LAXintl
Topic Author

AirAsia X considers Korea-US flights

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:45 pm

At event celebrating the launch of service to Jeju Island, CEO Benyamin Ismail stated carrier is considering the option of utilizing 5th freedom rights to link Incheon or Busan to significant Korean populations on the US West Coast such as Los Angeles, San Francisco or Las Vegas.

Related he also stated the carriers new Hawaii service has “done beyond expectations”.

AirAsia X sees S Korea as a connecting hub
http://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/a ... ecting-hub

=

Like how AAX exploited the large underlying Japan-Hawaii demand, maybe they could similarly tap the large ethnic Korea-US traffic flow.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mercure1

Re: AirAsia X considers Korea-US flights

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:49 pm

As additional aircraft arrive they will need to place them somewhere, and based on their earnings North Asia markets are doing quite strongly for them, so why not also look at entering a large market like Korea-USA.
mercure f-wtcc

jfk777

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:15 pm

Its one thing to be stuck in an A330-300 for 7 hours with 400 people to Australia but to fly all the way from Kuala Lumpur to Los Angeles is quite another. There is such a thing a being "too cheap". Air AsiaX may want to upgrade it offering and have a real premium economy like Scoot or Jetstar. Especially if it gets A350-900 and its flights become longer with cities like London, San Francisco and Los Angeles. What works for medium haul does not always translate to long haul.

[email protected]

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:22 pm

AirAsia X has lie-flat seats in its premium cabin which really aren't priced high.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:59 pm

While I am sure KE/OZ wont be excited to hear the news, ICN-LAX for example is the largest Non-Japan to US market with over 1 million annual enplanements, so AAX should certainly be able to get a slice of this very big pie.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

carlokiii

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:40 am

Unless AirAsia gets a more livable aircraft and seating configuration for economy (like JQ/TR 787), then I don't think there will be many return customers. Anything more than three hours in a 9-abreast A330 in D7's pitch is terrible, an 11-hour flight must be inhumane

And it's not like Korea-US flights don't have enough bargain prices anyway, so how much lower can AirAsia peg its fares? Especially with bags and meals added (which are essentially a given for destinations 11 hours away)...

abrelosojos

Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:31 am

carlokiii wrote:
Unless AirAsia gets a more livable aircraft and seating configuration for economy (like JQ/TR 787), then I don't think there will be many return customers. Anything more than three hours in a 9-abreast A330 in D7's pitch is terrible, an 11-hour flight must be inhumane

And it's not like Korea-US flights don't have enough bargain prices anyway, so how much lower can AirAsia peg its fares? Especially with bags and meals added (which are essentially a given for destinations 11 hours away)...

= Yet, with loads continuously upwards of 80%, and a turnaround in profitability last two years, I am sure they are doing something right? Besides, they have been doing better financially than Scoot.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

zakuivcustom

Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:37 am

Try Air Caraibes and their 9.5 hours trans-atlantic flights. Still in business.

If the price is right, people will fly them. And chances are they'll fly the route with A350 instead of A333, especially if they really convert all the A330neo into A350s.

Pampot70

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 am

I agree that if price is right, people will fly. It has to be considered that Asians have a smaller body frame than Americans, so they can fit better in those seats. Some years ago I flew AUH-KUL on Etihad and a few days later KUL-MEL in AirasiaX. Guess what was more comfortable and pleasant...On a 3-3-3 seating, in case of long naps my wife, daughter and I just lean on each other and keep warm. I agree that temperature on D7 can get quite low at night.

Varsity1

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:12 am

I'd like to see them train their crews to first world standards first.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

peterinlisbon

Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:52 am

I've flown Air Asia's A330s and they're very comfortable. They are at least as good as other airlines I've flown with and better food. The only difference is that you have to pay for the food but it's pretty reasonable and you can order it online in advance. I had the satay chicken. Plus they have a very cheap business class.

RalXWB

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:19 am

It cannot be worse than AC´s high density 777s

Yahnih

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:34 am

I’ve taken Air Asia X on quite a few flights. I’ve jever had a problem with their service or seats. I like to do the 24 hour bids you can do for the lie flat seats or the quiet zone. Air Asia X can theoretically be profitable and work. I’m starting to see trends that the people that complain the most or have the most Doubt are people not in the target market..

flee

Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:22 am

jfk777 wrote:
Air AsiaX may want to upgrade it offering and have a real premium economy like Scoot or Jetstar.

They do have a Premium Flatbed cabin - please check out the review here:
https://www.ausbt.com.au/airasia-x-airb ... pur-sydney

jfk777

Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:36 am

flee wrote:
jfk777 wrote:
Air AsiaX may want to upgrade it offering and have a real premium economy like Scoot or Jetstar.

I know Air Asia X has two rows of J class lie flat seats. My observations are about the 3-3-3 coach section on their A330-300 airplanes. Most Air Asia X flights are regional in Asia or to Australia with 5 to 8 hour flights times. When they get A350-900 and fly to California or London such tight seating won't be so welcome.

Lie Flat seats are great, premium economy seating would be welcome to for 12 hour flights. Air Asia X needs to be more like Norwegian and less an ULCC.

HeeseokKoo

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:19 pm

3-3-3 on A330, but with 32" seat pitch, TAAX reviews are very very nice in many Korean blogs/forums. Many blogs recommend TAAX when traveling to Bangkok than some other narrow body LCCs (mostly 30"). Well, Asians are slimmer and 3-3-3 works fine.

I believe Malaysia doesn't have 5th freedom beyond Korea. Thai AAX could, for 4/w, unless TG still holds the right even after suspending LAX via ICN.

TerminalD

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:07 pm

My opinion of Air Asia X took a dive with this sentence. Who makes such a public statement without knowing whether it is legally possible? Is it that hard to figure out first? Very odd...

"We have to check if there is fifth freedom to do one stop, whether it’s Incheon or Busan,” said Benyamin. “As it is in Japan, there is unlimited fifth freedom to the [US] west coast. But of course we want to diverse our network, even via Korea.”

mikeyp224

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:53 pm

jfk777 wrote:
flee wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

I know Air Asia X has two rows of J class lie flat seats. My observations are about the 3-3-3 coach section on their A330-300 airplanes. Most Air Asia X flights are regional in Asia or to Australia with 5 to 8 hour flights times. When they get A350-900 and fly to California or London such tight seating won't be so welcome.

Lie Flat seats are great, premium economy seating would be welcome to for 12 hour flights. Air Asia X needs to be more like Norwegian and less an ULCC.

AirAsia X has 32" pitch in economy. That's better than most American carriers (31" for widebodies). While the seat width is just 16.5", that's not a far cry from a lot of the airlines that are going 10-abreast in the 777 (17" width).

I think at the end of the day there is something you are not realizing. There is a large market of people that are going to be willing to fly if the price is right.

worldranger

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:08 pm

jfk777 wrote:
Its one thing to be stuck in an A330-300 for 7 hours with 400 people to Australia but to fly all the way from Kuala Lumpur to Los Angeles is quite another. There is such a thing a being "too cheap". Air AsiaX may want to upgrade it offering and have a real premium economy like Scoot or Jetstar. Especially if it gets A350-900 and its flights become longer with cities like London, San Francisco and Los Angeles. What works for medium haul does not always translate to long haul.

People don’t care when it comes to pulling the trigger. My carrier is 10abreat 777, Operating the longest routes in the world...they just keep coming.

PatrickZ80

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:51 pm

jfk777 wrote:

First of all, this isn't kuala Lumpur - Los Angeles. It's Seoul - Los Angeles which is already half way. Even if you go all the way, it still gives you a chance to stretch your legs in Seoul. Second, as others have already said, if it's cheap enough people will fly anyway no matter how cramped it is.

I think this is good news, it gives you a chance to fly low-cost between Asia and mainland USA without stopping in Hawaii. So far all LCC service from Asia into the USA went no further than Hawaii which was a bit of a dead end. More Asian than American LCCs serve Hawaii, but with this service you can skip Hawaii.

AirAfreak

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:05 am

Based on my personal experiences, LAX-ICN nonstop services in Economy generally price higher with KE and OZ compared to a single connection operated by MU and CI. The difference in fare can be ~ 400USD and higher in some cases. If Air Asia prices their ICN-LAX flight slightly lower than KE/OZ, they could command favorable yields (compared to MU/CI) due to the preferable offering of a nonstop flight.
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

flee

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:28 am

mikeyp224 wrote:
jfk777 wrote:
flee wrote:

AirAsia X has 32" pitch in economy. That's better than most American carriers (31" for widebodies). While the seat width is just 16.5", that's not a far cry from a lot of the airlines that are going 10-abreast in the 777 (17" width).

I think at the end of the day there is something you are not realizing. There is a large market of people that are going to be willing to fly if the price is right.

Yes, if you are too tall (over 180 cm) or too fat (over 90 kg), you will not be comfortable on the economy seats.

I flew once on their now discontinued KUL-ORY route. It was on the A343 and it was a surprise to me that I managed to sleep! I am not a good sleeper and seldom get any on long haul flights, even with SQ! Maybe my expectations were low and I got a pleasant surprise! My other flights with D7 were on A333s - most of the time, I choose the quiet zone seats because I want peace and quiet during the flight and not crying or screaming babies!

I agree that D7's customers are mainly people who would not have flown had the fares been higher. Affordability is a big thing for them. I now take more trips because my budget for travel is the same as before - with cheaper tickets, it means I can book more flights. :)

LMFNINJA

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:33 am

RalXWB wrote:

I have flown on AC's "high density" 777s numerous times from YYZ-CDG and they were actually quite comfortable.

Cannot say the same about Rouge's A319s.

LMFNINJA

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:33 am

RalXWB wrote:

I have flown on AC's "high density" 777s numerous times from YYZ-CDG and they were actually quite comfortable.

Cannot say the same about Rouge's A319s.

tysmith95

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:19 am

BOS-ICN is a large unfulfilled market. It's a matter of time before a carrier jumps on that.

flee

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:59 am

TerminalD wrote:
My opinion of Air Asia X took a dive with this sentence. Who makes such a public statement without knowing whether it is legally possible? Is it that hard to figure out first? Very odd...

"We have to check if there is fifth freedom to do one stop, whether it’s Incheon or Busan,” said Benyamin. “As it is in Japan, there is unlimited fifth freedom to the [US] west coast. But of course we want to diverse our network, even via Korea.”

Why not?

I think he was answering a reporter's question. Knowing how long approvals for routes to the US can take (their HNL approvals took about 2+ years), we can almost certainly say that Korea-US routes will be operated by the A330Neos that will arrive in 2019 or later. He probably meant that they are considering it but have not really done any serious work as yet. That was why they need to check the rights before they can think of proceeding.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos