LAXintl
Topic Author

KE CEO arrested on misappropriation of company funds.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Police issued an arrest warrant for the chief of Korea's top airline Monday for his alleged misappropriation of company funds.
Cho Yang-ho, CEO of Korean Air Lines and chairman of Hanjin Group, is under investigation over suspicion that he siphoned off 3 billion won ($2.65 million) from company coffers to pay for the remodeling of his house in central Seoul between May 2013 and August 2014.
He faces charges of breach of trust. When he was questioned last month, he denied any wrongdoing, saying he had no knowledge of the misappropriation.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/nationa ... 51315.html

=

Another high profile chaebol executive caught up in financial hanky panky
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Dominion301

Re: KE CEO arrested on misappropriation of company funds.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:48 pm

This time, assuming the allegations are true, was a lot more covert than nut rage: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32840725

From what I understand, this time it's Dad in hot water.

Cho, also known as Cho Hyun-ah, was a vice-president of Korean Air. She is also the daughter of the company's chairman.

Apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

Can't fault KE too much though...they are a CSeries customer. :duck:

mercure1

Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:45 pm

Korean law enforcement seems to be quite busy these days rooting out corruption in the nations chaebols.
mercure f-wtcc

ikolkyo

Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:53 pm

I’ll never undestand why already high paid CEOs do this garbage.
Last edited by ikolkyo on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bzcat

Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:00 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Korean law enforcement seems to be quite busy these days rooting out corruption in the nations chaebols.

The new liberal govt is not as sympathetic to corporate malfeasance as the previous right wing govt

Polot

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:34 pm

ikolkyo wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if this kind of thing was common for decades in chaebols and expected as a perk of the job. Attitudes towards it in South Korea are changing however.

VolvoBus

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:57 am

Polot wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if this kind of thing was common for decades in chaebols and expected as a perk of the job. Attitudes towards it in South Korea are changing however.

While not trying to pretend that this doesn't happen elsewhere, I wonder whether this is part of a number of Asian economies 'growing up'. They are dominated by a handful of conglomerates that are essentially family controlled. Because of the speed of their growth,they are run 'hands on' by the early generations, who regard them in much the same way as a sole trader, that the company's money is theirs. Also, I suspect that external corporate oversight is less developed than elsewhere.

mabadia71

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:27 pm

The Seoul District Prosecutor's Office has denied the request for arrest of the KE CEO, and former Chairman of ill fated korean shipping company, Haijin Shipping.
http://worldmaritimenews.com/archives/232731/update-request-for-arrest-of-hanjin-groups-chair-denied/
mabadia71

jnev3289

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:48 pm

How do you spend $2.65 million just on "renovations"? You could buy a ridiculously nice house for that amount of money

LAX772LR

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:14 pm

ikolkyo wrote:

Because for people with that mentality, it's not about the having, it's about the getting. That's why the world is never enough.

jnev3289 wrote:
How do you spend $2.65 million just on "renovations"? You could buy a ridiculously nice house for that amount of money

Pretty sure that your idea of a "ridiculously nice house" and his, are quite different....

Heck, that kind of disparity can even be seen in the upper middle class:
you ask someone in SFO what their idea of a $2million house is, versus someone in the likes of BTR (where you can get a 4 bedroom new-build, pool, and a quarter acre of land for less than $300K), and you're going to receive two VASTLY different answers.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

jnev3289

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:40 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:

Because for people with that mentality, it's not about the having, it's about the getting. That's why the world is never enough.

jnev3289 wrote:

Pretty sure that your idea of a "ridiculously nice house" and his, are quite different....

you ask someone in SFO what their idea of a $2million house is, versus someone in the likes of BTR (where you can get a 4 bedroom new-build, pool, and a quarter acre of land for less than $300K), and you're going to receive two VASTLY different answers.

Fair enough, but even then there is a tipping point. Even in San Francisco, the most expensive house on Zillow is $14 million. most of the price of these houses is the land value anyways. Building structures isn't really all that expensive relatively.

F27500

Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:35 pm

Hmm another shady Korean ?

LAX772LR

Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:56 am

jnev3289 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:

Fair enough, but even then there is a tipping point. Even in San Francisco, the most expensive house on Zillow is $14 million. most of the price of these houses is the land value anyways. Building structures isn't really all that expensive relatively.

Sure, but how do you know that his "renovations" didn't require additional land acquisition? That'd be the first question to come to mind.

Sticking with the above hypothetical: you can add a large poolside guesthouse in BTR for $20-30K, whereas you could easily spend a million+ adding the exact same structure in SFO.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Aesma

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:24 am

A structure might not be expensive, but a structure filled with the nicest materials like marble, rare woods, designer furniture, high technology (giant OLED screens), that can get expensive quick.

Or maybe digging a large extension under the garden like is done in London.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Slash787

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:26 am

ikolkyo wrote:

They are much more greedy, which is sad.

ikramerica

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:02 pm

Slash787 wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:

They are much more greedy, which is sad.

The same reason highly paid Hollywood execs demand freebies from everyone and order their assistants to pirate $200 software rather than pay for it. Greed and entitlement.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

AASAP777

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:06 pm

Is he Princess Peanut's dad?
Bendiga Dios la pródiga tierra en que nací....God bless the prodigal land where I was born.
H O N D U R A S! Five star country...Un país de cinco estrellas.

Slash787

Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:26 pm

AASAP777 wrote:
Is he Princess Peanut's dad?

Yeah, like father like daughter

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos