ussherd
Topic Author

Aer Lingus - any thoughts about potential new USA destinations?

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:25 am

Any thoughts as to what US cities could attract Aer Lingus service to Dublin? BDL was an interesting new destination and it seems to be a success. The more recent introduction of MIA and PHL feel like safer ventures. Could airports like the following attract EI? I've no idea if this would be possible; just speculating for my own entertainment.
-CLE and/or PIT
-PHF or ORF: serving the Hampton Roads / Richmond metro area?
-CVG, IND, CMH or SDF: e.g.: serve CVG and attract traffic from Indianapolis, Louisville and Columbus as well?
Cada loco con su tema...

LAX772LR

Re: Aer Lingus - any thoughts about potential new USA destinations?

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:33 am

Sure EI has noted its intentional to develop its transfer traffic.... but I sincerely doubt they'd have the slightest interest in any of the aforementioned cities, any time soon.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

thomasphoto60

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:43 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Sure EI has noted its intentional to develop its transfer traffic.... but I sincerely doubt they'd have the slightest interest in any of the aforementioned cities, any time soon.

Agreed, now there have been hints at a DFW service.
"Show me the Braniffs"

Skyblue39

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:49 am

I would say DFW would be next in line.

OzarkD9S

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:07 am

Skyblue39 wrote:

I would say DFW would be next in line.

Almost a given sooner or later. And I'll throw in PHX as a wildcard pick.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

Eirules

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:18 am

I wouldn’t rule out PIT. We’ve seen BA have decent success on untapped transatlantic routes with no competition such as AUS & MSY. PIT has a relatively large Irish community and could be a decent shout for 757 or upcoming 321NEO
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

LAX772LR

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:33 am

Eirules wrote:
I wouldn’t rule out PIT. We’ve seen BA have decent success on untapped transatlantic routes with no competition such as AUS & MSY.

Kind of a non sequitur though, considering that PIT already has 3 or 4 transatlantic nonstops as it is.

Eirules

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:39 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Eirules wrote:
I wouldn’t rule out PIT. We’ve seen BA have decent success on untapped transatlantic routes with no competition such as AUS & MSY.

Kind of a non sequitur though, considering that PIT already has 3 or 4 transatlantic nonstops as it is.

Does it? To where?

sfjeff

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:50 am

Eirules wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Eirules wrote:

Does it? To where?

Delta to CDG (seasonal), Condor to Frankfurt (seasonal), and WOW to Reykjavik, according to Wikipedia.
Jeff in Málaga

787Driver

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:08 am

I'd guess SEA could be a likely candidate

Eirules

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:16 am

sfjeff wrote:
Eirules wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Does it? To where?

Delta to CDG (seasonal), Condor to Frankfurt (seasonal), and WOW to Reykjavik, according to Wikipedia.

So one low cost airline year round to KEF, hardly what I’d consider 3/4 non stop transatlantics.

There was talk of SEA before they announced PHL but I suppose a third west coast route would be riskier than somewhere east coast.

DFW has also been mooted but I’m not sure this will happen until EI rejoin Oneworld, whenever that may be, the O&D traffic wouldn’t be huge and there’s already a plethora of transatlantic flights to DFW so connections from Europe onto EI would be minimal

I think they dropped the ball by allowing AC launch YUL next summer before them but that’s another discussion

Skyblue39

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:28 am

Mike Rutter recently stayed at the Philadelphia launch that Aer Lingus were going to bolster & improve their relationship with AA and that another new Transatlantic route out of DUB would be announced shortly. For me, this points at DFW.

planemanofnz

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:39 am

With IB expanding in Asia to PVG and NRT, there is also potential for IAG to expand EI to Asia too.

In particular, if rumours about HU launching DUB - SZX (and not DUB - PEK) are true, EI should open DUB - PEK or DUB - NRT, for Northeast Asia.

IMHO, it is risky for EI to put all of its long-haul eggs in one basket (North America), which is increasingly competitive (for example, just look at D8 and WW).

Cheers,

C.

Dardania

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:51 am

787Driver wrote:

Definitely, with Microsoft & Amazon having a large presence there

OA260

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:02 pm

DFW is a given they just need to sort out the finer details with AA. Although EI are cautious about this route they are comitted to it ( apparantly ) .

ltbewr

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:03 pm

DFW would also allow connections or a larger market including the tech area of Austin, TX, southwestern states.

787fan8

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:08 pm

They did say that they were going to launch LAS not too long ago.

DFW is a given, and I think SEA is likely as well. I would say ATL, but I think we all know why that will never happen.
Last edited by 787fan8 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate

OA260

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:22 pm

787fan8 wrote:
They did say that they were going to launch LAS not too long ago.

They said they were looking at it. I have no doubt it will come online in due course but no comittment was given.

superjeff

Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:24 pm

Eirules wrote:
sfjeff wrote:
Eirules wrote:

Does it? To where?

So one low cost airline year round to KEF, hardly what I’d consider 3/4 non stop transatlantics.

There was talk of SEA before they announced PHL but I suppose a third west coast route would be riskier than somewhere east coast.

DFW has also been mooted but I’m not sure this will happen until EI rejoin Oneworld, whenever that may be, the O&D traffic wouldn’t be huge and there’s already a plethora of transatlantic flights to DFW so connections from Europe onto EI would be minimal

I think they dropped the ball by allowing AC launch YUL next summer before them but that’s another discussion

I agree that DFW will happen when EI rejoins oneWorld; because of the IAG connection, I would assume they would also join the transatlantic JV, with AA, BA, and IB.

Runway28L

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:14 pm

sfjeff wrote:
Eirules wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Does it? To where?

Also noted that next summer DL is upgrading to a 763 and Condor is adding a third weekly flight.

stl07

Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Eirules wrote:
sfjeff wrote:
Eirules wrote:

Does it? To where?

The point being was that PIT has too much competition when cities nearby like STL and CLE only have KEF
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

timberwolf24

Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:37 pm

What about SNN-ORD as United has ended that route?
Living in LA, ORD/MDW will always be home!

HTCone

Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:48 pm

They have at least 8 A321LR arriving from 2019, and apparently these are in addition to the leased 757s, so they'll need to find routes for these. DTW?

flymco753

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:13 pm

787fan8 wrote:
I would say ATL, but I think we all know why that will never happen.
DL's response to that would most likely be 3x daily 333 service from ATL, that's exactly how I envision it.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

TheLion

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:44 pm

I'd say most of the following are potentials by 2025:

DFW
CVG
CMH
BUF
PIT
MCI
STL
MKE
BGR
LAS
SEA
YUL
YHZ
PVG
HKG
PEK
TYO
BKK
KUL
DEL

Possibly also Virginia in the form of Richmond or Norfolk area airports, as suggested above.

Midwestindy

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:12 pm

ussherd wrote:
Any thoughts as to what US cities could attract Aer Lingus service to Dublin? BDL was an interesting new destination and it seems to be a success. The more recent introduction of MIA and PHL feel like safer ventures. Could airports like the following attract EI? I've no idea if this would be possible; just speculating for my own entertainment.
-CLE and/or PIT
-PHF or ORF: serving the Hampton Roads / Richmond metro area?
-CVG, IND, CMH or SDF: e.g.: serve CVG and attract traffic from Indianapolis, Louisville and Columbus as well?

Not really feeling any of those at the moment. I remeber there was a rumor that FI was going to start PIT, but I don't know if that is still the case.

CLE, CVG, IND, PHF, ORF, and SDF are unlikely anytime soon. Especially since IND and CLE still need to prove whether their upcoming TATL service will be successful.
Last edited by Midwestindy on Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

717atOGG

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:15 pm

I think that EI could add these destinations within the next 5 years:
With A330:
DFW-because of AA, I'm not sure on the frequency, but 4/5x weekly could do fine in the summertime.
SEA-to improve OneWorld (if Aer Lingus joins it) presence in SEA, and because it's a good place for connections, for example, using DUB as a connection point to BCN, FCO, MXP, and ATH are not much farther than a hypothetical nonstop flight. A 4x weekly A332 should work well to start.
TPA-to capture leisure traffic. A winter seasonal 2/3x weekly A332 could do well, but yields might be an issue.
PEK-could be done on an A332, probably.
PVG-A big maybe. There might be weight restrictions.
With 757/A321NEOLR:
YUL-This might do well on an A330, but it's less risky on this equipment.
DXB-Could do well if there's enough O&D.
PIT-There's been rumors on it being added, and with connections it might work.
DTW-Same as PIT.

I don't think that India or Southeast Asia would do well because the ME3 probably takes too much traffic on those routes, and I'm a bit questionable on Midwest destinations like CMH and STL.
Long live the Boeing 757!

NichCage

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:21 pm

Why doesn't Aer Lingus serve Montreal?

stlgph

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:22 pm

If they were smart, they'd jump into a market where they could be ahead of the game, rather than playing catch up.

I'm looking at you, Milwaukee.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Orlaithdub

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:31 pm

HTCone wrote:
They have at least 8 A321LR arriving from 2019, and apparently these are in addition to the leased 757s, so they'll need to find routes for these. DTW?

I don't thinj thats correct to say. It was announced by IAG that those a321LR would remplace the 757s. So it can't be seen as an addition but more as a remplace for 4 a/c.

gatibosgru

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:31 pm

I could see them running PVD with their NEOs.
@DadCelo

Orlaithdub

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:35 pm

I am not so sure if they will joine One World. That has been so quiet now... and it would mean an end to the codeshare with United and Air Canada (Star alliance), baring in mind aer lingus fill many seats thanks to these 2 partners. I'd say this projet was dropped

LAX772LR

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:36 pm

Eirules wrote:

Sure, but then the difference between what you'd consider, and what actually exists; is that only one of them reflects reality. ;)

Which is why:
stl07 wrote:
The point being was that PIT has too much competition when cities nearby like STL and CLE only have KEF

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

CHI2DFW

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:07 pm

With EI looking to join OneWorld, DFW-DUB and ORD-SNN (especially with UA dropping seasonal service) seem realistic.

This forum is also starting to reach with Louisville and Newport News. The usual DTW and SEA fans have responded along with the entitled to LHR cities “if we can’t get LHR, why not DUB?”

khowaga

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:37 pm

superjeff wrote:
Eirules wrote:

I agree that DFW will happen when EI rejoins oneWorld; because of the IAG connection, I would assume they would also join the transatlantic JV, with AA, BA, and IB.

My guess is that we wouldn’t see EI at DFW until the FI/WW transatlantic low fare showdown has had a chance to test the market. There’s a lot of skepticism that both carriers can survive at DFW. With AA/BA/IB having things pretty much covered at DFW for oneworld and IAG, EI wouldn’t bring much to the table except Ireland-bound O&D traffic which, as already observed, is fairly minimal.

maximairways

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:44 pm

I would be quick to draw similarities between BUF and BDL, since they are similar sized metros and have a huge population within a two hour drive. However, Connecticut is subsidizing the BDL flight, and NY doesn't do the same.

AAvgeek744

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Dardania wrote:
787Driver wrote:

Definitely, with Microsoft & Amazon having a large presence there

Is there really enough traffic from those business sectors to warrant service? Given the meteoric growth of international carriers at SEA, it would not shock me, but I'd look at DFW first. I would be interested to see how IAG looks at EI long term, and how much of a long haul hub it will be.

HTCone

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:07 pm

Orlaithdub wrote:
HTCone wrote:

I don't thinj thats correct to say. It was announced by IAG that those a321LR would remplace the 757s. So it can't be seen as an addition but more as a remplace for 4 a/c.

They subsequently stated they were looking for 12, and that the first 8 would be purely for expansion ie keep the 757s

chrisnh

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:09 pm

TheLion wrote:

DFW
CVG
CMH
BUF
PIT
MCI
STL
MKE
BGR
LAS
SEA
YUL
YHZ
PVG
HKG
PEK
TYO
BKK
KUL
DEL

Possibly also Virginia in the form of Richmond or Norfolk area airports, as suggested above.

Bangor, MAINE? :lol:

Orlaithdub

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:22 pm

HTCone wrote:
Orlaithdub wrote:
HTCone wrote:

They subsequently stated they were looking for 12, and that the first 8 would be purely for expansion ie keep the 757s

Dont mean to sound pessimist but those 8 a321LR orders include already the 4 757 replace. Maybe they order more in the future if they build up a case to be approved by IAG. But at the moment that's the reality. Wonder when the 757s will be gone anyway. Does anyone know?

As far as oneworld alliance, over a year since IAG mentioned that. It won't happen due to the huge cost.

AerSpace was mentioned by the COO, for the Shorthaul next year (sort of business class on the european flights, something that had been planned before IAG take over). It will be interesting to see if that really happens!

FA9295

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:42 pm

In my opinion:

SEA, DEN, PHX, AUS, MSY, PIT
Last edited by FA9295 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JetBlueCLT

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:43 pm

CLT
Pittsburgh Penguins, Steelers, Pirates and Charlotte Hornets Fan

FA9295

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:44 pm

chrisnh wrote:
TheLion wrote:

DFW
CVG
CMH
BUF
PIT
MCI
STL
MKE
BGR
LAS
SEA
YUL
YHZ
PVG
HKG
PEK
TYO
BKK
KUL
DEL

Bangor, MAINE? :lol:

That's a lot of wishful thinking on your part, lol. Only time will tell, as they say... :smile:

TWA772LR

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:44 pm

DEN would be a solid wild card candidate. Obviously not terribly high on the list, but we have been surprised pretty recently by all kinds of airlines and routes. SEA would be a good one also.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

planemanofnz

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:01 pm

717atOGG wrote:
SEA-to improve OneWorld (if Aer Lingus joins it) presence in SEA

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

This flight would also connect Dublin's Silicon Docks with another major tech hub (as SEA is home to the likes of Amazon, Expedia and Microsoft).

Cheers,

C.

B752OS

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:11 pm

Is DUB-MIA run year round and daily?

N292UX

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:33 pm

Everyone seems to be forgetting about IAH. 4th largest US city, should have strong O & D.

chrisnh

Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:20 am

I’m still trying to figure out how a city that dyes its river GREEN each year can’t support a flight to Shannon. Ireland does not = ‘Dublin.’ Chicago’s population dwarfs Boston’s, which does have that service...and year-round.

adamh8297

Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:38 am

chrisnh wrote:
I’m still trying to figure out how a city that dyes its river GREEN each year can’t support a flight to Shannon. Ireland does not = ‘Dublin.’ Chicago’s population dwarfs Boston’s, which does have that service...and year-round.

B6 feed helps and the CSA of Chicago is "only" 1.8 million people more than Greater Boston CSA where as NYC and LA are 3 and 2 times bigger respectively. CSA is a better guage of airline catchment in my opinion.

SNN-ORD would be a great A321LR route for D8 though they may go to RFD instead.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

knope2001

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:34 am

[url][/url]
stlgph wrote:
If they were smart, they'd jump into a market where they could be ahead of the game, rather than playing catch up.

I'm looking at you, Milwaukee.

From your lips to God's ears, as they say!

Kidding (and wishful thinking) aside your point is not without some logic. Once you move beyond the top-tier destinations (which are almost obligatory) then where? Is there money left to be made as the 5th, 6th or 7th transatlantic carrier at a mid-sized destinations, or the 2nd, 3rd or 4th at smaller ones? Of course nothing says they must serve X points in the US. But finding a substantial market with no existing TATL competition could make more sense than squeezing into a market with multiple existing carriers.

Year after year Aer Lingus is a lead sponsor of Milwaukee Irish Fest, the largest celebration of Irish music and culture in North America and year after year I keep hoping they'll come to MKE. So far no such luck.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos