Oh and never fly Mesa, you will be lucky to make it to your destination on time... if you make it at all! Terrible terrible on time performance, at least here in the south, I’ve conplained to AA a ton of times about ontime performance, cabin products, switching of cabins... they don’t seem to care, they don’t seem to care about their customers at all anymore, it’s all about making as much money as they can, and cutting all the things that made them a good airline in order to save every penny! Genuinely such a shame! I don’t mean to bash AA I’ve been a loyal customer to them for a very long time! I just hope they find their way again! Because people like me who’s company and who i personally spend a lot of money to travel with AA, will and intend to stop traveling with them and earning status with Delta or United, I’m at the point to just give up my status and switch my loyalty to another company, DL are just as convenient, there product is very nice, their customer service seems to have improved a lot over the years! I really do hope AA find their again!
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“

SXDFC

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:40 am

The whole purpose of a re brand is to distance the company from what they used to be. AA's polished look indeed had its charm, however its been associated with countless disasters within the last 35 years. The "new" branding is about five years old as someone else stated, and within the next 5-10 years people will begin talking about its replacement. With regards to the UA livery, when it gets replaced you will have the same folks on here complaining and missing the current livery.

blink182

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:15 am

SXDFC wrote:
A's polished look indeed had its charm, however its been associated with countless disasters within the last 35 years.

In the ubiquitous threads on AA's rebranding, I think people forget how patched up the late build aircraft appeared with all of their composite parts that deviated from the bare metal look--and in turn looked unsafe when we all knew the aircraft were brand new and perfectly airworthy. The bare metal look worked well on everything up to the 77E and early build 738s, but in combination with a horrendously stale product, bankruptcy, and composite aircraft, AA's image was fifty shades of drab. A more uniform look was needed and one that visually said that this is a new company. Remember that the new livery coincided with the intros of the A321T and 77W. and just predated the US merger by a few months.

fraspotter wrote:
While the new branding behind the ticket counters isn't perfect it works with their current logo. Besides I think it looks much better than what they had before.

The two terminals featured have vastly different light so the first photo is always going to look better, but coincidentally I think the bottom photo(at DFW?) shows how the intricate grey, with all sorts of layering and auxiliary bits like the stripes and eagle was converted into an easier to apply screen-printed backsplash that looked downright cheap right from the get go, especially in airports that had the original, non-screen printed backdrops in close proximity.

Coincidentally to the OP's point about how IKEA-like the airport architecture is, I think part of what makes the current brand better, regardless of how vibrant people prefer, is that it's a simpler look that's probably cheaper to apply and replace. AA didn't try to go too fancy on it.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Boeing778X

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:20 am

HWC1977 wrote:
The other day I was flying through DFW and it really hit me how cheap AA's new branding looks. The gate and check-in areas look like an IKEA showroom

First it was "too much", now it's "cheap?" Some people can't be pleased, I guess :banghead: And if you're not used to the new livery by now, you probably never will be. If AA looks "cheap" to you, I'd hate to see what you consider good looking.

The reality is that it's fresh, modern, colorful, and seeing our 777s and 787s lined up at Terminal D is a sight. The branding is perfect, I'd have it no other way.

Oh, and for the record, THIS IS CHEAP!:

Last edited by Boeing778X on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

catiii

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:21 am

KLDC10 wrote:

AA gets bought by USAir, gets merged into USAir, gets USAir leadership, and you're saying it doesn't even feel like the same airline?

No kidding...

usairways787

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:33 am

KLDC10 wrote:

American Airlines = USAirways

I and many others never knew why we got rid of the Eagle, not the hybrid eagle. It's absolutely awful.

fraspotter

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:53 am

fraspotter wrote:

The two terminals featured have vastly different light so the first photo is always going to look better, but coincidentally I think the bottom photo(at DFW?) shows how the intricate grey, with all sorts of layering and auxiliary bits like the stripes and eagle was converted into an easier to apply screen-printed backsplash that looked downright cheap right from the get go, especially in airports that had the original, non-screen printed backdrops in close proximity.

But I've seen American's old branding on the checkin counters in better lighting than the one I posted and it still looked terrible. American's former fascination with dark colors including gray and brown has thankfully gone away.

fraspotter

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:58 am

Boeing778X wrote:
HWC1977 wrote:
The other day I was flying through DFW and it really hit me how cheap AA's new branding looks. The gate and check-in areas look like an IKEA showroom

First it was "too much", now it's "cheap?" Some people can't be pleased, I guess :banghead: And if you're not used to the new livery by now, you probably never will be. If AA looks "cheap" to you, I'd hate to see what you consider good looking.

The reality is that it's fresh, modern, colorful, and seeing our 777s and 787s lined up at Terminal D is a sight. The branding is perfect, I'd have it no other way.

Oh, and for the record, THIS IS CHEAP!:

I agree with you however I think Iberia's colorful tail really makes up for the lack of imagination that is the front part of the aircraft. If you want something that's cheap looking AND boring then look no further than JAL (bringing back the crane does not make up for the boring front end) and China Eastern (looks like a cheap charter airline).

LAXLHR

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:58 am

AWACSooner wrote:
Repeat after me folks:

I said it the other day. DL+UA+AA = ONE Airline. WALL STREET AIRLINES
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380

Braybuddy

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:32 am

Love the tail, I think it's a stroke of genius! Haven't seen the rest of the branding, but looking at the pics above it looks very smart. :bigthumbsup: While the old livery was excellent, it's time had come, I'm afraid.

bunumuring

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Hey guys,
I too absolutely hated the new A,epicanthic livery when it was introduced, but having seen it here in Sydney in real life, it does look better in real life than in photos. It has grown on me... But I still think it could've been better!
Whilst waiting for a train at Town Hall station here in Sydney yesterday, I was watching a great American Airlines advertisement on one of the giant screens on the tunnel wall. It was a roll call of iconic American tourist sites being overflown by the AA eagle logo thingy.... Looked very attractive and professional.
The Current Delta livery is the best of the US3 in my opinion, with AA second and UA a very distant third. Alaska's new livery wins hands-down in my opinion as 'best US livery' with Southwest an impressive second.
Cheers
Bunumuring
Last edited by bunumuring on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

mikegigs

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:25 pm

Maybe it's because I'm younger, but I agree the pm-AA livery had to go. It was the only way to make a brand new, state-of-the-art 777 look like some old piston airliner that the airline was too cheap to retire (ok, maybe an exaggeration, but still). Polished metal aircraft screams 1950's. I happen to like the new livery.The tail could use some work but it is modern and the branding is much nicer. When I go to the airport I'm not excited to see "Fifty Shades of Gray" at check in through bag claim...
Airports: BOS, JAX, JFK, EWR, LGA, CVG, ATL, CLT, DCA, IAD, STT, PVD, ALB, MCO
Aircraft: 733, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 717, A319, A320, MD-88, E190, E175, E145, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, Q400
Airlines: B6, CO, DL, US, NW, WN, DH
...a good start but a long way to go!

Polot

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:36 pm

I wish AA had incorporated more of the tail design into the gate/podium branding. Not necessarily the whole tail design, as that would probably be a little too much, but the tail has great detail with the multiple shades of red, white/silver, and especially blue stripped together that I wish had been carried further into the branding (even if somewhat abstractly). Think how it would look with instead of the gradient blue to white having the various blue stripes using shades from the tail running along the bottom (not necessarily in the same color order as on the tail), then a few stripes of the various white/silvers used, then the solid white.

AA's current gate/podium design isn't ugly per se, but is very generic. You can replace the AA name and logo with just about any airline and it would work since it just a representation of the sky and uses colors not really found on AA's aircraft.

Overall its all much better than the old branding though. I liked the classic livery, but seeing the few remaining among the sea of the current livery just highlights how old fashion and outdated the livery looks today.

Woofbite

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:56 pm

In addition to re-branding, I think they should have been forced to change the name as well. To pretend the current operation is
a continuation of the American everyone knew is deceptive.

Boeing778X

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:04 pm

Polot wrote:
I wish AA had incorporated more of the tail design into the gate/podium branding. Not necessarily the whole tail design, as that would probably be a little too much, but the tail has great detail with the multiple shades of red, white/silver, and especially blue stripped together that I wish had been carried further into the branding (even if somewhat abstractly). Think how it would look with instead of the gradient blue to white having the various blue stripes using shades from the tail running along the bottom (not necessarily in the same color order as on the tail), then a few stripes of the various white/silvers used, then the solid white.

AA's current gate/podium design isn't ugly per se, but is very generic. You can replace the AA name and logo with just about any airline and it would work since it just a representation of the sky and uses colors not really found on AA's aircraft.

Overall its all much better than the old branding though. I liked the classic livery, but seeing the few remaining among the sea of the current livery just highlights how old fashion and outdated the livery looks today.

The podiums, I'd say, are clean looking. The blue logoed background with silver and bright wood front and center. I certainly don't object to it.

I suppose it depends on the airport environment. DFW, Terminal D? Nice! But smaller, more run down airports may not have the same appeal.
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

drgmobile

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:23 pm

This branding was introduced in 2013 -- nearly five years ago. So not so much "new"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos