Beechtobus

Re: Denver International Airport Expansion Plans

Wed May 30, 2018 8:28 pm

748iDEN wrote:
mcg wrote:
intotheair wrote:

I think that would be really hard to do. There'd be no way of separating international arriving passengers in B and getting them back to the terminal short of building an express line train and separate platform (which would be excessive) or bussing them back on the apron (which is not glamorous.) If UA really wanted FIS in its own concourse, then UA could maybe take over a chunk of A again and boot DL/AA/NK/F9/B6/G4/SY to another concourse when it's time to build another one in 10-15 years. By that point, UA will have overgrown a fully-expanded B and would need to split up into at least two concourses. The question is whether those airlines would be willing to move (even to a brand new concourse) and/or whether UA would be willing to pay them to move. I doubt AA and DL would be too keen on moving out of A, but between them, the other airlines, and UA, I'm sure something could be worked out.

I suppose another option would be if DEN goes along with the East and/or West concourse plan, in which case either or both of those concourses could have a FIS facility. But if UA needs to occupy space in two concourses, they'd probably want them to at least be adjacent. Connecting from B to East/West would not be ideal.

I think they could simply set up the new gates on either end of B with an FIS 'segregation system' (for lack of a better phrase). Passengers get of the plane, go thru the arrival process (i.e. customs, immigration, and security) then simply reenter the main B concourse. This is what they do at IAD. The biggest problem would be cost, the extra gates would be more expensive and you'd have to convince the folks who operate the FIS to staff the new location.

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking by having passengers be able to re enter through B which should save a lot of time and be even more convenient unless I'm missing something here. I'd imagine that the cost could be easily justifiable by UA/LH given the amount of traffic that is going through.

Exactly. Definitely not overly in-depth. Make it so some gates can be segregated (think the south side of A that were connected to the FIS a few years ago), and build an FIS facility. It seems like either south or north of the center core of B would be ideal and has plenty of room. After passengers clear the FIS, there would be 2 more steps, 1) rechecking checked baggage to either a connecting flight or to a local carousel in the main terminal, and 2) re security screening the passengers. This is already done with ATL concourse E intl arrivals and at IAD.

xjetflyer2001
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2018 8:59 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
airfrnt wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

B concourse will not be gaining any gates.

The odd B81-91 will be going away (the north side of the south UAX finger), and the UAX gates on the north UAX finger will be consolidated to mainline gates.

The four gates that immediately go in will replace these, but a further 7 gates on the other side will be constructed later.

If you look at the aerial map, I count 65 gates in the final buildout for B. If you look right now at Google Earth, United has 69 active gates.

Concourse B East Gates 57-79 comes out to a current 11 gates, they are being replaced with 12 gates, however the East end appears to be losing either gates 81-91 or 81-93 depending if they keep 93 or not, so that will be a loss of 6 or 7 gates, the West end of B Concourse will be adding 4 gates, that means total addition to B is 16 gates with a loss of either 17 or 18 gates, which adds out to a total Net loss of 2 gates after build out of B concourse has been completed.

airfrnt

Wed May 30, 2018 9:37 pm

Here are the exact new gates being built:
A- West
12 gates

B-West
4 gates

B-East
7 (narrow body gates)

C-East
16 gates

airfrnt

Wed May 30, 2018 9:39 pm

Beechtobus wrote:
748iDEN wrote:
mcg wrote:

I think they could simply set up the new gates on either end of B with an FIS 'segregation system' (for lack of a better phrase). Passengers get of the plane, go thru the arrival process (i.e. customs, immigration, and security) then simply reenter the main B concourse. This is what they do at IAD. The biggest problem would be cost, the extra gates would be more expensive and you'd have to convince the folks who operate the FIS to staff the new location.

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking by having passengers be able to re enter through B which should save a lot of time and be even more convenient unless I'm missing something here. I'd imagine that the cost could be easily justifiable by UA/LH given the amount of traffic that is going through.

Exactly. Definitely not overly in-depth. Make it so some gates can be segregated (think the south side of A that were connected to the FIS a few years ago), and build an FIS facility. It seems like either south or north of the center core of B would be ideal and has plenty of room. After passengers clear the FIS, there would be 2 more steps, 1) rechecking checked baggage to either a connecting flight or to a local carousel in the main terminal, and 2) re security screening the passengers. This is already done with ATL concourse E intl arrivals and at IAD.

Denver has talked about it in the past, where they have talked about a segregated train platform for transit to the customs area on A.

It hasn't made enough sense. At this point, just add a number of additional FIS gates to A. International passengers almost always have to be rescreened for security anyways.

Jake1993P

Wed May 30, 2018 10:27 pm

airfrnt wrote:
Jake1993P wrote:
I haven't seen this question posed anywhere, so I'll ask here. In regards to DIA's plan for the "Great Hall" and moving security to the 6th level with ticketing, how will this affect the roadways on the east and west side of the terminal as passengers being dropped off will now have half the curb space that they currently do if security is to take up the northern portion of the current ticket counters. The curb is already congested, and I hate to see what having an increasing amount of drop offs in half the space will do to traffic.

Drop off is at levels 4 (for arrivals) and 5 (for departure). Level 6 is typically the least used (uber and passenger pickup).

There will be some reconfiguration of all of the drop off lines, because traffic is already bad on 4.

So after the reconfiguration passenger drop off will be moved to level 5? As of now, drop off is 6, buses/ground transportation are 5, and passenger pickup is 4.

ytib

Wed May 30, 2018 11:53 pm

airfrnt wrote:
Jake1993P wrote:
I haven't seen this question posed anywhere, so I'll ask here. In regards to DIA's plan for the "Great Hall" and moving security to the 6th level with ticketing, how will this affect the roadways on the east and west side of the terminal as passengers being dropped off will now have half the curb space that they currently do if security is to take up the northern portion of the current ticket counters. The curb is already congested, and I hate to see what having an increasing amount of drop offs in half the space will do to traffic.

Drop off is at levels 4 (for arrivals) and 5 (for departure). Level 6 is typically the least used (uber and passenger pickup).

There will be some reconfiguration of all of the drop off lines, because traffic is already bad on 4.

Drop-off is on Level 6. (Departures)
Pick-up is on Level 4. (Arrivals)
Commercial Vehicles are on Level 5 (Supershuttle, Taxi, Car Rentals, etc.)

Uber/Lyft pick-up was moved to Level 6 over a year ago.
With baggage on Level 5 it would always be recommended to go up to 6 for pick-up as not much different than going down a level to 4. The roadway on 6 is much wider thus you don't get the hassle as you can on Level 4 which is much narrower.

The United and Southwest areas at pick times on Level 6 can be quite bad as well, but always enough space to go further down (for United) or stop earlier (Southwest).

With ticketing all being pushed to one end it will make things worse if you want to get closer, however for those with no checked bags and tickets in hand it will be easier as Level 6 will be closer to security.
Airbus:318,319,320,321,332,333,388
Boeing:707,717,732,733,734,73Q,735,73G,738,7M8,739,752,753,742,74L,744,762,763,772,77L,77W,789
Misc:142,CN1,CR2,CR7,DC8,DH2,DH8,D8Q,D10,D95,EM2,ER3,ER4,E70,100,J31,M11,M83,M88,M90,SF3

Where is Neil

trexel94

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:56 pm

A PDF presentation containing more renderings and technical information about the concourse expansion has recently been released. Five new international configured gates are to be added at concourse A and A & B concourse will have an outdoor observation patio at the end.

https://business.flydenver.com/bizops/d ... ansion.pdf

atlflyer

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:11 pm

trexel94 wrote:
A PDF presentation containing more renderings and technical information about the concourse expansion has recently been released. Five new international configured gates are to be added at concourse A and A & B concourse will have an outdoor observation patio at the end.

Thanks for sharing. Looks modern and bright.

intotheair

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:20 pm

Thanks for sharing! It's nice to see more details. The big windows and patios will help with planespotting, which has never been all that great at DEN.

It all makes a lot of sense to me except for the B-East expansion. It looks nice and better suited for mainline planes and E170/175s, but UA still has a ton of small RJs. There are still some times of the day when the country bumpkin terminals are full of 50 seaters.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

globalflyer

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:04 pm

Thanks for sharing. Do we know what airlines will receive the new gates on "A" or will they all be common use?
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

jsnww81

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:23 am

Thanks for sharing the renderings. Nice to see that the main concourse extensions (not including B-East, which is meant for regional flights) will have some architectural continuity with the original buildings. The C-West addition that was built five-ish years ago looks and feels like it was done cheaply - it's narrow and clogged with poorly placed retail. These extensions look much nicer.

intotheair

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:45 am

jsnww81 wrote:
Thanks for sharing the renderings. Nice to see that the main concourse extensions (not including B-East, which is meant for regional flights) will have some architectural continuity with the original buildings. The C-West addition that was built five-ish years ago looks and feels like it was done cheaply - it's narrow and clogged with poorly placed retail. These extensions look much nicer.

I agree. The most recent C extension never looked right, and I was always worried that future expansions would follow its lead. I'm glad to see these extensions are in keeping with the original design but with what looks like more open space and windows.

Hopefully they can also do something with the existing concourse space. I don't think they need to do too much, but a good power wash, paint, lighting, and new retail and restaurants would go a long way. The existing top level of the west end of A that currently only has a bunch of seating above the DL gates would make for a nice lounge or restaurant.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90

strfyr51

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:50 am

TUSDawg23 wrote:
MO11 wrote:
xjetflyer2001 wrote:
Very exciting to see KDEN growing, anyone think any other airlines may come and who?

American moving from Phoenix.

I don't think that is happening, but nice try. Why would they want to go head to head with UA at another hub?

Because it's a good and growing Hub??

jetmatt777

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:56 am

jsnww81 wrote:

B-East is 5 mainline on the north (up to 737-900) and 5 UAX (up to E175) on the south.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

SLCUT2777

Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:22 am

American moving from Phoenix.[/quote]
Nah, Delta moving from SLC has always been the a.net rumor for years
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

cm642

Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:23 am

strfyr51 wrote:
TUSDawg23 wrote:
MO11 wrote:

American moving from Phoenix.

I don't think that is happening, but nice try. Why would they want to go head to head with UA at another hub?

American won't leave PHX for Denver when they currently have a solid operation at PHX and have invested millions in upgrading the Admirals Clubs and re-gating and re-stripping all four north concourses of T4 since the merger. If anything I can see another low cost expanding in Denver, Delta could expand it's operations but don't see much in that aspect since they've already stated that Raleigh and Austin will be their largest non hub operations and I wouldn't put it past United to defend it's turf at DIA especially from one of the other two legacies.

fry530

Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:45 am

cm642 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
TUSDawg23 wrote:

American won't leave PHX for Denver when they currently have a solid operation at PHX and have invested millions in upgrading the Admirals Clubs and re-gating and re-stripping all four north concourses of T4 since the merger. If anything I can see another low cost expanding in Denver, Delta could expand it's operations but don't see much in that aspect since they've already stated that Raleigh and Austin will be their largest non hub operations and I wouldn't put it past United to defend it's turf at DIA especially from one of the other two legacies.

I agree. No way AA would even make Denver a focus city, it just wouldn't work for them. I can't even imagine Delta would add too much. I can see them adding BOS, AUS, or RDU, but UA would fight them on it. AMS would be ballsy for them I think. Even though they have a JV with KLM, I think you'd we will see KL flying DEN-AMS before Delta.

If any airline would expand at DEN to a focus city level, it would be Spirit.

Anyway, back on topic, I think the renderings look great! I love the patios that will be added, DEN really needs that I think. Overall it seems to look clean and modern. I am excited to see how the turn out when they open!
319 320 32N 321 332 333 722 733 735 73G 738 739 744 752 763 772 77W CR2 CR7 Q400 E145 E170 DC10 MD80
AA BA BD CO DL EI F9 HP NW NZ UA U2 WN Y4

intotheair

Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:49 am

AA is not going to get into a turf war with UA at DEN of all places. AA already has enough to worry about. Just look at how AA is faring at ORD compared to UA. If anything, if you look at the numbers, AA has been steadily declining at DEN in terms of passengers served and market share in the last two years. DL is now a hair above AA at DEN in total passengers. I can imagine DL might eventually connect more of its hublets to DEN in due time, but I doubt DL would ever seriously want to build up a big base in DEN so long as UA and WN stay strong.

What I think DEN is sorely missing is more AS presence. Only a few flights to SEA and that's it. SFO-DEN for VX/AS was understandably difficult, but if AS wants to be relevant in west coast markets, then it needs to also meaningfully serve other western places like DEN and PHX. Once AS has its house in order, I'd like to see them try SFO-DEN again. PDX, SJC, and SAN would be nice to see too.

compensateme

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:03 am

cm642 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
TUSDawg23 wrote:

This discussion is silly. DEN lacks the local traffic to sustain three large, legacy hubs; the development of
WN’s hub lead to the demise of F9’s, with F9’s traffic dropping a whopping 35% last year vs. its peak — and that number will increase this year. Reality is, UA and WN’s hubs are maturing, and the high growth years are likely coming to an end.

AA isn’t going to move 20+ million passengers from PHX to DEN. DL isn’t going to commit to a $3B new airport in SLC, only to move traffic into a market where it’ll likely enjoy fewer local passengers, higher costs and lower yields.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

Fargo

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:27 am

compensateme wrote:
cm642 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:

This discussion is silly. DEN lacks the local traffic to sustain three large, legacy hubs; the development of
WN’s hub lead to the demise of F9’s, with F9’s traffic dropping a whopping 35% last year vs. its peak — and that number will increase this year. Reality is, UA and WN’s hubs are maturing, and the high growth years are likely coming to an end.

AA isn’t going to move 20+ million passengers from PHX to DEN. DL isn’t going to commit to a $3B new airport in SLC, only to move traffic into a market where it’ll likely enjoy fewer local passengers, higher costs and lower yields.

Agree about AA, but do you consider WN a legacy? Who would the third legacy hub be?

Also, I thought I read somewhere UA wants to expand DEN to 600 flights. They are only at roughly 450 right now. If that is the case, DEN isn’t showing down anytime soon. What will be interesting is how much more WN grows, I’m not really sure how much more they could add.

n7371f

Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:28 am

Ask the folks from the first Frontier how 3 hubbed airlines worked in Denver...

compensateme wrote:
cm642 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:

panam330

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:09 am

I know that DEN has a gate shortage right now, but who exactly is going to be occupying *16* additional C gates, let alone the A gates being added? B, I get; I actually thought UA would want more than they're getting. I can't see WN taking all of the new C gates; that'd be a lot of growth, and I'm not quite sure they could do that.

rph99

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:57 am

panam330 wrote:
I know that DEN has a gate shortage right now, but who exactly is going to be occupying *16* additional C gates, let alone the A gates being added? B, I get; I actually thought UA would want more than they're getting. I can't see WN taking all of the new C gates; that'd be a lot of growth, and I'm not quite sure they could do that.

I believe F9 is wanting 4 more. I have no idea what is driving the need for C gates expansion. The international gates are the most important piece. I expect several new international destination announcements in the coming years.

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:20 am

Delta is getting a facility built to their requirements and has put alot of their own personal money down to get additional things added to their new terminal in SLC. They would never want to give another airline a fantastic transfer hub that they put money and time into creating an even better hub for someone JetBlue would move into SLC so fast your head would spin, Delta isn't dumb and they signed a very long lease too. Delta may want extra gates to connect some existing focus cities in DEN, but they are not doing a hub there.

DEN really is amazing, in a good way. It's really trying to be THE mega transfer airport of the west. I think they are going to be the ATL west they have the facilities, and their location is geographically excellent. DEN in my opinion is already the best place in America to have a connection. They have great facilities, so much room, and the place works so well.

intotheair

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:52 am

rph99 wrote:
panam330 wrote:

I believe F9 is wanting 4 more. I have no idea what is driving the need for C gates expansion. The international gates are the most important piece. I expect several new international destination announcements in the coming years.

Would F9 be willing to move to C? I've long thought that once UA outgrows B (even with the current modest expansion), it would be natural for UA to take over part of A. They could move more of the cats and dogs back into C to make room for UA to establish a handful of its own gates and common use gates for hub-hub and international in A. A small Polaris lounge would be nice too. Even as it is now, UA is using the common use gates in A for domestic departures because some of the midday banks are already too much for B.

Moving AA back to C would make some sense, though I'm sure they wouldn't want to after moving to A not too long ago to take advantage of the BA lounge.

I also wouldn't count out WN's plans for DEN. I'm not as familiar with where WN stands now, but as of a few years ago, they had big expansion plans for DEN.

jetmatt777

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:57 pm

I’ve heard UA planning on about 6 gates in A.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

jhsusman

Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:12 pm

Are they planning to expand the FIS facilities to handle the potential increased international traffic?

compensateme

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:48 pm

Fargo wrote:
compensateme wrote:
cm642 wrote:

Agree about AA, but do you consider WN a legacy? Who would the third legacy hub be?

Also, I thought I read somewhere UA wants to expand DEN to 600 flights. They are only at roughly 450 right now. If that is the case, DEN isn’t showing down anytime soon. What will be interesting is how much more WN grows, I’m not really sure how much more they could add.

WN may not formally be a legacy carrier, but I (and others) do consider it a legacy in the sense that it’s a long established, hub-and-spoke carrier. But that’s not important to the discussion :).

UA’s growth spurt at DEN came at the expense of IAH. I don’t recall UA saying they’d plan to be at 600 daily flights in the near future, nor is it realistic - a 33% increase in movements would surely generate a substantial capacity increase. UA’s done canabalizing IAH, and the USA market is expected to see overall capacity increases in line with GDP growth. UA has made it clear it plans to grow at all of its hubs, but honestly, I think a.net tries to make a mountain outta a mole hill. As long as the economy remains strong, all airlines will naturally grow.

Meanwhile, WN has matured at DEN (it’s linked to its network). Again, WN will continue to grow, but it’ll be in line with economic growth. Ultimately, I strongly believe the huge growth spurt DEN’s endured over the past decade is coming to and end. Time will tell.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

HeeseokKoo

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:29 am

panam330 wrote:

Not really a shortage at the moment now that heavily under-utilized A71-81 is open. Odd numbered gates are used by F9 for only like 1 flight a day. In busy summer season or when the construction blocks few gates, these new gates could be busy.

I don't get much information about A71-81. Is it a temporary one? If not, who's the tenant?

Rdh3e

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:44 am

compensateme wrote:

UA’s growth spurt at DEN came at the expense of IAH. I don’t recall UA saying they’d plan to be at 600 daily flights in the near future, nor is it realistic - a 33% increase in movements would surely generate a substantial capacity increase. .

Scott Kirby said UA planned to grow 50% in Denver during a city council meeting about the Great Hall project. He didn't provide a timeline but UA now has ~500 departures scheduled for next summer so I'd say they seem to be sticking to their promises.

Frontier14

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:40 pm

panam330 wrote:
I know that DEN has a gate shortage right now, but who exactly is going to be occupying *16* additional C gates, let alone the A gates being added? . I can't see WN taking all of the new C gates; that'd be a lot of growth, and I'm not quite sure they could do that.

A few months back there was some discussion about WN growing DEN to +/- 300 daily departures once the C gate expansion was complete. This seems realistic to me given there are currently a number of WN served cities that do not have nonstop DEN service.

Frontier 14

LovePrunesAnet

Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:21 am

cm642 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
TUSDawg23 wrote:

Delta could expand it's operations but don't see much in that aspect since they've already stated that Raleigh and Austin will be their largest non hub operations and I wouldn't put it past United to defend it's turf at DIA especially from one of the other two legacies.

Your comment about Austin and RDU being Delta's largest operations was taken a little out of context since this discussion has been about concourse expansions and so on. all that Delta did was make a news release talking about a staffing issue for ramp workers being made in house employees it Raleigh-Durham and Austin, giving them the largest non hub ramp worker count. Delta has not said that Raleigh or Austin we're going to be there two largest or busiest stations that are not hubs. they have not said that they will be adding flights to lots of new cities from either Airport. RDU is currently a focus City for Delta but Austin currently is not. What you're conflating are employee accounts with airport /airline expansion plans

cm642

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:02 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
cm642 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:

Your comment about Austin and RDU being Delta's largest operations was taken a little out of context since this discussion has been about concourse expansions and so on. all that Delta did was make a news release talking about a staffing issue for ramp workers being made in house employees it Raleigh-Durham and Austin, giving them the largest non hub ramp worker count. Delta has not said that Raleigh or Austin we're going to be there two largest or busiest stations that are not hubs. they have not said that they will be adding flights to lots of new cities from either Airport. RDU is currently a focus City for Delta but Austin currently is not. What you're conflating are employee accounts with airport /airline expansion plans

The point I was making was that neither AA or DL are going to rapidly expand their operations at DIA to hub level status when they are already focusing and investing their efforts in other hubs and airports that are also growing.

jplatts

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:12 pm

Frontier14 wrote:
panam330 wrote:
I know that DEN has a gate shortage right now, but who exactly is going to be occupying *16* additional C gates, let alone the A gates being added? . I can't see WN taking all of the new C gates; that'd be a lot of growth, and I'm not quite sure they could do that.

A few months back there was some discussion about WN growing DEN to +/- 300 daily departures once the C gate expansion was complete. This seems realistic to me given there are currently a number of WN served cities that do not have nonstop DEN service.

While RIC already has nonstop service to DEN on UA, RIC is located in the largest market in the contiguous U.S. that doesn't currently have nonstop service to DEN on any LCC's. F9 or WN could add RIC-DEN nonstop service in order to provide better competition on the DEN-RIC route, and both F9 and WN also already have nonstop service to DEN from a few East Coast markets smaller than RIC.

While F9 currently has less-than-daily nonstop service to DEN from GSP, WN is unlikely to serve GSP nonstop from DEN anytime soon since WN currently only serves ATL nonstop from GSP and since there is less demand for WN service out of GSP than out of any other market currently served by WN in the U.S.

There are a few other new domestic nonstop routes that could be added by WN out of DEN such as DEN-BHM, DEN-CLT, DEN-DSM, DEN-LIT, DEN-MAF, DEN-ROC, and DEN-ICT.

LU9092

Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:16 am

jplatts wrote:
While RIC already has nonstop service to DEN on UA, RIC is located in the largest market in the contiguous U.S. that doesn't currently have nonstop service to DEN on any LCC's. F9 or WN could add RIC-DEN nonstop service in order to provide better competition on the DEN-RIC route, and both F9 and WN also already have nonstop service to DEN from a few East Coast markets smaller than RIC.

I sure hope WN starts DEN-RIC. I love having that United flight, but I don't love that it costs more than $3000 to get my family economy seats to DEN and back at Christmas every year. UA must have some very nice load factors and margins on that route.

airplan727

Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:53 am

I have heard that UA has plans to move most of the express operation (anything not E170/175's) to the A and will potentially be operating some mainline out of the C Concourse to support the growth while construction is being completed.

jetmatt777

Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:57 am

UA is currently operating on C38 while gates on B are rebuilt (concrete pad replacement). Currently B33 and B37 are out of service for that.

crazytoaster

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:25 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
UA is currently operating on C38 while gates on B are rebuilt (concrete pad replacement). Currently B33 and B37 are out of service for that.

Yep, just departed from C38 on Tuesday on a United flight. I have now flown on United out A, B, and C this year on domestic flights. I did a double take on my boarding pass, some notice would have been nice as I usually just autopilot to B.
DEN homebase. Frequent traveler to IND and RNO.

intotheair

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:00 pm

The Wall Street Journal has a deeper dive into the specifics of the TSA checkpoint redesign. It sounds like the two big checkpoints will be broken down into 16 smaller ones that they're calling vestibules. People will scan their boarding passes to be assigned which vestibule to go to. They're also planning to install those conveyers that have been installed at LAX that automatically move bins down the line and return them.

Some vestibules will be assigned as PreCheck screening. One may be used to group families together in a single queue; another for elderly travelers. A vestibule may also be designated, unknown to travelers, as the processing point for all travelers who might be considered higher risk or even those on watch lists. They may get closer screening.

When you get to your assigned vestibule, your ID will be checked by a TSA officer. If you tried to game the system and skip to a different vestibule, TSA will know. In addition, the agency has been working to develop real-time facial and object-recognition tracking software than can spot wrong-doing with video cameras as it happens.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-airpor ... 1544541809

Buffalomatt1027

Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:57 am

F9 and WN are starting daily service from Buffalo to Denver ....... extra gates or not. Starting this summer.

airfrnt

Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:18 am

Denver released a PDF of the gate expansions as well. A very cool detail - two outdoor patios on A & B, behind 8 foot glass. I worry a lot about foreign debris with access to the outside on a typical denver fall day, nut I am sure they have thought of that.

They also confirmed the new international nodes on A concourse.

airfrnt

Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:19 am

Both UA and WN are hellbent on expansion at Denver. It's going to be interesting to see what they do.

TWA1985

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:03 am

jplatts wrote:
I could see Southwest adding nonstop service from DEN to CLT, CVG, DSM, ELP, and MEM, plus year-round DEN-ORF nonstop service, plus additional nonstops from DEN to CLE and FLL. Southwest uses 25 gates out of Concourse C out of DEN, and Southwest has enough room to add extra flights out of the existing gates in Concourse C at DEN since Southwest currently only does 210 flights a year on weekdays during the peak travel season out of DEN.

I’m assuming you mean “210 flights a day ...” ???? :)
Be Young. Be Wild. Be Free.

strfyr51

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:56 am

Cmac787 wrote:
UA wants add 50 percent more capacity at DEN

That makes sense especially with the International expansion they'd like to feed from the region. Plus? The New Runways would help.

jplatts

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:31 am

TWA1985 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
I could see Southwest adding nonstop service from DEN to CLT, CVG, DSM, ELP, and MEM, plus year-round DEN-ORF nonstop service, plus additional nonstops from DEN to CLE and FLL. Southwest uses 25 gates out of Concourse C out of DEN, and Southwest has enough room to add extra flights out of the existing gates in Concourse C at DEN since Southwest currently only does 210 flights a year on weekdays during the peak travel season out of DEN.

I’m assuming you mean “210 flights a day ...” ???? :)

I actually meant 210 flights a day.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos