Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Midwestindy

Re: Austin Texas Thread 2017

Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:45 pm

NZ321 wrote:
To be honest I am surprised that AS / VX or F9 or B6 haven't taken the opportunity already. I would have thought AUS was prime picking now. I guess we shall see in the short term as things are picking up.

I guess AS/VX would be in an odd position setting up a large operation in AUS, with DAL up the road, but F9 already has a focus city in AUS.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

khowaga

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:41 pm

jplatts wrote:
Will Southwest ever add nonstop service to RDU from AUS? The Research Triangle and Greater Austin are both major hi-tech hubs, and some of the hi-tech companies that have a presence in Greater Austin also have a presence in the Research Triangle. Even though Delta does have a focus city at RDU along with RDU-AUS nonstop service, Southwest Airlines still does have significant market share at RDU. Southwest also does have nonstop service to RDU from DAL and HOU, and Southwest does have nonstop service from AUS to SJC and other hi-tech hubs.

WN is kind of conservative about adding new routes out of AUS. The only one I can think of that’s been launched recently that wasn’t in direct response to Allegiant is MSY.

CHI2DFW

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:52 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
NZ321 wrote:
To be honest I am surprised that AS / VX or F9 or B6 haven't taken the opportunity already. I would have thought AUS was prime picking now. I guess we shall see in the short term as things are picking up.

I guess AS/VX would be in an odd position setting up a large operation in AUS, with DAL up the road, but F9 already has a focus city in AUS.

AS/VX is limited to two gates at DAL, plus whatever’s they do at DFW. AUS offers more flight opportunities, but to where, when, and why? Also, AUS is limited on gates too, but not to the extent of DAL.

LH658

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:59 pm

If Korean Air can manage to send A330 from ICN to AUS 3 to 4 times a week, I feel like this flight will do good, all the diplomatic, vfr, students, tech traffic, and cargo. KE failed at IAH due to star presences and competition, reduced in DFW due to AA. KE and DL signed new agreement. I feel like over time the route will do well, this away to fill up there gap in Texas. I feel like it a investment route, Korean Air wants be one those airlines that started route first have it to themselves for sometime, then Austin it is.

masonh2479

Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:05 am

LH658 wrote:
If Korean Air can manage to send A330 from ICN to AUS 3 to 4 times a week, I feel like this flight will do good, all the diplomatic, vfr, students, tech traffic, and cargo. KE failed at IAH due to star presences and competition, reduced in DFW due to AA. KE and DL signed new agreement. I feel like over time the route will do well, this away to fill up there gap in Texas. I feel like it a investment route, Korean Air wants be one those airlines that started route first have it to themselves for sometime, then Austin it is.

I agree, Korean Air has the A332 that seats 218, it's Austin's best bet. Korean Air would certainly have the pacific market to themselves for quite some time. I wonder if they would consider dropping the Dallas flight and focus all their Texas traffic on Austin. I could see the flight becoming daily quite soon after it starts service, kinda like BA. Hopefully when a trans pacific flight comes, Austin will show that it has been long overdue.

LH658

Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:25 am

masonh2479 wrote:
LH658 wrote:

I agree, Korean Air has the A332 that seats 218, it's Austin's best bet. Korean Air would certainly have the pacific market to themselves for quite some time. I wonder if they would consider dropping the Dallas flight and focus all their Texas traffic on Austin. I could see the flight becoming daily quite soon after it starts service, kinda like BA. Hopefully when a trans pacific flight comes, Austin will show that it has been long overdue.

I don't think they would drop, Dallas i'm sure they get some DL feed thru there. Korea and DFW area has business ties as well.

Though DFW was investment for Korean Air, it was daily, but then when AA decided open the route the opened IAH, then I guess they lost contracts, traffic, plus oil went down, and then star competition kicked them out.

zakuivcustom

Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:36 am

Although KE reduced their DFW flight, I doubt they'll end it. DFW area has the largest Korean community in Texas (2nd largest in Southern US after ATL) and VFR alone can sustain flights to ICN (There's a reason why AA fly DFW-ICN but UA doesn't fly IAH-ICN).

Meanwhile, although on paper a few flights per week from AUS to ICN may work, the Korean community there is just not THAT big. It has grown for the past decade or so, but nowhere as big as some posters here make it to be. Hack, Austin doesn't even have a "Koreatown"-esque place where at least there's a block or two, or even just a strip mall, that has a clusters of Korean restaurants and/or Korean grocery stores (Doesn't have to be H-Mart, not even any mom and pop small Korean grocery).

LH658

Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:55 am

zakuivcustom wrote:

Although KE reduced their DFW flight, I doubt they'll end it. DFW area has the largest Korean community in Texas (2nd largest in Southern US after ATL) and VFR alone can sustain flights to ICN (There's a reason why AA fly DFW-ICN but UA doesn't fly IAH-ICN).

Meanwhile, although on paper a few flights per week from AUS to ICN may work, the Korean community there is just not THAT big. It has grown for the past decade or so, but nowhere as big as some posters here make it to be. Hack, Austin doesn't even have a "Koreatown"-esque place where at least there's a block or two, or even just a strip mall, that has a clusters of Korean restaurants and/or Korean grocery stores (Doesn't have to be H-Mart, not even any mom and pop small Korean grocery).

It not about about AUS to ICN, it about AUS - ICN - MNL, NRT, DEL, PEK, CAN, and etc. VFR, university students, cargo, diplomats (as Austin is the state capital of Texas and Seoul is capital of Korea), business pax, and etc. I don't know the numbers but, I think it can fill there Texas gap, as also as Delta has some feed through there, and KE and DL seem to finally shake hands. This to me will be a investment route, over time they will have the Asia traffic to there selves until new player comes in.

slowrambler

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:19 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
Hack, Austin doesn't even have a "Koreatown"-esque place where at least there's a block or two, or even just a strip mall, that has a clusters of Korean restaurants and/or Korean grocery stores (Doesn't have to be H-Mart, not even any mom and pop small Korean grocery).

Actually it does - I live a few blocks from it. (Justin and Lamar.)

tkoenig95

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:58 am

Could we potentially see a route started from HU ? The Chinese population in the greater Austin area outweighs most other Asian ethnicities, and a nonstop to PEK or PVG would be a good foot into the Asian market.

masonh2479

Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:02 am

tkoenig95 wrote:
Could we potentially see a route started from HU ? The Chinese population in the greater Austin area outweighs most other Asian ethnicities, and a nonstop to PEK or PVG would be a good foot into the Asian market.

If only we knew, it would be nice to be an insider and know this stuff...

zakuivcustom

Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:34 am

Mistake on my part. It's certainly a tiny strip mall, though :).

It not about about AUS to ICN, it about AUS - ICN - MNL, NRT, DEL, PEK, CAN, and etc. VFR, university students, cargo, diplomats (as Austin is the state capital of Texas and Seoul is capital of Korea), business pax, and etc. I don't know the numbers but, I think it can fill there Texas gap, as also as Delta has some feed through there, and KE and DL seem to finally shake hands. This to me will be a investment route, over time they will have the Asia traffic to there selves until new player comes in.

Umm...the consulate general of South Korea around that area is in Houston. (And btw, so is the Chinese one, the Japanese one, the Indian one, and a few other Asia-Pacific countries).

Student traffic is highly seasonal anyway. And if you really want to go there we should have TPAC flights from CMH (tOSU), STL (WUSL), IND (IU/Purdue), PIT (CMU), etc. (And this is just some similar size midwestern cities from the top of my head).

Quite frankly, about the only advantage when it comes to South Korean traffic to/from AUS vs a bunch of other similar size city is Samsung Semiconductor. But one company alone is usually not quite enough to start a non-stop long-haul flight (i.e. Nissan of America HQ at Franklin, TN, but no non-stop BNA-NRT. Toyota and their plants all over US, including one in San Antonio. No SAT or AUS-NRT either)

LH658

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:18 am

zakuivcustom wrote:

Mistake on my part. It's certainly a tiny strip mall, though :).

Umm...the consulate general of South Korea around that area is in Houston. (And btw, so is the Chinese one, the Japanese one, the Indian one, and a few other Asia-Pacific countries).

Student traffic is highly seasonal anyway. And if you really want to go there we should have TPAC flights from CMH (tOSU), STL (WUSL), IND (IU/Purdue), PIT (CMU), etc. (And this is just some similar size midwestern cities from the top of my head).

Quite frankly, about the only advantage when it comes to South Korean traffic to/from AUS vs a bunch of other similar size city is Samsung Semiconductor. But one company alone is usually not quite enough to start a non-stop long-haul flight (i.e. Nissan of America HQ at Franklin, TN, but no non-stop BNA-NRT. Toyota and their plants all over US, including one in San Antonio. No SAT or AUS-NRT either)

Austin is a different city, vs others you name. I made out several points what Austin can attract, I don't know all the data, though just assuming by looking from the outside.

I say Korean, cause there one Asian carriers has most destinations in the US, if they want to ambitious try new market, then Austin seems good. Austin has many more companies, and industry I am sure that attract business across the world. It not just about AUS to ICN. I am looking at AUS to ICN to XXX. Austin is growing, just like other cities like DFW and Houston.

LH658

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:21 am

zakuivcustom, your also missing the cargo factor, I don't know the cargo what going in and out of AUS, how much cargo can Asian carrier receive, especially on A330. Though cargo plays with this factor as well, if there enough cargo then the flight will run.

masonh2479

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:37 am

LH658 wrote:
zakuivcustom, your also missing the cargo factor, I don't know the cargo what going in and out of AUS, how much cargo can Asian carrier receive, especially on A330. Though cargo plays with this factor as well, if there enough cargo then the flight will run.

Cargo might be a big factor for a KAL flight, likely Samsung hq and AUS Samsung will be sending a lot of parts back and forth.

LH658

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:45 am

Not even just about AUS to ICN, it about AUS - ICN - XXX whether that DEL, BOM, CAN, PVG, NRT, KIX, SGN, and etc.

khowaga

Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:29 pm

LH658 wrote:
Not even just about AUS to ICN, it about AUS - ICN - XXX whether that DEL, BOM, CAN, PVG, NRT, KIX, SGN, and etc.

How much of that traffic is there, though? (Actual question, I’m asking for data.) I was under the impression that, excepting India traffic (a lot of which is routed on BA via LHR), the PDEW to Asia destinations other than ICN and NRT was fairly low.

zakuivcustom

Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:22 pm

How much of that traffic is there, though? (Actual question, I’m asking for data.) I was under the impression that, excepting India traffic (a lot of which is routed on BA via LHR), the PDEW to Asia destinations other than ICN and NRT was fairly low.

Now that you're talking about DEL/BOM, I also think that it's more likely to have one of the ME3 going into AUS first, taking that AUS<->India traffic, then any TPAC.

On the other hand, some number would be nice (I couldn't find them, I remember seeing them somewhere on this site before).

Austin is a different city, vs others you name. I made out several points what Austin can attract, I don't know all the data, though just assuming by looking from the outside.

I say Korean, cause there one Asian carriers has most destinations in the US, if they want to ambitious try new market, then Austin seems good. Austin has many more companies, and industry I am sure that attract business across the world. It not just about AUS to ICN. I am looking at AUS to ICN to XXX. Austin is growing, just like other cities like DFW and Houston.

Well, if you look at where KE fly in CONUS (So no HNL):
JFK - No need to explain. Largest Korean community in US over in Jersey
SFO - No need to explain either
LAX - K-Town is an actual neighborhood for a reason
ORD - Big Korean community here also
SEA - Again, big Korean community. Also now a DL hub.
IAD - NoVA has tons of Korean
LAS - Huge leisure destination (JAL used to fly here also, ended after 911).
ATL - DL hub, and again, fairly big Korean community
DFW - Fairly big Korean community. Even then they can't make this flight daily and opt for codeshare with AA.

No BOS service (Likely next route IMO), nor MSP (DL doesn't operate that either). I just don't see AUS up all that high on priority list.

P.S. Outside of UT, the Eastern Asian population in AUS is just nowhere near that of Houston and DFW. And a fair amount of eastern Asian in UT are from DFW or Houston to begin with.

khowaga

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:05 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:

Now that you're talking about DEL/BOM, I also think that it's more likely to have one of the ME3 going into AUS first, taking that AUS<->India traffic, then any TPAC.

Maybe in 10 years, after we’ve passed the 20 million mark. I don’t think any of them have aircraft that are the right size for AUS (maybe QR with the A350, but QR has other issues right now).

On the other hand, some number would be nice (I couldn't find them, I remember seeing them somewhere on this site before).

Yes, data! Let’s see if anyone has some. :highfive:

LH658

Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:05 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:

Well, if you look at where KE fly in CONUS (So no HNL):
JFK - No need to explain. Largest Korean community in US over in Jersey
SFO - No need to explain either
LAX - K-Town is an actual neighborhood fo
ORD - Big Korean community here also
SEA - Again, big Korean community. Also now a DL hub.
IAD - NoVA has tons of Korean
LAS - Huge leisure destination (JAL used to fly here also, ended after 911).
ATL - DL hub, and again, fairly big Korean community
DFW - Fairly big Korean community. Even then they can't make this flight daily and opt for codeshare with AA.

No BOS service (Likely next route IMO), nor MSP (DL doesn't operate that either). I just don't see AUS up all that high on priority list.

P.S. Outside of UT, the Eastern Asian population in AUS is just nowhere near that of Houston and DFW. And a fair amount of eastern Asian in UT are from DFW or Houston to begin with.[/quote
I think you taking this to the literally context, If you read above, I mentioned 3 to 4 times weekly flight on A330, if possible. I was making example that ICN can be another transit stop for people in Austin. Just like BA is option for them, for Middle East, Europe, Africa, and etc. People do fly Asian carriers to India, other than ME3. If you knew about, how KE started DFW, then you would give Austin the same shot.

KD5MDK

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:51 am

I would expect a TPAC flight based on the success of LHR, but NRT seems as plausible as ICN. Should be a lot of connecting traffic.

PVG would definitely be out of left field and would probably need an alliance partnership.

william

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:59 pm

So just finished flying Allegiant from the South Terminal. Kind of strange but interesting that food service is out of food truck on the security side. Nice feature to eat outside between terminal and apron, great views and pics of airport action. Very laid back atmosphere, and no stress compared to the main concourse. And on Allegiant you get what you paid for, no water or snacks unless you buy it and the flight left on time and got me to destination on time and nonstop. Is Spirit like Allegiant?

CarlosSi

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:07 pm

william wrote:
So just finished flying Allegiant from the South Terminal. Kind of strange but interesting that food service is out of food truck on the security side. Nice feature to eat outside between terminal and apron, great views and pics of airport action. Very laid back atmosphere, and no stress compared to the main concourse. And on Allegiant you get what you paid for, no water or snacks unless you buy it and the flight left on time and got me to destination on time and nonstop. Is Spirit like Allegiant?

You can also get moderately close to the aircraft so long as you’re not past a certain yellow line.

Models are both the same, Spirit’s planes are crunched at 28” pitch. Allegiant gives you more leg room at 30”, though average fares may be a bit different. That’s as far as I know in terms of product differences.

masonh2479

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:03 pm

Air Canada is upgrading their daily Toronto service to a mainline EMB 190 effective May 1, 2018.
http://www.austintexas.gov/news/air-can ... in-toronto

Midwestindy

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:25 pm

william wrote:
Is Spirit like Allegiant?

I'd say they are pretty different

Allegiant tends to focus on small-midsized airports, while Spirit tends to focus on larger airports
Allegiant doesn't offer connections and is mostly north-south flying, while Spirit offers a much more diverse network and connections
Obviously, they both operate fleets of mostly A320 family aircraft, however, Allegiant operates with an older fleet
Allegiant tends to offer fewer frequencies on most routes, compared to Spirit
Pitch is slightly different
From what I have seen Allegiant's base fare tends to be slightly more expensive than Spirit (although the difference in fares is not that drastic)
Allegiant is known for their MX issues, while Spirit is known for its Customer Service issues
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

LAXdude1023

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:34 pm

masonh2479 wrote:
LH658 wrote:

Drop a market that has 120 PDEW (DFW-ICN) in favor of one that is about 30 PDEW (AUS-ICN)? Good God why?
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

LH658

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:58 pm

^^^ Hey someone has to be adventurous, and try it out. Maybe in time it will grow. DFW to ICN was the same thing, when it first started, all about risk.

khowaga

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:45 pm

masonh2479 wrote:
Air Canada is upgrading their daily Toronto service to a mainline EMB 190 effective May 1, 2018.
http://www.austintexas.gov/news/air-can ... in-toronto

Ah, ya beat me to it. Nice to see this route evolving steadily, too (along with AUS-MEX). It would be nice to see one of them go to a more-than-daily frequency - maybe in a year or two if growth continues?

How is the flight timed for European connections at YYZ? It seems like the outbound arrives pretty late.

khowaga

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:54 pm

KD5MDK wrote:
I would expect a TPAC flight based on the success of LHR, but NRT seems as plausible as ICN. Should be a lot of connecting traffic.

PVG would definitely be out of left field and would probably need an alliance partnership.

The PDEW between AUS-LON was about 60 when BA launched the route - it was a gamble, but it wasn't such a huge a gamble. The question was whether BA would be able to pick up enough sustainable traffic bound for connecting destinations to make the flight sustainable, which obviously it did. AUS-Europe was around 200 PDEW at the time (this according to unsourced material in the thread about the initial announcement).

My guess is that any eventual TPAC service will be launched along the same parameters. Personally, I think we're still about 3-5 years away from seeing anything materialize, but ... well, obviously others have different opinions.

TEY1330

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:03 am

Anyone hear anything more about HA in AUS? I think a list of US cities unserved by Hawaiian and their potential market size came up during an investor presentation a year or two ago. Austin was on the list.

masonh2479

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:30 pm

TEY1330 wrote:
Anyone hear anything more about HA in AUS? I think a list of US cities unserved by Hawaiian and their potential market size came up during an investor presentation a year or two ago. Austin was on the list.

I have never heard anything about Hawaiian considering Austin as a future destination.

khowaga

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:53 pm

masonh2479 wrote:
TEY1330 wrote:

I have never heard anything about Hawaiian considering Austin as a future destination.

The only market HA serves on the mainland that’s outside the west coast is NYC. It’d be hard to imagine them chosing AUS as one of their first destinations in between. I’m curious to know how many cities were on that list?

KD5MDK

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:37 am

khowaga wrote:
The only market HA serves on the mainland that’s outside the west coast is NYC. It’d be hard to imagine them chosing AUS as one of their first destinations in between. I’m curious to know how many cities were on that list?

Is PHX a West Coast city for this metric?

khowaga

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:48 pm

KD5MDK wrote:
khowaga wrote:

Is PHX a West Coast city for this metric?

Yes! I have used my magical godlike powers to place Phoenix on an ocean. <joking>

Nah, I was reading fast and didn’t see it on the list of cities served. My bad.

Western727

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:21 pm

Can someone remind me when BA upgauges LHR to a 744 at AUS? I recall it was early 2018 (March?).

I'm trying to figure out if I should be at the gate when the first 744 arrives. What I struggle with is the ongoing (and much needed) expansion of the east pier. My AUS-MEX roundtrip last month on AM made me realize that gate 2, which appears to be 744-compatible given the four engine danger-zone paint on the tarmac, has practically zero visibility from the terminal, hence my question. Thanks in advance.
Jack @ AUS

Gregarious1

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:41 pm

Western727 wrote:
Can someone remind me when BA upgauges LHR to a 744 at AUS? I recall it was early 2018 (March?).

I'm trying to figure out if I should be at the gate when the first 744 arrives. What I struggle with is the ongoing (and much needed) expansion of the east pier. My AUS-MEX roundtrip last month on AM made me realize that gate 2, which appears to be 744-compatible given the four engine danger-zone paint on the tarmac, has practically zero visibility from the terminal, hence my question. Thanks in advance.
Gate 2, 3, 3A and 4 are all on "stinger gates". They are basically ridiculously long jetways that sit on the south side of the new terminal expansion construction area. You won't be able to see much of anything, if anything at all, from the terminal. I don't recommend arriving super early just to see the B747 because it won't be very visible.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Western727

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:15 pm

Gregarious1 wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Gate 2, 3, 3A and 4 are all on "stinger gates". They are basically ridiculously long jetways that sit on the south side of the new terminal expansion construction area. You won't be able to see much of anything, if anything at all, from the terminal. I don't recommend arriving super early just to see the B747 because it won't be very visible.

Indeed they're ridiculously long. Disembarking from 2 (the furthest out of the four stinger gates), I was slightly amused by the tongue-in-cheek posters inside the very-long jetway "cheering" pax on during the long walk. As my family neared the terminal end after disembarking from our AM E-190, I noticed the last one reading something along the lines of "congratulations on getting a bit of a workout; you just walked further than a football field". Granted, it's a good problem, because it means that AUS is growing with progressively improving eye candy at the airport (namely the heavies from BA and Condor).
Jack @ AUS

CobaltScar

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:43 pm

If b6 could secure enough gates, it would be the perfect mid america hub for them. I sure would like to see it as a crew base.

ty97

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:51 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
If b6 could secure enough gates, it would be the perfect mid america hub for them. I sure would like to see it as a crew base.

There were rumors when they first launched 10+ years ago that they might do this, but they have never expanded service and, in fact, have dropped a flight or two. It seems like any plans for a mid-hub at AUS aren't in their plans, but who knows.

khowaga

Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:44 pm

Gregarious1 wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Yeah, you'd be better off positioning yourself in one of the viewing areas to see it land or take off....

william

Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:33 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:

Apparently you have never been to Killeen Fort Hood area 60 miles north. Would love to know how many pax flying KE to Seoul are from Central Texas.
Last edited by william on Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

william

Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:36 pm

CobaltScar wrote:

Would not be possible, AUS is pretty gate tight right now. Unless AUS adds a concourse stretching south from the terminal per its masterplan.

zakuivcustom

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:34 pm

william wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

Apparently you have never been to Killeen Fort Hood area 60 miles north. Would love to know how many pax flying KE to Seoul are from Central Texas.

Let see...around 3000 Korean total in Killeen Area (Yes, I'm surprised how big it is), 8000 around Austin, and 4000 around SA. The whole Central TX I would say has about the same number of Koreans (~15k) compare to the whole Greater Houston area (~13-14k). On the other hand, DFW has close to ~27k Koreans :scratchchin:

Ultimately, I still don't see how the number will work out. KE can't even make IAH work, and you're talking about AUS requiring a much bigger catchment area to even start a TPAC flight.

cvgComair

Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:02 pm

Delta has added AUS-CVG beginning May 1, operating 6x/wk on a CR7. The route was cut in 2011, nice to see it back. It was probably the most glaring hole in DL's AUS network being the only DL hub not served.

HeeseokKoo

Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:26 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Let see...around 3000 Korean total in Killeen Area (Yes, I'm surprised how big it is), 8000 around Austin, and 4000 around SA. The whole Central TX I would say has about the same number of Koreans (~15k) compare to the whole Greater Houston area (~13-14k). On the other hand, DFW has close to ~27k Koreans :scratchchin:

Ultimately, I still don't see how the number will work out. KE can't even make IAH work, and you're talking about AUS requiring a much bigger catchment area to even start a TPAC flight.

Koreans in Killeen area don't travel much to Korea and not many Koreans visit them for many reasons. It is believed that there are 100k Koreans at DFW, 40k at IAH, and mere 8k+ at AUS, despite what the census bureau says. Koreans in Austin are in general rich, the number is growing, many fresh immigrants with still much connection with Korea, and would love to pay premium for a nonstop flight to Korea, although I'm not sure that number is enough.

zakuivcustom

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:34 pm

HeeseokKoo wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

Koreans in Killeen area don't travel much to Korea and not many Koreans visit them for many reasons. It is believed that there are 100k Koreans at DFW, 40k at IAH, and mere 8k+ at AUS, despite what the census bureau says. Koreans in Austin are in general rich, the number is growing, many fresh immigrants with still much connection with Korea, and would love to pay premium for a nonstop flight to Korea, although I'm not sure that number is enough.

Thanks for your insight on Koreans in Killeen area.

I won't denied that there are demand from AUS to East Asia in general. Whether it can support a non-stop direct flight is a totally different question. It took Houston many years to even get this many TPAC flights with much bigger demand (For years it's IAH-NRT on CO and nothing else).

24Whiskey

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:54 pm

cvgComair wrote:
Delta has added AUS-CVG beginning May 1, operating 6x/wk on a CR7. The route was cut in 2011, nice to see it back. It was probably the most glaring hole in DL's AUS network being the only DL hub not served.

Also worth noting that the outdoor patio lounge as part of the east terminal expansion will indeed be a Delta Sky Club. Haven’t found anything official online but there are banners at the Delta gates as of Thursday.

TransWorldOne

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:12 pm

24Whiskey wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

Also worth noting that the outdoor patio lounge as part of the east terminal expansion will indeed be a Delta Sky Club. Haven’t found anything official online but there are banners at the Delta gates as of Thursday.

The Delta SkyClub at AUS will indeed include a SkyDeck and will be the first non hub club location to have this feature, which I find very interesting. I was at AUS last week and the Delta staff I spoke with seemed convinced that a massive expansion is in the works. The addition of routes like SEA, RDU, BOS, and now CVG are all good signs. It would be nice if DL made AMS permanent, seasonally at least.
I can't help but wonder if DL is planning some kind of Mexico gateway in cooperation with JV partner AM. Either way, DL seems very interested in AUS at the moment and I'm excited to see what's next.

masonh2479

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:35 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
24Whiskey wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

The Delta SkyClub at AUS will indeed include a SkyDeck and will be the first non hub club location to have this feature, which I find very interesting. I was at AUS last week and the Delta staff I spoke with seemed convinced that a massive expansion is in the works. The addition of routes like SEA, RDU, BOS, and now CVG are all good signs. It would be nice if DL made AMS permanent, seasonally at least.
I can't help but wonder if DL is planning some kind of Mexico gateway in cooperation with JV partner AM. Either way, DL seems very interested in AUS at the moment and I'm excited to see what's next.

Do you happen to know what happened with the RDU upgrade from a CRJ9 to a 717 that was cancelled? I was really wondering how the BOS and RDU service is doing.

I saw the Delta Sky Club sign yesterday and can give you guys the details on it. The sign said coming in 2019, Delta Sky Club with a full bar, complementary food with regional menu selection, modern finishes, an outdoor sky deck with atrium view, 8,926 square feet and 195 seats, and high speed WiFi.

ADrum23

Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:13 pm

I wonder if DL would consider turning AUS into a full blown hub? I could see a hub the size of SLC eventually taking shape.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos