Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

greggariouspdx
Topic Author

How is AS doing at DAL

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:42 pm

I am curious about the load factors for AS at DAL. I flew AS 3307 DAL-PDX earlier this month and the E175 was about 50% full.

usxguy

Re: How is AS doing at DAL

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:54 pm

My Wednesday LAX-DAL was full; and on a Friday all the AS/VX flights except SEA had no more than 9 open seats on them. So, they cant be doing too awrful.
xx

Q

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:58 pm

I was in Dallas Love Field. I saw the Alaska EMB 175 parked on remote ramp area probably saturday is off schedule or overnight parked. I just arrived 8ish AM yesterday Saturday. I didn't know that they serve there.

Q

ASFlyer

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:15 pm

... grabbing my popcorn and waiting for the regular "AS is dying and they are flying empty planes to DAL" crowd.

scoping2008

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:25 pm

The planes aren't empty. For what it's worth, flights from DAL to LGA are full today and mostly full tomorrow. Flights from DAL to SEA and PDX are full.

No doubt there will be route adjustments as AS winds down VX. Frankly, AS is very good at dropping routes quickly that don't perform.

jonair8

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:34 pm

They perform just fine. Most flights go out full or close to being full. Only thing is that passengers are probably still adjusting from the VX type of service to the AS type of service. It's a different type of clientele between the two brands, and the two brands are different still. Other than that, the E7W is a good sized aircraft for the markets that AS branded flights serve for now or if DAL.

tphuang

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:38 pm

scoping2008 wrote:
The planes aren't empty. For what it's worth, flights from DAL to LGA are full today and mostly full tomorrow. Flights from DAL to SEA and PDX are full.

No doubt there will be route adjustments as AS winds down VX. Frankly, AS is very good at dropping routes quickly that don't perform.

The walkup fares for LGA to dal are around $136 for most flights the next 3 days. That's for a 4 hour plus flight.

scoping2008

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:45 pm

tphuang wrote:
scoping2008 wrote:

The walkup fares for LGA to dal are around $136 for most flights the next 3 days. That's for a 4 hour plus flight.

Dallas, TX to New York, NY is 1,373 miles and 2 h, 53 minute flight time according to my TravelMath calculator. And we weren't discussing fares.

MIflyer12

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:18 am

scoping2008 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
scoping2008 wrote:

Dallas, TX to New York, NY is 1,373 miles and 2 h, 53 minute flight time according to my TravelMath calculator. And we weren't discussing fares.

The scheduled time is 3:52 to 3:55 on four flights LGA-DAL tomorrow. One can't assess how a flight is 'doing' without discussing fares. Average fares is a better stat than walk up but low walk up fares aren't a good sign.

stlgph

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:38 am

$140 or less last minute airfares or less between Laguardia and Dallas Love or Dallas Ft Worth are nothing new, especially this time of the year, and times when there is a little lull in travel demand here and there. If they were a huge problem, Alaska and/or Virgin would have pulled the plug a long time ago.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

NameOmitted

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:52 am

IIRC, the last of Alaska's additional DAL routes comes online in February. It may be a bit too early to make too many statements as to how the airport is working out for them.

phluser

Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:39 am

It still shows VX metal on DCA-DAL for this week.

Anecdotal, but I flew VX for the first time out of DCA two weeks ago on Tuesday evening for the $100 fare purchased 4 days in advance (lower than BWI or PHL) for a nonstop in the evening booked just a few days in advance. At that point, Southwest had $100 fares via a connection ( in HOU ) but wasn't discounting it's nonstops anymore while VX was still selling $100 fares on it's nonstops.

Great amount of leg room, movies on the seatback TV, middle seat unoccupied for many rows, as plane wasn't full. Not sure if the F class was full but when I boarded in the second group, there were just two pax seated. Between boarding groups, gate agent asked if anyone had status (so they can board before the second group of pax) and nobody answered.

The BWI/DCA/IAD- DAL/DFW fares in general are very competitive, largely due to AA and WN fare matching NK on the BWI side, and VX on the DCA side. I don't know how AS will be able to compete on the route. It could probably make more profit running DCA-MCO or ORD, and running DAL-ORD or something shorter from both DCA and DAL.

vadodara

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:22 am

AS seems to have done a fairly decent job in right-sizing DAL. Swapping the A3XX with E190s and adding more turns should provide a nice critical mass. My sense is that AS may add some additional connectors like JFK and BWI but that might be ways away.

Regarding walk-up fares, Spirit flies DFW-LGA and controls the floor on prices as well. Not an indicator to airline performance.

airliner371

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:32 am

ASFlyer wrote:
... But yes, let's rehash it all once again.

It'd make for a more thoughtful and interesting conversation as opposed to just targeting someone. I suggest that you should then think about why you're posting. It sounds like you're posting to prove someone wrong rather than listening to what is being said and discussing where you both agree and disagree.

SANFan

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:09 am

NameOmitted wrote:
IIRC, the last of Alaska's additional DAL routes comes online in February. It may be a bit too early to make too many statements as to how the airport is working out for them.

SAN and SJC nonstops begin next Feb 16.

And next June (3), SAN and PDX will see daily-double flights to Love Field! (Source: online AS flight schedules.) That tells me either things are going pretty well at Dallas or at least AS is prepared to make a serious attempt at it!

On a related note, my hope is that AS will offer SAN-DCA service (via DAL) with direct, thru-plane service on a permanent basis! During the last Beyond-Perimeter case in 2012, AS made a valiant effort to win approval for nonstop SAN-DCA; they didn't get it but a direct, no-change-of-plane r/t flight would be the next best thing. Fingers crossed.

bb

us330

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:27 pm

Well, FWIW, Alaska may need to do a better job of marketing in the DFW/Dallas area. There's not a lot of brand recognition of Alaska down here, and outside of taking over a prominent billboard downtown that used to belong to Virgin America, I'm not sure how many people know that they took over Virgin and are now operating on some routes.

Are you able to still earn AAdvantage miles on AS flights out of Love, or was that a carve out as part of the regulatory approval to purchase Virgin?

SANFan

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:01 pm

us330 wrote:
Well, FWIW, Alaska may need to do a better job of marketing in the DFW/Dallas area. There's not a lot of brand recognition of Alaska down here, and outside of taking over a prominent billboard downtown that used to belong to Virgin America, I'm not sure how many people know that they took over Virgin and are now operating on some routes.

Are you able to still earn AAdvantage miles on AS flights out of Love, or was that a carve out as part of the regulatory approval to purchase Virgin?

This argument had validity years ago when AS was first adding flights around the U.S. beyond the PNW and the west coast. And before the internet opened up the availability of information of any company doing business.

AS now has a presence all over the U.S., except maybe in the Caribbean islands such as Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. AAG is not in every airport but they are at most major airports, and in most areas of the U.S. Including Dallas, where they've served DFW for several years.

I imagine it took a little while for people in Texas to figure out what Virgin America was as well! And Love Field is served by what, 3 carriers total? Shouldn't take the users of DAL long to get used to seeing the 'Alaska Airlines' instead of Virgin America.

bb

thewizbizman

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:32 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
... grabbing my popcorn and waiting for the regular "AS is dying and they are flying empty planes to DAL" crowd.

Hahahahaha
But they are dying, flying to DAL gave the airline a boost. The Virgin deal is keeping them afloat. They have decreased there presence in KMSP as well. I am still curious who will "Win" the battle for KSEA. Alaska or Delta.
"Aviation is the youngest big industry, but it is the fastest growing baby ever. A few years ago, it was called impossible to fly…The day of the airplane is surely here."

April 17, 1929 / C. E. Woolman

TerminalD

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:41 pm

scoping2008 wrote:

ASFlyer wrote:

The loads were never the problem except to Austin which was hideous. The problem continues to be fare levels. Looking at DOT and more recent MIDT/TCN data, the fares are actually lower on DAL-LAX/SFO/DCA/LGA for AS/VX than they were a year ago. The load are pretty flat. I think some of those routes transitioned to RJs in that timeframe so the CASM also went up. So, bottom line, performance has worsened in those markets by what looks like 10% on the revenue side and I'm not sure the RJ mix so I don't know on the cost side, but it is worse with smaller planes as they will have higher CASM. We don't have any real data on SEA/PDX yet. I would assume they will be better than LAX/SFO/DCA/LGA, but significantly worse than DFW-PDX/SEA have performed.

Having said all of that, AS has a lot deeper pockets, so they can afford to lose money in DAL. OTOH, if they thought the brand change would waive a magic want over VX performance, it hasn't. I think DAL has performed poorly for WN to a number of markets as well. It's a little surprising since DAL did better than DFW pretty much across the board in the prior era where DAL was regionally restricted. It's not clear if DAL is lagging for AS/VX/WN in some of these beyond perimeter markets because of passenger behavior changing slowly, AA Advantage lock-in, or geography of the airports relative to the traffic. Probably some of each...

jordanh

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:05 pm

TerminalD wrote:
I think DAL has performed poorly for WN to a number of markets as well. It's a little surprising since DAL did better than DFW pretty much across the board in the prior era where DAL was regionally restricted. It's not clear if DAL is lagging for AS/VX/WN in some of these beyond perimeter markets because of passenger behavior changing slowly, AA Advantage lock-in, or geography of the airports relative to the traffic. Probably some of each...

Love Field is very convenient for many business flyers traveling to Houston, Austin, and nearby states; why drive an extra 20-30 minutes (to DFW) to catch a flight that lasts only 45 minutes or an hour? Southwest took advantage of that early on, and built a following based on quick flights and frequent schedules.

That advantage dissipates when taking a flight a longer distance; an extra 20 minutes of driving to catch a 3 or 4 hour flight, on an arguably more comfortable aircraft, with a frequent flyer program that can get you international flights, is a minor consideration.

TerminalD

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:21 pm

jordanh wrote:
TerminalD wrote:
I think DAL has performed poorly for WN to a number of markets as well. It's a little surprising since DAL did better than DFW pretty much across the board in the prior era where DAL was regionally restricted. It's not clear if DAL is lagging for AS/VX/WN in some of these beyond perimeter markets because of passenger behavior changing slowly, AA Advantage lock-in, or geography of the airports relative to the traffic. Probably some of each...

Love Field is very convenient for many business flyers traveling to Houston, Austin, and nearby states; why drive an extra 20-30 minutes (to DFW) to catch a flight that lasts only 45 minutes or an hour? Southwest took advantage of that early on, and built a following based on quick flights and frequent schedules.

That advantage dissipates when taking a flight a longer distance; an extra 20 minutes of driving to catch a 3 or 4 hour flight, on an arguably more comfortable aircraft, with a frequent flyer program that can get you international flights, is a minor consideration.

That sounds reasonable. I think the extra 20 minutes should still be significant, plus DFW is much more time consuming to navigate once there. Door to door (airplane door) it's probably double that vs. DAL. I think the AA Advantage lock-in is a big factor.

F27500

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:36 pm

An EMB175 has the range for DAL-PDX ??

TerminalD

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:41 pm

F27500 wrote:

They are also flying DAL-SEA. SEA-MKE is the longest route for the jet.

greggariouspdx
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:30 pm

us330 wrote:

Yes you can still earn AAdvantage miles os AS flights thru Dec 31st.

greggariouspdx
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:33 pm

F27500 wrote:

I wondered the same thing before I took AS 3307 DAL-PDX earlier this month so I asked the Pilot before boarding. He said that fully loaded the E175 has a range of 2,000 miles. DAL-PDX is 1626 miles - not a lot of cushion but enough to divert to SEA, BOI, or GEG if weather is an issue.

jplatts

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:06 pm

TerminalD wrote:
jordanh wrote:
TerminalD wrote:

That sounds reasonable. I think the extra 20 minutes should still be significant, plus DFW is much more time consuming to navigate once there. Door to door (airplane door) it's probably double that vs. DAL. I think the AA Advantage lock-in is a big factor.

DFW Airport does have the DART Orange Line that goes to and from Terminal A at DFW, and the ride from the DFW Airport station to Downtown Dallas on the DART light rail Orange Line is approximately 50 minutes. On the other hand, you have to take the DART Love Link bus to get to the DART light rail from Dallas Love Field, and the ride to Downtown Dallas from DAL via the DART Love Link bus and the DART Light Rail is approximately 35 minutes. Even though DAL is much closer to downtown Dallas than DFW is and even though the ride from DAL to Downtown Dallas on DART is shorter than the ride from DFW to Downtown Dallas on the DART Orange Line, the DART Orange Line allows access from DFW Airport to Downtown Dallas without having to change buses or trains between DFW Airport and Downtown Dallas.

There is certainly demand for service out of DFW Airport to other Texas destinations and vice versa for the following reasons:
  • DFW is closer to the city of Fort Worth than DAL is
  • Over 2 million DFW-area residents live closer to DFW than DAL
  • Some of the travelers are actually going to destinations in the DFW Metroplex that are closer to DFW than DAL
  • Some of the travelers are actually connecting through DFW on AA to other destinations
  • There are AA frequent flyers in the DFW Metroplex and other AA hub city markets who prefer to fly on AA over other airlines serving DFW and DAL
  • IAH has nonstop service to DFW but not DAL
  • IAH also has nonstop service to DFW on both AA and UA
  • IAH is closer to some of the residents in Greater Houston than HOU is
  • Some of the Greater Houston customers prefer to fly on UA over other airlines serving IAH and HOU

usxguy

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:38 pm

Checking loads DALLGA, they seem to be doing quite well. I would not be surprised if AS brings back 1 or 2 mainline planes. The only flight consistently open is the 10am, thats probably the flight people are seeing the dirt cheap fares on. Other than that, the rest are all quite packed (with exceptions of normal 'light demand days')
xx

wntex

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:43 pm

TerminalD wrote:
scoping2008 wrote:
I would assume they will be better than LAX/SFO/DCA/LGA, but significantly worse than DFW-PDX/SEA have performed.

But isn't it safe to assume that due to the lower costs of operating out of DAL vs. DFW, the routes may be performing no worse than before?
"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want now." -Zig Ziglar

DarthLobster

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:43 pm

thewizbizman wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

Hahahahaha
But they are dying, flying to DAL gave the airline a boost. The Virgin deal is keeping them afloat. They have decreased there presence in KMSP as well. I am still curious who will "Win" the battle for KSEA. Alaska or Delta.

Gasp! Downsizing at MSP, the most important non-hub, non-focus city dominated by a different carrier?!!? THE END IS NIGH! ABANDON SHIP!!!!

As far as SEA goes, the instant there’s a downturn or DL hits a rough patch, they’re going to dump their low-yielding routes out of SEA. DL may be doing decent business in Seattle, but they have continually failed to uproot the hometown airline, and they won’t always be able to afford to fly loss-making routes solely in the name of brand flaunting.

ASFlyer

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:37 pm

thewizbizman wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

Hahahahaha

I don't even know what any of this means. The Virgin deal is hardly "keeping them afloat". Alaska gave Virgin employees stable careers at a well run company where they will have much better compensation packages. There are hiccups (all that came to fruition after the acquisition, and some related to the same) that will be ironed out. Alaska is still making money and, in spite of things, doing quite well. As for MSP - AS has 3x daily service to SEA, flights to SFO, SAN and PDX. The AS presence at MSP is greater now than ever before. They've gone from 2x daily flights to SEA just a couple of years ago to 6x daily flights to 4 cities. There is no "battle for Seattle". Both airlines seem to be prospering - while Alaska has not lost any market share and maintains a dominant position there.

F27500

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:24 pm

TerminalD wrote:
F27500 wrote:

They're great planes and very comfy. Do they have a F cabin too ? Or all Y ?

And if F ... what sort of catering do they do up front? These are pretty long flights.

greggariouspdx
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:52 pm

F27500 wrote:
TerminalD wrote:
F27500 wrote:

They're great planes and very comfy. Do they have a F cabin too ? Or all Y ?

And if F ... what sort of catering do they do up front? These are pretty long flights.

Yes they have a decent F cabin with 12 seats. The layout is 1x2 in 4 rows and there is a lav up front as well. I flew in First on a lunch flight and was served a warm chicken caesar salad, roll, brownie, and a small shrimp cocktail. It was perfectly acceptable and the FA in First was outstanding as my drink never went dry. There are power outlets in First but no video. It's not Emirates, but it was fine. They are also priced $150 less each way than AA in First.

ScottB

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:27 pm

jordanh wrote:

IMO the bigger factor is that AA generally has more attractive schedules than WN on the longer domestic routes from DFW as compared to DAL; that's partly due to the gate cap at DAL. With an effective cap of around 200 daily departures at DAL, WN will never be able to match frequency with AA in all markets where they compete head-to-head. WN goes 4x daily between DAL & LAX; AA flies DFW-LAX 13x daily.

jplatts wrote:
DFW Airport does have the DART Orange Line that goes to and from Terminal A at DFW, and the ride from the DFW Airport station to Downtown Dallas on the DART light rail Orange Line is approximately 50 minutes. On the other hand, you have to take the DART Love Link bus to get to the DART light rail from Dallas Love Field, and the ride to Downtown Dallas from DAL via the DART Love Link bus and the DART Light Rail is approximately 35 minutes.

The public transit angle is essentially meaningless with respect to the higher-value customers both carriers would like to attract. These are the ones who are parking in the terminal garages, renting cars, or using a taxi or app ride like Uber or Lyft. Mass transit links are used by low-paid employees and highly price-sensitive customers at most U.S. airports, and that's probably even more true in a car-centric location like Dallas.

And if you're not flying AA, you're stuck taking a van shuttle between Terminal A and Terminals D or E at DFW if you have checked luggage.

SANFan wrote:
I imagine it took a little while for people in Texas to figure out what Virgin America was as well! And Love Field is served by what, 3 carriers total? Shouldn't take the users of DAL long to get used to seeing the 'Alaska Airlines' instead of Virgin America.

Well, it does seem strange to be taking an airline named Alaska between Dallas & New York; the name is more specific to a place than an abstract compass direction. But the bigger issue is that even if they "get used to" the brand, it will still be nearly impossible to be relevant to many customers with at most twenty departures in six to ten markets. Serve too many markets and the schedules are unattractive; go with high frequency in a few markets and you can't get people where they want to go.

username21

Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:44 am

ScottB wrote:
Well, it does seem strange to be taking an airline named Alaska between Dallas & New York; the name is more specific to a place than an abstract compass direction.

It is weird to take an airline named Alaska from Hawaii/Mexico to California, however AS does it and does it well.

atypical

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:06 am

ScottB wrote:
Well, it does seem strange to be taking an airline named Alaska between Dallas & New York; the name is more specific to a place than an abstract compass direction.

Just apart of a long tradition:

Air Atlanta
Philadelphia - New York (JFK)

Air Wisconsin
Pittsburgh - Fort Wayne

Florida Express
Richmond - Norfolk

Air Florida
Indianapolis - Columbus

New York Air
New Orleans - Washington (IAD)

Pacific Southwest Air
Reno - Seattle

Reno
Seattle - Anchorage

Trans Caribbean
Washington (IAD) - New York (JFK)

America West
Columbus - Toronto

Texas International
Salt Lake City - Denver

SANFan

Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:20 am

atypical wrote:
ScottB wrote:

Just apart of a long tradition:

Air Atlanta
Philadelphia - New York (JFK)

Air Wisconsin
Pittsburgh - Fort Wayne

Florida Express
Richmond - Norfolk

Air Florida
Indianapolis - Columbus

New York Air
New Orleans - Washington (IAD)

Pacific Southwest Air
Reno - Seattle

Reno
Seattle - Anchorage

Trans Caribbean
Washington (IAD) - New York (JFK)

America West
Columbus - Toronto

Texas International
Salt Lake City - Denver

You forgot

Southwest Airlines
Albany-Baltimore

n7371f

Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:51 am

DAL won't be around in a few years for AS. AS is a west coast airline...and it is wasting assets flying out of DAL. Given the developments of the last few days with earnings and investor pressure, this will be accelerated.

EA CO AS

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:15 am

n7371f wrote:
DAL won't be around in a few years for AS. AS is a west coast airline...and it is wasting assets flying out of DAL. Given the developments of the last few days with earnings and investor pressure, this will be accelerated.

Or, they'll be wildly successful at DAL and will eventually upgauge their equipment there.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

vadodara

Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:11 pm

DAL could be a great spoke to a range of W. Coast cities. DAL, could also leverage 1-stop flights from SAN/SNA to LGA/DCA and such. Too early to write DAL off.

With 2 gates, they may be able to squeeze out 20-24 flights.

SANFan

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:12 pm

vadodara wrote:
DAL could be a great spoke to a range of W. Coast cities. DAL, could also leverage 1-stop flights from SAN/SNA to LGA/DCA and such. Too early to write DAL off.

With 2 gates, they may be able to squeeze out 20-24 flights.

According to my count, AS's June 3 summer schedule, with an additional SAN and PDX r/t, will be at 20 daily departures from Love Field. (AS will have 6 RONs on that sked as well.) That's up from 18 departures on the mid-February sked. Those 2 gates will be pretty busy but it should work. The situation of course doesn't allow much wiggle room for wx or mx delays.

And unfortunately there don't appear to be any direct, thru-flights offered between the east and west coasts via DAL. That could change with some minor adjustments that will take place with the schedule over the next 8 months, before June 3.

bb

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos