Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
atal17
Topic Author
Posts: 447
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:56 am

Qatar Airways announces Penang effective 06FEB18

Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Schedules -

QR850 DOH0230 - 1430PEN 788 246

QR851 PEN2030 - 2320DOH 788 246

http://www.arabianaerospace.aero/qatar- ... enang.html

Flights are now available for sale.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4371
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Qatar Airways announces Penang effective 06FEB18

Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:20 am

An interesting move - PEN's current furthermost year-round destination is WUH, which is only 1,974 mi away.

PEN does not even have flights to BOM, CMB, PEK or PVG (despite its Chinese and Indian / Tamil connections).

That being said, this route has some potential - Penang has the highest GDP per capita among all Malaysian states, and is seeing tourism development (CNN named it the second top tourist destination for 2017).

Cheers,

C.
 
NichCage
Posts: 916
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Re: Qatar Airways announces Penang effective 06FEB18

Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:36 am

Nice to see yet another route by Qatar Airways. This crisis is still going on yet there expanding. They gotta put the extra aircraft from the boycotted countries somewhere else in the meantime.
 
bunumuring
Posts: 2531
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Re: Qatar Airways announces Penang effective 06FEB18

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:47 am

Hey guys,
Penang is my favourite Asian 'island' destination, especially compared to Phuket. While I would never use Qatar Airways to get to it, with me living in Australia, its great to see the island getting some attention.
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!
 
tphuang
Posts: 5071
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Qatar Airways announces Penang effective 06FEB18

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:54 am

This sounds completely crazy to me. Has to be one of the smallest airports that QR will serve. I don't even know how many people outside of the region knows about Penang. most of the visitors there are from Singapore and HK. I don't see how QR is going to fill seats.
 
ahj2000
Posts: 1227
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: Qatar Airways announces Penang effective 06FEB18

Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:04 pm

tphuang wrote:
This sounds completely crazy to me. Has to be one of the smallest airports that QR will serve. I don't even know how many people outside of the region knows about Penang. most of the visitors there are from Singapore and HK. I don't see how QR is going to fill seats.

QR serves quite a few Southeast Asian tourist destinations from Doha. I imagine with the combination of wealthy vacationers from Europe and the GCC (also from the US-had a neighbor do Chang Mai via London and Doha) and probably some migrant workers to help fill the back this route will be fine, if not expanded.
-Andrés Juánez
 
tphuang
Posts: 5071
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Qatar Airways announces Penang effective 06FEB18

Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:24 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
This sounds completely crazy to me. Has to be one of the smallest airports that QR will serve. I don't even know how many people outside of the region knows about Penang. most of the visitors there are from Singapore and HK. I don't see how QR is going to fill seats.

QR serves quite a few Southeast Asian tourist destinations from Doha. I imagine with the combination of wealthy vacationers from Europe and the GCC (also from the US-had a neighbor do Chang Mai via London and Doha) and probably some migrant workers to help fill the back this route will be fine, if not expanded.


Chiang mai has a lot to tourists not from the surrounding countries. Penang has very few.

I am really curious how many people even know about the region. The only travel show that ever mentioned it was when bourdain went to eat laksa outside of kek lok si.

You can see that just by the hotel prices in the area. Also, Penang is relatively wealthy area in the region, so it's not a source of migrant workers.
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 3723
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: Qatar Airways announces Penang effective 06FEB18

Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:00 pm

tphuang wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
This sounds completely crazy to me. Has to be one of the smallest airports that QR will serve. I don't even know how many people outside of the region knows about Penang. most of the visitors there are from Singapore and HK. I don't see how QR is going to fill seats.

QR serves quite a few Southeast Asian tourist destinations from Doha. I imagine with the combination of wealthy vacationers from Europe and the GCC (also from the US-had a neighbor do Chang Mai via London and Doha) and probably some migrant workers to help fill the back this route will be fine, if not expanded.


Chiang mai has a lot to tourists not from the surrounding countries. Penang has very few.

I am really curious how many people even know about the region. The only travel show that ever mentioned it was when bourdain went to eat laksa outside of kek lok si.

You can see that just by the hotel prices in the area. Also, Penang is relatively wealthy area in the region, so it's not a source of migrant workers.


I am American and have been to Penang twice, FWIW

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos