LH658
Topic Author

How come no ME3 in Central Asia?

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:53 pm

How come Qatar Airways, Emirates, and Etihad, lack presences in Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Armenia, and Afghanistan?

CanadaFair

Re: How come no ME3 in Central Asia?

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:54 pm

Etihad do Astana in Kazakhstan, previously also pax + cargo to Almaty.

Emirates Cargo also served Almaty.
Last edited by CanadaFair on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qatara340

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:59 pm

LH658 wrote:
How come Qatar Airways, Emirates, and Etihad, lack presences in Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Armenia, and Afghanistan?

QR flies to Azerbaijan (Im going Wednesday), Armenia, and Georgia--an even does domestic Central Asia (Baku-Georgia)
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

irelayer

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:02 pm

For Dubai, FlyDubai typically covers the Central Asian market. I think it's because most of those countries are low yielding "worker" countries if you get my drift. Not to say anything sensitive, I'm just saying the truth.

People from Abu Dhabi usually drive up to Dubai to catch those flights.

CanadaFair

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:04 pm

Qatara340 wrote:
LH658 wrote:

QR flies to Azerbaijan (Im going Wednesday), Armenia, and Georgia--an even does domestic Central Asia (Baku-Georgia)

That's Caucasus region, and Baku-Georgia is not domestic, latter being a country.

Arion640

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:11 pm

Well there's a security issue with Afghanistan so you can count that one out for a start. I know they fly to Iraq but its better there than it used to be.
No bumps. No bangs - Concorde

LH658
Topic Author

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:11 pm

I think some, of these are oil rich countries, I figured they would have some flights, or a larger presences.

behramjee

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:12 pm

They are very bilaterally restricted especially Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan.

Azerbaijan was like that until 2012 when they opened up to everyone hence a huge upsurge in tourism they have managed to get from gcc and EU.

CanadaFair

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:26 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Well there's a security issue with Afghanistan so you can count that one out for a start. I know they fly to Iraq but its better there than it used to be.

Iraq is Arab and in Middle East.

LH658 wrote:

Central Asian countries are Kazak, Uzbek, Turkmen, Tajik, Kyrgyz and even Afghan which is mistakenly lumped with Subcontinent and ME.

Caucasus states are Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia + Russian federation republics Chechnya, Dagestan and Ingushetia.

CanadaFair

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:38 pm

Emirates serves Kabul pax + cargo current, previously cargo flights were operated to Bagram.

Emirates served Baku during the 1990s.

Etihad served Yerevan a few years ago, Baku starts in March 2018.

Etihad Cargo serves Tbilisi current., planed pax service in 2015 was never launched.

Etihad Cargo served Kabul and Bagram a few years back.
Last edited by CanadaFair on Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LH658
Topic Author

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:39 pm

You would figured oil rich nation like Azerbaijan,will receive more service.

zakuivcustom

Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:53 am

LH658 wrote:

QR fly to GYD, ET is about to start GYD, FZ fly there also. Then you have J2 serving DXB. That's somehow not enough service?

And someone already mention FZ from DXB. They actually fly to ALA and TSE (Almaty and Astana, Kazakhstan), ASB (Ashgabat, Turkmenistan), FRU (Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan), DYU (Dushanbe, Tajikistan), TBS and seasonal BUS (Tbilisi and Batumi, Georgia), GYD and seasonal GBB (Baku and Qabala, Azerbaijan), and EVN (Yerevan, Armenia). No TAS (Tashkent, Uzbekistan) but that is served by HY (Uzbekistan Airways).

P.S. It is not just ME3 that don't have much aervices to the "stans" anyway. Outside of ALA, TSE, and TAS, the services to outside world is minimal and mostly by the state carrier.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

LH658
Topic Author

Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:12 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
LH658 wrote:

QR fly to GYD, ET is about to start GYD, FZ fly there also. Then you have J2 serving DXB. That's somehow not enough service?

And someone already mention FZ from DXB. They actually fly to ALA and TSE (Almaty and Astana, Kazakhstan), ASB (Ashgabat, Turkmenistan), FRU (Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan), DYU (Dushanbe, Tajikistan), TBS and seasonal BUS (Tbilisi and Batumi, Georgia), GYD and seasonal GBB (Baku and Qabala, Azerbaijan), and EVN (Yerevan, Armenia). No TAS (Tashkent, Uzbekistan) but that is served by HY (Uzbekistan Airways).

P.S. It is not just ME3 that don't have much aervices to the "stans" anyway. Outside of ALA, TSE, and TAS, the services to outside world is minimal and mostly by the state carrier.

I am talking about the bigger carriers like EK, EY, and QR. Which is why i wrote ME3. I figured since some of them are oil rich, and predominantly Muslim country there, must be some traffic also for Umrah and Hajj etc.

zakuivcustom

Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:12 am

I am talking about the bigger carriers like EK, EY, and QR. Which is why i wrote ME3. I figured since some of them are oil rich, and predominantly Muslim country there, must be some traffic also for Umrah and Hajj etc.

Umm...FZ is more or less the regional/low-cost arm of EK anyway. While FZ is not in Emirates Group, ultimately the gov't of Dubai own both, they codeshare with each other, same chairman (Al-Maktoum), and their route network doesn't really overlap.

And just b/c they're Muslim country doesn't mean their ties are strong. Most of the economic tie of the stans are to Russia, then China (Especially with Xi's "One Belt One Road" Economic push), and then the like of Germany and Turkey, and Iran to less extent. The Caucasus countries (Azerbaijan, Georgia, Armenia) economic ties more with, again, Russia, Turkey, and Iran rather than the Gulf nations. In fact, TK flys to Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajiksistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan (No Armenia, but that is b/c of history and politics anyway). Then there's FZ as I mentioned, flying to DXB as Dubai is still more or less the economic center of the whole region.

Last thing, the stans just isn't that big in population, nor are they exactly full of tourists (Although there are definitely some breathtaking places in that region). Then god knows how the bureaucracy over there works in terms of bilateral air agreements.

LH658
Topic Author

Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:17 am

zakuivcustom wrote:

Umm...FZ is more or less the regional/low-cost arm of EK anyway. While FZ is not in Emirates Group, ultimately the gov't of Dubai own both, they codeshare with each other, same chairman (Al-Maktoum), and their route network doesn't really overlap.

And just b/c they're Muslim country doesn't mean their ties are strong. Most of the economic tie of the stans are to Russia, then China (Especially with Xi's "One Belt One Road" Economic push), and then the like of Germany and Turkey, and Iran to less extent. The Caucasus countries (Azerbaijan, Georgia, Armenia) economic ties more with, again, Russia, Turkey, and Iran rather than the Gulf nations. In fact, TK flys to Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajiksistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan (No Armenia, but that is b/c of history and politics anyway). Then there's FZ as I mentioned, flying to DXB as Dubai is still more or less the economic center of the whole region.

Last thing, the stans just isn't that big in population, nor are they exactly full of tourists (Although there are definitely some breathtaking places in that region). Then god knows how the bureaucracy over there works in terms of bilateral air agreements.

Not saying it mandatory cause there Islamic nations that, they have to fly there. I am just pointing out some ties.....

ME3 mate! Etihad, QR, and EK. Cause they have large network. Not TK, Mahan Air, Fly Dubai, and etc. I guess the title, didn't get to you.

I wonder why Saudi, doesn't fly some of these nations either.

LH658
Topic Author

Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:20 am

zakuivcustom wrote:

Not saying it mandatory cause there Islamic nations that, they have to fly there. I am just pointing out some ties.....

ME3 mate! Etihad, QR, and EK. Cause they have large network. Not TK, Mahan Air, Fly Dubai, and etc. I guess the title, didn't get to you.

blink182

Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:40 am

LH658 wrote:

Oil rich is a bit of a misnomer. Yes, there is oil in the region, but the oil wealth is concentrated in the hands of a few oligarchs without any other industry to compensate. Furthermore, Azerbaijan's economy tanked a few years ago--no pun intended--and hasn't really recovered. Compared with the likes of IAH, OSL, and other energy markets that have a variety of other industries and a strong middle class, there isn't a preponderance of mid-level managers flying in and out of GYD, and BA's cancellation of LHR-GYD speaks volumes about this. Yes, Azerbaijan's formerly onerous and expensive visa process has eased, but it still has a long way to go before it increases foreign visitors, and lack of air service is certainly not a culprit to blame here.

Furthermore, as others pointed out, much of Central Asia and the Caucasus align politically and economically with Russia and Turkey, despite the geographically proximate Gulf. And, much of the wealth in many of these countries is concentrated in the hands of a small oligarchy, and there aren't many who can regularly afford to fly. From the Gulf, FZ has things very well covered, and QR and EY maintain a regular presence with their narrowbodies. Add in the Turkish and Russian carriers, and I'm not sure what more you could ask for?
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

blink182

Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:43 am

LH658 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

He got it, and he answered the question.

zakuivcustom

Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:58 am

LH658 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

Well, none of the state carriers of the stans fly to Saudi either, so there's that. On the flip side, 4 out of 5 state control carrier of the stans (Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Air Astana, Air Kyrgyzstan) does fly to DXB, while from Dushanbe, DXB is served by Somon Air instead of the state-owned Tajik Air.

And the existence of FZ is exactly why EK doesn't fly to the stans and the Caucasus countries. You just can't say "No, not flyDubai, TK, whatever". It's part of the equation. Like blink182 say, what more can you ask for anyway? 5x Daily A380 into Bishkek? Follow by 8x daily A380 into Ashgabat?

LH658
Topic Author

Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:06 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
LH658 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

Well, none of the state carriers of the stans fly to Saudi either, so there's that. On the flip side, 4 out of 5 state control carrier of the stans (Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Air Astana, Air Kyrgyzstan) does fly to DXB, while from Dushanbe, DXB is served by Somon Air instead of the state-owned Tajik Air.

And the existence of FZ is exactly why EK doesn't fly to the stans and the Caucasus countries. You just can't say "No, not flyDubai, TK, whatever". It's part of the equation. Like blink182 say, what more can you ask for anyway? 5x Daily A380 into Bishkek? Follow by 8x daily A380 into Ashgabat?

Still mate your blowing question out of portions, I don't care about FlyDubai or one airline flies there, other don't follow.

CanadaFair

Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:29 am

Qatar Airways was to be first Arab carrier to serve Kabul back in winter 2004, service announced as 4 x A320 but decided not to launch for security reasons.

Emirates planned Almaty back in the 2000s but eventually, only cargo service was operated a few years ago.

BTW Caucasus is included in West Asia along with ME and Afghanistan.

N14AZ

Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:56 am

CanadaFair wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

He never said that Iraq is Central Asia. I think you misunderstood his post. Just saying...

blink182

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:30 am

LH658 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
LH658 wrote:

Still mate your blowing question out of portions, I don't care about FlyDubai or one airline flies there, other don't follow.

If you're asking why EK doesn't fly to many of these places, the answer is that there's already enough capacity in these markets, and not nearly enough demand to fill a 77W on any regular basis. Zakui smartly points out that FZ satisfies EK's demand, even in premium cabin, and if more demand were there EK has shown that they will add capacity.
Bear in mind that places like GYD, ALA, and TSE have state-owned hub carriers too.

zakuivcustom

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:32 am

Afghanistan is either South Asia or Central Asia, but never West Asia.

Again, you are asking why ME3 doesn't fly to the stans and the Caucasus, and I already gave the answers:

DXB - Instead of EK, FZ fly there for them. The FZ fleet makes more sense compare to the EK widebodies anyway. On the flip side, 4 out of 5 "stans" state carrier, along with a private carrier (Somon) for the last of the 5 stans (Tajikistan in this case) also fly to DXB. For the Caucasus FZ fly to the capital and more of all 3 Caucasus country, J5 (Azerbaijan Air) also fly GYD-DXB.

So, if you really want me to explicitly state it, there's no reason for EK to operate to all those countries you mentioned, especially when their sister carrier (FZ) actually do fly to all of them (Including Afghanistan, which, btw, EK fly to), with a fleet that's much better size for those market.

Then there's DOH, which not only QR doesn't fly to the stans and Caucasus, none of the state carrier in those nations fly to DOH either.

Then there's AUH. EY fly to TSE and used to fly to ALA, while are going to start GYD in March, so your "why ME3 doesn't fly to all those country" doesn't even apply to EY to begin with. Not to mention, there's zero local demand and pretty much all the UAE traffic goes to DXB.

Then there's the economic tie part. I'm not going to repeat what I said.

Good enough of an answer?

blink182 wrote:
LH658 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

If you're asking why EK doesn't fly to many of these places, the answer is that there's already enough capacity in these markets, and not nearly enough demand to fill a 77W on any regular basis. Zakui smartly points out that FZ satisfies EK's demand, even in premium cabin, and if more demand were there EK has shown that they will add capacity.
Bear in mind that places like GYD, ALA, and TSE have state-owned hub carriers too.

Sigh...pretty much summarized what I try to get across.

(On a side note, no wonder people complain about how a.net is seriously full of nonsense nowaday. It's one thing to ask stuff, it's another to be not satisfy with anything but doesn't do his/her own research either)

CanadaFair

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:50 am

N14AZ wrote:
CanadaFair wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

He never said that Iraq is Central Asia. I think you misunderstood his post. Just saying...

Anyways Emirates serves Afghanistan.

LH658
Topic Author

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:32 am

zakuivcustom wrote:

Again, you are asking why ME3 doesn't fly to the stans and the Caucasus, and I already gave the answers:

DXB - Instead of EK, FZ fly there for them. The FZ fleet makes more sense compare to the EK widebodies anyway. On the flip side, 4 out of 5 "stans" state carrier, along with a private carrier (Somon) for the last of the 5 stans (Tajikistan in this case) also fly to DXB. For the Caucasus FZ fly to the capital and more of all 3 Caucasus country, J5 (Azerbaijan Air) also fly GYD-DXB.

So, if you really want me to explicitly state it, there's no reason for EK to operate to all those countries you mentioned, especially when their sister carrier (FZ) actually do fly to all of them (Including Afghanistan, which, btw, EK fly to), with a fleet that's much better size for those market.

Then there's DOH, which not only QR doesn't fly to the stans and Caucasus, none of the state carrier in those nations fly to DOH either.

Then there's AUH. EY fly to TSE and used to fly to ALA, while are going to start GYD in March, so your "why ME3 doesn't fly to all those country" doesn't even apply to EY to begin with. Not to mention, there's zero local demand and pretty much all the UAE traffic goes to DXB.

blink182 wrote:
LH658 wrote:

(On a side note, no wonder people complain about how a.net is seriously full of nonsense nowaday. It's one thing to ask stuff, it's another to be not satisfy with anything but doesn't do his/her own research either)

Read the statement clearly mate, I'm sure the ME3 fly to other destinations that have weaker, markets.

Arion640

Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:16 am

N14AZ wrote:
CanadaFair wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Yes correct. Nowhere have I said Iraq is in Central Asia. I was Literally just comparing the two.
No bumps. No bangs - Concorde

blink182

Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:25 pm

LH658 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

blink182 wrote:

Read the statement clearly mate, I'm sure the ME3 fly to other destinations that have weaker, markets.

Because those "weaker" markets may have stronger economic ties to UAE or Qatar, or one of the ME3 has a near monopoly, or the Middle East is well positioned for connecting flows to/from that city, incentives greater, and/or...
And, many of the cities you list are not the strongest markets to begin with.

In conclusion, several of us have answered your questions in clear and concise manners with great examples and evidence to claim, but I now sense this thread is really about something else. No answer we give will satisfy.

zakuivcustom

Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:14 pm

Which market are you consider "weaker"? List some example and we can go on from there. And quite frankly, unless you have, let say, PDEW numbers or something like load factor, how do you really know that a market is "weak" to begin with?

In conclusion, several of us have answered your questions in clear and concise manners with great examples and evidence to claim, but I now sense this thread is really about something else. No answer we give will satisfy.

Sadly, that's what it seems like. And this is not the first thread where the OP literally shot down every single argument against his/her claim.

Yes correct. Nowhere have I said Iraq is in Central Asia. I was Literally just comparing the two.

Most of the Iraqi flights were actually to/from Kurdistan region anyway (Erbil, Sulaymaniyah, etc.) which is totally safe. Right now, all the international flights are suspended b/c of the politics behind the Kurdistan independence referendum.

CanadaFair

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:10 pm

So as follows

EMIRATES

Afghanistan = serve Kabul currently with passenger and cargo flights, previously operated cargo flights to Bagram as well.

Azerbaijan = Baku was served during 1990s

Kazakhstan = Almaty was served with cargo flights a few years back, passenger service planned in the 2000s never happened.

ETIHAD

Afghanistan = Kabul and Bagram were served a few years back with cargo flights only

Armenia = Yerevan was served a few years back

Azerbaijan = Baku will start in March

Georgia = Tbilisi is served with cargo flights currently, passenger service planned in 2015 was never started.

Kazakhstan = currently serve Astana, while Almaty was served with cargo and passenger flights a few years back.

QATAR

Afghanistan = planned service to Kabul in 2004 never started.

Armenia = currently serve Yerevan

Azerbaijan = currently serve Baku

Georgia = currently serve Tbilisi

ahj2000

Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:40 pm

Who knows? Perhaps with all their free 320s Qatar will start connecting Central Asia to Doha.
-Andrés Juánez

zakuivcustom

Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:56 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
Who knows? Perhaps with all their free 320s Qatar will start connecting Central Asia to Doha.

100% sure that QR will order 20 more A380 just to fly there. I mean, all the oil traffic and hajj and everything. :stirthepot:

albertocsc

Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:08 pm

Actually I would like Central Asia become a competitor to Middle East in the aviation field. Let's imagine T5, HY, ZM and KC as the CA4 and competing with the ME3.
Then, about the Caucasus, I can see A9 expanding in Europe and J2 also trying to connect America and Europe with Asia as the ME3 do.
Finally, midway, IR and/or W5 could also join the thread.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos