Topic Author

SCK Looking to Rename to San Francisco - Stockton

Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:02 am

It isn't as far from San Francisco as Chicago Rockford (RFD) is from Chicago:

http://www.recordnet.com/news/20171019/ ... n-stockton

Wingtips56

Re: SCK Looking to Rename to San Francisco - Stockton

Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:14 am

Hmm. Imagine thinking you are landing in San Francisco, looking for the Golden Gate Bridge, Cable Cars and Fisherman's Wharf, only to be in .... Stockton ... instead.

But, that aside, a few years ago, SCK started showing up in flight searches for SMF, as would a co-terminal, only to be found unpopular and with people booked to/from the wrong airport. I am really not a fan of this Ryanair-styled trickery.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

KICT

Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:21 am

The latest example of a ridiculous trend. Previously it was MLB, re-branding itself as an Orlando area airport. Asinine.
People are saying. Believe me.

F27500

Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:22 am

It doesn't matter ..... let them call themselves Los Angeles-Stockton .. aint nobody gonna fly there anyway ... how stupid.

TripleA

Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:28 am

Wasn't there a brief period in the early 2000s when America West Express had flights from SCK to PHX? I don't think that service lasted too long though.

SANFan

Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:36 am

IF Stockton insists on renaming their airport, I think Stockton-Sacramento would be much more apropos but if they insist on connecting themselves with SFO, it should call itself Stockton-San Francisco Airport. IMHO.

bb

loisencroach
Topic Author

Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:39 am

TripleA wrote:
Wasn't there a brief period in the early 2000s when America West Express had flights from SCK to PHX? I don't think that service lasted too long though.

2001-2003 with revenue guarantees

SurfandSnow

Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:32 am

Things have been looking up for Stockton after the bankruptcy. AA hasn't been afraid to try niche regional routes from PHX lately. I don't think a resumption of PHX-SCK is really any more farfetched than AA giving PHX-CLD another go or trying something like PHX-MMH...do you?
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

FATFlyer

Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:45 am

SCK has a $650,000 SCASD grant to support service to LAX. So far no airline has agreed to start SCK-LAX. SCK tried to get the grant modified to include possible PHX service but the DOT said no since the application only stated LAX.

SCK plans to start seeking a design-build company to construct a FIS building shell. They expect to award that contract in the Spring. Currently Volaris has expressed interest in starting service at SCK if they build a FIS and Customs staffs it.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

26point2

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:05 am

It’s still Stockton no matter what you call it. What’s up with the San Joaquin Valley and their airport names? A few years ago we discussed Fresno-Yosemite airport and the fact that Yosemite Nat’l Park is not at all near FAT. You can’t make people want to visit your (miserable) city just by putting a fancy name on the airport. Or can you?

BoeingGuy

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:20 am

26point2 wrote:
It’s still Stockton no matter what you call it. What’s up with the San Joaquin Valley and their airport names? A few years ago we discussed Fresno-Yosemite airport and the fact that Yosemite Nat’l Park is not at all near FAT. You can’t make people want to visit your (miserable) city just by putting a fancy name on the airport. Or can you?

Sure it is. Are you familiar with the area? FAT is the closest airport to Yosemite by far (excluding MMH, which is closer to the more remote east entrance to Yosemite).

Last time I went to Yosemite, I flew into FAT.

FATFlyer

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:53 am

26point2 wrote:

YARTS (Yosemite Area Regional Transportation System) operates from FAT to Yosemite Valley. YARTS also operates to the gateway cities surrounding Yosemite for those staying in hotels outside the park. But FAT is the main airport connection for visitors.
http://yarts.com/

MIflyer12

Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:17 am

26point2 wrote:

Ask the people responsible for Manchester-Boston Regional Airport, renamed in 2006.

DesertAir

Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:31 pm

I am a Stockton native and travel monthly to Stockton to visit family. The only airline that has had recent success is Allegiant. I don't see why they can't add some LAX service to complement their LAS, SAN, and AZA service.

26point2

Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:05 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:

Sure it is. Are you familiar with the area? FAT is the closest airport to Yosemite by far (excluding MMH, which is closer to the more remote east entrance to Yosemite).

Last time I went to Yosemite, I flew into FAT.

Yes, I am familiar. We have a cabin at Bass Lake...about midway between FAT and Yosemite Valley. It’s just that this drive takes 2.5 hours. Perhaps FAT happens to be the closest commercial airport to the West of YNP but where should the line be drawn? This distance seems a bit of a stretch for name association.

StrandedAtMKG

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:33 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
SCK has a $650,000 SCASD grant to support service to LAX. So far no airline has agreed to start SCK-LAX. SCK tried to get the grant modified to include possible PHX service but the DOT said no since the application only stated LAX.

SCK plans to start seeking a design-build company to construct a FIS building shell. They expect to award that contract in the Spring. Currently Volaris has expressed interest in starting service at SCK if they build a FIS and Customs staffs it.

In what universe is a city of 300,000 people an hour from San Jose and an hour from OAK a "small community?" I am generally the last person to complain about government spending as I believe in a strong social safety net, but the SCASD/EAS system is messed up.

mtnwest1979

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:40 pm

They should go with "Stockton-East Bay International Airport of San Joaquin". Most potential pax from SF bay area would ( assumedly) be from the East Bay. And add in the SJ to satisfy the San Joaquin County folks that support the airport.
Lived in Lodi 1979-80, and am always amazed each time I go thru the area that the terminal is almost exactly like it was then. Nice to reminisce about where UA FL PS RW IK GG and so on counters were located, remembering when small carousel was new and so on.
Many trips to the airport there, yet only one flight out for a day trip to LAX on PSA 72S on Saturday.
Would be interested to see some additional operations there.
But, a name change really unnecessary
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

FATFlyer

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:45 pm

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
In what universe is a city of 300,000 people an hour from San Jose and an hour from OAK a "small community?" I am generally the last person to complain about government spending as I believe in a strong social safety net, but the SCASD/EAS system is messed up.

SCASD grants are based on the airport's classification using enplanements, not population size or location. Eligible commercial airports for the grant are those classified by the FAA as a "small hub" or "nonhub". More about the FAA classifications is at http://www.faa.gov/airports/planning_capacity/passenger_allcargo_stats/categories/

FATFlyer

Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:27 pm

The County Board of Supervisors voted yesterday to delay a name change decision. They received objections from SFO and the Congresswoman who represents the San Francisco International Airport area.

SCK says it will reconsider the name change and will ask the Board to discuss it at a future meeting.
http://www.recordnet.com/news/20171024/ ... gresswoman

ucdtim17

Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:49 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
The County Board of Supervisors voted yesterday to delay a name change decision. They received objections from SFO and the Congresswoman who represents the San Francisco International Airport area.

SCK says it will reconsider the name change and will ask the Board to discuss it at a future meeting.
http://www.recordnet.com/news/20171024/ ... gresswoman

There must be other examples where far out airport wants to take main city's name but major airport opposes/owns trademark? You can see why SFO would be opposed, but there are lots of examples of remote airports taking a nearby city's name to try and attract traffic.

CWizard

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:38 pm

Stockton to SFO would be an hour and a half, it not two hour drive, minimum. I grew up in Stockton, back when United had service to SFO, and have watched Stockton deteriorate into one of the largest welfare centers in the country. That is to say, it is very doubtful Stockton can support regular airline service to just about anywhere.

SJCMSP

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:54 pm

I wonder what they could call themselves to portray their location to numerous things in the area as they have decent proximity to the Bay Area and Sacramento and are closer to Yosemite than FAT. Stockton - Bay Area - San Joaquin Valley - Yosemite Airport?

loisencroach
Topic Author

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:56 pm

Stockton/Bay Area Regional Airport

WN732

Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:56 pm

26point2 wrote:

You really don't need to talk about our town like that. Yes, there are some really awful areas in Fresno - Including where both airports are. But, there are some really decent areas, with nice folks. Every city has its flaws.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos