BenflysDTW

Re: Aer Lingus - any thoughts about potential new USA destinations?

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:59 am

B752OS wrote:
Is DUB-MIA run year round and daily?

Yes it’s year round. I think that there are more frequencies in the summer though.

AmricanShamrok

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:09 am

chrisnh wrote:
I’m still trying to figure out how a city that dyes its river GREEN each year can’t support a flight to Shannon. Ireland does not = ‘Dublin.’ Chicago’s population dwarfs Boston’s, which does have that service...and year-round.

UA's ORD-SNN seemed to do well for the first few seasons (2013-2015/2016) with increases in frequency and/or extensions to the operating season year-on-year to reflect this. UA cited poor recent financial performance of the route for its closure. This may be a result of increased capacity lately by DL (SNN-JFK; upguaging to the 763) and AA (SNN-PHL; extending the operating season). AC announcing YYZ-SNN for next summer was probably the final nail in the coffin.

While EI is certainly a contender for SNN-ORD, I'd have concerns about their recent remarks that they are prioritising new year-round routes between Ireland and North America rather than seasonal. SNN-ORD has not operated year-round for many, many years and I'd imagine point-to-point demand is fairly seasonal.

planemanofnz

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:05 pm

N292UX wrote:
Everyone seems to be forgetting about IAH. 4th largest US city, should have strong O & D.

Actually, more relevant is that the population of the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington metro area is greater than that of Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land.

Population size is an important, but not decisive factor in network development - if it was, then EI would be serving the likes of MEX and MOW by now.

IMHO, it would make more sense for EI's Texas service to be to DFW, to take advantage of AA's hub there (like why QF serves DFW and not IAH, too).

Cheers,

C.

izbtmnhd

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:35 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Sure EI has noted its intentional to develop its transfer traffic.... but I sincerely doubt they'd have the slightest interest in any of the aforementioned cities, any time soon.

I agree as well.

TheLion wrote:
I'd say most of the following are potentials by 2025:

DFW
CVG
CMH
BUF
PIT
MCI
STL
MKE
BGR
LAS
SEA
YUL
YHZ
PVG
HKG
PEK
TYO
BKK
KUL
DEL

Possibly also Virginia in the form of Richmond or Norfolk area airports, as suggested above.

Please, stop.

I know you're not a fan of CLE but this is the second thread where you put an airport in Maine ahead of Hopkins in regards to TATL service. You sound ridiculous. The Cleveland-Akron metro almost three times the population of the entire state of Maine. Bangor is a great little New England town but c'mon. If you want to be taken seriously put up a serious list.

stlgph

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:09 pm

knope2001 wrote:
[url][/url]
stlgph wrote:
If they were smart, they'd jump into a market where they could be ahead of the game, rather than playing catch up.

I'm looking at you, Milwaukee.

From your lips to God's ears, as they say!

Kidding (and wishful thinking) aside your point is not without some logic. Once you move beyond the top-tier destinations (which are almost obligatory) then where? Is there money left to be made as the 5th, 6th or 7th transatlantic carrier at a mid-sized destinations, or the 2nd, 3rd or 4th at smaller ones? Of course nothing says they must serve X points in the US. But finding a substantial market with no existing TATL competition could make more sense than squeezing into a market with multiple existing carriers.

Year after year Aer Lingus is a lead sponsor of Milwaukee Irish Fest, the largest celebration of Irish music and culture in North America and year after year I keep hoping they'll come to MKE. So far no such luck.

You just touched on my exact lines of reasoning.
I made that into a point, but it seems to have been deleted from this thread.

1. Aer Lingus would be the first TATL carrier at Milwaukee.
2. The service could draw from the local market, but also scoop into the northern suburbs of Chicagoland, which has Aer Lingus and One World presence, providing them with another alternative. It's along the same lines as why Aer Lingus began Hartford (drawing from local market, those inclined to drive to JFK & BOS who are also within convenience to BDL), and Newark, for the same reasons for the audience going to JFK, and the local market.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

evank516

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:40 pm

stlgph wrote:
knope2001 wrote:
[url][/url]
stlgph wrote:
If they were smart, they'd jump into a market where they could be ahead of the game, rather than playing catch up.

I'm looking at you, Milwaukee.

From your lips to God's ears, as they say!

Kidding (and wishful thinking) aside your point is not without some logic. Once you move beyond the top-tier destinations (which are almost obligatory) then where? Is there money left to be made as the 5th, 6th or 7th transatlantic carrier at a mid-sized destinations, or the 2nd, 3rd or 4th at smaller ones? Of course nothing says they must serve X points in the US. But finding a substantial market with no existing TATL competition could make more sense than squeezing into a market with multiple existing carriers.

Year after year Aer Lingus is a lead sponsor of Milwaukee Irish Fest, the largest celebration of Irish music and culture in North America and year after year I keep hoping they'll come to MKE. So far no such luck.

You just touched on my exact lines of reasoning.
I made that into a point, but it seems to have been deleted from this thread.

1. Aer Lingus would be the first TATL carrier at Milwaukee.
2. The service could draw from the local market, but also scoop into the northern suburbs of Chicagoland, which has Aer Lingus and One World presence, providing them with another alternative. It's along the same lines as why Aer Lingus began Hartford (drawing from local market, those inclined to drive to JFK & BOS who are also within convenience to BDL), and Newark, for the same reasons for the audience going to JFK, and the local market.

Not that it is a reason to justify a route, but why would an airline that doesn't even fly within 100 miles of a city sponsor an event? I mean, I get that it's an Irish Festival and EI is an Irish airline, but it would be like jetBlue Supporting Fantasy Fest in Key West, but they don't fly there or something or other.

kaitak

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:17 pm

Folks, here is a 4,000nm range ring (the estimated range of an A321neoLR from the centre of the known universe (otherwise known as Dublin - no bias ;-) ).

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=4000nm%40DUB

It covers many of the cities already listed, including MKE, PIT, CLE, DTW , YUL (more likely to be a DL route - but not impossible!) and many more.

I do see SEA and DFW being strong possibilities, but with 330s (even though I do think it's rather rude to be flying to Boeing's hometown on an Airbus!) rather than 321s.

Another factor to bear in mind is that EI/IAG and the DAA (the Dublin Airport Authority) are having a bit of a barney (as we say, at this side of the pond!) about facilities and growth potential at DUB. They built T2 about 8-10 years ago; nice facility, but it doesn't have much growth potential, being physically hemmed in. IAG/EI are making noises about EI operating flights from other EU cities to the US (and presumably Canada too), which opens up some interesting potential.

With Brexit coming and many major corporations seeking to move out of London, not to mention other political turmoil in the UK, Dublin is likely to become an increasingly important base for US/Canadian business in the EU, as well as a hub for travel to the EU. Dublin is very well situated to do this and quite apart from its geographical location, it's also a very "happening" place, with so much to do for the visiting tourist and business traveller. Its importance as a major hub can only grow and I see EI increasing its US presence continually. The initial EI order was for four A321neoLRs; a fifth has already been announced and IAG is said to be imminently looking at EI's business plan to add a few more, for a total of 12. And no doubt we'll be seeing more 330s as well ...

Channex757

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:57 pm

BDA

Think about it for a moment. Dublin and Bermuda are where the tech and banking industries intersect. Many big tech companies offshore earnings via low tax Ireland and transfer the money to places like Bermuda. I could see a smaller aircraft working well on a direct flight, instead of backtracking through LHR

B747forever

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:59 pm

A lot of members seems to emphasize the importance to be the 1st TATL carrier at a city. I dont really get what kind of advantage that brings, as another carrier can enter the same market and just offer lower fares. That would swing over the pax from EI to the new entrant, as I doubt those pax would stay loyal to EI just because they were there first.
Work Hard, Fly Right

stlgph

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:13 pm

B747forever wrote:
A lot of members seems to emphasize the importance to be the 1st TATL carrier at a city. I dont really get what kind of advantage that brings, as another carrier can enter the same market and just offer lower fares. That would swing over the pax from EI to the new entrant, as I doubt those pax would stay loyal to EI just because they were there first.

The big media splash and attention gets you a good amount of press and face time which could be valued around $2-3 million in free advertising.

kaitak

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:19 pm

stlgph wrote:
B747forever wrote:

The big media splash and attention gets you a good amount of press and face time which could be valued around $2-3 million in free advertising.

And if it's a relatively small market, it may not support more than one carrier - especially if the first carrier manages to make itself clearly visible as the "no brainer" option - a stress free trip, good value and good service, while avoiding major hubs like JFK/ORD and LHR/CDG. EI can do that.

Runway28L

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:24 pm

Would EI even have the ability to announce a single route in the short term? Isn't their fleet already at max utilization right now? I've seen Omni cover for EI with 762s a few times in the past on certain routes such as BOS.
Is EI taking any more A333s or 757s that would allow for such an expansion into NA, Asia, or elsewhere?

knope2001

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:32 pm

evank516 wrote:
Not that it is a reason to justify a route, but why would an airline that doesn't even fly within 100 miles of a city sponsor an event? I mean, I get that it's an Irish Festival and EI is an Irish airline, but it would be like jetBlue Supporting Fantasy Fest in Key West, but they don't fly there or something or other.

Actually EI does fly to O'Hare which is about 80 miles south of the festival site. O'Hare is where the huge majority of Milwaukee's transatlantic market flies through.

I like the idea of Aer Lingus in Milwaukee for a few key reasons:

--They are both a low-fare carrier and one with a long history and relatively well-known name.
--Ireland is geographically perceived as a good jumping-off point to access England and the entire continent. I know people hesitant to fly to London (for example) via Paris or Frankfurt because they perceive it as being so far out of the way.
--Ireland is pretty easy sell for discretionary travel from someplace like Wisconsin -- they speak English and southeastern Wisconsin has a solid number of people with Irish heritage.

B747forever wrote:

Certainly being first to a market does not insulate against new competition. The point of being the first TATL carrier is that a market may not have the ability to support two, three or more TATL carriers, and so once airline X is there it is less likely another carrier will challenge. For example Aer Lingus prospects may be better in a place like Columbus, Milwaukee or Kansas City than trying to push its way into Cincinnati or Cleveland as TATL carrier #3. And on the flipside if Aer Lingus was to start in Columbus, Milwaukee or Kansas City it would likely be less attractive for somebody like WOW as they would need to split the TATL traffic pool

aaflyer222

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:45 pm

EI should try summer service from ORD to SNN as it is an open market. IND to DUB may be possible in the future with 757 service, as IND is looking to grow international flights.
74m, 772, 763, 764, 752, 733, 734, 738, 739, a319, a320, a321, s80, m88, m90, e190, e170, e175, e140, e145, cr2, cr7, cr9, dh1, dh3, dh4, at72, s340

eaa3

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:48 pm

kaitak wrote:
Folks, here is a 4,000nm range ring (the estimated range of an A321neoLR from the centre of the known universe (otherwise known as Dublin - no bias ;-) ).

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=4000nm%40DUB

It covers many of the cities already listed, including MKE, PIT, CLE, DTW , YUL (more likely to be a DL route - but not impossible!) and many more.

I do see SEA and DFW being strong possibilities, but with 330s (even though I do think it's rather rude to be flying to Boeing's hometown on an Airbus!) rather than 321s.

Another factor to bear in mind is that EI/IAG and the DAA (the Dublin Airport Authority) are having a bit of a barney (as we say, at this side of the pond!) about facilities and growth potential at DUB. They built T2 about 8-10 years ago; nice facility, but it doesn't have much growth potential, being physically hemmed in. IAG/EI are making noises about EI operating flights from other EU cities to the US (and presumably Canada too), which opens up some interesting potential.

With Brexit coming and many major corporations seeking to move out of London, not to mention other political turmoil in the UK, Dublin is likely to become an increasingly important base for US/Canadian business in the EU, as well as a hub for travel to the EU. Dublin is very well situated to do this and quite apart from its geographical location, it's also a very "happening" place, with so much to do for the visiting tourist and business traveller. Its importance as a major hub can only grow and I see EI increasing its US presence continually. The initial EI order was for four A321neoLRs; a fifth has already been announced and IAG is said to be imminently looking at EI's business plan to add a few more, for a total of 12. And no doubt we'll be seeing more 330s as well ...

It's a beautiful picture but totally unrealistic. Given winds on the Atlantic, reserves, etc., 3200nm is more realistic.

thomasphoto60

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:40 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
N292UX wrote:
Everyone seems to be forgetting about IAH. 4th largest US city, should have strong O & D.

Actually, more relevant is that the population of the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington metro area is greater than that of Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land.

Population size is an important, but not decisive factor in network development - if it was, then EI would be serving the likes of MEX and MOW by now.

IMHO, it would make more sense for EI's Texas service to be to DFW, to take advantage of AA's hub there (like why QF serves DFW and not IAH, too).

Cheers,

C.

Agreed, while I love Houston (I live here after all), by most measures the numbers likely do not work. Also, the Irish population in Texas overall is simply not that great (I suspect that I'll probably get schooled on that statement {too busy or lazy take your pic to look up those numbers}) and doubt that Texas is much of a draw to our friends from the Shamrock Isles. If EI were to start DFW based only on O/D, it would likely fail. Like QF at DFW or NZ here, it's likely more about connections that their US partners provide and not O/D.

Hey, we're getting a SYD route in Jan, that's nothin to sneeze at....
"Show me the Braniffs"

Aisak

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:01 pm

Orlaithdub wrote:
As far as oneworld alliance, over a year since IAG mentioned that. It won't happen due to the huge cost.

The great thing about OW is the flexibility it offers for members and non-members.
Many years ago we read on OW press releases "LAN Ecuador is not member of oneworld" and months later "LAN Ecuador and LAN Argentina are not members of oneworld".

For quite some time LANPass members could take advantage of services and privileges over the whole LAN network (inc. EC and AR) and the rest of OW, but the rest of OW members couldn't count on LAN in EC and AR.
Aer Lingus left oneworld when at the "great March 2007", just at the same time OW welcomed Japan Airlines (and affiliates), Malev, Royal Jordanian and EC and AR affiliates of LAN.
It was said it was too costly for Aer Lingus to adapt systems and procedures to these new members for the little benefit brought to them.

Now it seems it is the time of IAG with Vueling and Aer Lingus. While Aer Lingus can benefit from cherry-picking its partners and it is even part of oneworld Round-the-world fare, but EI is no longer commited to oneworld rules and procedures.

Orlaithdub wrote:
AerSpace was mentioned by the COO, for the Shorthaul next year (sort of business class on the european flights, something that had been planned before IAG take over). It will be interesting to see if that really happens!

While it won't be anything really huge, it certainly adds several layers of complexity to the operation. It seems it would be just same seats, middle one empty, but it means a whole lot of work behind the scenes.
Catering for this new class? Will there be a curtain between the two classes or it would be just a fare designator?. How does it combine with connections? Are Are Lingus online connections fare classes being treated the same as interline? Are Fast Track, dedicated Check-in and lounges agreements in place at airports?

alancostello

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:22 pm

kaitak wrote:
The initial EI order was for four A321neoLRs; a fifth has already been announced and IAG is said to be imminently looking at EI's business plan to add a few more, for a total of 12. And no doubt we'll be seeing more 330s as well ...

FWIW, the initial order was actually for seven, and now sits at eight.

Galwayman

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:42 pm

LGA at the weekend , beats the stupid perimeter rule and leverages pre clearance

Cash cow €$€$€$

LAXffDUB

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:57 pm

I know people on this forum are hoping for EI coming to SEA and point out the business associations between the areas. But could anyone offer insight as to why DL doesn't serve the route despite having a big base there?

adam47150

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:09 pm

ussherd wrote:
Any thoughts as to what US cities could attract Aer Lingus service to Dublin? BDL was an interesting new destination and it seems to be a success. The more recent introduction of MIA and PHL feel like safer ventures. Could airports like the following attract EI? I've no idea if this would be possible; just speculating for my own entertainment.
-CLE and/or PIT
-PHF or ORF: serving the Hampton Roads / Richmond metro area?
-CVG, IND, CMH or SDF: e.g.: serve CVG and attract traffic from Indianapolis, Louisville and Columbus as well?

I would love to see my local airport (SDF) get international pax service, but with IND and CVG starting/expanding their TATL portfolios, I doubt you will ever see scheduled TATL/TPAC at SDF. They haven't been able to land the low hanging fruit of Mexico/Canada/Caribbean.

Also, Customs would have to MAJORLY step up their game. They don't have the staff or facilities to handle international passengers, as evidenced by that Swift Air diversion to Louisville in April.

ahj2000

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:55 am

JetBlueCLT wrote:
CLT

You know it :) honestly though, as awesome as that would Be, Charlotte would only offer connections. The Scotch-Irish population here isn’t close to the Emerald Isle. However, I guess if they join the JV anything is possible.
-Andrés Juánez

planemanofnz

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:08 am

LAXffDUB wrote:
I know people on this forum are hoping for EI coming to SEA and point out the business associations between the areas. But could anyone offer insight as to why DL doesn't serve the route despite having a big base there?

DUB - SEA has about 65 PDEW, which although a respectable figure, highlights the need for connecting passengers to make the service work.

SEA (DL's hub) does not really connect anywhere for European passengers, while DUB (EI's hub) is able to connect passengers from SEA to many places - therefore, the route is likely more suited to EI, than DL.

Cheers,

C.

stlgph

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:32 am

For Aer Lingus to come in and out of Seattle, wouldn't they have to pull an Icelandair and leave a plane sitting overnight, going out the next day, in order to meet connecting banks in/out of Dublin?

Orlaithdub

Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:42 am

Aisak wrote:
Orlaithdub wrote:
As far as oneworld alliance, over a year since IAG mentioned that. It won't happen due to the huge cost.

The great thing about OW is the flexibility it offers for members and non-members.
Many years ago we read on OW press releases "LAN Ecuador is not member of oneworld" and months later "LAN Ecuador and LAN Argentina are not members of oneworld".

For quite some time LANPass members could take advantage of services and privileges over the whole LAN network (inc. EC and AR) and the rest of OW, but the rest of OW members couldn't count on LAN in EC and AR.
Aer Lingus left oneworld when at the "great March 2007", just at the same time OW welcomed Japan Airlines (and affiliates), Malev, Royal Jordanian and EC and AR affiliates of LAN.
It was said it was too costly for Aer Lingus to adapt systems and procedures to these new members for the little benefit brought to them.

Now it seems it is the time of IAG with Vueling and Aer Lingus. While Aer Lingus can benefit from cherry-picking its partners and it is even part of oneworld Round-the-world fare, but EI is no longer commited to oneworld rules and procedures.

Orlaithdub wrote:
AerSpace was mentioned by the COO, for the Shorthaul next year (sort of business class on the european flights, something that had been planned before IAG take over). It will be interesting to see if that really happens!

While it won't be anything really huge, it certainly adds several layers of complexity to the operation. It seems it would be just same seats, middle one empty, but it means a whole lot of work behind the scenes.
Catering for this new class? Will there be a curtain between the two classes or it would be just a fare designator?. How does it combine with connections? Are Are Lingus online connections fare classes being treated the same as interline? Are Fast Track, dedicated Check-in and lounges agreements in place at airports?

Well The oneworld alliance entry of Aer Lingus seems to have been forgotten now. Not even at the time they launched the new loyalty program aerclub the idea was that strong. (Bearing in mind this was the only time they really considered to re-integrate Aer lingus in the OW). So I don't understand why people keep saying 'when Aer lingus joins OW' etc.

The Aerspace obviously plays a totally different game on the short haul market operated by the airline. It will be indeed a totally new exciting product, this is if it goes ahead.(it had been announced in 2015 by many medias and even by Aer lingus and then it never took off). Hopefully it will be different this time

S0Y

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:02 am

DFW talk is pie in the sky until EI make some sort of move towards OW - and we have seen nothing to date.
IMHO PIT might work as a 757/321 route.
SEA has lots of potential, but can they fill a A330?
TPA with 321LR sounds interesting

EI are conservative, I reckon YUL or PIT with a 757/A321 are the next additions
Cannot see EI flying eastwards, that ship has sailed

LAXffDUB

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:25 am

planemanofnz wrote:
LAXffDUB wrote:

DUB - SEA has about 65 PDEW, which although a respectable figure, highlights the need for connecting passengers to make the service work.

SEA (DL's hub) does not really connect anywhere for European passengers, while DUB (EI's hub) is able to connect passengers from SEA to many places - therefore, the route is likely more suited to EI, than DL.

Cheers,

C.

Thanks!

I understand your point but along with the Puget Sound companies having offices in Ireland, there are many Irish living there as well. And it is in DL's backyard. It would seem to be a ripe market for development.

FA9295

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:50 am

FA9295 wrote:
In my opinion:

SEA, DEN, PHX, AUS, MSY, PIT

Also SLC...

stratocruiser

Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:44 am

LAS was apparently seriously considered as a winter destination utilising an aircraft released from another route during the winter schedule.

kaitak

Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:18 am

alancostello wrote:
kaitak wrote:
The initial EI order was for four A321neoLRs; a fifth has already been announced and IAG is said to be imminently looking at EI's business plan to add a few more, for a total of 12. And no doubt we'll be seeing more 330s as well ...

FWIW, the initial order was actually for seven, and now sits at eight.

Yes, you're right - thanks. Old age strikes again!

They are, however, looking to add more, so the proposal currently being worked on by EI and to be approved by IAG is to add another four.

BA and Level are also said to be interested in the aircraft, so a larger order may be on the cards.

aemoreira1981

Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:52 am

Given the close B6 partnership, even though EI is owned by a company with two oneworld carriers, what about moving MIA flights to FLL? Also, what about SEA in a partnership with AS? For this to work, a lot of the service to NYC would need to go to A321LRs.

LAX772LR

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:28 am

The CEO of GNO Inc has repeated said that a nonstop DUB-MSY is a goal that they intend to seal within the remaining years of this decade.

First time I saw it mentioned was last paragraph in this article:
http://www.louisianaweekly.com/new-orle ... n-decades/
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

TheLion

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:40 am

LAX772LR wrote:
The CEO of GNO Inc has repeated said that a nonstop DUB-MSY is a goal that they intend to seal within the remaining years of this decade.

Fascinating news. You’d expect however that this route would mainly depend on connections, as O&D is likely to be extremely limited. Still, of additional European airlines who may be able to make MSY work, EI would be near the top of the list.

LAX772LR

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:02 am

TheLion wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Fascinating news. You’d expect however that this route would mainly depend on connections, as O&D is likely to be extremely limited.

Indeed.

France, Italy, the Netherlands, and Spain are all far larger markets to MSY than Ireland...... and the latter three aren't (by any measure) all that large at all.

But then again, they're also markets that could be conveniently connected over Ireland, so there's that.

TheLion wrote:
Still, of additional European airlines who may be able to make MSY work, EI would be near the top of the list.

Perhaps, though I wouldn't be surprised if they're more interested in D8, whose parent has already publicly voiced an interest in the route. Multiple times in fact.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

klm617

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Very strong rumors of Detroit being added soon. So don't be surprised when you see the Shamrock at Detroit in the next 2 years.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

ahj2000

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:41 pm

klm617 wrote:
Very strong rumors of Detroit being added soon. So don't be surprised when you see the Shamrock at Detroit in the next 2 years.

Where are these rumors from?
I actually think that EI is the perfect way for IAG to serve Detroit but can you name any ‘source’?
-Andrés Juánez

wedgetail737

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:59 pm

As you all know by now, SEA has been announced starting May 2018.

lavalampluva

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:31 pm

There's a pretty big hole between Chicago and the West Coast.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

WaywardMemphian

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:36 pm

TheLion wrote:

DFW
CVG
CMH
BUF
PIT
MCI
STL
MKE
BGR
LAS
SEA
YUL
YHZ
PVG
HKG
PEK
TYO
BKK
KUL
DEL

Possibly also Virginia in the form of Richmond or Norfolk area airports, as suggested above.

I'd add MEM to that if the A321LR has the legs.

BigTexFlyer

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:04 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

I actually think that EI is the perfect way for IAG to serve Detroit but can you name any ‘source’?

With all his other “rumors” about DTW. A new thread about Airline .... possibly expanding in the US, and this person posts about DTW.

Then we’ll here about the conspiracy against DTW when nothing happens or it’s DL’s fault.

Heck, if this person was right, DTW would have more International flights and carriers than JFK / LAX / MIA combined!

NichCage

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:21 pm

So PHL and SEA will be launched next year, which is confirmed.

Otherwise, why don't they fly to YUL? Montreal seems to make sense to Aer Lingus considering they used to serve the city. Both AC and TS serve the market.

FA9295

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:38 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
TheLion wrote:

DFW
CVG
CMH
BUF
PIT
MCI
STL
MKE
BGR
LAS
SEA
YUL
YHZ
PVG
HKG
PEK
TYO
BKK
KUL
DEL

I'd add MEM to that if the A321LR has the legs.

I would add PDX and SAN to that list, provided that there's enough demand for an A330 to fly those routes...

klm617

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:40 pm

BigTexFlyer wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

With all his other “rumors” about DTW. A new thread about Airline .... possibly expanding in the US, and this person posts about DTW.

Then we’ll here about the conspiracy against DTW when nothing happens or it’s DL’s fault.

Heck, if this person was right, DTW would have more International flights and carriers than JFK / LAX / MIA combined!

I believe if you check this is the first time I've used the word rumor BigTex.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

OzarkD9S

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:48 pm

When WOW announced service to STL I must have had a dozen people at work ask me about them since I'm the known av-geek and discretionary traveler to non-traditional STL vacation spots. Where did they want to go? Ireland mostly, with a couple to Paris. Not saying this very random sample indicates a viable market by any means, but the interest at least is there. I could see STL land DUB before LHR actually, would not be surprised. Nor would I be surprised if LHR came before, or instead of DUB.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

Jshank83

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:31 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
When WOW announced service to STL I must have had a dozen people at work ask me about them since I'm the known av-geek and discretionary traveler to non-traditional STL vacation spots. Where did they want to go? Ireland mostly, with a couple to Paris. Not saying this very random sample indicates a viable market by any means, but the interest at least is there. I could see STL land DUB before LHR actually, would not be surprised. Nor would I be surprised if LHR came before, or instead of DUB.

LHR will come to STL first but I would love a DUB flight from STL. I love Ireland. Aer Lingus has decent connections from DUB so I was hoping that would be one of our options but I can't see it happening now that STL got WOW (not comparing the two products). I just don't think the airport would go KEF, LHR, DUB. They will probably focus on FRA on Condor instead after LHR.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos