Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jumbojet
Topic Author

Delta: International Main Cabin dining reinvented

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:53 pm

Delta once again out in front of the pack and raising the bar this time for economy passengers on long haul international flights. How long until UA and AA follow, if at all?

International Main Cabin dining reinvented: Introducing new serviceware, refreshed meals and menu cards

This is one of Delta’s biggest investments in the Main Cabin dining experience to date,” said Lisa Bauer, Vice President — On-Board Services. “Our goal is to truly recreate the experience our customers would have at their favorite restaurant at 30,000 feet, taking into account what menu items naturally complement one another, the service behind the offerings and the overall presentation.”
Enhancements will begin rolling out in November and will continue to expand into 2018.
In November, the airline will be launching customer experience menu cards, which will include information on timing for each service and details on the inflight food and beverage offerings. In December, the airline will launch new upgraded cutlery in the Main Cabin

Full article here:

http://www.pressreleasepoint.com/intern ... s-and-menu

TerminalD

Re: Delta: International Main Cabin dining reinvented

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:17 pm

OMFG this is groundbreaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"In November, the airline will be launching customer experience menu cards, which will include information on timing for each service and details on the inflight food and beverage offerings. In December, the airline will launch new upgraded cutlery in the Main Cabin."

Paper freaking cards that say the order of the items to be served? This is shock and awe people. Upgraded cutlery!?!?!? I need my blood pressure medicine.

mcdu

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:21 pm

I think the big question is how long until DL shelves this program. Maybe if they dipped the cards in beef bouillon the passengers could eat them.

Good idea to upgrade the blankets. The current ones are thinner than paper and serve no useful function.

gatibosgru

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:26 pm

Cynicism aside, props to DL for thinking of us poor Y folk. Might not be the most groundbreaking change, but anything added to Y is a nice surprise.
Last edited by gatibosgru on Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@DadCelo

Austin787

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:30 pm

The key will be the onboard execution.

Our goal is to truly recreate the experience our customers would have at their favorite restaurant at 30,000 feet

Wow, that is a high bar. I don't know of anyone who would enjoy eating at a restaurant where the waiters/waitresses ask "chicken or pasta" then slam a tv dinner tray on the table.
Last edited by Austin787 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Polot

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:33 pm

Austin787 wrote:

:checkmark:

For example if the "customer experience menu cards" are just a card that they have in the seatback pocket outlining standard meal options for the month and generic times within the flight (i.e. 1 hr after takeoff, 1 hr before landing) when they will be served it is not going to "reinvent" international Main Cabin dining, it is just going to be one more thing in the seat back pocket most people won't read especially after multiple flights.
Last edited by Polot on Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N415XJ

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:33 pm

I'm happy to see menu cards being presented a la Air France. Seeing a description of the menu items is helpful, as "chicken or pasta" doesn't really tell me what the dish will taste like, and for some reason I always feel a bit silly asking the flight attendant to describe each.

It seems like everyone missed this line:

Continuing the expansion, the airline will launch upgraded meals and new serviceware on long-haul international flights in mid-2018

so it's not just new cutlery and menu cards being added. It'll be interesting to see how much better the new meals will be. When I last flew Delta internationally back in 2014 (DTW-AMS and return), the meals weren't bad, but incredibly mediocre. I don't expect Business or First class level dining in Economy, but food of similar quality and taste to Emirates or even Air France would be welcomed.

SJL

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:41 pm

A reinvention would be dine-on-demand or having a restaurant chain like McDonalds provide branded catering for example. To me this sounds like polishing the existing concept, which is great but not exactly thrilling.

UAL777UK

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:45 pm

Yowzer!! New menu cards and cutlery. Well they have my business! (sarcasm button off!) Seriously man, you would have thought Delta reinvented the wheel the way you go on!

I do not think UA and AA are going to be quaking in their boots with this announcement.

VFRonTop

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:51 pm

Austin787 wrote:

Our goal is to truly recreate the experience our customers would have at their favorite restaurant at 30,000 feet

Wow, that is a high bar. I don't know of anyone who would enjoy eating at a restaurant where the waiters/waitresses ask "chicken or pasta" then slam a tv dinner tray on the table.

It's worth remembering that McDonald's, Subway and Olive Garden are some of Americans "favourite restaurants", so the bar is only as high as you set it ;)

OA412

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:57 pm

While I agree that OP is a little overly enthusiastic about his favorite airline, please stick to the topic and cut out the personal attacks.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

pitbosflyer

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:00 pm

OA412 wrote:
While I agree that OP is a little overly enthusiastic about his favorite airline, please stick to the topic and cut out the personal attacks.

Very true. Although OP is right. Nice that someone is showing the lowly Economy some love. Of course chances of Delta over hyping this.....are pretty high.

"Lisa Bauer, vice president, on-board services said, 'This is one of Delta’s biggest investments in the main cabin dining experience to date.' " Over hype much.
A:320/21, 333, 343, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 763, 772 || MD80, MD90 || E:145, 170, 175, 190, 195 || CR200, 700, 900

FCAFLYBOY

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:04 pm

so basically, they are offering what Virgin Atlantic and other airlines have been doing for years - please - change the title, perhaps make it "re-invented for US carriers".This is most definitely NOT innovative or new, except for Delta, of course.

oldannyboy

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:07 pm

SJL wrote:
A reinvention would be dine-on-demand or having a restaurant chain like McDonalds provide branded catering for example. .

Please, no....Hell, no way!. You can't be serious. You can't even be calling a junk food outlet a 'restaurant'. Certainly not in my part of the world.
Don't start giving anyone bad ideas please...
US carriers service is already sitting at the very lower end of the spectrum with its 'walmartized" sad, colourless standardization, even without involving any junk food corporation....

SJL

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:08 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
SJL wrote:
A reinvention would be dine-on-demand or having a restaurant chain like McDonalds provide branded catering for example. .

Please, no....Hell, no way!. You can't be serious. You can't even be calling a junk food outlet a 'restaurant'. Certainly not in my part of the world.
Don't start giving anyone bad ideas please...
US carriers service is already sitting at the very lower end of the spectrum with its 'walmartized" sad, colourless standardization, even without involving any junk food corporation....

I’m definitely not serious, I’m not saying I or any other sane person would want that. But it would constitute a reinvention of in-flight dining! Just an example.

oldannyboy

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:14 pm

...." MAIN CABIN DINING REINVENTED "??? Seriously?!

While I guess it's all relative I wouldn't go half as far as that very bold claim... Perhaps they will improve a tad, but calling this a "re-invention" of the concept is a bit much... Considering where this is coming from especially..
Even the more generic European carriers have been offering menu cards and better food than that of the US3 for the longest of times. The menu cards that EK provides in Y (and the food, and even the choice probably...3 main courses on my last flight + a vegetarian option) are probably better than what some US carriers offer in J...

jumbojet
Topic Author

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:15 pm

OA412 wrote:

Thanks OA but the personal attacks don't really bother me. I know you have to keep things clean but in all honesty, I do deserve it sometimes.

That said, this definitely will force AA/UA to up their coach offerings. While I firmly believe that the execution is important, DL will be able to pull it off. OAL's not so much,.

downdata

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:20 pm

TerminalD wrote:

"In November, the airline will be launching customer experience menu cards, which will include information on timing for each service and details on the inflight food and beverage offerings. In December, the airline will launch new upgraded cutlery in the Main Cabin."

Paper freaking cards that say the order of the items to be served? This is shock and awe people. Upgraded cutlery!?!?!? I need my blood pressure medicine.

It is groundbreaking to see US carriers finally catching up to the bare minimums expected from other international airlines

pitbosflyer

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:23 pm

jumbojet wrote:
That said, this definitely will force AA/UA to up their coach offerings. While I firmly believe that the execution is important, DL will be able to pull it off. OAL's not so much,.

I don't know Jumbo. With Delta adding more and more free meals to domestic. So far AA has only matched the service on JFK-LAXorSFO and UA said they have no plans to bring back free domestic economy meals. I'm not sure the other airlines will do much in response. Especially since BA have been ramping down meal quality and service. AA doesn't have the likes of VS and AF pushing them to improve.
A:320/21, 333, 343, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 763, 772 || MD80, MD90 || E:145, 170, 175, 190, 195 || CR200, 700, 900

Osubuckeyes

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:35 pm

Oh good hopefully the cutlery can actually cut the food they'll be serving, unlike currently. Also, pretty sure all my flights to Asia over the past few years have had menu cards on the seat upon boarding so not sure that's exactly new.

KLDC10

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:38 pm

Osubuckeyes wrote:
Oh good hopefully the cutlery can actually cut the food they'll be serving, unlike currently. Also, pretty sure all my flights to Asia over the past few years have had menu cards on the seat upon boarding so not sure that's exactly new.

If I'm correct; menu cards have been provided in Transpacific routes in Economy for some time. I guess specifically in terms of menus, this announcement means that Delta will be bringing Transatlantic routes up to that standard too.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300

CRMCPILOT31

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:44 pm

Why not make it an electronic menu using the PTVs instead of wasting paper and people damaging those menu cards.......
HONDURAS A PARADISE WORTH VISITING!!

pitbosflyer

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:53 pm

This recent NYT article seems to have been pretty heavily influenced by DL. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/16/busi ... ights.html

Sounds like they may soon make some sort of deal with Expedia and such to better promote added meal perks during booking.

Super80Fan

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:01 pm

I had to call out of work today, call up all my friends & family, and alert the media on this earth shaking news! This will go down in history as the most influential thing of the 21st century!

TerminalD wrote:

:D :D :D :D
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

panamair

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:03 pm

downdata wrote:
It is groundbreaking to see US carriers finally catching up to the bare minimums expected from other international airlines

Except Delta already offers more amenities in international Y than some other international airlines today:
- amenity pack (available on some carriers such as AF or VS but not LH or LX for example)
- choice of 3 main courses for the main meal service (most carriers only offer two)
- an extra mid-flight snack box on many westbound transatlantic flights in addition to the two meal services
- full-size water bottle for every Y pax (available on some Euro carriers but not all)

in addition to standard items such as hot towels, free alcoholic beverages, etc.

caverunner17

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:31 pm

My biggest issues with all eastbound TATL flights in Economy is how long the dinner service takes. Unless you're coming from the west coast, your actual flight time is between 5.5-8 hours. My last two TATL flights had the dinner service taking well over 2 hours, with my last one, DEN-FRA taking almost 3 hours. Given breakfast service is usually 90 minutes out from landing, that gives you 3-4 hours, at most of "sleep" time.

Although 3x drink carts is nice, as is a 2-3 course meal (crackers/cheese, meal, ice cream), I'd much rather have a rushed service that's done within 90 minutes of takeoff and have an extra hour or so to sleep. Westbound or TPAC? Take all the time you want.

usxguy

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:51 pm

Looks like someone at Delta flew Air Europa; who posts estimated time of services on the IFE (ie - time to meal service 1:20 or time to drink service 1:50, etc etc)
xx

crosswinds21

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:52 pm

caverunner17 wrote:
My biggest issues with all eastbound TATL flights in Economy is how long the dinner service takes. Unless you're coming from the west coast, your actual flight time is between 5.5-8 hours. My last two TATL flights had the dinner service taking well over 2 hours, with my last one, DEN-FRA taking almost 3 hours. Given breakfast service is usually 90 minutes out from landing, that gives you 3-4 hours, at most of "sleep" time.

Although 3x drink carts is nice, as is a 2-3 course meal (crackers/cheese, meal, ice cream), I'd much rather have a rushed service that's done within 90 minutes of takeoff and have an extra hour or so to sleep. Westbound or TPAC? Take all the time you want.

I've had this complaint for quite some time and I fully agree with you. However, at least from my experience, such ridiculously lengthy meal service has only been on (all) non-US carriers. For example, flying KL on JFK-AMS recently, I I couldn't sleep at all because the lights were out for only around 1.5 hours. The meal service and duty free sales concluded around 3 hours after take off and then breakfast began quite early.

Contrast this to US carriers, where even though the service might be rude and hasty, everything gets finished quite fast and the lights are turned off ASAP. I'd much rather have this fast service than the enhanced service on non-US carriers that takes forever to finish.

YMMV of course.

gatibosgru

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:53 pm

CRMCPILOT31 wrote:
Why not make it an electronic menu using the PTVs instead of wasting paper and people damaging those menu cards.......

Now this would be an even better approach. I believe all DLs long haul aircrafts have PTVs, no?
@DadCelo

reasonable

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:54 pm

such senseless vitriol here. if printed menus in economy is such an obvious thing, why doesn't every airline do it?

OA412

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:58 pm

CRMCPILOT31 wrote:

Good question. It would certainly make sense from a cost and waste standpoint. I'm sure they have some sort of sponsorship deal in place that makes printing the menus worthwhile.

KLDC10 wrote:
Osubuckeyes wrote:

If I'm correct; menu cards have been provided in Transpacific routes in Economy for some time. I guess specifically in terms of menus, this announcement means that Delta will be bringing Transatlantic routes up to that standard too.

Correct. If you look at some Trip Reports documenting DL's TPAC service, they already offer those menu cards with the timing of services, etc. Sounds like they're just aligning Atlantic and Deep South America with TPAC.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

CRMCPILOT31

Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:04 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
CRMCPILOT31 wrote:

Now this would be an even better approach. I believe all DLs long haul aircrafts have PTVs, no?

I am sure they do...(I worked for DL from 06-10). if that is what they are marketing, it even makes it easier to switch between routes, instead of removing menu cards and adding others to accommodate to the route (just change menu electronically) and even if a meal is not available then even place (MEAL NOT AVAILABLE) instead of having the FA come over and asking more than once (specially 1st and Business)....Passengers can order their meal right from their seat even place a time they desire to have it delivered and just be taken right to them..... I hate the use of paper if not needed......
HONDURAS A PARADISE WORTH VISITING!!

ual747den

Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:37 pm

I just cannot understand why so many people on here think a menu card is such a big deal. It's not like you have so many options to choose from, its either this or that! If you want more details open your in-flight magazine and check it out! Or I guess if people like them so much just print menu cards, its really not that big of a deal! The other part I don't really understand is why it is such a big deal to know what time the meal or drink cart will be served. You are not going to be doing something else and miss it, you're kinda stuck there!

I do believe that Delta will hold up to their word and get some better food in Y. It will still be airline food for customers who purchase their ticket based on the cheapest fare so it wont be that big of a deal. Good for Delta though to try to make an attempt to make the experience better.
Frontier Airlines - Low Fares Done Right

superjeff

Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:44 pm

TerminalD wrote:

I figure the upgraded cutlery will be the chrome-colored plastic type.

incitatus

Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:51 pm

Even if these are small items, kudos to Delta for doing it. The hype is entertaining!
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

Indy

Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:47 pm

A few years back I flew a lot of DL domestic F and the food was very questionable. A lot of back and forth between ATL and SAN. Domestic meal service needs a lot of work. My last experience with DL meal service on an international flight was DTW-AMS. It was pretty good. Not great but good. Best meal service I ever had was DTW-AMS with NW in WBC. Worst was same airline but MEM-AMS in Y. DL international meal service in Y is pretty bland and underwhelming . Anything they can do will be a big help. Forget the flash and bells & whistles. Better quality meals would go a long way.
IND to RDU to OKC in 18 months. This is what my life has become.

SFOtoORD

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:54 pm

jumbojet wrote:
How long until UA and AA follow, if at all?

They’re likely too busy quaking in fear of DL to follow.

airzona11

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:02 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
How long until UA and AA follow, if at all?

They’re likely too busy quaking in fear of DL to follow.

Sarcasm aside, they will follow. And it will roll out over the most competitive routes. There offering is hardly stratified for long.

Marketings job is to hype up every release. This is a positive improvement for Y and the airline brand in general. The non-sense of people on here trashing US3, DL or American carriers, for improving their product is petty.

The US3 across the board are moving up market in their offerings. Good for them, less so for competitors. I would expect in a few short years the JV partners align.

Good move by DL.

TerminalD

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:06 pm

downdata wrote:
TerminalD wrote:

Can upgraded napkins be far behind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cloudboy

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:07 pm

I am glad they are making an effort to give attention to the economy passenger, and hopefully that does not get lost in all of this. the problem I think is with how Delta presents this, and I am hoping this is more a factor of a runaway marketing department than it is with company philosophy. To make such hype over "rotable" (makes me wonder why they didn't use a simpler term like real) silverware and menus, and eventually some very vague menu improvements, really makes it sound like they are less worried about the actual improvements as much as trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. Hopefully the result will be more substantive than hype.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

mernest

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:12 pm

ual747den wrote:
I just cannot understand why so many people on here think a menu card is such a big deal. It's not like you have so many options to choose from, its either this or that! If you want more details open your in-flight magazine and check it out! Or I guess if people like them so much just print menu cards, its really not that big of a deal! The other part I don't really understand is why it is such a big deal to know what time the meal or drink cart will be served. You are not going to be doing something else and miss it, you're kinda stuck there!

The meal descriptions and service times both address the conflict between service and sleep on the short flight times that others have noted.

Knowing the service times allows to passenger to decide if they want to skip the service and attempt or even (if offered) request consolidated service or to not be disturbed. This also allows the passenger to be strategic about trips to the lavatory, avoiding being trapped by the carts in the aisle or joining a long line at popular times.

Knowing the meal descriptions eliminates the need for the flight attendants to repeat the descriptions at every row, shortening the overall service time and the associated disturbance. This also allows longer descriptions than the flight attendants could be expected to memorize.

B737900ER

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:12 pm

reasonable wrote:
such senseless vitriol here. if printed menus in economy is such an obvious thing, why doesn't every airline do it?

UA had printed menus when they came out with their overhauled economy meal offerings a few years ago. Nobody cared to read the menus, or cared much at all about the Y meal so the menus ended up being junk and UA got rid of them.

TVNWZ

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:31 pm

If I had a dollar for the number of times meals on planes are reinvented I’d be richer now. Plane food has always been subpar, my bet it will continue to be no matter the airline. It’s a vicious cycle: more food, less food. Bad food, mediocre food. Or, no food at all. It was bad on my first TW Connie flight in 1960 and not much better on my DL flight last week.

smi0006

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:49 pm

A real revolution of the economy meal service was if followed QF and removed the tray - which at the same time increased portion sizes, choice and quality. It’s now served on a mini tray in a casorole dish bigger than many see in some short haul business class.

Odly a lot of Pax missed the tray and ingnores the increased meal size and quality. People don’t always like change.

RamblinMan

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:50 pm

Take away printed menus, or change a hot breakfast into a cold snack on a relatively short transatlantic, and everyone on here shouts "race to the bottom!" like it's the end of days.

Add back an amenity, upgrade the cutlery, or whatever, and all the cynics all roll their eyes.

Can't win I guess.

LAXLHR

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:52 pm

jumbojet wrote:
Delta once again out in front of the pack and raising the bar this time for economy passengers on long haul international flights. How long until UA and AA follow, if at all?

International Main Cabin dining reinvented: Introducing new serviceware, refreshed meals and menu cards

This is one of Delta’s biggest investments in the Main Cabin dining experience to date,” said Lisa Bauer, Vice President — On-Board Services. “Our goal is to truly recreate the experience our customers would have at their favorite restaurant at 30,000 feet, taking into account what menu items naturally complement one another, the service behind the offerings and the overall presentation.”
Enhancements will begin rolling out in November and will continue to expand into 2018.
In November, the airline will be launching customer experience menu cards, which will include information on timing for each service and details on the inflight food and beverage offerings. In December, the airline will launch new upgraded cutlery in the Main Cabin

Full article here:

http://www.pressreleasepoint.com/intern ... s-and-menu

"Raising the bar" LOL, to what?...sub standard International Y class service, closer to something VS has had for over 25 years!

Poor Americans, every little scrap the US carriers throw out there they think its something great. American carriers (except for VX and B6) cannot even see the bar until their international partners turn their heads to the sky...and even then, Wall Street Airlines CEO is not about it.

US carriers years and years and years ago were not bad. Anyway, go fly JL or EK Y to see how far behind the American carriers truly are in food, presentation, service and well EVERYTHING!...and again I'm talking Y (no need to even point out the obvious gulf in J and F class haha)

I could give a crap about Delta (DL gives off a very uninviting and appalling aura - can't put my finger on it) , but, but at least they try, so I give them that!. Unfortunately, Americans are not known for style, design or taste. It is what it is! and anyone who travels international knows exactly what I mean.
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA KL

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 330s 340s 350 380

gwrudolph

Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:08 pm

mcdu wrote:
I think the big question is how long until DL shelves this program. Maybe if they dipped the cards in beef bouillon the passengers could eat them.

Good idea to upgrade the blankets. The current ones are thinner than paper and serve no useful function.
Okay, this one was hilarious "Maybe if they dipped the cards in beef bouillon the passengers could eat them.,". Ya, I'm not sure what's so great about offering menus?!??! Save the trees and put it on the app or something

ual747den

Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:36 pm

mernest wrote:
ual747den wrote:

The meal descriptions and service times both address the conflict between service and sleep on the short flight times that others have noted.

Knowing the service times allows to passenger to decide if they want to skip the service and attempt or even (if offered) request consolidated service or to not be disturbed. This also allows the passenger to be strategic about trips to the lavatory, avoiding being trapped by the carts in the aisle or joining a long line at popular times.

Knowing the meal descriptions eliminates the need for the flight attendants to repeat the descriptions at every row, shortening the overall service time and the associated disturbance. This also allows longer descriptions than the flight attendants could be expected to memorize.

I guess you see something that I do not. I have been in this industry for 15 years now and I just don't see the situations that you are describing.

ual747den

Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:50 pm

LAXLHR wrote:
"Raising the bar" LOL, to what?...sub standard International Y class service, closer to something VS has had for over 25 years!

Poor Americans, every little scrap the US carriers throw out there they think its something great. American carriers (except for VX and B6) cannot even see the bar until their international partners turn their heads to the sky...and even then, Wall Street Airlines CEO is not about it.

US carriers years and years and years ago were not bad. Anyway, go fly JL or EK Y to see how far behind the American carriers truly are in food, presentation, service and well EVERYTHING!...and again I'm talking Y (no need to even point out the obvious gulf in J and F class haha)

I could give a crap about Delta (DL gives off a very uninviting and appalling aura - can't put my finger on it) , but, but at least they try, so I give them that!. Unfortunately, Americans are not known for style, design or taste. It is what it is! and anyone who travels international knows exactly what I mean.

And yet these airlines are the largest and most profitable in the world. Airlines here in the US will always take profit over product, just like our consumers will always take price over product.

LAXLHR wrote:
Unfortunately, Americans are not known for style, design or taste.

Really?
Thats kind of odd, I thought that Hollywood and NYC was still located here in the states. Hollywood is where style, design, and taste are manufactured and NYC is where it is sold to the world. I understand that there are some smaller areas around the world that focus on these industries also but its not where near as big at the United States.

JamesCousins

Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:54 pm

FCAFLYBOY wrote:
so basically, they are offering what Virgin Atlantic and other airlines have been doing for years - please - change the title, perhaps make it "re-invented for US carriers".This is most definitely NOT innovative or new, except for Delta, of course.

I imagine VS doing this played a big part. They can look at how much it costs VS per head and it allows them to further align their transatlantic serviced with Virgin's for a more a cohesive relationship and customer experience...
Q400, A320-200, A321-200, 737-500, 737-800, 747-400, 757-200, 787-9 // FCA, TOM, TUI, MON, MT, BA, VS, DL, BE, X9, OLY // Upcoming: W6 A320, W6 A321, EVA 77W, VS 787-9m AS A320, VS A35K, KLM E190, KLM 738, LS 737

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos