airplaneboy

Re: Visual of largest airlines by state in the USA

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:45 am

It is my understanding that Southwest flies the most number of passengers WITHIN California, and also TO/FROM California than any other airline. (This includes regional feed from the “Big 3.”) If anyone can help provide the numbers it would be greatly appreciated :)

uconn99

Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:03 pm

CairnterriAIR wrote:
It has to be really close in CT between WN and AA....at least at BDL. I wonder if they included AA’s operation at HVN. If not then perhaps AA is bigger?

August 2017 AA had more passengers at BDL and YTD the gap is closing. If WN doesn't add any flights, AA will over take WN as largest carrier at BDL. If you add HVN numbers, although not large, AA definitely will hold the CT market share come 2018.

727LOVER

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:53 pm

If this is mainline only, then the one I find quite surprising is Arizona---AA beating WN
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

IPFreely

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:44 pm

FoxtrotSierra wrote:
WN-16
DL-12
UA-9
AA-6
AS-4
B6-1
HA-1

16+12+9+6+4+1+1=49

Which state has been eliminated?

czek6

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:56 pm

I'm guessing Delaware since there is no commercial air service in the state.

jbmitt

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:57 pm

IPFreely wrote:
FoxtrotSierra wrote:
WN-16
DL-12
UA-9
AA-6
AS-4
B6-1
HA-1

16+12+9+6+4+1+1=49

Which state has been eliminated?

Probably Delaware since it doesn't have scheduled service...

N47

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:12 pm

a USAF logo would be appropriate for DE

PatrickZ80

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:32 pm

It occurs to me that there is very little variety on this map, only a few different airlines that got strong positions throughout the whole country. Very little regional differences. From a European point of view this seems very odd.

I've tried to create a similar map for Europe. Not guaranteed to be 100 percent correct, but based on the little resources I could find. Anyway, there's much more variety in Europe. Much more airlines that are only big in one country, but don't have a strong position outside that country.

gunsontheroof

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:32 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
The other one that surprises me is that DL is larger in Montana than AS. Is that correct?

It wouldn't surprise me, but I bet it's close. DL serves many of the same stations AS does (NW always had a strong MT presence) and SLC beats out SEA in total pax everywhere but MSO and FCA.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

albertocsc

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:06 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure about this map. Iberia is really big in Madrid, but in Spain as a whole I think it's Ryanair who wins.
Also in Romania, Wizz Air is first, then Blue Air, then Tarom, then Ryanair.
And you forgot to mark Moldova. I don't really know statistics about the country, but I would say Air Moldova is first, then FlyOne, then Wizz.
About other countries I don't have any information.

BAINY3

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:31 pm

727LOVER wrote:
If this is mainline only, then the one I find quite surprising is Arizona---AA beating WN

I don't think it's mainline only but I don't know their methodology. Some of the states aren't served by mainline at all. It lists BTS Transtats as the source but they only show the top 5 carriers so some of the smaller regionals won't show up, etc., and there are carriers like SkyWest that serve multiple airlines.

All that said, I'm not surprised by AZ. AA is bigger at PHX and serves more airports. WN is bigger at TUS but AA still has a good presence there, pretty busy shuttle service to PHX etc. But even so I wouldn't be surprised if AA's margin at PHX is enough to cancel out the rest of the state.

knope2001

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:44 pm

Feel free to play around with the data source the OP says they used.

https://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports.asp

These are by operating carrier, not brand. So (for example) Southwest is indeed correct for Kansas because they carried more passengers than American, Delta, Skywest, United, Mesa, Great Lakes, etc.

However I think they did some number bending when the raw stats showed someone like Skywest as the top airline. For United to surpass Southwest in Maine, for example, a couple of regional operators at PWM and BGR must have been combined and attributed to United. Unfortunately that's not always reliable, most notably (but not limited to) Skywest splitting. In Idaho Skywest solidly surpasses Horizon but perhaps they figured there was enough split between United and Delta that Horizon (aka Alaska) must be the biggest.

If you have doubts about a particular state you may just want to take a look and see how they (apparently) arrived at their results.

citationjet

Re: Visual of largest airlines by state

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:52 am

Varsity1 wrote:
How is WN the leader in Kansas? They aren't even the largest in Wichita, the only city they serve in the state.
AA leads in Wichita and serves MHK and GCK. I'm sure other states are wrong as well.

I live in Wichita, and WN does not seem to be the leader in ICT, the only city they serve in the state. WN has 4 departures a day (2xSTL, 1xLAS, 1xPHX). UA has 5xDEN, 3xIAH, and 4xORD. AA has 4xORD, 6xDFW. DL has 3xATL, 3x MSP. UA, AA and DL use both mainline and commuter jets on some flights. However AA also serves MHK and GCK in Kansas.

Maybe the map only counts the mainline flights, and not the regional commuter flights. That may make WN the biggest in Kansas.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

CairnterriAIR

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:14 am

Who leads in Rhode Island? The state is so small I can’t see the logo!

77H

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:22 am

knope2001 wrote:
Feel free to play around with the data source the OP says they used.

https://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports.asp

These are by operating carrier, not brand. So (for example) Southwest is indeed correct for Kansas because they carried more passengers than American, Delta, Skywest, United, Mesa, Great Lakes, etc.

However I think they did some number bending when the raw stats showed someone like Skywest as the top airline. For United to surpass Southwest in Maine, for example, a couple of regional operators at PWM and BGR must have been combined and attributed to United. Unfortunately that's not always reliable, most notably (but not limited to) Skywest splitting. In Idaho Skywest solidly surpasses Horizon but perhaps they figured there was enough split between United and Delta that Horizon (aka Alaska) must be the biggest.

If you have doubts about a particular state you may just want to take a look and see how they (apparently) arrived at their results.

Sounds like the more telling map would be which brand is the biggest in each state. I wonder how much the map would change.

77H

yeogeo

Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:41 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
It occurs to me that there is very little variety on {the US} map, only a few different airlines that have strong positions throughout the whole country. Very little regional differences. From a European point of view this seems very odd.

So you're comparing one country to the European continent and finding it odd that the two maps are different?

Wouldn't you want to compare one continent to another? (which would certainly result in a similar lack of variety on the map of North America as your European one, with each country having one dominant carrier), or would it be more relevant to create a map showing the dominant carriers in each of France's 96 departements, for example? I suspect you'd find only a small handful of dominant airlines in that case, resulting in very little regional difference, as you say.

yeo

Chemist

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:01 am

FlyDeltaJets wrote:
Chemist wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

You raise good points, the more I think about it the more I think this includes mainline only, with es h regional being counted separately. Needless to say this plays into WN being over repesented.

I have no doubt that WN is the largest intra-CA carrier, but by either ASMs or simply number of seats I can't imagine a scenario that UA isn't the largest in Cali (at least including regional partners)

Yes but Southwest has huge frequencies between Bay Area-LA Area pairs and their flights are usually mostly full. The UA to little airports are normally regional, correct? And what 1-3 flights/day max? That isn't really a lot of passengers.

SFO-ACV - 4 times a day mixture of 50 and 76 seat RJs
SFO-BFL - 2 times a day with 50 seat RJs
SFO-BUR - 6 times a day with mixture of mainline and 76 seat RJs
SFO-FAT - 4 times a day with mixture of mainline and 76 seat RJs
SFO-LAX - 15 times a day - 14 mainline 1 76 seat RJ
SFO-MRY (not in earlier list) - 2 times a day, 50 seat RJ
SFO-ONT - 7 times a day - 50 seat RJs and 1 76 seat RJ
SFO-SAN - 20 times a day - all mainline
SFO - SBA - 7 times a day - 1 mainline, mixture of 76 and 50 seat RJs
SFO-SBP - 4 times a day - 50 seat RJs
SFO - SMF - 5 times a day - 1 mainline, 4 76 seat RJs
SFO-SNA - 7 times a day - 6 mainline, 1 76 seat RJ
SFO - STS - 3 times a day - 50 seat RJs

86 flights a day from 1 hub to a variety of cities in California.

FlyDelta - heck SW flies >50 flights per day out of BURBANK alone and those are all 737s, no RJs. Not really much of an argument in that list.

evank516

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:29 pm

Boy, if DL saw that big AA Logo on the State of Florida they'd be pissed. It actually surprised me because if you axe MIA from the equation, Florida is pretty much Delta Country. As for New York, I knew it had to be between DL and B6. However if you take it down to mainline only, I'm wondering if B6 squeeks ahead in NY?

As for Louisiana, I kind of want to call BS. WN only serves MSY and DL serves MSY, BTR, SHV, MLU, LFT, and AEX with MSY, BTR, and LFT seeing mainline. I also think SHV sees it here and there as well. I don't see how WN takes Louisiana with just MSY.
Last edited by evank516 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OzarkD9S

Re: Visual of largest airlines by state

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:33 pm

citationjet wrote:

Varsity1 wrote:

Maybe the map only counts the mainline flights, and not the regional commuter flights. That may make WN the biggest in Kansas.

If the criteria is number of tickets sold in the state, than those KC, Kansas tickets may be enough to push WN to the top, even though the departure airport is in Missouri.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

ahj2000

Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:03 pm

evank516 wrote:
Boy, if DL saw that big AA Logo on the State of Florida they'd be pissed. It actually surprised me because if you axe MIA from the equation, Florida is pretty much Delta Country. As for New York, I knew it had to be between DL and B6. However if you take it down to mainline only, I'm wondering if B6 squeeks ahead in NY?

As for Louisiana, I kind of want to call BS. WN only serves MSY and DL serves MSY, BTR, SHV, MLU, LFT, and AEX with MSY, BTR, and LFT seeing mainline. I also think SHV sees it here and there as well. I don't see how WN takes Louisiana with just MSY.

A mega hub in MIA far outweighs the ATL routes Delta flies. Also, while not as large, American has service from most of Delta’s Florida destinationto Charlotte as well. Delta’s little Connection Saturday focus city thing probably doesn’t add up to all that many seats (maybe a thousand pr two seats a week)
-Andrés Juánez

Varsity1

Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:11 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
It occurs to me that there is very little variety on this map, only a few different airlines that got strong positions throughout the whole country. Very little regional differences. From a European point of view this seems very odd.

I've tried to create a similar map for Europe. Not guaranteed to be 100 percent correct, but based on the little resources I could find. Anyway, there's much more variety in Europe. Much more airlines that are only big in one country, but don't have a strong position outside that country.

You're comparing a continent to a single country and surprised it's different? :lol:
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

richierich

Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:30 pm

CairnterriAIR wrote:
Who leads in Rhode Island? The state is so small I can’t see the logo!

Looks like WN.
None shall pass!!!!

richierich

Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:31 pm

So DE is prime for the taking...I'm surprised a regional affiliate of AA, UA or DL doesn't fly there at all. I know there has been periodic service to the state.
None shall pass!!!!

msycajun

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:42 pm

evank516 wrote:

Look at the numbers. WN had over 2 million enplanements last year versus about 1 million for DL at MSY. If you add all of the other airports' enplanements it would be a little over 1 million, so even if DL had a 50% market share, they still wouldn't be close to WN's total. MSY accounts for over 80% of the traffic in the state.

evank516

Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:18 pm

richierich wrote:
So DE is prime for the taking...I'm surprised a regional affiliate of AA, UA or DL doesn't fly there at all. I know there has been periodic service to the state.

I think they've all tried and failed.

MountainFlyer

Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:30 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
The other one that surprises me is that DL is larger in Montana than AS. Is that correct?

Not surprising at all - DL serves every city in MT that AS does plus BTM.

Several MT cities get DL mainline service from multiple Delta hubs. Off the top of my head, I believe BIL, BZN, GTF, MSO, and occasionally maybe HLN get mainline DL service.

Every MT city that AS serves gets DL service from both MSP and SLC, plus BZN, FCA, and MSO get at least seasonal service from LAX, and BZN has service from SEA and (seasonal I think) ATL.
SA-227; B1900; Q200; Q400; CRJ-2,7,9; 717; 727-2; 737-3,4,5,7,8,9; 747-2; 757-2,3; 767-3,4; MD-90; A319, 320; DC-9; DC-1

IPFreely

Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:36 pm

richierich wrote:

Delaweenians still fly, airport or no airport in the state. Not sure if BWI or PHL would get more use but looks like it should be an AA or a WN state.

NYPECO

Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:47 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
I am aware of IAD, but UA hard a fairly small presence in the rest of the Virginia. DL is by far the largest carrier at ORF and RIC and those are not small airports.

UA operations in IAD greatly outnumber DL operations in ORF and RIC combined.

FA9295

Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:58 pm

I only see 4 for AS, not 6...

pwm2txlhopper

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:00 pm

[threeid][/threeid]
bendytendy wrote:
I don't see how UA could possibly be the largest in Maine. It was only recently that UA started sending some seasonal mainline service to PWM and only recently started year round regional service to BGR. All of the other carriers serve the state year round with some mainline service. I looked at 2016 outbound passenger numbers for the state (adding together PWM & BGR) and came up with AA being the largest with 346,615, DL in second with 294,163, UA in third with 202,299, WN in 4th with 138,970 (only serves PWM), B6 in fifth with 94,170 (only serves PWM) and G4 in 6th place with 48,939 (only serves BGR). AA of course had pulled out of Maine completely before the US merger, but post merger they are now the largest, at least looking at last years numbers.

I think the same. UA's presence here isn't as large as AA or DL. UA didn't have any mainline service to Maine from 2001 until summer 2016, when they started sending weekend A320's to IAD. Just in the last three months they've added a daily 737-8 on PWM-ORD. Prior to these flights, the only UA operations were RJs or Dash-8 to IAD/EWR/ORD several times per day each. BGR didnt have service with UA for 20+ years until they added EWR a year or two ago. BGR-ORD was only recommenced this past year.

And just curious as to where you got these numbers? Would love to check some stuff out myself.
Last edited by pwm2txlhopper on Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

george77300

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:01 pm

FA9295 wrote:

Both in the first post and map says AS has 4. Its American with 6.

FA9295

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:28 pm

george77300 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

Both in the first post and map says AS has 4. Its American with 6.

Oh, whoops. My bad. Thanks for pointing that out.

FA9295

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:31 pm

airplaneboy wrote:
It is my understanding that Southwest flies the most number of passengers WITHIN California, and also TO/FROM California than any other airline. (This includes regional feed from the “Big 3.”) If anyone can help provide the numbers it would be greatly appreciated :)

Well, it's called "Southwest" for a reason...

NameOmitted

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:48 pm

Anyone have a sense for what it would look like if SkyWest operated aircraft were all grouped into one airline?

ahj2000

Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:38 am

[threeid][/threeid]
FA9295 wrote:
airplaneboy wrote:

Cause it’s Texan :)
-Andrés Juánez

strfyr51

Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:54 am

Sightseer wrote:
platinumfoota wrote:
WN first in California?? UA has 2 Hubs SFO and LAX

There is much, much more to California aviation than SFO and LAX. SAN, SNA, ONT, BUR, SJC, OAK, SMF, etc. WN is much larger than UA at all of those and isn't all that far behind at LAX. And as far as legacy carrier hubs go, UA's operations at LAX, and arguably SFO to a lesser extent, are on the smaller end of the spectrum.

I think youy'd better Quantify and Qualify that with some REAL numbers becuseI think you're dead wrong!

QXAS

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:19 am

I'm sure a map from the year 2000 (without mergers) would look much more like that of Europe. Or if we went the other way and combined AF/KL, LH group, IAG, (made "merged" carriers all as one) the Europe map would look more like the US map.
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.

FA9295

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:04 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]
FA9295 wrote:
airplaneboy wrote:

Cause it’s Texan :)

Well, I get that. I was getting at the California flight expansion... (southwestern United States)...

Sightseer

Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:22 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
Sightseer wrote:
platinumfoota wrote:
WN first in California?? UA has 2 Hubs SFO and LAX

There is much, much more to California aviation than SFO and LAX. SAN, SNA, ONT, BUR, SJC, OAK, SMF, etc. WN is much larger than UA at all of those and isn't all that far behind at LAX. And as far as legacy carrier hubs go, UA's operations at LAX, and arguably SFO to a lesser extent, are on the smaller end of the spectrum.

I think youy'd better Quantify and Qualify that with some REAL numbers becuseI think you're dead wrong!

I don't need to. Someone else already did:
ericm2031 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:

UA has ~300 flights at SFO and ~150 at LAX for a total of 450 daily flights.

WN has ~130 each at OAK and LAX, ~115 at SAN, ~90 at SJC, ~80 at SMF for a total of 550. That doesn't even include SFO, BUR, SNA, LGB, ONT as well as the recent CA buildup. Number of flights alone is overwhelmingly higher than UA.

Number of flights is not meaningful, ignoring the fact that you didn't include UA at SAN. As I said, I don't doubt that WN is the largest intra-state carrier, but I can't see how UA isn't larger overall.

Using tomorrow's numbers:

FAT-11 flights, 731 seats
SNA-18 flights, 2474 seats
PSP-9 flights, 888 seats
SMF-19 flights, 2273 seats
SAN-35 flights, 5314 seats
SBA-12 flights, 834 seats
LAX-139 flights, 19499 seats
BFL-3 flights, 150 seats
BUR-7 flights, 712 seats
ACV-4, 252 seats
RDD-3 flights, 170 seats
SBP-9 flights, 450 seats
STS-3 flights, 150 seats
SFO-294, 43912 seats

Total: 566 flights, 77810 seats

More information on WN's flights:
ericm2031 wrote:
Assuming those 550 are on 737-700's that's 78k...but the actual numbers are higher with -800's on many routes.

redzeppelin

Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:45 pm

I saw this article yesterday and thought it was appropriately relevant to the current thread:

The Internet Has Ruined Maps

Bottom line: There are a lot of these "most popular in every state" maps going around the internet lately. Many of them are based on shoddy data and questionable methods, and are only meant to generate clicks and social media posts. The entire purpose is to make us argue about it (and drive traffic to their site).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos