n7371f
Topic Author
Posts: 1588
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:19 pm

Compass is now officially listing openings for a Spokane, Washington (GEG) flight attendant base. Despite rumors there is no listing for pilots.

Of more interest is the loose talk that Alaska is eyeing Compass for AS-operated flights. I don't have anything concrete on this. Just as easily I can see Compass opening GEG because it has a decent amount of traffic via DL to SEA, LAX and occasionally SLC.

Regardless it is interesting...especially if AAG is desperate enough to look to Compass for lift with the atrocious operations at Horizon.
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 9526
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:54 pm

n7371f wrote:
Compass is now officially listing openings for a Spokane, Washington (GEG) flight attendant base. Despite rumors there is no listing for pilots.

Of more interest is the loose talk that Alaska is eyeing Compass for AS-operated flights. I don't have anything concrete on this. Just as easily I can see Compass opening GEG because it has a decent amount of traffic via DL to SEA, LAX and occasionally SLC.

Regardless it is interesting...especially if AAG is desperate enough to look to Compass for lift with the atrocious operations at Horizon.


Compass operates for DL and AA already.
SkyWest operates for AS along with multiple others.
Yet it's "desperate" for AS to possibly contract with Compass?
-Dave


MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.
 
User avatar
bluefltspecial
Posts: 529
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:27 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:06 am

There's been a lot of talk (on a.net as well as person to person) about Compass leaving the Delta family. It's no secret that Delta is likely looking to continue to slim down its number of regional carriers. That being said, Compass can operate DL and AA at the same time, there should be no reason why they can't operate AS as well, unless there is something in their contract forbidding it... anyone?

A bigger question is who owns the E175s operating for DL & AA, should Compass own them and not their mainline counterparts... when are those contracts up, and is AS willing to take on those E175s for growth. Perhaps someone with more detailed knowledge of the E175 ownership and ops at Compass can enlighten us.
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....
 
User avatar
asqx
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 1999 4:56 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:52 am

bluefltspecial wrote:
A bigger question is who owns the E175s operating for DL & AA, should Compass own them and not their mainline counterparts... when are those contracts up, and is AS willing to take on those E175s for growth. Perhaps someone with more detailed knowledge of the E175 ownership and ops at Compass can enlighten us.


American and Delta own the entirety of Compass's fleet. Should Compass lose or fail to renew either contract they will lose the planes as well.
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3144
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:36 pm

n7371f wrote:
Compass is now officially listing openings for a Spokane, Washington (GEG) flight attendant base. Despite rumors there is no listing for pilots.

Of more interest is the loose talk that Alaska is eyeing Compass for AS-operated flights. I don't have anything concrete on this. Just as easily I can see Compass opening GEG because it has a decent amount of traffic via DL to SEA, LAX and occasionally SLC.

Regardless it is interesting...especially if AAG is desperate enough to look to Compass for lift with the atrocious operations at Horizon.


Where is GEG listed as a Compass FA base? Proof?
From my cold, dead hands
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3144
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:10 pm

I see it now, listed on their career page, PDX is there as well. This is probably the end of 175 flying at QX.
From my cold, dead hands
 
IPFreely
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 am

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:51 pm

bluefltspecial wrote:
It's no secret that Delta is likely looking to continue to slim down its number of regional carriers.


Actually Delta wants to make sure each of it's regional carriers (except Skywest) account for 0.49% of total revenue or less, so that their operational performance does not have to be reported...

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 89c66.html
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14042
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:52 pm

GEG is a rough spot to be based unless you live in Seattle, Portland or Spokane. There aren’t too many options in or out. Not too much different from some of the Piedmont and PSA based on the east coast.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
cxb744
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:31 am

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:46 pm

Umm, there is no Compass GEG base opening anytime soon.
The internet postings are for where interviews are going to be held and to direct people in towns near their bases to become flight attendants.
As far as the AS rumors, they're about as true as Compass starting to do flying for UA.
What is it? It's A 747-400, but that's not important right now.
 
amcnd
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:19 am

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:54 pm

I heard that the only way they could get into the GEG recruitment “media” market is to “say” its a base.. if you read the posting. It said mus relocate to a base...
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15461
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:56 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
I see it now, listed on their career page, PDX is there as well. This is probably the end of 175 flying at QX.


:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Erm, no. Not by a long shot; QX is taking 13 new frames in 2018 alone while retiring 13 Q400s.

The E175 represents the future of QX.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
amcnd
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:19 am

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:15 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
I see it now, listed on their career page, PDX is there as well. This is probably the end of 175 flying at QX.


:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Erm, no. Not by a long shot; QX is taking 13 new frames in 2018 alone while retiring 13 Q400s.

The E175 represents the future of QX.


Considering OO just took dilevery of A jet sitting on the ramp with Alaska operated by “. “ i would question how many Jets Horizon is getting in 2018.. Not to mention the internal memos. Using worrds such as “prepare us for growth in 2019” ect...
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3144
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:33 pm

amcnd wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
I see it now, listed on their career page, PDX is there as well. This is probably the end of 175 flying at QX.


:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Erm, no. Not by a long shot; QX is taking 13 new frames in 2018 alone while retiring 13 Q400s.

The E175 represents the future of QX.


Considering OO just took dilevery of A jet sitting on the ramp with Alaska operated by “. “ i would question how many Jets Horizon is getting in 2018.. Not to mention the internal memos. Using worrds such as “prepare us for growth in 2019” ect...

Exactly. Throw in Compass, they'll likely to be able to staff whatever QX had wrapped up, as their Delta and AA flying goes away. This is the end for Horzion, fly the Q400 until its done, and that's it.
From my cold, dead hands
 
User avatar
bluefltspecial
Posts: 529
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:27 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
GEG is a rough spot to be based unless you live in Seattle, Portland or Spokane. There aren’t too many options in or out. Not too much different from some of the Piedmont and PSA based on the east coast.


Interestingly, I was just talking about the new E145 operation at Piedmont to someone recently, and they have apparently done away with many of the old smaller crew bases in outstations like CHO, ROA, SBY etc that were mainly Dash 8 ops. I took a quick peek at their website and it shows only PHL as their crew base... new strategy I guess. Won't be good when GDPs and weather hit PHL.

As for PSA, it looks like they still are offering bases in CLT, CVG, DAY, TYS, and DCA.
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15461
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:02 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
amcnd wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Erm, no. Not by a long shot; QX is taking 13 new frames in 2018 alone while retiring 13 Q400s.

The E175 represents the future of QX.


Considering OO just took dilevery of A jet sitting on the ramp with Alaska operated by “. “ i would question how many Jets Horizon is getting in 2018.. Not to mention the internal memos. Using worrds such as “prepare us for growth in 2019” ect...

Exactly. Throw in Compass, they'll likely to be able to staff whatever QX had wrapped up, as their Delta and AA flying goes away. This is the end for Horzion, fly the Q400 until its done, and that's it.


:talktothehand:

You can try and spread as much fear, uncertainty, and doubt among those out-of-the-know here as you like, but it doesn't change the fact that QX isn't going anywhere. If you knew the amount of resources AAG is pouring into new training facilities, aligning operations more closely with AS, and money into the training pipeline, you'd be amazed.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3144
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:57 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
amcnd wrote:

Considering OO just took dilevery of A jet sitting on the ramp with Alaska operated by “. “ i would question how many Jets Horizon is getting in 2018.. Not to mention the internal memos. Using worrds such as “prepare us for growth in 2019” ect...

Exactly. Throw in Compass, they'll likely to be able to staff whatever QX had wrapped up, as their Delta and AA flying goes away. This is the end for Horzion, fly the Q400 until its done, and that's it.


:talktothehand:

You can try and spread as much fear, uncertainty, and doubt among those out-of-the-know here as you like, but it doesn't change the fact that QX isn't going anywhere. If you knew the amount of resources AAG is pouring into new training facilities, aligning operations more closely with AS, and money into the training pipeline, you'd be amazed.


Yet pilots who are looking to enter the business consider QX less and less and less every day. They're simply too far behind the curve to ever catch up, barring an economic collapse or a repeal of the ATP rule, both unlikely in the short term. Look at the TA that the Delta W/O carrier just got and compare that to Horizons contract..
From my cold, dead hands
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15461
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:22 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
Exactly. Throw in Compass, they'll likely to be able to staff whatever QX had wrapped up, as their Delta and AA flying goes away. This is the end for Horzion, fly the Q400 until its done, and that's it.


:talktothehand:

You can try and spread as much fear, uncertainty, and doubt among those out-of-the-know here as you like, but it doesn't change the fact that QX isn't going anywhere. If you knew the amount of resources AAG is pouring into new training facilities, aligning operations more closely with AS, and money into the training pipeline, you'd be amazed.


Yet pilots who are looking to enter the business consider QX less and less and less every day. They're simply too far behind the curve to ever catch up, barring an economic collapse or a repeal of the ATP rule, both unlikely in the short term. Look at the TA that the Delta W/O carrier just got and compare that to Horizons contract..


And yet the temporary pilot shortage at QX no longer has to do with getting solid, qualified applicants, but getting them through training and IOE quickly. And that’s being corrected as we speak. The pipeline is full and QX leadership is expanding the training department massively and leveraging outside vendors for sim time while an additional sim is being brought in. The E175 is the future of QX and AAG is throwing their substantial financial weight behind it.

All this while QX has dramatically improved their hiring and onboarding for new hires along with a much improved pilot CBA. Just my $0.02 but I’d say it’s only a matter of time before a formal flow-through side letter of agreement is added as well.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
ASFlyer
Posts: 1659
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 1:25 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:35 pm

I gotta be honest, just looking at it from my limited perspective - having the same access to the same information anyone else here from AS does - I'm inclined to agree with some of the posters here. I think something could be brewing here. I could be wrong, I hope I am, but QX is becoming a HUGE thorn in the side of AAG. Admittedly, the problem is almost completely management's making, but the damage is done and they are not doing a good job at making things better. I would not be at all surprised if QX is sold off or just slowly disappears, while AAG contracts other carriers to do this work for them. The whole WO regional model may work for DL and AA, but AAG is substantially smaller, and really needs to focus on the business of running one airline - running two is becoming increasingly more of a challenge for them. AAG management has not been afraid to make similar changes, such as when they outsourced the majority of the ramp work and their fleet service operations. I don't wish this for the QX peeps, but if they ARE sold, maybe working under leaders that have more background in running a regional airline would be to their benefit?
 
93Sierra
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:01 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:33 pm

There is nothing that Horizon offers. Old crusty pilot group lifers. Bad management, unable to fill classes and bleeding money with the 175 training. Want the northwest? Skywest and Compass have bases there. Horizon used to be a great place to work. Now Skywest dusted off a few CRJs and is taking delivery of Horizon ordered Ejets. Writing is on the wall.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14042
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:44 pm

bluefltspecial wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
GEG is a rough spot to be based unless you live in Seattle, Portland or Spokane. There aren’t too many options in or out. Not too much different from some of the Piedmont and PSA based on the east coast.


Interestingly, I was just talking about the new E145 operation at Piedmont to someone recently, and they have apparently done away with many of the old smaller crew bases in outstations like CHO, ROA, SBY etc that were mainly Dash 8 ops. I took a quick peek at their website and it shows only PHL as their crew base... new strategy I guess. Won't be good when GDPs and weather hit PHL.

As for PSA, it looks like they still are offering bases in CLT, CVG, DAY, TYS, and DCA.


I think the different approaches make sense. Dayton and Knoxville aren’t huge cities but have a lot of people within 200 miles or so. I’ve met TYS-based flight attendants who drive from HSV and BNA, and we could imagine a similar dynamic with DAY and TOL or IND. ROA is much more isolated, and GEG is more like ROA in that regard.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
F9Animal
Posts: 4245
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:13 am

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:25 pm

The writing is on the wall? I have to disagree. The potential with QX is alive and well. I suspect the 175 will be a game changer, and I have no doubt that this plane will open a new chapter for the airline.
I Am A Different Animal!!
 
93Sierra
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:01 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:30 pm

Have you seen how much money they have lost bringing the ejet onto thier certificate?

And the fact the Skywest is getting Horizona ordered factory fresh e jets. Doesn't bode well. Game
Changer? Nope
 
JayWings
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:26 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:42 am

As disappointed with QX and AAG management as I am, I do believe that QX will be able to turn around. Now AS needs to make sure the same thing doesn't happen at mainline. Putting a side letter in establishing a flow through from QX to AS would go a long way.
 
tphuang
Posts: 3378
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:58 am

I love the AAG spin that this is a temporary situation. I guess this is why QX pilots have decided to finally air their frustrations rather than waiting for the temporary situation to be over.
http://www.mailtribune.com/news/2017100 ... ons-public
Horizon management asked pilots to accept pay cuts and other concessions last year to compete with another airline for outsourced routes flying from Alaska Airlines. In return for concessions, Horizon and Alaska Air Group guaranteed the pilots Horizon would become the exclusive operator for more than 30 new regional jets.

“With the ink on the contract barely dry, Horizon became unable to adequately staff and operate the airline — precisely as we had warned,” the pilots wrote. “In effect, Horizon’s attempt to cut costs had backfired; the airline had lower pilot costs, yes, but lower costs also meant that the airline could not recruit and retain scarce pilots.”

Recently, Horizon announced service reductions, deferred aircraft deliveries, and that SkyWest would fly new aircraft on contract for Alaska Airlines, something the pilots said was a flagrant violation of their 2016 agreement.
Horizon pilots said short-term fixes won’t help, and Alaska needs to present a long-term plan. They said it was important to retain senior pilots and develop training for the next generation. The pilots also said Alaska needs to break from corporate orthodoxy that says the market will solve the problem.

“The market is not solving this problem,” they wrote.

Unterseher said community leaders in the Rogue Valley need to ask Alaska about its plan.

“Alaska’s inability to recognize market conditions was shown by Delta’s invasion of Seattle, and then having to make a defensive move and spend well above the market price for Virgin America,” he said.


And there is also the issue of mainline pilots entering arbitration.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/20 ... 67197f1ade

AS is not the only airline dealing with it. Just like B6, NK and F9, their pilots are vastly underpaid and will need to get pay raise sooner or later.
 
amcnd
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:19 am

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:42 am

Compass can’t take on extra flying right now. They are canceling next years vacation time already for there crews...
 
amcnd
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:19 am

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:52 am

This QX 175 “experiment” is costing AS way to much money. When will they pull the plug.. if AS pulots get scope and QX is limited on 30 175’s that will not be enough to break even. They need atleast 50 to break even... (my opinion)
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3144
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:18 am

amcnd wrote:
Compass can’t take on extra flying right now. They are canceling next years vacation time already for there crews...

Unless they know something behind the scenes and aren't saying it... You think EV just up and had their flying pulled without knowing that it was happening?
From my cold, dead hands
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 9526
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:35 am

I have no inside info one way or the other, but I do think there's a bit of a thrashing on AS/QX in this thread and it was based on "fake news". QX hit a rough patch in their hiring and suddenly it's the Titanic. Weird.

Discuss all you want but the proof will be in the pudding, which won't really be until sometime late next year.
-Dave


MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 9526
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:36 am

n7371f wrote:
Compass is now officially listing openings for a Spokane, Washington (GEG) flight attendant base. Despite rumors there is no listing for pilots.

Of more interest is the loose talk that Alaska is eyeing Compass for AS-operated flights. I don't have anything concrete on this. Just as easily I can see Compass opening GEG because it has a decent amount of traffic via DL to SEA, LAX and occasionally SLC.

Regardless it is interesting...especially if AAG is desperate enough to look to Compass for lift with the atrocious operations at Horizon.


Since it's now somewhat clear that Compass isn't opening a GEG base, where are these rumors of flying for AS originating? Just curious.
-Dave


MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.
 
IPFreely
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 am

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:01 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Since it's now somewhat clear that Compass isn't opening a GEG base, where are these rumors of flying for AS originating? Just curious.


It looks like they're originating from the same post that contained the fake news of Compass opening a GEG base. So I'd take that into consideration.
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15461
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:31 am

tphuang wrote:
I love the AAG spin that this is a temporary situation.



It's not spin; it truly IS a temporary situation, and one that improves week over week.


tphuang wrote:
Horizon management asked pilots to accept pay cuts and other concessions last year to compete with another airline for outsourced routes flying from Alaska Airlines. In return for concessions, Horizon and Alaska Air Group guaranteed the pilots Horizon would become the exclusive operator for more than 30 new regional jets.


And that's happening. The five deferred E175s will enter the fleet in 2018; they weren't added in 2017 because it costs money to have airplanes sitting idle while pilots are trained on the type.


tphuang wrote:
“Alaska’s inability to recognize market conditions was shown by Delta’s invasion of Seattle, and then having to make a defensive move and spend well above the market price for Virgin America,” he said.


How's your crystal ball? No one else predicted DL setting up a hub on top of a long-term partner the way they did. And I guess B6 can't "recognize market conditions" either, since they were prepared to spend almost as much on VX. Thankfully, the deeper pockets of AS won out.

tphuang wrote:
And there is also the issue of mainline pilots entering arbitration.


As an agreed-upon part of the framework of negotiations between the company and the union from the last contract negotiation. If memory serves, it was the union that proposed it.

So, arbitration is hardly indicative of any problems between AS pilots and management.

Again, go spread your FUD elsewhere...
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
tphuang
Posts: 3378
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:29 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
tphuang wrote:
I love the AAG spin that this is a temporary situation.



It's not spin; it truly IS a temporary situation, and one that improves week over week.


tphuang wrote:
Horizon management asked pilots to accept pay cuts and other concessions last year to compete with another airline for outsourced routes flying from Alaska Airlines. In return for concessions, Horizon and Alaska Air Group guaranteed the pilots Horizon would become the exclusive operator for more than 30 new regional jets.


And that's happening. The five deferred E175s will enter the fleet in 2018; they weren't added in 2017 because it costs money to have airplanes sitting idle while pilots are trained on the type.


tphuang wrote:
“Alaska’s inability to recognize market conditions was shown by Delta’s invasion of Seattle, and then having to make a defensive move and spend well above the market price for Virgin America,” he said.


How's your crystal ball? No one else predicted DL setting up a hub on top of a long-term partner the way they did. And I guess B6 can't "recognize market conditions" either, since they were prepared to spend almost as much on VX. Thankfully, the deeper pockets of AS won out.

tphuang wrote:
And there is also the issue of mainline pilots entering arbitration.


As an agreed-upon part of the framework of negotiations between the company and the union from the last contract negotiation. If memory serves, it was the union that proposed it.

So, arbitration is hardly indicative of any problems between AS pilots and management.

Again, go spread your FUD elsewhere...


I love it that you decided to reply to a quote from that article as if those were my comments.

QX pilots have their view about this crisis that differs from AAG management and they've decided to go public. And it's certainly within reason to have their view posted on this thread rather than having you deciding to shut up everyone that don't agree with the narrative that AAG has this under control.
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15461
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:51 pm

tphuang wrote:
I love it that you decided to reply to a quote from that article as if those were my comments.


Well, you chose to quote the article, so you obviously stand by what was written; why wouldn't I quote you and refute the points that were attempted to be made?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
tphuang
Posts: 3378
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:24 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
tphuang wrote:
I love it that you decided to reply to a quote from that article as if those were my comments.


Well, you chose to quote the article, so you obviously stand by what was written; why wouldn't I quote you and refute the points that were attempted to be made?

I am simply relaying the article and put the entire part from pilot in there. For example, I don't care about what they paid for vx. That's a long past issue. I simply side with pilots that this is not temporary.
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3144
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:07 pm

tphuang wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
tphuang wrote:
I love it that you decided to reply to a quote from that article as if those were my comments.


Well, you chose to quote the article, so you obviously stand by what was written; why wouldn't I quote you and refute the points that were attempted to be made?

I am simply relaying the article and put the entire part from pilot in there. For example, I don't care about what they paid for vx. That's a long past issue. I simply side with pilots that this is not temporary.


Not only is it not temporary, QX is simply the first to see it manifested. You'll start to see it at other carriers come spring time as the ramp up begins for summer 2018 flying.
From my cold, dead hands
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15461
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:22 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
tphuang wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Well, you chose to quote the article, so you obviously stand by what was written; why wouldn't I quote you and refute the points that were attempted to be made?

I am simply relaying the article and put the entire part from pilot in there. For example, I don't care about what they paid for vx. That's a long past issue. I simply side with pilots that this is not temporary.


Not only is it not temporary, QX is simply the first to see it manifested. You'll start to see it at other carriers come spring time as the ramp up begins for summer 2018 flying.


Let me elaborate; the problems impacting the ability of QX to reliably operate their schedule is temporary. I do agree, however, that the need to attract and retain pilots is an industry-wide one, and QX would be wise to get ahead of the curve while they're already in catch-up mode by seeing AAG implement a formal flow-through agreement to AS. AAG needs pilots to see the value in creating a career with the AAG family rather than using QX as a training opportunity before moving on.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14042
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:46 pm

IPFreely wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
Since it's now somewhat clear that Compass isn't opening a GEG base, where are these rumors of flying for AS originating? Just curious.


It looks like they're originating from the same post that contained the fake news of Compass opening a GEG base. So I'd take that into consideration.


I’m not sure where this “fake news” idea is coming from. CP most certainly is hiring f/as in GEG: http://newton.newtonsoftware.com/career ... 20d9a20bf3
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
IPFreely
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 am

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:04 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
I’m not sure where this “fake news” idea is coming from. CP most certainly is hiring f/as in GEG: http://newton.newtonsoftware.com/career ... 20d9a20bf3


As was posted earlier, CP is interviewing candidates in GEG. If hired, according to the posting, they must relocate to a FA base. CP does not have a FA base in GEG and nowhere does it say they will have one in GEG anytime soon. Thus the title of the thread is "fake news".
 
Fantikerz
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:08 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:10 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
Since it's now somewhat clear that Compass isn't opening a GEG base, where are these rumors of flying for AS originating? Just curious.


It looks like they're originating from the same post that contained the fake news of Compass opening a GEG base. So I'd take that into consideration.


I’m not sure where this “fake news” idea is coming from. CP most certainly is hiring f/as in GEG: http://newton.newtonsoftware.com/career ... 20d9a20bf3


This is not for a GEG base - it's just an invitation-only informational session. This is even mentioned in the first paragraph of the posting. They are also hosting a pilot open house on the 10th in Spokane at the Airport Hilton Garden Inn.

Recruiting away from bases is common and nearly every regional airline does this. It's why you see Mesa in Seattle, Compass in Portland, Horizon in SoCal, etc.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14042
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:17 pm

IPFreely wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
I’m not sure where this “fake news” idea is coming from. CP most certainly is hiring f/as in GEG: http://newton.newtonsoftware.com/career ... 20d9a20bf3


As was posted earlier, CP is interviewing candidates in GEG. If hired, according to the posting, they must relocate to a FA base. CP does not have a FA base in GEG and nowhere does it say they will have one in GEG anytime soon. Thus the title of the thread is "fake news".


The posting doesn’t say anything about relocating to a base as far as I can see. It could well be out of base recruiting, but I haven’t seen any evidence of that one way or the other.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
IPFreely
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 am

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:08 am

Cubsrule wrote:
The posting doesn’t say anything about relocating to a base as far as I can see. It could well be out of base recruiting, but I haven’t seen any evidence of that one way or the other.


It’s one of the bullet points in the general requirements for the FA job:

Must be able to relocate to assigned domicile;
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14042
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:28 am

IPFreely wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
The posting doesn’t say anything about relocating to a base as far as I can see. It could well be out of base recruiting, but I haven’t seen any evidence of that one way or the other.


It’s one of the bullet points in the general requirements for the FA job:

Must be able to relocate to assigned domicile;


. . . Which says nothing about where that is. I think every pilot or f/a job posting I’ve ever read has said that. Why are they interviewing so much in the Pacific Northwest? It’s not like there are scads of people who need jobs in Seattle.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15461
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:12 am

Cubsrule wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
The posting doesn’t say anything about relocating to a base as far as I can see. It could well be out of base recruiting, but I haven’t seen any evidence of that one way or the other.


It’s one of the bullet points in the general requirements for the FA job:

Must be able to relocate to assigned domicile;


. . . Which says nothing about where that is. I think every pilot or f/a job posting I’ve ever read has said that. Why are they interviewing so much in the Pacific Northwest? It’s not like there are scads of people who need jobs in Seattle.


But doesn't that sort of imply, "Hey, you may need to move..." ?

I've never seen a bullet point on a job opening at an interview location say "Must be able to stay right here." ;)
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14042
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:35 am

EA CO AS wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

It’s one of the bullet points in the general requirements for the FA job:



. . . Which says nothing about where that is. I think every pilot or f/a job posting I’ve ever read has said that. Why are they interviewing so much in the Pacific Northwest? It’s not like there are scads of people who need jobs in Seattle.


But doesn't that sort of imply, "Hey, you may need to move..." ?

I've never seen a bullet point on a job opening at an interview location say "Must be able to stay right here." ;)


No, but most of us who work outside of the world of aviation - and even many of those who do - can't get bumped out of the city in which we work by someone with more seniority.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
IPFreely
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 am

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:41 am

EA CO AS wrote:
But doesn't that sort of imply, "Hey, you may need to move..." ?


It's more than implied since it says you have to relocate to a FA domicile, and GEG is not a FA domicile.
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3144
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:16 am

IPFreely wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
But doesn't that sort of imply, "Hey, you may need to move..." ?


It's more than implied since it says you have to relocate to a FA domicile, and GEG is not a FA domicile.


There is no requirement for FA's to live in base. Many commute, just like pilots.
From my cold, dead hands
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15461
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:41 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
But doesn't that sort of imply, "Hey, you may need to move..." ?


It's more than implied since it says you have to relocate to a FA domicile, and GEG is not a FA domicile.


There is no requirement for FA's to live in base. Many commute, just like pilots.


Absolutely, however when doing hiring events in non-domicile cities, every carrier also makes it clear that you must be willing to work from one of the various FA bases, as in "We don't have a FA base here..."
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
toobz
Posts: 849
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:33 am

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:42 am

EA is correct. Interviews are held in many cities that are not a base. You need to relocate or commute. It doesn't specifically say that but it kind of does...it's very typical in the airline biz.
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 9526
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:52 am

Cubsrule wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
The posting doesn’t say anything about relocating to a base as far as I can see. It could well be out of base recruiting, but I haven’t seen any evidence of that one way or the other.


It’s one of the bullet points in the general requirements for the FA job:

Must be able to relocate to assigned domicile;


. . . Which says nothing about where that is. I think every pilot or f/a job posting I’ve ever read has said that. Why are they interviewing so much in the Pacific Northwest? It’s not like there are scads of people who need jobs in Seattle.


Poaching QX employees?
-Dave


MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14042
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Compass F/A GEG base & AS flying rumors

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:46 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

It’s one of the bullet points in the general requirements for the FA job:



. . . Which says nothing about where that is. I think every pilot or f/a job posting I’ve ever read has said that. Why are they interviewing so much in the Pacific Northwest? It’s not like there are scads of people who need jobs in Seattle.


Poaching QX employees?


I think so, but why unless they anticipate a lot of SEA growth? Smelling blood in the water is one potential answer, but I’m not sure why wondering if it might be something else is “fake news.” As I pointed out upthread, commuting from GEG to any non-SEA CP base isn’t that easy.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos