MatthewTKS

Re: 2017 Small Community Air Svc Development Program

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:41 am

RJNUT wrote:
mhkansan wrote:
Poor Topeka (FOE). Their strategy: If you can't compete with the AA service at MHK, duplicate it! Topeka is too close to MCI with a myriad of options. Any 2x daily regional jet service to a hub will have a very hard time being successful there. United was a total flop, they lasted only as long as the revenue guarantee and left. United should come to MHK, with the military base and K-State right there, and a low percentage of local traffic being retained. MHK is closer to Topeka than MCI is.

Kansas is now full of regional jet cities. Once, only Wichita had network airline service. Now you can hop on an AA or UA jet in MHK, GCK, HYS, SLN, or LBL. Maybe soon DDC and GBD will join that list, though I very much doubt Great Bend will ever get airline service again.

UA got off to a rough start cancelling the originator and late inbound repeatedly. It never got a chance due to reliability issues.

I certainly agree that cancellations were a real problem for the UA service in 2014 but the other issue is that the twice daily flights went into ORD. No one west of FOE needed these flights because of their availability on AA from MHK and numerous daily flights were available into ORD/MDW out of MCI on AA, UA and WN. The service might have lasted longer if it wasn't into a market already served by multiple airlines at the other two area airports. That made no sense. UA into DEN or even IAH would have made more sense.

SyracuseAvGeek

Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:47 pm

SYR has been successful in getting the airlines attention, the airport said "United has indicated it is willing to provide the service, but only if it receives a revenue guarantee to reduce its financial risk, she said."

Here is the link to the story: http://www.syracuse.com/business-news/i ... enver.html
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

dc10lover

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:24 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
East Wenatchee, Washington
Applying for $750,000 grant funding along with $401,000 community funding to aid with start-up cost offset, fee waivers, marketing support and revenue guarantee of new air service link to SF Bay area on Skywest Airlines under United Express banner.

Pasco, Seattle & Spokane have non - stop service to San Francisco. I still doubt Wenatchee will be successful. It's always sad when it doesn't work out and end up with more tax dollars down the drain.

Then I guess by your standard, airlines should never add new routes because it might be sad when it doesn't work out. Who are you to say that EAT-SFO wouldn't work out. I'm familiar with the area. There is a lot of potential tourist draw in that area - Lake Chelan, wineries, Methow Valley, etc.

There are many other way better places for tourists to visit. It's all wishful thinking.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

BoeingGuy

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:55 am

dc10lover wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
Applying for $750,000 grant funding along with $401,000 community funding to aid with start-up cost offset, fee waivers, marketing support and revenue guarantee of new air service link to SF Bay area on Skywest Airlines under United Express banner.

Pasco, Seattle & Spokane have non - stop service to San Francisco. I still doubt Wenatchee will be successful. It's always sad when it doesn't work out and end up with more tax dollars down the drain.

Then I guess by your standard, airlines should never add new routes because it might be sad when it doesn't work out. Who are you to say that EAT-SFO wouldn't work out. I'm familiar with the area. There is a lot of potential tourist draw in that area - Lake Chelan, wineries, Methow Valley, etc.

There are many other way better places for tourists to visit. It's all wishful thinking.

Sure. You’re obviously the expert on tourist more than the rest of us. (BTW, I’m personally a very avid adventure traveler who enjoys spending my free time studying and researching travel places, so do have reasonable knowledge on this topic.)

You tell me what travel destinations would have money better spent? BTW, do you even know anything about the area in question?

dc10lover

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:00 pm

BatonOps wrote:
When are the grants going to be awarded?

Wondering the same. Maybe by Summer 2018?
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

dc10lover

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:10 am

Any updates?

aaway

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:05 am

dc10lover wrote:
Any updates?

https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=DOT-OST-2017-0155

Click the link above. You can sign up for email alerts for actions pertaining to the docket.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

FATFlyer

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:55 pm

Members of Congress are being notified if a community in their district/state is receiving a SCASD grant this year. That means some communities are already announcing they are receiving funding for their proposal.

The official DOT announcement of all recipients should be out soon.

The below is not the official list of cities receiving grants this year. This is only a partial list of the cities that have leaked out so far from media reports and Congressional press releases in the last two days:

Bakersfield, California
Seeks $500,000 along with $170,000 community pledge to fund minimum revenue guarantee to reestablish nonstop service to Texas, to either DFW or IAH hubs.
http://www.bakersfield.com/news/meadows-field-may-resume-flights-to-texas/article_ccadb982-855c-11e8-9470-3b9cc01f7adf.html
http://kevinmccarthy.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/congressman-kevin-mccarthy-announces-500000-to-expand-services-at

Roanoke, Virginia
Request federal award of $750,000 combined with $1,1mil in local cash and in-kind contributions to serve as fee waiver, travel bank, marketing support and revenue guarantee to establish new air service links to major national hubs at DEN, DFW or DTW.
http://www.roanoke.com/business/news/roanoke/roanoke-airport-lands-federal-grant-needed-to-expand-service-westward/article_cc61327a-4df2-5998-8d4c-536ac5fe4481.html

http://www.heraldnet.com/business/wenatchee-airport-lands-grant-for-san-francisco-flight/
http://www.cantwell.senate.gov/news/press-releases/cantwell-murray-announce-investment-to-establish-nonstop-air-service-from-wenatchee-to-san-francisco

Brownsville, Texas
Applying for $250,000 grant with $40,000 local contribution to deigns and implement regional media marketing campaign.
https://www.valleymorningstar.com/news/local_news/airport-receives-marketing-funds/article_9d1673e3-7b2f-5413-867a-c40d4fcc8c79.html

Elmira, New York
Desires $275,000 federal grant supported by $156,000 in local cash and in-kind contributions for regional media marketing support of recently announced new United service to EWR and for incumbent services.
http://www.stargazette.com/story/news/local/2018/07/10/elmira-gets-federal-funds-promote-new-newark-air-service/771479002/
http://www.schumer.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/schumer-announces-275000-in-federal-funding-for-elmira-corning-regional-airport-in-southern-tier-senator-says-new-funding-will-support-airport-operations-and-marketing-efforts-

Again this is not the full list of cities receiving grants this year. This is only a list of the cities that have leaked out so far.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

FATFlyer

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:16 pm

The full list of grants is now out at:
http://www.regulations.gov/document?D=DOT-OST-2017-0155-0123

The full list of cities is:
Fairbanks, AK;
Bakersfield, CA;
Augusta, GA;
Sioux City, IA;
Shreveport, LA;
Lincoln, NE;
Farmington, NM;
Elmira, NY;
Tulsa, OK;
Florence, SC;
Rapid City, SD;
Brownsville, TX;
Roanoke, VA;
Wenatchee, WA;
La Crosse, WI;
Casper, WY.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

freakyrat

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:36 pm

capitalflyer wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
Gary, Indiana
Seeks $750,000 grant award with $361,000 local contribution for revenue guarantee, fee waivers and marketing support for new lowcost air service link to DEN on F9 or DFW on NK.

Will F9 abandoning SBN affect this application? I could totally see them taking the SCASD money, hanging around for a year, and then pulling service just like SBN. NK should have upper hand.

F9 only had 3 slow months at SBN during the 9 month period they were there nonetheless they flew close to a totall of 44,000 passengers enplaning and deplaning at SBN on 189 flights with a 133 seat Airbus A319 aircraft 3 times a week. They also didn't take all of the SCASD money as it was eventually used to start successful service on United to Newark. Most of F9's SBN passengers were making connections in DEN and with F9 abandoning their DEN hub and going ULCC didn't lend itself to that type of service from SBN. DEN service on United would still be vialble from SBN with either 2 E175 flights a day or even a single mainline Airbus A319. Daily service on United would gross more than the 4-5 million that F9 took in. As far as DFW goes.

I also wonder if NK comes in if they will dilute SBN's service on American to DFW which is starting off quite well.

alasizon

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:49 pm

SHV is the only one that surprises me. I disagree with Tulsa needing the funds to support a Pac NW link that they specifically mention will help connect them with SFO which is a roundabout way to get there.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

sldispatcher

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:46 pm

Sorry, but I believe that marketing $ is a waste of taxpayer dollars. Either use $ to initiate new service or don’t give it out. I live in SHV and there are already billboards up.

We have a tax in place to support new service..that’s how the SHV to Charlotte twice daily on American started up.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos