Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pressclub
Topic Author

Brussels Airlines says farewell to the Avro RJ

Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:59 pm

Brussels Airlines operated this weekend its very last Avro RJ flight. OO-DWD landed on saturday eve after a GVA-BRU service with many avgeeks and spotters onboard. It is the end of an era for Brussels Airlines and its predecessor DAT/Sabena. Brussels Airlines and DAT/Sabena used to be the largest operator of the Avro Jumbolino. From the 4 airlines that launched the type in its fleet, Brussels Airlines was the last one to phase-out this RJ type... Nostalgic and memorable day...

KarelXWB

Re: Brussels Airlines says farewell to the Avro RJ

Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:01 pm

Lots of retirements that make the news this month.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

RJNUT

Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:30 pm

I rode on one in 1998 BRU-AMS, but must have still been Sabena then. Loved it

FoxtrotSierra

Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:32 pm

KarelXWB wrote:

Monarch
AirBerlin
United 747
KLM Fokker
Avro RJ

CSeries?

Delta A350
Qantas 787
737MAX
A330NEO

FoxtrotSierra

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:36 pm

FoxtrotSierra wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:

Monarch
AirBerlin
United 747
KLM Fokker
Avro RJ

CSeries?

Delta A350
Qantas 787
737MAX
A330NEO

and the end of EY at SFO and AF 787 at LHR.

October 29, 2017 was a rough day for the aviation world.

eamondzhang

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:31 pm

FoxtrotSierra wrote:
FoxtrotSierra wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:

Monarch
AirBerlin
United 747
KLM Fokker
Avro RJ

CSeries?

Delta A350
Qantas 787
737MAX
A330NEO

And the EY's A340 fleet retirement.

I'll try to find some more (if there are any...)

Michael

330lover

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:44 pm

Feeling sad... :(
Flew them on many occasions and enjoyed every single second on them.
Will there ever be such a good looking, cute jet around ever?
Anyone feels the same?
Britten Norman Islander VP-FBR on Falkland Islands. THAT'S FLYING!

American 767

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:28 am

Swiss also retired its last Avro RJ not long ago.
Ben Soriano

persiangulf93

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:26 am

pressclub wrote:
Brussels Airlines operated this weekend its very last Avro RJ flight. OO-DWD landed on saturday eve after a GVA-BRU service with many avgeeks and spotters onboard. It is the end of an era for Brussels Airlines and its predecessor DAT/Sabena. Brussels Airlines and DAT/Sabena used to be the largest operator of the Avro Jumbolino. From the 4 airlines that launched the type in its fleet, Brussels Airlines was the last one to phase-out this RJ type... Nostalgic and memorable day...

Qeshm Air, Taban Airlines & Mahan Air still have them in their fleet.
Last edited by persiangulf93 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

FoxtrotSierra

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:31 am

seb76

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:46 am

I remember a couple of years ago the captain of a Brussels Airlines ARJ telling us on the PA "Welcome aboard this Avro Jet, she's ugly as a chicken, but flies like an eagle!"

The model had a poor reputation in terms of cabin air quality, not a big issue for occasional travellers, but not so nice for the crews. And the overhead bins space was very restricted, especially right under the wing where the bins were even thinner than in the rest of the plane. People living underneath the departures zones of the airport also knew the very distinctive sound the model was producing during flaps retraction.
Despite all this, I will miss them. They offered a quick and nice ride and were very comfortable for a plane this size.

Embajador3

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:57 am

So sad to see this nice-looking aircraft disappear . Our European skies are getting more, and more dull... .
Flying Together

bgm

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:14 am

seb76 wrote:
I remember a couple of years ago the captain of a Brussels Airlines ARJ telling us on the PA "Welcome aboard this Avro Jet, she's ugly as a chicken, but flies like an eagle!"

The model had a poor reputation in terms of cabin air quality, not a big issue for occasional travellers, but not so nice for the crews. And the overhead bins space was very restricted, especially right under the wing where the bins were even thinner than in the rest of the plane. People living underneath the departures zones of the airport also knew the very distinctive sound the model was producing during flaps retraction.
Despite all this, I will miss them. They offered a quick and nice ride and were very comfortable for a plane this size.

They also had a lower cruising speed/altitude and terrible climb performance. But they were different (how many narrowbodies have 4 engines these days?) and were great for airports like LCY.

So long, Jumbolino...

oldannyboy

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:17 am

Sad to see the type go...
I had many flights on SN's Avros (and 146s) through many years... starting back in the early '90s when the type was still being operated in full DAT livery. I remember when the Avro was introduced, with its plush, wide , comfortable leather 'armchairs'... they were in real leather, not plastic, they were tick, soft and smelled of real leather.. the inflight service was also very good, with full meals served, plus plenty of beverages as well as wine... oh boy, what a huge difference in 20 years or so!
On a side note, I always found the Avro/146 one of the best aircrafts to fly in turbulent weather...the thick wing seemed to somehow be smoothing out the rough weather... It felt solid, powerful, safe.. The wide cabin was also very welcoming, especially when kitted out @ 5 abreast.
Lovely bird, I will miss it...

Dispatcher9999

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:53 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
FoxtrotSierra wrote:
FoxtrotSierra wrote:

Monarch
AirBerlin
United 747
KLM Fokker
Avro RJ

CSeries?

Delta A350
Qantas 787
737MAX
A330NEO

And the EY's A340 fleet retirement.

I'll try to find some more (if there are any...)

Michael

Not as big news as everything else but it was also the same day that Thomas Cook Belgium Ceased to exsist.

Seems a lot happened at the end of the S17 season.

All the best to all the staff at the various airlines that closed their doors. I hope the future is brighter for you.

Jayafe

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:15 pm

CityJet is (still) flying some (DUB-LCY). I am enjoying one next month. Everybody should do the same while it lasts!

sk736

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Jayafe wrote:
CityJet is (still) flying some (DUB-LCY). I am enjoying one next month. Everybody should do the same while it lasts!

I'm happy to pass on the 'enjoyment' of a six-abreast RJ!

JannEejit

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:21 pm

I guess the type would still be around had they opted for a two engined RJX series instead of sticking with four...?

RJNUT

Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:17 am

bgm wrote:
seb76 wrote:

They also had a lower cruising speed/altitude and terrible climb performance. But they were different (how many narrowbodies have 4 engines these days?) and were great for airports like LCY.

So long, Jumbolino...

I am pretty certain that it was on this forum where I first saw the nickname "Quadra-Puff" for the type! but still loved the bird.

peterinlisbon

Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:17 am

I loved these little planes. I used to fly on them often between LHR and BRU and the first time I thought it was amazing how low and close to the ground the cabin was. They are one of the few aircraft these days that doesn't need steps. Very practical for small airports without a lot of ground equipment.

Eurohub

Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:14 pm

Another nail in the coffin for my favourite aircraft of all time as well as the last truly British commercial aircraft makes me feel very sad indeed. Over the years, I have enjoyed flights in both 5 and 6 abreast configurations with BA CitiExpress, BA Connect, Lufthansa Regional and Swiss. Looking back in my log though and it's already three and a half years since my last flight on one, HB-IXP from STR-ZRH and so I feel sure that will end up being my last flight ever on one! So long old friend.
Forget A vs B - Give me E or BAe any day of the week!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos