MileHFL400
Topic Author

Epic Air Canada rant by Superwoman

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:57 pm

Was on youtube this evening and came across a popular Youtubers rant on Air Canada's poor customer service. I personally have found them hit and miss. My highlight with them was in 2007 from Heathrow to Pearson when their B777-300ER was brand spanking new. Anyway the link to this rant is as provided below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvq5L79lgpU

I found her allegation that AC staff can be especially rude to minorities interesting. Have others found this to be the case when travelling with them? I was under the impression that Air Canada was supposed to be superior to its American counterparts in terms of passenger service?
Thanks and best Regards
AA

Airontario

Re: Epic Air Canada rant by Superwoman

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:03 pm

A video from 3 years ago? Really?

MileHFL400
Topic Author

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:04 pm

Airontario wrote:

My apologies, i just came across it today! Three years ago really isn't that long ago in aviation terms though!
Thanks and best Regards
AA

yowza

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:08 pm

Old video by a whiny YouTube "celebrity." Since this gem was uploaded AC has made literally billions of dollars in profit. Next.

YOWza

MileHFL400
Topic Author

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:11 pm

yowza wrote:
Old video by a whiny YouTube "celebrity." Since this gem was uploaded AC has made literally billions of dollars in profit. Next.

YOWza

Yes they have made tons of money, after decades of government bail outs. Remember the $922 million bailout not so long ago? Also just because you're making tons of money does that mean that you should treat your customers like crap?
Thanks and best Regards
AA

sanjet

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:48 pm

MileHFL400 wrote:
Yes they have made tons of money, after decades of government bail outs. Remember the $922 million bailout not so long ago? Also just because you're making tons of money does that mean that you should treat your customers like crap?

Im sorry, what bail out is this?

That superwoman video is old and annoying. Not defending AC but they have improved significantly, customer service wise, since the last few years.
Will Fly For Food!

Jawaiiansky66

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:09 pm

sanjet wrote:
MileHFL400 wrote:

Im sorry, what bail out is this?

That superwoman video is old and annoying. Not defending AC but they have improved significantly, customer service wise, since the last few years.

I agree...AC gets unfairly crapped on by many people for silly reasons. I have had good and so so trips with them...and I don't begrudge them for every little thing. They are better than many carriers out there.

Cunard

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:38 pm

Shouldn't this thread be locked as it's ridiculous!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

AAvgeek744

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:39 pm

MileHFL400 wrote:
Airontario wrote:

My apologies, i just came across it today! Three years ago really isn't that long ago in aviation terms though!

Airline service can improve or decline quite a lot in three years. Pretty useless video.

AC_B777

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:56 pm

MileHFL400 wrote:
yowza wrote:

YOWza

I'm an AC employee and I don't remember any recent Gov bailout! Yes, the gov helped AC around the time we went through CCAA, but to say "decade of bailouts", you obviously don't check facts do you???. You must be a huge CBC supporter who's only out to bash AC?!?!
I have 200+ flights with AC and have been flying them for 44 years, long before I became an employee, and I can count on one hand the amount bad flights I've had with them.
Also, to say we treat our customers like crap...another exaggeration with lack of facts! Two days ago we released our Q3 results and we had record load factors, hardly expectant from an airline that treats its customers like crap!
Finding and posting a video from 3 years ago...seems like you have nothing better to do. I suggest the MODS delete this thread.
In life, some days you are the bug..... some days you are the windshield!

matthew11

Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:25 am

Every airline is going to have ups and downs with service. People like to complain. People do seem to like to bash Air Canada a lot for some reason.

I have flown them both domestic and international multiple times. I was pleased with the service each time. I can’t say anything bad. I have even been on delayed flights and missed connections. Things happen out of their control but they handled it well.

I am not singling AC out, I have been on Westjet multiple times too. Also good experiences with their service too.
New Gemini Jets retailer in YYC (Calgary)! Purchase in store or online! http://www.euphoriacafe.ca

IPFreely

Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:54 am

MileHFL400 wrote:
I was under the impression that Air Canada was supposed to be superior to its American counterparts in terms of passenger service?

And what is this impression based on?

HJM

Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:10 am

MileHFL400 wrote:
yowza wrote:

YOWza

I believe the "bail-out" was actually a loan, with interest, and was paid back in-full.

LHR787

Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:18 am

Superwoman only made this for entertainment purposes honestly. A youtube video doesn't justify that AC has "crappy" especially when one makes a video for an audience. Nothing special, just another comedian with those bad airline service jokes. Not epic at all my friend.

Jamake1

Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:35 am

My favorite part was, "I've only cried 4 times in my life. 1. Lion King 2. A Road to Remember 3. Air Canada 4. Air Canada."

I can't stop laughing (seriously).
Come fly the sun.

OA940

Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:59 am

Not bashing anyone here (because I love both Superwoman and AC) but: 1) a bad experience doesn't represent the whole airline when said airline is of that size, and 2) there really shouldn't be any bad experiences in terms of how the staff behaves.
A350/CSeries = bae

yowza

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:22 pm

MileHFL400 wrote:
yowza wrote:

YOWza

Divorced from reality much?

YOWza

MileHFL400
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:34 pm

yowza wrote:
MileHFL400 wrote:
yowza wrote:

YOWza

YOWza

Go on why don’t you educate me instead of showing me teenage girl like sass.
Thanks and best Regards
AA

AC_B777

Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:27 am

MileHFL400 wrote:
yowza wrote:
MileHFL400 wrote:

YOWza

Why do you educate yourself? Why get someone else to do it? I'll educate you in something...you talk about AC getting bailed out, but you don't seem to know, or maybe you don't want to know because of ignorance, but any financial assistance provided to AC by the govt, was paid back and with interest!
In life, some days you are the bug..... some days you are the windshield!

longhauler

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:09 am

AC_B777 wrote:
Why do you educate yourself? Why get someone else to do it? I'll educate you in something...you talk about AC getting bailed out, but you don't seem to know, or maybe you don't want to know because of ignorance, but any financial assistance provided to AC by the govt, was paid back and with interest!

Look closely at this, because this is correct.

From 1937 until 1989 (when Air Canada became completely private), they received financial assistance to operate when revenues fell short of cost. During the surplus years, Trans-Canada Air Lines / Air Canada paid that surplus back to the government. Surprise ... from 1937 to 1989, TCA/AC paid more money to the government than they received. Since becoming a private corporation, no financial assistance has been given to Air Canada.

The usual answer to that is that in the early years, TCA/AC was "protected" from competition. The was true, but it was a double edged sword. For every profitable DC-8 that flew from YYZ-YVR, or DC-9 from YYZ-YOW ... there were dozens of empty airliners flying to remote Canadian cities flying the flag and bringing the mail. Starting in the 1980s and finalizing in 1984 with "The Freedom to Move", (air deregulation in Canada), not only was Air Canada finally allowed to drop unprofitable routes, but they also received full and unrestricted competition ... and has since.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

hz747300

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:23 am

Not so much a service issue, but I have a problem with the announcements. For example, on a flight from HKG-YVR, the first announcement is always in French, which I'm sure there are no more than 10 French speakers on the flight and those are probably the FAs. But then every announcement is in four languages, French, English, Cantonese, Mandarin. So if someone leaves their glasses in the washroom, it becomes a 20 minute pause in the IFE as they cycle through the languages. I've good travel with AC in business class, but horrible service in coach.
Keep on truckin'...

longhauler

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:36 am

hz747300 wrote:
I have a problem with the announcements. For example, on a flight from HKG-YVR, the first announcement is always in French, which I'm sure there are no more than 10 French speakers on the flight and those are probably the FAs. But then every announcement is in four languages, French, English, Cantonese, Mandarin. So if someone leaves their glasses in the washroom, it becomes a 20 minute pause in the IFE as they cycle through the languages. I've good travel with AC in business class, but horrible service in coach.

That should not be the case.

It is Air Canada policy that announcements be in English, then French, then route languages. The only exception is in/out of Quebec or France where French would precede English. I can't imagine why that was not the case on your flights. The only thing I have seen is when the French announcement lags so far behind the English one (if spoken by another F/A) that it runs right into the next announcement, so it looks like French came first.

The Air Canada Public Participation Act requires that both official languages of Canada be spoken on announcements on every flight, so regardless of the region there will always be at least English and French announcements.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

chepos

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:43 am

She blasts NK on another video. Having flown AC I always thought they where so nuch nicer than their south of the border colleagues. Including WN which so nany rave about.
Fly the Flag!!!!

yowza

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:58 pm

MileHFL400 wrote:
yowza wrote:
MileHFL400 wrote:

YOWza

I think others on this thread have done an ample job giving you information to work with. Whether you choose to absorb any of that or elect to keep spouting one liners about bailouts and running off is up to you. Addressing the issue of customer service I can say that AC is pretty damn good - room for improvement always exists but AC is far better than most of its peers on the continent. Across the last few hundred sectors I've flown with AC I would say I only had one bad experience and even that was probably exacerbated by the fact that I was hangry and hungover.

Question for you: Which North American airline is getting things right in terms of how they treat customers? Who should AC be emulating?

YOWza

MileHFL400
Topic Author

Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:24 pm

yowza wrote:
MileHFL400 wrote:
yowza wrote:

YOWza

I think others on this thread have done an ample job giving you information to work with. Whether you choose to absorb any of that or elect to keep spouting one liners about bailouts and running off is up to you. Addressing the issue of customer service I can say that AC is pretty damn good - room for improvement always exists but AC is far better than most of its peers on the continent. Across the last few hundred sectors I've flown with AC I would say I only had one bad experience and even that was probably exacerbated by the fact that I was hangry and hungover.

Question for you: Which North American airline is getting things right in terms of how they treat customers? Who should AC be emulating?

YOWza

To be honest i would rather AC does not emulate it's NA counterparts. Maybe look at the Far Eastern carriers for inspiration. Peace.
Thanks and best Regards
AA

yowza

Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:05 pm

MileHFL400 wrote:
yowza wrote:
MileHFL400 wrote:

YOWza

To be honest i would rather AC does not emulate it's NA counterparts. Maybe look at the Far Eastern carriers for inspiration. Peace.

To be honest I would rather be the starting tight end for the New England Patriots than what I do for a living but you play the hand you're dealt. In terms of the hand AC has been dealt it's pretty simple; Canadian employment laws, the Canadian social milieu, and the unions would immediately smack down moves towards some of the practices out east. While a certain strata of western male travelers loves the young, doting, subservient flight attendants on SQ, CX, and QR that is something that just doesn't work in the west. It may "elevate" your travel experience but some of the practices are grotesque - the way Singapore girls are put to pasture around their 34th birthday for example.

YOWza

ElPistolero

Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:27 pm

I don't care for Superwoman and her rant, but a quick observation on the "loan"/"bailout":

- Yes, it was a "loan".
- Yes, it was a "bailout" insofar as no private sector financial institution was willing to provide the loan because it was deemed too risky.

Companies are expected to obtain loans from the private sector. Governments are generally not in the business of providing loans to struggling companies. Many, many companies fail after failing to obtain private sector loans, with little more than a shrug from the government. When the government intervenes and helps them after the market deems it too risky/chooses not to do so, it is a "bailout". Regardless of whether the "loan" is repaid or not.

In theory, the US auto sector has "repaid" its 2008 bailout too. No one would characterize the US government's intervention at the time as just another investment.

Super80Fan

Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:52 pm

Yawn, I hate all of these whiny videos complaining about every airline that exists (seriously, there is one of these videos for every airline in existence).
RIP McDonnell Douglas

gatibosgru

Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:58 pm

yowza wrote:

YOWza

What does this have to do with ACs billions in profit? It is ok to criticize things we are passionate about, and ok for others to do so too.

Next.
@DadCelo

gatibosgru

Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:59 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Yawn, I hate all of these whiny videos complaining about every airline that exists (seriously, there is one of these videos for every airline in existence).

I hate all the whiney comments on a thread about something you don't care for. You could have left the thread and ignore the subject but still chose to comment.
@DadCelo

aerolimani

Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:59 pm

Cunard wrote:
Shouldn't this thread be locked as it's ridiculous!

I don't know about locked, but maybe it should be in Travel, Polls, and Preferences. It's clearly about Superwoman's preferences.

MileHFL400
Topic Author

Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:02 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

I hate all the whiney comments on a thread about something you don't care for. You could have left the thread and ignore the subject but still chose to comment.

Exactly! I don’t understand how some members decided to open this thread and start calling me out for asking about a simple video. They could have simply ignored it and move on. The quality of members seems to have really gone downhill.
Thanks and best Regards
AA

ElPistolero

Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:10 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
What does this have to do with ACs billions in profit? It is ok to criticize things we are passionate about, and ok for others to do so too.

Next.

Presumably AC's billions in profits means AC is providing excellent customer service. There's a similar comment up there about high load factors.

Given that other airlines are also racking up profits and operating with high load factors, AC's metrics in those areas appear to be more reflective of demand outstripping supply than of anything to do with customer service.

IME, AC is like AI when it comes to customer service. When everything works, it's an acceptable experience. When things go sideways, it's got one of the more challenging combinations of apathetic staff, limited delegated authorities to CSAs, and a compensation strategy that has been known to warrant regulatory intervention (IDB). (If there's one thing US airlines definitively do better than AC, it's compensation.)

For whatever reason, WS has acquired a better reputation for managing these situations, so it's not really a 'Canadian' thing.

Super80Fan

Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:53 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Help me out because I'm confused, who do you think you are?
RIP McDonnell Douglas

GSPSPOT

Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:56 am

I have no personal experience with AC, but I know a Canadian citizen who has worked and lived in the U.S. for some time who will drive or fly U.S. carriers back to Toronto. For whatever reason, she will not fly AC.
Great Lakes, great life.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos