jhsusman
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:06 pm

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:25 am

Are they planning to expand the immigration and customs facilities now that the A concourse is getting a bunch more international gate capacity?
 
rph99
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 3:27 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:31 am

jhsusman wrote:
Are they planning to expand the immigration and customs facilities now that the A concourse is getting a bunch more international gate capacity?



All they will need is more people to run it! DEN’s customs facility is actually quite large....it has just never been used to full (maybe not even half capacity). Add a few more flights to Asia (including India and a route from one of the M3’s), a few more European routes and a sprinkle of additional Central/South American routes.....customs in Denver will be far more exciting!
 
iahcsr
Posts: 4777
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:58 pm

rph99 wrote:
jhsusman wrote:
Are they planning to expand the immigration and customs facilities now that the A concourse is getting a bunch more international gate capacity?



All they will need is more people to run it! DEN’s customs facility is actually quite large....it has just never been used to full (maybe not even half capacity). Add a few more flights to Asia (including India and a route from one of the M3’s), a few more European routes and a sprinkle of additional Central/South American routes.....customs in Denver will be far more exciting!

What makes you think CPB will add more staffing? More $ has to come from some nameless Government bureaucratic authority to do that. :banghead:
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
airfrnt
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:05 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:29 pm

jhsusman wrote:
Are they planning to expand the immigration and customs facilities now that the A concourse is getting a bunch more international gate capacity?


As noted, there is no problem with the actual immigration and customs facilities. The biggest bottleneck is actually the number of international gates, which can also be fairly easily opened.
 
User avatar
Californiadream
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:59 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:35 pm

caverunner17 wrote:
trexel94 wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
DEN needs more international gates, including wide body gates. Things are cramped on Concourse A on certain days. WN shows no signs of slowing down their growth. They may even need more space for international operations if growth continues. Skywest has been growing their EAS network in recent months. UA is using mainline gates for regional planes lately as well. AS and VX will consolidate on C in April. Hopefully they add PDX, SAN, and/or SJC in the future. Rumor has Aer Lingus and Etihad on the verge of announcing DEN as well. Emirates has been targeted for quite some time as well. Norwegian is also considering Oslo, as their LGW is doing well and has a fair amount of connections to Oslo.

F9 continues to shrink at DEN, so that may free up gates. AA also continues to shrink at DEN, dropping frequencies to LAX, CLT, and PHL next year.


Interesting info but why would Aer Lingus serve Denver? Wouldn't it be better if they flew to DFW? How much commerce is there between Ireland and Colorado? During Norwegian Air's inaugural ceremony I spoke with Kim Davis (Airport Director) and she mentioned that both Seoul and Beijing were on the cards as well the possibility of Norwegian Air adding BCN if the LGW and CDG flights go well. Plus SAS to Copenhagen is a possibility as well.

Although it's unlikely we'll see every single one these airlines serve Denver anytime soon its still exciting.


I doubt it's 100% DEN-DUB traffic. It could be IAG readjusting and downsizing BA from a 744 to a 772 or 789 due to 3x competition on DEN-LON with UA and Norwegian allowing for more OneWorld connections to Europe through a second hub. My guess is it would also be just seasonal.

I always figured PEK would be in the cards in the near future as well on one of the Chinese carriers. I see DEN somewhat similar to SEA in terms of O&D traffic. Although SEA has a few larger corporations and a 30% higher population than DEN does, the state GDPs are nearly identical and both are very tech/business focused with increasing demand.

For international long haul carriers SEA has:
    Air France
    ANA
    Asiana
    British Airways
    Condor (Frankfort & Munich)
    Emirates
    Eurowings (Cologne)
    Hainan (Beijing & Shanghai)
    Icelandair
    Korean Air
    Lufthansa (Frankfort)
    Norwegian (LGW)
    Virgin Atlantic
    Xiamen Air (Shenzhen & Xiamen)
    Plus Delta's hub to Asia (not going to list all)

Actually, it looks like Denver and Portland currently (as of Summer 2017) had similar long haul flights

Portland
    Icelandair
    Delta (Amsterdam, London and Tokyo)
    Condor to Frankfort

Denver Summer 17' had:
    British Airways
    Lufthansa (Frankfort & Munich)
    Icelandair
    United (Toyko)

Adding this year or next year to DEN:
    Norwegian (Paris & London)
    United (London)
    Edelweiss (Zurich)

So while Summer TATL should essentially double, DEN still has the single UA 788 to NRT. Somewhat surprised they haven't upguaged it to the 789 to rotate with the LAX frequency to NRT at least.


Mustn't forget AC in all its versions. They have a terrific international presence out of their hubs at YVR, YYZ & YUL, and they offer easy connections out of DEN, PHX, SEA and PDX, among other US cities.
 
trexel94
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:44 pm

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:08 pm

Are there any plans to renovate or at least update the existing concourses? Its my understanding that the extension plans includes some interior work and new concessions. Does this entail that the concourses will receive a general revamp? As much as I like DEN it hasn't seen any major renovations since it opened. Its starting to get a little long in the tooth and if DEN has any aspirations of becoming a major gateway then a refresh needs to extend to A,B & C as well particularly with concern to adding more power ports, updating restrooms, departure gates etc. Maybe a dedicated international terminal like TBIT with premium shops and restaurants? Plus the exterior could use some TLC too.

Just some observations
 
caverunner17
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:50 pm

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:46 am

Californiadream wrote:
caverunner17 wrote:
trexel94 wrote:

Interesting info but why would Aer Lingus serve Denver? Wouldn't it be better if they flew to DFW? How much commerce is there between Ireland and Colorado? During Norwegian Air's inaugural ceremony I spoke with Kim Davis (Airport Director) and she mentioned that both Seoul and Beijing were on the cards as well the possibility of Norwegian Air adding BCN if the LGW and CDG flights go well. Plus SAS to Copenhagen is a possibility as well.

Although it's unlikely we'll see every single one these airlines serve Denver anytime soon its still exciting.


I doubt it's 100% DEN-DUB traffic. It could be IAG readjusting and downsizing BA from a 744 to a 772 or 789 due to 3x competition on DEN-LON with UA and Norwegian allowing for more OneWorld connections to Europe through a second hub. My guess is it would also be just seasonal.

I always figured PEK would be in the cards in the near future as well on one of the Chinese carriers. I see DEN somewhat similar to SEA in terms of O&D traffic. Although SEA has a few larger corporations and a 30% higher population than DEN does, the state GDPs are nearly identical and both are very tech/business focused with increasing demand.

For international long haul carriers SEA has:
    Air France
    ANA
    Asiana
    British Airways
    Condor (Frankfort & Munich)
    Emirates
    Eurowings (Cologne)
    Hainan (Beijing & Shanghai)
    Icelandair
    Korean Air
    Lufthansa (Frankfort)
    Norwegian (LGW)
    Virgin Atlantic
    Xiamen Air (Shenzhen & Xiamen)
    Plus Delta's hub to Asia (not going to list all)

Actually, it looks like Denver and Portland currently (as of Summer 2017) had similar long haul flights

Portland
    Icelandair
    Delta (Amsterdam, London and Tokyo)
    Condor to Frankfort

Denver Summer 17' had:
    British Airways
    Lufthansa (Frankfort & Munich)
    Icelandair
    United (Toyko)

Adding this year or next year to DEN:
    Norwegian (Paris & London)
    United (London)
    Edelweiss (Zurich)

So while Summer TATL should essentially double, DEN still has the single UA 788 to NRT. Somewhat surprised they haven't upguaged it to the 789 to rotate with the LAX frequency to NRT at least.


Mustn't forget AC in all its versions. They have a terrific international presence out of their hubs at YVR, YYZ & YUL, and they offer easy connections out of DEN, PHX, SEA and PDX, among other US cities.


Apples to oranges. You might as well include every airline then because of connections at LAX, SFO, ORD etc.

Non stop long haul flights are what matter. Air China can provide a ton more connections in Beijing to interior China or the rest of Asia than the handful of places the AC flies to.
 
rph99
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 3:27 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:01 am

iahcsr wrote:
rph99 wrote:
jhsusman wrote:
Are they planning to expand the immigration and customs facilities now that the A concourse is getting a bunch more international gate capacity?



All they will need is more people to run it! DEN’s customs facility is actually quite large....it has just never been used to full (maybe not even half capacity). Add a few more flights to Asia (including India and a route from one of the M3’s), a few more European routes and a sprinkle of additional Central/South American routes.....customs in Denver will be far more exciting!

What makes you think CPB will add more staffing? More $ has to come from some nameless Government bureaucratic authority to do that. :banghead:



Oh, don’t get me wrong, I completely agree! All I was saying is that the place is plenty big. More personnel would be the only need for more international traffic as a result of concourse expansion.
 
fry530
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:33 am

rph99 wrote:
jhsusman wrote:
Are they planning to expand the immigration and customs facilities now that the A concourse is getting a bunch more international gate capacity?



All they will need is more people to run it! DEN’s customs facility is actually quite large....it has just never been used to full (maybe not even half capacity). Add a few more flights to Asia (including India and a route from one of the M3’s), a few more European routes and a sprinkle of additional Central/South American routes.....customs in Denver will be far more exciting!


Sometimes flights have to wait to disembark because of the staffing issues. My dad flew in from NRT on Friday and had to wait since all of CBP was taking lunch. This is not the first time that’s happened to him either. I would imagine it happens other times as well. Perhaps not in the afternoon when the London/Frankfurt/Munich/Reykjavik flights come in, but lines can be crazy long then too. Hopefully more agents are hired!
319 320 32N 321 332 333 722 733 735 73G 738 739 744 752 763 772 77W CR2 CR7 Q400 E145 E170 DC10 MD80
AA BA BD CO DL EI F9 HP NW NZ UA U2 WN Y4
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3237
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:11 am

jhsusman wrote:
I wonder where the extra 13 gates will go? The 26 gates were suppose to be: 12 at the west end of the A Concourse (including some international gates); 10 at the east end of the C Concourse (for Southwest) and 4 at the west end of United's B Concourse. It looks like the temporary A gates (east end) are getting close to being ready. . .


C can still expand on both ends easily adding the 13 additional gates.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3237
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:46 am

jhsusman wrote:
I wonder where the extra 13 gates will go? The 26 gates were suppose to be: 12 at the west end of the A Concourse (including some international gates); 10 at the east end of the C Concourse (for Southwest) and 4 at the west end of United's B Concourse. It looks like the temporary A gates (east end) are getting close to being ready. . .


C can still expand on both ends easily adding the 13 additional gates.

Like this:
-Move commuter flights to new concourse on east side along Terminal road.
-20 gates without affecting much infrastructure already there.
-Connected to main terminal just south of bridge to concourse A.

-Extend concourse A east into old commuter location & west to match Concourse B length.
-26 gates old, 46 gates expanded.

-Extend both ends of concourse C.
-27 "C" gates old, 46 "C" gates expanded.

Would give at least 39 more mainline gates with only need to add small commuter concourse while expanding A & C.
With 8 flights/gate a day that could add 312 flights.
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:44 pm

rbavfan wrote:
jhsusman wrote:
I wonder where the extra 13 gates will go? The 26 gates were suppose to be: 12 at the west end of the A Concourse (including some international gates); 10 at the east end of the C Concourse (for Southwest) and 4 at the west end of United's B Concourse. It looks like the temporary A gates (east end) are getting close to being ready. . .


C can still expand on both ends easily adding the 13 additional gates.

Like this:
-Move commuter flights to new concourse on east side along Terminal road.
-20 gates without affecting much infrastructure already there.
-Connected to main terminal just south of bridge to concourse A.

-Extend concourse A east into old commuter location & west to match Concourse B length.
-26 gates old, 46 gates expanded.

-Extend both ends of concourse C.
-27 "C" gates old, 46 "C" gates expanded.

Would give at least 39 more mainline gates with only need to add small commuter concourse while expanding A & C.
With 8 flights/gate a day that could add 312 flights.


Construction/expansion on the east side of A began months ago. Spirit moved from A52 and A60 to C to accommodate construction. Boutique and Great Lakes are now at the very end of the building.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
timf
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:36 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:27 pm

The current eastern expansion of Concourse A is supposed to be an interim arrangement. It's not being built in line with the existing concourse to allow for future expansion on the permanent alignment. What I don't understand is where this fits into their ultimate plans. They are clearly planning to build permanent extensions to all the concourses, so why only an interim expansion now? I don't see any mention of a permanent eastern Concourse A in the expansion plans. Are they really planning on only having the interim expansion for the foreseeable future, or am I missing something?
 
airfrnt
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:05 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:21 pm

trexel94 wrote:
Are there any plans to renovate or at least update the existing concourses? Its my understanding that the extension plans includes some interior work and new concessions. Does this entail that the concourses will receive a general revamp? As much as I like DEN it hasn't seen any major renovations since it opened. Its starting to get a little long in the tooth and if DEN has any aspirations of becoming a major gateway then a refresh needs to extend to A,B & C as well particularly with concern to adding more power ports, updating restrooms, departure gates etc. Maybe a dedicated international terminal like TBIT with premium shops and restaurants? Plus the exterior could use some TLC too.

Just some observations


They typically do a slow rollout of refurbishments as time (and budget) allows. They did a pretty good scrub down of C before WN came in, and also have worked some on A. B needs a lot of love, but the gates are controlled by UA, who has been very reluctant to make investments there. (The lounge there is one of the worst of any hub). I don't think we will see anything akin to a TBIT until we get Concourse D, but even then, I think A will just become more dominated by International traffic, as the system they have there works really well.
 
guppyflyer
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:41 pm

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:08 am

Here's an article from today's Denver Post with images of the expansion.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/01/dia-gate-expansion-ceo-comments/
 
airfrnt
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:05 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:01 pm

Here is a updated master airport layout for the expansion:

https://www.flydenver.com/sites/default ... 0Areas.pdf
 
airfrnt
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:05 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:07 pm

A couple of more details from the vote on the biz committee in Denver:
1) There will be a additional train added to the train system to increase capacity.
2) They anticipate that this will cover the airport for the next 15 years, or to roughly 80 million passengers.
3) There are growth projections that could take the airport to 80 million, which this would not be sufficient for
4) There are a few more expansion areas, especially on A that would be available.
5) The temporary gate space on A is simply there to buffer until the construction is done
6) The new gates on A will be internationally enabled, and there is a plan to extend international to 4 more gates if needed for a cost of 10 million.
7) The airport can accommodate a A380 with dual loading if demand exists. A study was done for LH last year.
8) The next step after this growth is D, but there remain issues due to the train system design that makes things expensive.
 
mcg
Posts: 975
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:49 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:39 pm

Just slightly off topic, what's the construction on the ramp in front of gate B50. Lots of concrete getting smashed.
 
xjetflyer2001
Topic Author
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:20 pm

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:05 pm

Very happy to see plans for more widebody international gates on Concourse A, definitely needed, really exciting to see what the near future holds for Denver
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:22 pm

mcg wrote:
Just slightly off topic, what's the construction on the ramp in front of gate B50. Lots of concrete getting smashed.


Replacing the concrete ramp areas for most of the B gates. 2-3 gates at a time over the next couple of years. B38-46 were just completed.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy
 
midway7
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:24 pm

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:06 pm

Just curious, could you simply build out the ends of each concourse, under the original terminal design, and add sufficient gates to avoid the need to add Concourse D. I seem to recall reading something back in the day when the airport opened that if fully extended, each concourse was capable of approx 100 gates. This was before the RJ days, so now you could likely get more. Reason for sticking to the original design is you keep future options for aircraft size open, as opposed to some of the limitations that exist on B east with the RJ specific wing that was added.
 
mcg
Posts: 975
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:49 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:06 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
mcg wrote:
Just slightly off topic, what's the construction on the ramp in front of gate B50. Lots of concrete getting smashed.


Replacing the concrete ramp areas for most of the B gates. 2-3 gates at a time over the next couple of years. B38-46 were just completed.


Thanks for the info, looks like a pretty ugly job.
 
airfrnt
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:05 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:41 pm

midway7 wrote:
Just curious, could you simply build out the ends of each concourse, under the original terminal design, and add sufficient gates to avoid the need to add Concourse D. I seem to recall reading something back in the day when the airport opened that if fully extended, each concourse was capable of approx 100 gates. This was before the RJ days, so now you could likely get more. Reason for sticking to the original design is you keep future options for aircraft size open, as opposed to some of the limitations that exist on B east with the RJ specific wing that was added.


This expansion should take the airport to 80-85 million, and there might be room for another 5 million with the remaining gates. Anything over that would require a new concourse.
 
SteelChair
Posts: 1154
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:37 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:18 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
Does Denver really need a 7th runway?



Yes, and an 8th. With 4 north south runways, and only 2 east west runways and a strong west wind today, there are 90 minute delays in the ground delay program.
 
trexel94
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:44 pm

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Tue May 29, 2018 9:34 pm

DEN officially broke ground on its 39 gate expansion this morning. Completion of the expansion is expected for Concourse B in 2020 with the remaining A and C concourses in spring 2021.

Renderings of the project can be found in the link below as well.
https://www.flydenver.com/sites/default ... gFINAL.pdf

DEN's five year goal road map
https://www.flydenver.com/sites/default ... _Final.pdf

DEN's goal is to ultimately become an international gateway. What airlines do you think DEN could attract in the long term? Let the airline speculation resume!
 
Utex21
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 9:37 pm

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Tue May 29, 2018 9:50 pm

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news ... es-to.html

This is behind a paywall but the Colorado Economic Development Commission approved $400k in incentives to an unnamed airline to potentially begin a new nonstop to Europe in 2019. The article says it would be the second nonstop from the U.S. to that destination.
 
User avatar
787fan8
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 8:05 pm

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Tue May 29, 2018 10:05 pm

trexel94 wrote:
DEN officially broke ground on its 39 gate expansion this morning. Completion of the expansion is expected for Concourse B in 2020 with the remaining A and C concourses in spring 2021.

Renderings of the project can be found in the link below as well.
https://www.flydenver.com/sites/default ... gFINAL.pdf

DEN's five year goal road map
https://www.flydenver.com/sites/default ... _Final.pdf

DEN's goal is to ultimately become an international gateway. What airlines do you think DEN could attract in the long term? Let the airline speculation resume!

I think Emirates would be an excellent candidate for service. DXB would be great for connections, and the Indian population in the Denver area is thriving.

Hainan would be a good candidate as well, as China is a huge unserved market from DEN.
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate
 
guppyflyer
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:41 pm

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Tue May 29, 2018 11:02 pm

Utex21 wrote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2018/04/19/colorado-eco-devo-leaders-offer-big-incentives-to.html

This is behind a paywall but the Colorado Economic Development Commission approved $400k in incentives to an unnamed airline to potentially begin a new nonstop to Europe in 2019. The article says it would be the second nonstop from the U.S. to that destination.


"Project Transatlantic is proposing to offer nonstop flights from DIA beginning in spring 2019. The schedule under consideration is four times weekly service, year-round, on an Airbus A330-200 aircraft with a capacity of 266 seats."

Hmmmm.....who has a 266-seat A330-200.........Aer Lingus does. Coincidence??? :)
 
acentauri
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:35 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Tue May 29, 2018 11:33 pm

guppyflyer wrote:
Utex21 wrote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2018/04/19/colorado-eco-devo-leaders-offer-big-incentives-to.html

This is behind a paywall but the Colorado Economic Development Commission approved $400k in incentives to an unnamed airline to potentially begin a new nonstop to Europe in 2019. The article says it would be the second nonstop from the U.S. to that destination.


"Project Transatlantic is proposing to offer nonstop flights from DIA beginning in spring 2019. The schedule under consideration is four times weekly service, year-round, on an Airbus A330-200 aircraft with a capacity of 266 seats."

Hmmmm.....who has a 266-seat A330-200.........Aer Lingus does. Coincidence??? :)

Ref: "The article says it would be the second nonstop from the U.S. to that destination"
Aer Lingus already flies to DUB from 12 U.S. cities and to SNN from 2 U.S. cities. SO, it certainly is not DUB or SNN and consequently not likely to be EI, unless they decided to fly to Cork, or ? - super unlikely.
 
trexel94
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:44 pm

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 12:18 am

Utex21 wrote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2018/04/19/colorado-eco-devo-leaders-offer-big-incentives-to.html

This is behind a paywall but the Colorado Economic Development Commission approved $400k in incentives to an unnamed airline to potentially begin a new nonstop to Europe in 2019. The article says it would be the second nonstop from the U.S. to that destination.


Any clue as to who this mysterious airline/route would be? Just the 2nd nonstop to the US? Most of the cities below have at least two or more US flights but still very few compared to hubs like AMS or FRA. Could it be on a leisure airline like Eurowings or Thomascook? I'm wondering if the writer of the article goofed up the facts because with that criteria the pickings are slim and I would be shocked to see announced for DEN.

Here are a few airports with only one route to the US
- Hamburg (EWR only)
- Nice (JFK only)
- Porto (EWR only)
- Prague (JFK only)
- Stuttgart (ATL only)

A few European airports with two or more US destinations but still fairly limited service
- OSL
- GVA
- LIS
- SNN
- HEL
- MAN
- TXL
- BRU
- VIE
- ATH
 
crazytoaster
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:09 pm

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 12:54 am

guppyflyer wrote:
Utex21 wrote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2018/04/19/colorado-eco-devo-leaders-offer-big-incentives-to.html

This is behind a paywall but the Colorado Economic Development Commission approved $400k in incentives to an unnamed airline to potentially begin a new nonstop to Europe in 2019. The article says it would be the second nonstop from the U.S. to that destination.


"Project Transatlantic is proposing to offer nonstop flights from DIA beginning in spring 2019. The schedule under consideration is four times weekly service, year-round, on an Airbus A330-200 aircraft with a capacity of 266 seats."

Hmmmm.....who has a 266-seat A330-200.........Aer Lingus does. Coincidence??? :)


I don't have access to the site but I found more details here:

https://choosecolorado.com/wp-content/u ... 9-2018.pdf

Project Transatlantic
Hadwiger presented Project Transatlantic. Project Transatlantic is proposing to offer nonstop flights from
DIA beginning in spring 2019. The schedule under consideration is four times weekly service, year-round,
on an Airbus A330-200 aircraft with a capacity of 266 seats.
Staff is requesting a two-year, $400,000 EDC marketing/performance cash grant in support of this project.
The grant will consist of a reimbursement of 50% of marketing activities as mutually agreed upon between
OEDIT and the airline, up to $200,000 per year. This grant is at the average of other EDC Strategic
Initiatives recently offered promoting new direct international flights. Denver International Airport will
provide at a minimum a $1:$1 match.
M/S/P – Duran, Clark – Project Transatlantic approved as presented and recommended by staff.


Seems like Aer Lingus could be the winner
DEN homebase. Frequent traveler to IND and RNO.
 
freakyrat
Posts: 1735
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:04 pm

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 12:58 am

Concourse A West will get an additional 12 gates, B West will get 4 additional gates, B East will get 9 additional gates, and Concourse C East will get 16 gates.
 
Beechtobus
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 2:09 am

The renderings look very light filled and modern and airy. The current concourses, while being very spacious, are very....early 90s. Does anyone have the word if the existing portions of the concourses are going to be renovated to the design of the extensions or if there is just going to be a weird transition from early 90s design to late 20 teens design.
 
Jake1993P
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 2:14 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 2:19 am

I haven't seen this question posed anywhere, so I'll ask here. In regards to DIA's plan for the "Great Hall" and moving security to the 6th level with ticketing, how will this affect the roadways on the east and west side of the terminal as passengers being dropped off will now have half the curb space that they currently do if security is to take up the northern portion of the current ticket counters. The curb is already congested, and I hate to see what having an increasing amount of drop offs in half the space will do to traffic.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1745
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 4:35 am

Beechtobus wrote:
The renderings look very light filled and modern and airy. The current concourses, while being very spacious, are very....early 90s. Does anyone have the word if the existing portions of the concourses are going to be renovated to the design of the extensions or if there is just going to be a weird transition from early 90s design to late 20 teens design.


Well they're redoing the concessions right now so that should help somewhat. All the concourses have also had the carpeting replaced in the last few years.

Those renderings look nice and modern. The gate areas also look more open than the current ones. I just hope the exterior also matches. The most recent extension of the C concourse has always bothered me because the exterior has a sandstone cladding, and the gate areas have lower ceilings than the rest of the concourse. Looks like this C extension will also have the lower ceilings, while the A and B concourse extensions will have the higher ceiling.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 4:39 am

freakyrat wrote:
Concourse A West will get an additional 12 gates, B West will get 4 additional gates, B East will get 9 additional gates, and Concourse C East will get 16 gates.


B concourse will not be gaining any gates.

The odd B81-91 will be going away (the north side of the south UAX finger), and the UAX gates on the north UAX finger will be consolidated to mainline gates.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy
 
748iDEN
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 8:40 am

I’m not sure if this is even possible but for the *A sake I would imagine that having FIS at B would be very helpful. Especially for UA and LH which could allow for easier connections as it’s not exactly convenient to connect the way everything is set up as is.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1745
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 10:15 am

748iDEN wrote:
I’m not sure if this is even possible but for the *A sake I would imagine that having FIS at B would be very helpful. Especially for UA and LH which could allow for easier connections as it’s not exactly convenient to connect the way everything is set up as is.


I think that would be really hard to do. There'd be no way of separating international arriving passengers in B and getting them back to the terminal short of building an express line train and separate platform (which would be excessive) or bussing them back on the apron (which is not glamorous.) If UA really wanted FIS in its own concourse, then UA could maybe take over a chunk of A again and boot DL/AA/NK/F9/B6/G4/SY to another concourse when it's time to build another one in 10-15 years. By that point, UA will have overgrown a fully-expanded B and would need to split up into at least two concourses. The question is whether those airlines would be willing to move (even to a brand new concourse) and/or whether UA would be willing to pay them to move. I doubt AA and DL would be too keen on moving out of A, but between them, the other airlines, and UA, I'm sure something could be worked out.

I suppose another option would be if DEN goes along with the East and/or West concourse plan, in which case either or both of those concourses could have a FIS facility. But if UA needs to occupy space in two concourses, they'd probably want them to at least be adjacent. Connecting from B to East/West would not be ideal.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
washingtonflyer
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:45 pm

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 1:57 pm

Wonder if they're looking to improve the DEN runway diagram which currently looks similar to a swastika.
 
mcg
Posts: 975
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:49 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 4:00 pm

intotheair wrote:
748iDEN wrote:
I’m not sure if this is even possible but for the *A sake I would imagine that having FIS at B would be very helpful. Especially for UA and LH which could allow for easier connections as it’s not exactly convenient to connect the way everything is set up as is.


I think that would be really hard to do. There'd be no way of separating international arriving passengers in B and getting them back to the terminal short of building an express line train and separate platform (which would be excessive) or bussing them back on the apron (which is not glamorous.) If UA really wanted FIS in its own concourse, then UA could maybe take over a chunk of A again and boot DL/AA/NK/F9/B6/G4/SY to another concourse when it's time to build another one in 10-15 years. By that point, UA will have overgrown a fully-expanded B and would need to split up into at least two concourses. The question is whether those airlines would be willing to move (even to a brand new concourse) and/or whether UA would be willing to pay them to move. I doubt AA and DL would be too keen on moving out of A, but between them, the other airlines, and UA, I'm sure something could be worked out.

I suppose another option would be if DEN goes along with the East and/or West concourse plan, in which case either or both of those concourses could have a FIS facility. But if UA needs to occupy space in two concourses, they'd probably want them to at least be adjacent. Connecting from B to East/West would not be ideal.


I think they could simply set up the new gates on either end of B with an FIS 'segregation system' (for lack of a better phrase). Passengers get of the plane, go thru the arrival process (i.e. customs, immigration, and security) then simply reenter the main B concourse. This is what they do at IAD. The biggest problem would be cost, the extra gates would be more expensive and you'd have to convince the folks who operate the FIS to staff the new location.
 
airfrnt
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:05 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 4:00 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
freakyrat wrote:
Concourse A West will get an additional 12 gates, B West will get 4 additional gates, B East will get 9 additional gates, and Concourse C East will get 16 gates.


B concourse will not be gaining any gates.

The odd B81-91 will be going away (the north side of the south UAX finger), and the UAX gates on the north UAX finger will be consolidated to mainline gates.


The four gates that immediately go in will replace these, but a further 7 gates on the other side will be constructed later.
 
airfrnt
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:05 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 4:02 pm

748iDEN wrote:
I’m not sure if this is even possible but for the *A sake I would imagine that having FIS at B would be very helpful. Especially for UA and LH which could allow for easier connections as it’s not exactly convenient to connect the way everything is set up as is.


It's not bad the way it is. Incoming traffic has to clear customs anyways, while outgoing traffic just takes a train to A.

Additional gates on A are being added to the segregated security space.
 
airfrnt
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:05 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 4:05 pm

Jake1993P wrote:
I haven't seen this question posed anywhere, so I'll ask here. In regards to DIA's plan for the "Great Hall" and moving security to the 6th level with ticketing, how will this affect the roadways on the east and west side of the terminal as passengers being dropped off will now have half the curb space that they currently do if security is to take up the northern portion of the current ticket counters. The curb is already congested, and I hate to see what having an increasing amount of drop offs in half the space will do to traffic.


Drop off is at levels 4 (for arrivals) and 5 (for departure). Level 6 is typically the least used (uber and passenger pickup).

There will be some reconfiguration of all of the drop off lines, because traffic is already bad on 4.
 
User avatar
Frontier14
Posts: 613
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:14 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 4:08 pm

washingtonflyer wrote:
Wonder if they're looking to improve the DEN runway diagram which currently looks similar to a swastika.


I doubt you are going to see any changes to the runway configurations, given their current design was part of the deal to give the land to Denver to build the airport. If Denver International officials would suggest alterations to the present layout, there would be significant legal challenges forthcoming.

Frontier 14
 
748iDEN
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:25 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 4:35 pm

mcg wrote:
intotheair wrote:
748iDEN wrote:
I’m not sure if this is even possible but for the *A sake I would imagine that having FIS at B would be very helpful. Especially for UA and LH which could allow for easier connections as it’s not exactly convenient to connect the way everything is set up as is.


I think that would be really hard to do. There'd be no way of separating international arriving passengers in B and getting them back to the terminal short of building an express line train and separate platform (which would be excessive) or bussing them back on the apron (which is not glamorous.) If UA really wanted FIS in its own concourse, then UA could maybe take over a chunk of A again and boot DL/AA/NK/F9/B6/G4/SY to another concourse when it's time to build another one in 10-15 years. By that point, UA will have overgrown a fully-expanded B and would need to split up into at least two concourses. The question is whether those airlines would be willing to move (even to a brand new concourse) and/or whether UA would be willing to pay them to move. I doubt AA and DL would be too keen on moving out of A, but between them, the other airlines, and UA, I'm sure something could be worked out.

I suppose another option would be if DEN goes along with the East and/or West concourse plan, in which case either or both of those concourses could have a FIS facility. But if UA needs to occupy space in two concourses, they'd probably want them to at least be adjacent. Connecting from B to East/West would not be ideal.


I think they could simply set up the new gates on either end of B with an FIS 'segregation system' (for lack of a better phrase). Passengers get of the plane, go thru the arrival process (i.e. customs, immigration, and security) then simply reenter the main B concourse. This is what they do at IAD. The biggest problem would be cost, the extra gates would be more expensive and you'd have to convince the folks who operate the FIS to staff the new location.


Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking by having passengers be able to re enter through B which should save a lot of time and be even more convenient unless I'm missing something here. I'd imagine that the cost could be easily justifiable by UA/LH given the amount of traffic that is going through.
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2415
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 5:10 pm

Frontier14 wrote:
washingtonflyer wrote:
Wonder if they're looking to improve the DEN runway diagram which currently looks similar to a swastika.


I doubt you are going to see any changes to the runway configurations, given their current design was part of the deal to give the land to Denver to build the airport. If Denver International officials would suggest alterations to the present layout, there would be significant legal challenges forthcoming.

Frontier 14



What a stupid reason to move billions of dollars worth of runways. Considering they are part of the newest hub airport in the US, I seriously doubt the layout was chosen haphazardly. I'm sure the layout was chosen to make access between the terminals and the runways as efficient as possible.
 
User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Posts: 4678
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 5:38 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
Frontier14 wrote:
washingtonflyer wrote:
Wonder if they're looking to improve the DEN runway diagram which currently looks similar to a swastika.


I doubt you are going to see any changes to the runway configurations, given their current design was part of the deal to give the land to Denver to build the airport. If Denver International officials would suggest alterations to the present layout, there would be significant legal challenges forthcoming.

Frontier 14



What a stupid reason to move billions of dollars worth of runways. Considering they are part of the newest hub airport in the US, I seriously doubt the layout was chosen haphazardly. I'm sure the layout was chosen to make access between the terminals and the runways as efficient as possible.

The swastika thing is one of the myriad conspiracy theories surrounding DEN. In reality, yes the layout was chosen to allow for efficient access between terminals and runways. It was also chosen to allow for takeoffs landings in various directions, so as to avoid the heavy weather delays (crosswinds, etc.) caused by Stapleton's runway structure.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 5:46 pm

airfrnt wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
freakyrat wrote:
Concourse A West will get an additional 12 gates, B West will get 4 additional gates, B East will get 9 additional gates, and Concourse C East will get 16 gates.


B concourse will not be gaining any gates.

The odd B81-91 will be going away (the north side of the south UAX finger), and the UAX gates on the north UAX finger will be consolidated to mainline gates.


The four gates that immediately go in will replace these, but a further 7 gates on the other side will be constructed later.


United management has told us that there will be no net gain of gates on the B concourse. They are replacing smaller gates with larger gates. This requires more room.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 5:52 pm

airfrnt wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
freakyrat wrote:
Concourse A West will get an additional 12 gates, B West will get 4 additional gates, B East will get 9 additional gates, and Concourse C East will get 16 gates.


B concourse will not be gaining any gates.

The odd B81-91 will be going away (the north side of the south UAX finger), and the UAX gates on the north UAX finger will be consolidated to mainline gates.


The four gates that immediately go in will replace these, but a further 7 gates on the other side will be constructed later.


If you look at the aerial map, I count 65 gates in the final buildout for B. If you look right now at Google Earth, United has 69 active gates.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy
 
jhsusman
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:06 pm

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 6:41 pm

How many of the new gates will be able to handle widebody aircraft?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos