Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TonyBurr

RE: Why Do Passengers Ask For Complimentary Upgrades?

Tue Feb 26, 2002 2:19 am

UAPHLCS perhaps you need to go back and re-read. I did not say I did not want to give up certificates. I said I do get upgraded when I use them. The certificates are very good. My basic statement is that I have NEVER received a "call up" to be upgraded complimentary. Yes, I do get upgrades when I use the certificates, as I have stated all along.

I am sorry but I cannot agree from experience that UA emplyees, including pilots do not receive the upgrades before all revenue paxs have asked for them, using certifictaes, not "complimentary. Whether you want to believe it or not, it does happen.

travelin man

Tue Feb 26, 2002 2:27 am

I love it. "How dare someone ASK to be upgraded for 'free'?" Meanwhile, we'll upgrade the employees who haven't paid a dime.

I'll stop asking for 'free' upgrades when employees aren't upgraded ahead of paying customers. It never hurts to ask, I'm never angry about it if rejected, and I've been upgraded on United and American several times (occassionally I don't even have to ask). Most of the time I use certificates.

And UALPHLCS -- I've seen FA's in First, Pilots in First, and even Mechanics in First. They were all upgraded for "free". Why shouldn't customers be? It's definitely hypocritical, especially if you're worried about the "value" of First for those that actually paid to be there.

A330_DTW

Tue Feb 26, 2002 2:59 am

The airlines' most frequent fliers, the ones recognized by their Frequent Flier Club status aren't the ones who ask to be upgraded "for free". They've earned the upgrades and are rightfully entitled to them, when available.

Mechanics, Flight Attendants, Pilots, and yes! even other employees! are upgraded when available, too, and only after the frequent fliers. (This is a benefit of working for the airline and the employees have every right to sit in First Class.)

UALPHLCS

Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:16 am

As I've said before the only employees who travel F class before we do upgrades are pilots deadheading.

Yes if you don't ask for an upgrade and I've got seats available I will put Non-revs in those seats. I'm sorry I don't read minds and UA as well as most airlines don't make ESP a prerequistie for hiring. WE DO NOT load nonrevs before upgrades. Thats the quickest way to lose your job as a gate agent. You play w/ the airlines revenue passengers and your gong to get canned. However, if your not on the list for the upgrade i don't know you want it. Don't fault the airline or the employees for not reading your mind.
I knw what your going to say. "Can you research this and find out I am on the flight?" Short answer most flights we have niether the time to look it up nor the time to find the passenger after they've more than likely already boarded.
So you want the upgrade ask for it you'll get it. You want the complimentary upgrade wait until the the time arises that it happens to you. Like i've said they don't come often but they do happen.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

baec777

Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:34 am

When I fly, I never asks for any type upgrades ... seating in ECONOMY is nothing wrong with that, That is where I wants to be seated all the times unless the class is full, and it up to the airlines to upgrade me to Business/First.... That's My Complimentary Smile  Smile

baec

ual777contrail

Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:11 pm

i cannot beleive my eyes, tonyburr and others need to realize that employees do get first. when we travel non revenue we get what is left. united policy is not to fill first class or business on all flights. if a premier member is not willing to give up any certs to upgrade then employee's will receive those seats. we dont upgrade, or give certs, we get first if no other revenue passengers want to upgrade. who cares if you dont get first, or business, or a good coach seat. it is noones fault but your own, show up 2 hrs before your flight and you will get good seats. and first class isnt always available on some routes.if am employee gets first, give em a smile. employee's deserve first class after having to deal with their pilots and whinny premiers.

nonrevman

Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:58 pm

I'll stop asking for 'free' upgrades when employees aren't upgraded ahead of paying customers

How many bags have you loaded onto a plane?
How many hours did you have in the cockpit?
How many passengers did you check in?
How many cabin maintenence items did you fix?
How many times have you answered the in-flight call button?

Frequent fliers earn the upgrades because of thier business. Thier upgrades are not free. Employees work thier butts off 40+ hours a week just to have a chance of making a flight. Thier upgrades are not free either. Got it?

UALPHLCS

Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:59 pm

OMG we found the guy who designs Coach seats beac777 the only person in history to say they like Y!!!!!  Wow!

Just kidding.......

Now I agree that the type of passenger who asks for a free upgrade is a non-frequent flyer. They don't know any better, they listen to what they are told in the media, which is: "airlines always have seats to fill theres no harm in asking." Which while I agree is true, there is no harm in asking, our saying "no" to the misinformed only leads them to get bitter w/ the airline.
Procedures are in place to make upgrading as fair as possible (at least at UA) but we still can read minds and we still need to collect certs.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

timmay

Tue Feb 26, 2002 2:40 pm

SAA award complimentary domestic upgrades to Voyager members who have either Platinum, Gold or Silver status based on miles flown above the 25 000 miles threshold required for Silver. This allows you to choose when you woud like an upgrade and when you ask for one you don't feel cheap as it is an entitlement.

BA/Comair are very good with free upgrade and they seem to offer Gold members complimentary upgrades on an ad hoc basis.

Pilot1113

Tue Feb 26, 2002 3:26 pm

I'm still hoping my 30,000 miles on UAL will get me something.

Although, I did get an extra bag of "savory mix." It's the small things that make an airline great!

- Neil Harrison

jahckass

Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:08 pm

While flying on American i asked to upgrade SJC to LAX, i was willing to pay up to $100 for the upgrade, they said my ticket was not upgradable, regardless of how much i was willing to pay. I dont understand why they wouldnt be willing to accept an extra payment to fill an otherwise empty seat. There is not $100 worth of extra service you can possibly get on an hour flight.
My next trip was on HP SJC-LAS, they happily upgraded my seat to first for a mere $50. They made an extra $100 (my buddy and I) on seats that would have otherwise gone to non revs or empty. That makes more business sense, to me at least. So for my next trip, you can bet im going to check with HP first.

jahckass

Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:09 pm

oh, i might add that i would not consider asking for a free upgrade.

TG992

Tue Feb 26, 2002 4:41 pm

Jahckass, your post is a classic example of airline revenue protection.

Public demand dictates how much the price of an F class fare is set at. If everyone offered to pay a measly 100 bucks at checkin to sit in an empty F class seat and was accepted, how many people do you think would bother paying thousands for an F fare?

-

AC340

Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:19 pm

Travelling with my father, who is Aeroplan Elite for Air Canada I have been bumped up to Executive Class 3 times, even on tickets acquired with aeroplan points. Also, everytime I fly on Air Canada, is ask the gate agent to upgrade me for free. Usually I don't get one, but I have a couple of times. The way I figure it, if they are prepared to do it, I might as well ask. Often, I am rewarded for asking the agent for one and for treating them with respect, which seems to be rare among members of the traveling public today.

I do not understand the moral high horse some of you people are on saying that they would never ask for a free upgrade. Why not? If you can get one, who cares? Who loses?

jahckass

Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:00 pm

TG992-the thing is, how many people travelling in FC actually pay the FC fare? Back when i worked for an airline, the majority of the seats were filled with upgrades from FF miles or status. Also, the upgrades/ attempted upgrades were done within 30 mins of travel time, meaning that the FF's would have taken their upgrades already. By paying the full F/C fare, you garuntee yourself a seat no matter when you arrive, or how many FF are on the flight.

AC340 - for me asking for a free upgrade is not about morals, its about me being shy and attempting to avoid rejection.

ual777contrail

Wed Feb 27, 2002 12:57 am

jahkass

you need to realize that flying on hp and getting an upgrade shouldnt surprise anyone. hp is just surprised they have customers. the major airlines systrem of upgrading is far diffrent than the little guys. twa was the same way, if they had a passenger they were happy. if they had someone wanting to upgrade they charge what $50.00 and boom your up in first. it is funny when you talk to these people who are surprised a nonrev gets first before revenue. i just got first class from ORD-PEK full flt and all. man it was nice, like nonrev said we deserve first and business.

Lufthansa747

Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:27 am

I always ask for bulkheads and have been upgraded once (MCO-LGW on Virgin). Have also been upgraded on LH once because of status.

I usually ask for a better seat at gate nowadays - hope it will work at some point (I have status on LH/AA/KL). I usually get an exit row or bulkhead at check in though.

LH747
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium