Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

77H

Re: Aloha! Hawaiian Airlines takes delivery of first A321neo

Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

lightsaber wrote:
KICT wrote:
Have they announced the first routes yet? Would be interesting if we see the return of routes like SNA-HNL.

SNA is too short for the A321NEO. However, I couldn't find the takeoff weight versus runway length charts for the certified engines. Does anyone have a link to those charts?

I would expect lower demand markets with decent runway lengths. Since HA talked about DEN early on, easily within the A321NEO range as fuel burn targets were exceeded.
But more likely, is a direct flight from (in the order I would guess):
1. LAX (to practice, or SAN due to maintenance availability
2. LAS
3. DEN
4. SLC

HA will also up frequency. I will be surprised if at least one widebody route doesn't become all A321 (with more frequency).

Lightsaber

Late edit, I left my window open and missed this link, Thanks KarelXWB!
viewtopic.php?t=1369253

Opening existing cities to OGG makes sense too. :) But I think my above list will see the NEO, albeit maybe not LAX if PDX starts first.

Lightsaber

I'm not sure why HA would want to go head to head with UA in DEN when they would almost entirely rely on O&D that is already being covered by UA. UA also has feed from surrounding states and points east of the Rockies.

My initial thoughts are that HA will go head to head with AS for market share from the Neighbhor Islands to secondary West Coast cities and defend its position against incoming WN which will be starting from CA gateways first.

They've already announced OGG-PDX, KOA-LAX, LIH-OAK. I think we'll continue to see more of these routes.

I'd expect to see the following long before DEN or SLC.

OGG-SAN
OGG-LAS
KOA-OAK/SFO
KOA-SAN
KOA-SEA

Maybe we even see routes like FAT/GEG/RNO-Hawaii (HNL)

77H

lightsaber

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:06 pm

77H wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
KICT wrote:
Have they announced the first routes yet? Would be interesting if we see the return of routes like SNA-HNL.

SNA is too short for the A321NEO. However, I couldn't find the takeoff weight versus runway length charts for the certified engines. Does anyone have a link to those charts?

I would expect lower demand markets with decent runway lengths. Since HA talked about DEN early on, easily within the A321NEO range as fuel burn targets were exceeded.
But more likely, is a direct flight from (in the order I would guess):
1. LAX (to practice, or SAN due to maintenance availability
2. LAS
3. DEN
4. SLC

HA will also up frequency. I will be surprised if at least one widebody route doesn't become all A321 (with more frequency).

Lightsaber

Late edit, I left my window open and missed this link, Thanks KarelXWB!
viewtopic.php?t=1369253

Opening existing cities to OGG makes sense too. :) But I think my above list will see the NEO, albeit maybe not LAX if PDX starts first.

Lightsaber

I'm not sure why HA would want to go head to head with UA in DEN when they would almost entirely rely on O&D that is already being covered by UA. UA also has feed from surrounding states and points east of the Rockies.

My initial thoughts are that HA will go head to head with AS for market share from the Neighbhor Islands to secondary West Coast cities and defend its position against incoming WN which will be starting from CA gateways first.

They've already announced OGG-PDX, KOA-LAX, LIH-OAK. I think we'll continue to see more of these routes.

I'd expect to see the following long before DEN or SLC.

OGG-SAN
OGG-LAS
KOA-OAK/SFO
KOA-SAN
KOA-SEA

Maybe we even see routes like FAT/GEG/RNO-Hawaii (HNL)

77H

HA has gone against UA and AA in the past. But I agree, existing cities to other Hawaiian cities first.

HA needs to enter new markets.

Neil

Super80Fan

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:12 pm

Yuck, we need more wide-body flying, not longer narrow-body pieces of crap. Beautiful livery though.

MO11

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:57 pm

SANFan wrote:
Could someone in the know please share the planned delivery sked of the new 321 fleet to HA? Plus the total number of 321s in the fleet when all current orders have been delivered? I'm curious how the route map could change over the next few years.

Mahalo

bb

2017 - 3
2018 - 8
2019 - 6
2020 - 1

There are additional purchase rights.

Narfish641

Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:12 am

Nice and pretty livery!

lightsaber

Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:45 am

Super80Fan wrote:
Yuck, we need more wide-body flying, not longer narrow-body pieces of crap. Beautiful livery though.

Every time there has been a significant range increase in narrowbody range, widebody missions are displaced. Customers want frequency and fragmentation. Most care about a seat, a smile, and feeling privileged. I'm looking to flying an A321NEO to Hawaii.

Now I was wrong on routes, but if this opens LAX to a new island, why not? I personally prefer direct flights. I pay extra. You? The only vote that counts is a paying passenger. For example, for Thanksgiving, I paid an extra $500 to fly out of my favorite airport for a direct flight. If someone will pay, why not? This opens up new routes (fragmentation).

The only reason I pay extra for a widebodies is lie flat seats. But I''d rather fly a direct or better timed flight. For example, I'm divorced. Handover times prevent taking those early flights due to custody handover. If the A321NEO allows a flight that allows my kids to play in Hawaii on the Handover day, I'll buy it.

Lightsaber

Super80Fan

Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:17 am

lightsaber wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Every time there has been a significant range increase in narrowbody range, widebody missions are displaced. Customers want frequency and fragmentation. Most care about a seat, a smile, and feeling privileged. I'm looking to flying an A321NEO to Hawaii.

Now I was wrong on routes, but if this opens LAX to a new island, why not? I personally prefer direct flights. I pay extra. You? The only vote that counts is a paying passenger. For example, for Thanksgiving, I paid an extra $500 to fly out of my favorite airport for a direct flight. If someone will pay, why not? This opens up new routes (fragmentation).

The only reason I pay extra for a widebodies is lie flat seats. But I''d rather fly a direct or better timed flight. For example, I'm divorced. Handover times prevent taking those early flights due to custody handover. If the A321NEO allows a flight that allows my kids to play in Hawaii on the Handover day, I'll buy it.

Lightsaber

If it adds services to new Islands or new US airports to Hawaii, I'm all for it. However (and this is clearly my opinion and I will pay extra for it) I just find widebody's usually more comfortable and will pay extra to make sure I am on one on certain routes.

SANFan

Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:30 am

MO11 wrote:
2017 - 3
2018 - 8
2019 - 6
2020 - 1
There are additional purchase rights.

Mahalo, MO'. So next year looks to be the big expansion year for HA, and continuing on into 2019.

It seems like they will have enough 321s on the way so that they could add Outer Island service to the (mostly west coast) existing cities, while adding some new mainland cities to their Hawaii network.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see some split routes similar to what AAG does. For example, SAN-LIH and SAN-KOA, during the 'off season' anyway, essentially split an a/c with service 3-4x weekly to each island. I think PDX, SJC and OAK see similar flying, at least part of the year.

There has been talk in the past that HA could start flying between certain mainland cities, either tied into Island flying (e.g., KOA-SAN-ABQ, OGG-SJC-SLC) or perhaps more geared toward carrying some local O&D traffic. Mainland cities that HA doesn't feel have enough Hawaii traffic for a dedicated nonstop could then at least receive direct, thru-plane service to The Islands. I believe WN will be doing a lot of this when they begin Island-flying.

I also think we could see service to YVR, MEX and other (limited) international flying with Pualani. I wouldn't rule out anything for HA and I look forward to some outside-the-box thinking from them... It must be fun to be involved in network planning now at Hawaiian's hq in Honolulu!

(I also hope to see additional HA flights from SAN sometime in the next 2 years. Not holding my breath but I will keep hoping...)

bb

aemoreira1981

Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:08 am

Being pushed back at JFK this afternoon...https://flic.kr/p/CN1hd5

rph99

Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:23 am

Could the A321neo make it from the islands to KDEN? Would love to see this beauty here in Denver.

hkcanadaexpat

Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:23 am

SANFan wrote:
Mahalo, MO'. So next year looks to be the big expansion year for HA, and continuing on into 2019.

The big expansion is more likely in 2019. Remember that HA is retiring 7x 763ERs in Q3-2018/Q1-2019 which are being replaced by A321Neos so although next year sees a larger number of deliveries. Net aircraft additions are only explosive in 2019.

smi0006

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:09 am

hkcanadaexpat wrote:
SANFan wrote:

The big expansion is more likely in 2019. Remember that HA is retiring 7x 763ERs in Q3-2018/Q1-2019 which are being replaced by A321Neos so although next year sees a larger number of deliveries. Net aircraft additions are only explosive in 2019.

I’m not over familiarly with HAs rotations. Will we see any 330 being displaced by 321? I confess I’m personally hoping for a HA service to MEL in the coming years.

I know it’s not a popular opinion on this site. But it’s a shame HA didn’t install PTVs in their 321s. I hate watching things on my phone or iPad - self confessed disorganised forget chargers and everything is flat lol.

Kilopond

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:48 am

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:51 am

Kilopond wrote:

Heading to PAE. Will it have some work performed by ATS?

MIflyer12

Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:06 pm

SANFan wrote:
There has been talk in the past that HA could start flying between certain mainland cities, either tied into Island flying (e.g., KOA-SAN-ABQ, OGG-SJC-SLC) or perhaps more geared toward carrying some local O&D traffic. Mainland cities that HA doesn't feel have enough Hawaii traffic for a dedicated nonstop could then at least receive direct, thru-plane service to The Islands. I believe WN will be doing a lot of this when they begin Island-flying.

That gets to consumer preference for non-stop vs. direct vs. connection. Personally I place little value on direct vs. connection because on aaa-bbb-ccc, sometimes bbb-ccc can be dispatched with another aircraft leaving late-arriving passengers aaa-bbb stuck! Typical airline hub operations serve and compete better for passengers than do pre-deregulation-style milk runs. In your examples, ABQ and SLC passengers would have way more options connecting via DEN/SFO/LAX.

cathay747

Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:38 pm

azjubilee wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
It was just pushed off Gate 30 at JFK T5 and will spend the night parked at the B6 terminal. I have pictures taken from a nearby car park that I’ll upload to my Flickr later. It will probably be the first and last time I see an HA A21N here in NYC.

Any idea when she leaves?

Sunday morning for KPAE after HA51 leaves.

Wonder why they flew it to JFK? I'd think that an empty ferry could have done HAM-PAE nonstop. And so ironic that all of HA's new Airbus deliveries go to PAE, in the heart of Boeing country!! LOL What company is there that's doing what work for HA on these?

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:41 pm

cathay747 wrote:
What company is there that's doing what work for HA on these?

Aviation Technical Services.

azjubilee

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:01 pm

KarelXWB wrote:
Kilopond wrote:

Heading to PAE. Will it have some work performed by ATS?

Indeed. It will have its conformity work done as well as having SATCOM installed. From there it will
make a tour down the west coast and finally leaving LAX for HNL mid November.

Bricktop

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:21 pm

Weather stinks in NYC this morning, so no joy. I hope this is going to be the standard delivery route in future.

azjubilee

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:30 pm

Bricktop wrote:
Weather stinks in NYC this morning, so no joy. I hope this is going to be the standard delivery route in future.

If they do use JFK for the next few, catch it while you can because only the first few are coming from XFW. The rest are being built in Mobile.

Bricktop

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:31 pm

azjubilee wrote:
Bricktop wrote:

If they do use JFK for the next few, catch it while you can because only the first few are coming from XFW. The rest are being built in Mobile.

Thanks for that and your other help!

Eyad89

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:39 pm

Super80Fan wrote:

If it is up to what passengers like, then we would have more A380s/747s flying around. Unfortunately, narrow bodies are only becoming more popular as their range and capabilities are greatly improving. Airlines are basically driven by their bottom lines at the end of the day.

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:40 pm

azjubilee wrote:
Bricktop wrote:

Mobile is not yet assembling the A321neo, at least the next few will come from XFW.

azjubilee

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:47 pm

KarelXWB wrote:
azjubilee wrote:
Bricktop wrote:

Mobile is not yet assembling the A321neo, at least the next few will come from XFW.

That's exactly what I said, the first few will come from XFW. The rest, Mobile.

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:58 pm

azjubilee wrote:

What I meant is, BFM won't start assembling the A321neo until late 2018 or so. So either HA will get its 2018 deliveries towards the end of next year, or take more from XFW.

aemoreira1981

Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:03 pm

Bricktop wrote:

I only knew about it because I got a Facebook Messenger message. It pushed off Gate 30 about 5 minutes after I got there. As for the livery, it needs to be painted on the A330s that don't have it yesterday, especially the maile lei.

As for routes, I could see international routes opened up by the A321neo like Hawaii to TBU (a 93t A21N being capable of landing there if ETOPS works out, but a B767 cannot land there at full payload because the runway can't handle it), Hawaii to RAR (Cook Islands), or even Hawaii to Fiji (NAN) as well as add frequencies to places like PPT (unless they need the cargo lift for that route), freeing up an A330-200 for another route. All are within range of the A321neo without payload restrictions, given that WOW flies a much denser A321neo on a longer stage (TLV to KEF).
Last edited by aemoreira1981 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

azjubilee

Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:14 pm

KarelXWB wrote:
azjubilee wrote:

What I meant is, BFM won't start assembling the A321neo until late 2018 or so. So either HA will get its 2018 deliveries towards the end of next year, or take more from XFW.

Sounds like perhaps plans have changed at Airbus, or HAL has been misinformed or someone has bad information. Your info contradicts what HAL has announced. Not to say things have been pushed back a bit, however. With 9 frames expected for delivery throughout 2018, I doubt they'll all come later in the year.

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:22 pm

TranscendZac

Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:32 pm

The A321NEO looks perfect with those engines-not to mention the HA livery looks stunning. Congrats!
Last edited by TranscendZac on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TranscendZac

Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:36 pm

KarelXWB wrote:
Pic of the delivery ceremony in XFW:

https://twitter.com/HawaiianAir/status/ ... 9075166208

Hey Karel, thanks for posting. I just remembered HA went for the GTF on their 321NEOs. What thrust rating?

OKCDCA

Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:50 pm

SANFan wrote:

bb

I've always wondered if we could see HA do something like this and I wonder if they'll see how it works for WN and then try to either compete or go after markets where WN isn't offering the one-stop service. Also, since HA is specifically targeting people going to the islands, would they limit the amount of thru seats able to be purchased by passengers at these "out stations" in the event the plane is sold out in say ABQ so the intermediate stop isn't anything less than a fuel stop? I would imagine word would spread quickly if they were selling out flights at "out stations" and not leaving room for local passengers in lets say SAN. But then again, I would imagine these tack-ons would be in addition to their already scheduled service between places like SAN, LAX, OAK, etc... and not a continuation of the existing service.

leothedog

Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:13 pm

May I suggest a daily flight from SMF (Sacramento) to OGG to compete with Alaska for the route.
I've flown the Alaska fight many times and it is always full.

SANFan

Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:22 pm

OKCDCA wrote:
I've always wondered if we could see HA do something like this and I wonder if they'll see how it works for WN and then try to either compete or go after markets where WN isn't offering the one-stop service. Also, since HA is specifically targeting people going to the islands, would they limit the amount of thru seats able to be purchased by passengers at these "out stations" in the event the plane is sold out in say ABQ so the intermediate stop isn't anything less than a fuel stop? I would imagine word would spread quickly if they were selling out flights at "out stations" and not leaving room for local passengers in lets say SAN. But then again, I would imagine these tack-ons would be in addition to their already scheduled service between places like SAN, LAX, OAK, etc... and not a continuation of the existing service.

And don't forget, HA would also be able to carry pax between, in the example above, ABQ and SAN. And sure, the revenue planning dept can certainly limit the number of seats available to sell in each segment of the flight, to maximize profits, or simply to make sure there are seats available for, say, the ABQ-HNL pax, as well as for the ABQ--SAN, and the SAN-HNL travelers.

And yes, HA would make sure to provide the capacity necessary to carry the traffic between the Islands and their bread-and-butter routes on the west coast, with multiple flights.

I look forward to seeing announcements of further 321 service expansion soon.

bb

jmchevallier

Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:09 pm

Surprisingly, this aircraft was at PAE, Boeing home turf, next week, parked for several days in front of ATS hangar !

scoping2008

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:17 pm

leothedog wrote:
May I suggest a daily flight from SMF (Sacramento) to OGG to compete with Alaska for the route.

It is usually a full flight, but that flight originates in Seattle and makes a stop at SMF before continuing to OGG.

77H

Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:31 am

leothedog wrote:

I imagine HA will be using this type to go head to head with AS on many routes from the outer islands to the West Coast.

77H

Xtremespeed01

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:24 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Bricktop wrote:

I only knew about it because I got a Facebook Messenger message. It pushed off Gate 30 about 5 minutes after I got there. As for the livery, it needs to be painted on the A330s that don't have it yesterday, especially the maile lei.

HA will be painting all of the A330s and the Boeing 717s in the fleet. But due to the busy holiday season, the A330s are being prioritized to get the remaining planes with the lie-flat retrofits before any of the planes are sent into get painted. Having 2 planes out for retrofits and repaint would cause a strain on their widebody ops. And with the chartering of the Raiders on Away Games adds another kink into the timelines. HA first A330 N361HA was delivered with the new livery.

lightsaber

Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:12 pm

Has the A321NEO flown yet in revenue service?
When is the 2nd to be delivered (I assume it too will have a slight delay for outfitting prior to entry into service)?

Lightsaber

robt760

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:33 pm

Try tracking on Flightaware. T/N N 202HA

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N202HA

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:43 pm

lightsaber wrote:
When is the 2nd to be delivered (I assume it too will have a slight delay for outfitting prior to entry into service)?

First aircraft will undergo ETOPS trials before entering revenue trials in January. Second aircraft is due for delivery before the end of the year, and will have some post delivery work done at ATS in PAE.

ikramerica

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Seems they have sent it to every destination in their route map during familiarization and training. Why did it take off from HIK instead of HNL? anomaly?

haynflyer

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:01 am

ikramerica wrote:
Why did it take off from HIK instead of HNL? anomaly?

HIK and HNL share the same runway(s).

-Aloha

azjubilee

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:27 am

lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Revenue service starts in January. There are still proving runs and training to complete before EIS. The 2nd plane will be delivered in mid December. They go to PAE to have their SATCOM installed.

RWA380

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:36 am

azjubilee wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Revenue service starts in January. There are still proving runs and training to complete before EIS. The 2nd plane will be delivered in mid December. They go to PAE to have their SATCOM installed.

I have to say, I may go out to PDX January 8th to see it's arrival from OGG, too bad they couldn't get it flying for the holidays, PDX is the first mainland city to get the new A-321neo's, which I figured would be among the first few routes, but as AS has owned this routes for years with 2 x daily service, I guess HA wanted to get their share of this market.

ucdtim17

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:45 am

RWA380 wrote:
azjubilee wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

I have to say, I may go out to PDX January 8th to see it's arrival from OGG, too bad they couldn't get it flying for the holidays, PDX is the first mainland city to get the new A-321neo's, which I figured would be among the first few routes, but as AS has owned this routes for years with 2 x daily service, I guess HA wanted to get their share of this market.

First A321 route is OGG-OAK on Jan 8. OGG-PDX doesn't start until Jan 18.

RWA380

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:27 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
azjubilee wrote:

First A321 route is OGG-OAK on Jan 8. OGG-PDX doesn't start until Jan 18.

Wow, I did mis-read what I read on Hawaiians website, thank you for the correction, I'd be 10 days too early. Still glad we are in the first few routes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos