Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
RTWin10
Topic Author
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:15 am

UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:06 pm

United's tribute to the "Queen of the Skies". Lots of great footage from the 70s of both the United and Continental 747s.

https://hub.united.com/a-fond-farewell- ... 66419.html
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 25042
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:47 pm

RTWin10 wrote:
United's tribute to the "Queen of the Skies". Lots of great footage from the 70s of both the United and Continental 747s.

https://hub.united.com/a-fond-farewell- ... 66419.html

:bigthumbsup:
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
CX747
Posts: 6443
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:54 am

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:55 pm

Shows how certain inanimate machines really win their way into the hearts and minds of folks.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 1710
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:02 pm

I'm sure I saw an ad the other day for a 1:200 scale diecast model of a United 744 with the main 'United' logo replaced with the original United Friendship graphic and it was billed as the farewell livery. Is this actually gonna happen ?
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 5571
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:10 pm

JannEejit wrote:
I'm sure I saw an ad the other day for a 1:200 scale diecast model of a United 744 with the main 'United' logo replaced with the original United Friendship graphic and it was billed as the farewell livery. Is this actually gonna happen ?

Yes :)



V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh
 
MBSDALHOU
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:05 am

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:26 pm

That’s a really nice video they created and the nod to Continental is quite nice! However that Friendship sticker on the 747 with the blue globe just looks wrong. It’s like 2 planes got squashed together and they called it good. I have to give them credit for effort but the execution is off. But great video!
 
MrBretz
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:13 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:26 pm

Thanks for the video. It is wonderful.
 
PI4EVER
Posts: 817
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 10:29 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:51 pm

Related articles mention the Nov 7 2017 farewell flight from SFO can be booked on united.com but it does not show on the schedule.
I assume the flight has already sold out and this flight possibly removed from the website display?
A related article even noted the upstairs would not be sold so everyone could visit this popular area during the flight.
Whine and kick furniture tantrum! I wanna' go........
I had the pleasure of my first UA 747 flight from SFO to HNL in the early 70's. Flew IAD-SFO-HNL on a DC-8 connecting to the '47.
I remember Trader Vic's themed food service and Primo beer served by F/A's in muumuus with Don Ho music playing in the background.
Thanks United for fond memories of memorable trips to that beautiful place.
watch what you want. you may get it.
 
User avatar
barney captain
Posts: 2377
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2001 5:47 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:04 pm

Video of her performance at SF Fleet Week -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlo9aFWLUzs
Southeast Of Disorder
 
ILNFlyer
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:34 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:22 pm

PI4EVER wrote:
Related articles mention the Nov 7 2017 farewell flight from SFO can be booked on united.com but it does not show on the schedule.
I assume the flight has already sold out and this flight possibly removed from the website display?
A related article even noted the upstairs would not be sold so everyone could visit this popular area during the flight.
Whine and kick furniture tantrum! I wanna' go........
I had the pleasure of my first UA 747 flight from SFO to HNL in the early 70's. Flew IAD-SFO-HNL on a DC-8 connecting to the '47.
I remember Trader Vic's themed food service and Primo beer served by F/A's in muumuus with Don Ho music playing in the background.
Thanks United for fond memories of memorable trips to that beautiful place.


I believe I read somewhere that the flight sold out in under 2 hours.
 
NDiesel
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:58 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:31 pm

Thanks for posting this! That last fly-by scene with the poignant music made me a little emotional... What a ship.
Delta MD-11 JFK-CDG - Upon sunrise I fell in love with aviation
 
Aptivaboy
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:32 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:54 pm

If only the 747-8 had come along just a few years earlier. Maybe, just maybe, the Queen would be flying in regular passenger service here in the USA for many more years.
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 5571
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:22 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
I'm sure I saw an ad the other day for a 1:200 scale diecast model of a United 744 with the main 'United' logo replaced with the original United Friendship graphic and it was billed as the farewell livery. Is this actually gonna happen ?

Yes :)



V/F

I've just seen that as well as N121UA, N118UA has received the same treatmeant:



V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh
 
User avatar
United787
Posts: 2943
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 12:20 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:28 pm

Love it! Farewell to the Queen, she will be missed. Glad to hear a familiar Chicago voice, Bill Kurtis.
 
User avatar
Super80Fan
Posts: 1622
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:49 am

I know a great tribute United (and Delta) can do for the 747... keep them in service. Everything else is hogwash.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 5571
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:57 am

Super80Fan wrote:
I know a great tribute United (and Delta) can do for the 747... keep them in service. Everything else is hogwash.

When would you propose they should retire them, presuming they can't remain in service forever?

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3907
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:03 am

Thanks for posting - that was wonderful - I even got a little misty-eyed watching it.
I had the pleasure of flying ORD/LAX on CO (as mentioned in the video) as my first flight on the Queen back in 1973. I remember going up the the observation deck in LAX to watch it depart on its way to HNL - very special memory.
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14179
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:04 am

Great video, love the nod to Continental.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
User avatar
Super80Fan
Posts: 1622
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:04 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
I know a great tribute United (and Delta) can do for the 747... keep them in service. Everything else is hogwash.

When would you propose they should retire them, presuming they can't remain in service forever?

V/F


Give them another 5-10 years of service, and order some 747-8's as their replacements. Not going to happen, but I can wish.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways
 
VC10er
Posts: 4283
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:20 am

UNITED=747 in my mind. It will be very sad not to see them or fly them anymore. I used to LOVE sitting in 1A in First and look out both windows on take off from SFO. AMAZING! Once I sat next to Michael Phelps on my way to Singapore...nice guy. And while I know they are far from great inside, United kept them so clean and sparkling from the outside. Especially the chrome around the engines.
When the woman at the end started crying, so did I.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 2177
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:22 am

"There's nothing as beautiful as a 747" - I absolutely totally agree.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
User avatar
ACCS300
Posts: 574
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:05 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:03 am

No United 747, past or present, looked better than those wearing the Saul Bass 'tulip' livery, so glad they had some footage in this video.
 
VC10er
Posts: 4283
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:09 am

ACCS300 wrote:
No United 747, past or present, looked better than those wearing the Saul Bass 'tulip' livery, so glad they had some footage in this video.


While a bit embarrassing I bought the beach towel with the Saul Bass and Battleship liveries... then bought a PERFECT model (metal) of a United 747-100 with Saul Bass livery for my office. It was a total act of regression, so I could recede back to when I was young and starting to make my way into important meetings around the world- I had a friend who worked at UA in their NYC sales office and he’d always get me into First Class...I was overcome by the luxury. Of course this was all I knew, it would be years before I flew on more luxurious airlines, but United 747s hold a very dear spot in my heart. (As do the 767s)
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
User avatar
BlueSky1976
Posts: 1892
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:18 am

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:59 am

It's about time the 747 went away. Good riddance. Out with the old, in with the new.
Proudly avoiding 737 MAX since 18.11.2020.
 
User avatar
barney captain
Posts: 2377
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2001 5:47 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:03 am

VC10er wrote:
ACCS300 wrote:
No United 747, past or present, looked better than those wearing the Saul Bass 'tulip' livery, so glad they had some footage in this video.


While a bit embarrassing I bought the beach towel with the Saul Bass and Battleship liveries... then bought a PERFECT model (metal) of a United 747-100 with Saul Bass livery for my office. It was a total act of regression, so I could recede back to when I was young and starting to make my way into important meetings around the world- I had a friend who worked at UA in their NYC sales office and he’d always get me into First Class...I was overcome by the luxury. Of course this was all I knew, it would be years before I flew on more luxurious airlines, but United 747s hold a very dear spot in my heart. (As do the 767s)


Not embarrassing at all, and a beautiful tribute with a wonderful backstory.

Thank you for sharing. :)

I get emotional every time I watch the farewell video. I have been lucky enough to ride in seat 1A, in the cockpit jumpseat, and to watch her final performance at the SF Fleet Week. I also remember as a ramp agent in PHX, seeing a Junebug green 744 parked in the blazing sun right next to where I worked. They were doing heat soak tests on the very first 744 built. It seems like yesterday, and The Queen - at least in my eyes - will never be surpassed.
Southeast Of Disorder
 
User avatar
barney captain
Posts: 2377
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2001 5:47 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:06 am

BlueSky1976 wrote:
It's about time the 747 went away. Good riddance. Out with the old, in with the new.


A completely classless comment.

Disgusting actually - especially given the venue.
Southeast Of Disorder
 
User avatar
LoganTheBogan
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:49 am

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:19 am

BlueSky1976 wrote:
It's about time the 747 went away. Good riddance. Out with the old, in with the new.

I agree. I never really liked the 747 and I'm glad it's being replaced with the 787, 777 and A350. I do understand the emotion behind it's retirement though. Congrats to United and Boeing for this wonderful achievement.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
 
jayunited
Posts: 3116
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:40 pm

ACCS300 wrote:
No United 747, past or present, looked better than those wearing the Saul Bass 'tulip' livery, so glad they had some footage in this video.


I liked the Saul Bass tulip livery as well for me my absolute favorite livery on the 747 was the battleship grey. When that aircraft was freshly painted not faded the battleship grey on the 747 was a great livery. I loved it.
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 1038
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:11 pm

I don't understand why so many don't like the 747. You have 3-4-3 seating in a wider cabin than a 777, which also has 3-4-3 seating.
 
friendlyskies22
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:30 pm

No UA 744 to an aviation museum?
.
Sad...........
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 1710
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:50 pm

Watched and listened as one flew over my head in the cruise this morning just slightly south west of GLA in Scotland enroute from San Francisco to Frankfurt. Moments later I listened as a Virgin Atlantic's G-VROM, took off from GLA, a mile away, bound for Florida. It'll be sad when these days are over.
 
nitepilot79
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:10 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:11 pm

At least we will have memories of the days when airplanes didn't look like something out of an '80s spoof flick.
 
Flighty
Posts: 9963
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:07 am

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:34 pm

United would be smart to circulate this to the general public as much as possible.

The romance of travel and the cultural impact of the 747 are key to United branding. It is like, you know, Bentley's racing history in the 1920s. This "DNA" affects brand attractiveness and loyalty today.

United operated 747 globally for many years, affecting many lives. To me that is the essence of the United brand. It's not only about us av geeks.
 
workhorse
Posts: 849
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:35 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:30 pm

I would happily jump on this bandwagon of collective emotion and celebration if it wasn't for what these iconic jumbos are replaced with. The movie is nice but the thought about the boring sardine cans that are now going to fly UA's most prestigious routes kind of spoils the pleasure.
 
Falcon Flyer
Posts: 1150
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2000 12:10 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:23 pm

Any details on the rumored employee flights at LAX 10/16-17?
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.
 
nitepilot79
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:10 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:27 am

Flighty wrote:
United would be smart to circulate this to the general public as much as possible.

The romance of travel and the cultural impact of the 747 are key to United branding. It is like, you know, Bentley's racing history in the 1920s. This "DNA" affects brand attractiveness and loyalty today.

United operated 747 globally for many years, affecting many lives. To me that is the essence of the United brand. It's not only about us av geeks.


Getting tougher and tougher to be a purist, but not so much at all when it comes to brand, just the airplane. Personally speaking.
 
tpaewr
Posts: 724
Joined: Sat May 19, 2001 9:01 am

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:00 pm

BlueSky1976 wrote:
It's about time the 747 went away. Good riddance. Out with the old, in with the new.


Do you also go to funerals and talk sh*t about the person that has pasted away in front of their family?
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:32 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
I'm sure I saw an ad the other day for a 1:200 scale diecast model of a United 744 with the main 'United' logo replaced with the original United Friendship graphic and it was billed as the farewell livery. Is this actually gonna happen ?

Yes :)



V/F

I've just seen that as well as N121UA, N118UA has received the same treatmeant:



V/F


One thing about this however...historically it's inaccurate because when UA introduced the 747, that was not the livery...it was (as shown in one frame of the EXCELLENT video) the livery with the thin red strip and just "United" titling...the "747 Friend Ship" with the 4 stars came later along with the broader red stripe, known to many as the "Stars & Bars" livery.

And yes, the nod to CO was excellent...flew MANY of those as my dad worked for CO back then when we lived in CHI; just wish I remembered it all better (I was quite young).
Try a Little VC-10derness
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:35 pm

PI4EVER wrote:
I remember Trader Vic's themed food service and Primo beer served by F/A's in muumuus with Don Ho music playing in the background.
Thanks United for fond memories of memorable trips to that beautiful place.


CO's 747 flights ORD-LAX-HNL were catered by Don the Beachcomber...if only I remembered it all better. And I remember too the UA 747 Royal Hawaiian flights, as you said with the female FA's in the muumuu's and the guys in white pants and aloha shirts. Man, those were the days.
Try a Little VC-10derness
 
User avatar
PPVLC
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 12:07 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:14 pm

BlueSky1976 wrote:
It's about time the 747 went away. Good riddance. Out with the old, in with the new.



You're not cool, sir, no you're not.
Cabin crew L188 707 727 737 767 A300 DC10 MD11 777 747
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 5571
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:03 pm

cathay747 wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
Yes :)



V/F

I've just seen that as well as N121UA, N118UA has received the same treatmeant:



V/F


One thing about this however...historically it's inaccurate because when UA introduced the 747, that was not the livery...it was (as shown in one frame of the EXCELLENT video) the livery with the thin red strip and just "United" titling...the "747 Friend Ship" with the 4 stars came later along with the broader red stripe, known to many as the "Stars & Bars" livery.

I imagine the intention wasn't so much about showing the original titles as showing the 747 Friend Ship titles.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh
 
User avatar
787fan8
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 8:05 pm

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:52 pm

It's always sad to see the Queen retired, regardless of what airline it is.

Seeing United retire their 747's makes me dread the upcoming retirement of Delta's 747's even more.
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3907
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: UA video - A fond farewell to the Boeing 747

Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:11 pm

cathay747 wrote:
PI4EVER wrote:
I remember Trader Vic's themed food service and Primo beer served by F/A's in muumuus with Don Ho music playing in the background.
Thanks United for fond memories of memorable trips to that beautiful place.


CO's 747 flights ORD-LAX-HNL were catered by Don the Beachcomber...if only I remembered it all better. And I remember too the UA 747 Royal Hawaiian flights, as you said with the female FA's in the muumuu's and the guys in white pants and aloha shirts. Man, those were the days.

And CO had the "coach pub" too. Those were the days, indeed.

My best memory of a flight on a UA 747 was ORD/HNL when I had enough miles for a first class upgrade and we sat upper deck. It was almost like having a private plane.
After my trip in coach on the same route a year before, I couldn't believe how much more quickly the nine plus hours seemed to go by upstairs.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos