Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi

Re: Jet2 flies a 737 with one passenger !

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:31 am

Never had a plane to myself but I did have a whole cabin just for me, the nose of a 747. Many years ago flying back to UK from MCO with Virgin, a Monday night flight with very light load. Addressed by first name a spoilt rotten, great time. :bouncy:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Woodreau

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:38 pm

On EAS flights in the US there were many times we had flights with one passenger or no passengers on board.

When we had just one passenger on board, we would greet them by name offer them any seat on the aircraft.

The aircraft was a 1900 so we would offer them a headset to plug in to the intercom in seat 1A and left the cockpit door open so that they could see us working up front and they could hear what we were doing up front and hear our communication with ATC and company radios.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

JannEejit
Topic Author

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:59 pm

Woodreau wrote:
On EAS flights in the US there were many times we had flights with one passenger or no passengers on board.

When we had just one passenger on board, we would greet them by name offer them any seat on the aircraft.

The aircraft was a 1900 so we would offer them a headset to plug in to the intercom in seat 1A and left the cockpit door open so that they could see us working up front and they could hear what we were doing up front and hear our communication with ATC and company radios.

That's great, well done. I'm often amazed at just how interested non aviation fan passengers are in the inflight process, beyond that of the typical situation.

jomur

Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:17 pm

I actually checked in the lady in question. She was expecting a few more passengers as it seems she does this route fairly often. We have a had a few flights with not many passengers on towards the end of the season and as stated the aircraft have been coming back full as people come back from half-term school holidays..

nikeherc

Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:31 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
nikeherc wrote:
I took a United flight from CAE to DCA with an intermediate stop in IAD. The IAD-DCA leg was a positioning flight, but UA gave it the same number as the flight from CAE to their IAD hub, so it was available to be booked. The travel agent booked me on this flight instead of a US non-stop because the flight time was what I asked for and the fare was acceptable. I didn't even notice the situation until I got to the airport in Columbia.

Was that on a J31 or J41 by any chance? I have an old early 1990s UA timetable that shows all the DCA-IAD and BWI-IAD feeder flights UA used to operate.

It was a 737 of some variety. Quite a ways back in time.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

MatthewDB

Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:46 pm

ITMercure wrote:
When I was a child and as my dad was a captain / flight instructor on the Caravelle 12, he would once in a while take me with him when positioning an aircraft for flight training (used to happen in Nîmes / FNI). Of course I would not be onboard during the training, only on the positioning non-revenue legs. And I was alone in the cabin, with stewardesses caring for me, only for me (there were stewardesses because that was their only occasion to practice in real-life conditions some smoke evacuation drills: aircraft at low speed, opening the wing escape hatches and the rear stair altogether at maybe 6,000 ft. Before the drill I was requested to seat myself in the first row of the cabin, which was a backward-facing seat so by just looking down the alley I could see the ground from the open rear-stair. Fond memories!

That's an awesome story ITMercure. Any idea why they'd practice opening the doors in the air?

ITMercure

Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:51 pm

That's an awesome story ITMercure. Any idea why they'd practice opening the doors in the air?[/quote]

They practiced for smoke-in-the-cabin evacuation, rushing air through the cabin. I have never seen that stuff anywhere else, but maybe this is common safety measure on airplanes equiped with a rear stait that can be opened inflight?

tb727

Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:00 pm

Did DTW-RSW one night with 6 pax on an A320. We put them all in the exit rows. Oversold coming back North.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Dominion301

Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:41 pm

The lowest load on a > 100 seater aircraft I've ever been on is 13 pax. It was on a LCC, so there was no free upgrade though.

Like many others here, it was a start of season, seasonal sun route heading back to Canada. Inbound was pretty full, outbound empty...however, 13 is more than I would have expected. Just goes to show the point-of-sale is not entirely from the sun-seekers on seasonal sun routes.

eurowings

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:33 pm

These start/end of season flights are great. I flew SZG to SOU on Flybe at the very start of the ski season with only myself and another passenger onboard.
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

BHXLOVER

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:34 pm

Only 2 on Jet 2 BHX to Crete flight and one had paid for extra legroom !!!

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/l ... e-13838482

Q

Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:27 pm

I flew on McCain 727 from Rockford to Chicago O'Hare that's their last flight schedule on myself passenger back in late 1986 or 87...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos