Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GordonCC
Topic Author

United Airlines - STS to SFO vs. DEN

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:49 pm

Good Afternoon,

Can someone explain to me why United Airlines has elected to serve SFO from STS as opposed to say DEN. While I appreciate not having to drive to SFO and hope the service is a success it seems that DEN is an equally viable option. STS is only 74 miles from SFO giving many people the option to drive.

If the STS - SFO route is a success is there any chance we see United link STS to DEN in the future?

Colin

rafflesking

Re: United Airlines - STS to SFO vs. DEN

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:02 pm

DEN would certainly give many domestic connecting opportunities but not provide the same international options.

And the flight is traffic avoidance as you can't avoid San Francisco or Oakland/Berkeley traffic getting between the two. The flight time is scheduled for 45 min but on the best of days, it takes 90 minutes to get between the two. On a weekday morning or evening, it could be 3+ hours between Santa Rosa and SFO.

flyfresno

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:03 pm

GordonCC wrote:
Good Afternoon,

Can someone explain to me why United Airlines has elected to serve SFO from STS as opposed to say DEN. While I appreciate not having to drive to SFO and hope the service is a success it seems that DEN is an equally viable option. STS is only 74 miles from SFO giving many people the option to drive.

If the STS - SFO route is a success is there any chance we see United link STS to DEN in the future?

Colin

STS has seen one of the largest growth spurts in its history lately, so I don't think DEN is out of the realm of possibility. That said, it can take 2+ hours to get to SFO in bad traffic, and serving STS from there is a nock at Alaska without putting too much skin in the game. If these flights are really successful and large numbers of pax using them are heading East, a DEN flight could happen.

yeginleduc

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:08 pm

Maybe UA wanted to compete with Airport Express?

But with the timing of the flights I never really understood why they operate the flights. If you spend anything over 60 mins connecting then you could have almost driven and with most of the flights, the traffic isn't at its worst for the time of the flights. With the choice of flights and times out of OAK and SFO and even SMF depending on where you live then it makes sense to make the drive out or use the shuttles.

Anyways, I use STS when it makes sense and do hope for maybe a UA link to DEN as well to make sense. DL to SLC and./or SEA would also add some more competition for fares.

LAXintl

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:09 pm

United previously served the route, so its a resumption.

Anyhow, Santa Rosa tourism and airport are providing incentives for the flights. The flights are obviously all about offering connections via SFO into the broader UA network.

Regarding DEN, Sonoma County had a couple years worth of DOT grant money for a DEN flight and worked hard to attract Frontier, but that funding has since expired..
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

loisencroach

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:43 pm

UA/OO didn't have the A/C out of DEN available so they decided to just do SFO for starters. Where the STS airport manager made that statement is somewhere in the meeting minutes in here:

https://sonomacountyairport.org/busines ... ommission/

I think STS-DEN is only a matter of time, though, given that SY expressed interest in it (also found somewhere in the meeting minutes)

dfwjim1

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:52 pm

And this route could also work for those traveling to the North Bay from out of the area for business or pleasure.

loisencroach

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:56 pm

yeginleduc wrote:
DL to SLC and./or SEA would also add some more competition for fares.

So far I have heard or read anything that suggests DL has any interest in STS, and the airport manager specifically said this at a board meeting. DL actually has a hard time with SLC to CA markets that are under a million metro population. They pulled out of Bakersfield and Monterey, and they were unsuccessful for the short time they were at Eureka/Arcata (which used incentive $ and everyone knew it wouldn't last). FAT, which is just over a million metro population, only has 170 seats/day to SLC, which is 30 less than FAT-DEN.

mtnwest1979

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:30 pm

Plus there is a lot less time of crew and aircraft dedicated to a SFO-STS route.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

obelau24

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:27 am

I was so excited to hear about this route but you can't use it for day trips - maybe practical for a weekender - and it's exorbitantly expensive, granted I was looking to fly from SFO which is probably not the market they care about.

psa1011

Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:13 am

UA is probably trying to compete with AS she capture tourists off the West coast. I think overall network connectivity wasn't the goal, yet.

flyfresno

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:56 pm

loisencroach wrote:
yeginleduc wrote:
DL to SLC and./or SEA would also add some more competition for fares.

So far I have heard or read anything that suggests DL has any interest in STS, and the airport manager specifically said this at a board meeting. DL actually has a hard time with SLC to CA markets that are under a million metro population. They pulled out of Bakersfield and Monterey, and they were unsuccessful for the short time they were at Eureka/Arcata (which used incentive $ and everyone knew it wouldn't last). FAT, which is just over a million metro population, only has 170 seats/day to SLC, which is 30 less than FAT-DEN.

But then look at the seats FAR-MSP, FAR being much smaller than FAT. Delta just doesn't see any value in Fresno, I wouldn't use it as an example here.

SonomaFlyer

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:27 pm

SFO offers a far larger compliment of international connections for STS passengers than DEN. I'd love to see DEN flying from STS (or SLC for that matter) but a/c availability might be an issue. The 50 seat CRJ2s have to go somewhere and UA gets an incentive on top of it so it seems to be working.

Given the growth at STS and the success AS has at this airport, I don't think the growth is done yet.

AAvgeek744

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:41 pm

Driving from Sonoma and Marin counties to SFO is horrific. I think the route makes perfect sense.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos