Mortyman
Topic Author

OSM Aviation takes steps to educate enough pilots

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:22 pm

Starts own school to prevent pilot shortage

The staffing agency OMS Aviation and the part owner Norwegian take steps to educate enough pilots.

The staffing agency OMS Aviation starts a new flight school in Arendal ( Norway ) with the goal of educating 100 pilots annually, writes Dagens Næringsliv.

OMS Aviation, of which Norwegian is part owner, now buys 51 percent of the Scandinavian Aviation Academy (SAA) flight school in Sweden and starts a new school on Norwegian soil.

The new flight school will be opened at the private airport Gullknapp in Aust-Agder, Norway

http://e24.no/naeringsliv/norwegian-air ... l/24174826
Last edited by qf789 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling in title

b747400erf

Re: OMS Aviation takes steps to educate enough pilots

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:35 am

There are more than enough pilots, there are not enough pilots willing to work for such low pay and benefits that many airlines are offering.

Mortyman
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:19 am

b747400erf wrote:
There are more than enough pilots, there are not enough pilots willing to work for such low pay and benefits that many airlines are offering.

Wich is why Norwegian has employed 100 New ones in just the last two weeks ...

albertocsc

Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:47 pm

I guess you are referring to OSM Aviation, the company providing Norwegian with staff.

Mortyman
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:26 pm

albertocsc wrote:
I guess you are referring to OSM Aviation, the company providing Norwegian with staff.

You are ofcourse correct.

n6238p

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:22 pm

Meanwhile the rest of aviation takes steps to educate pilots on why they shouldn't work for this garbage staffing company.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

Mortyman
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:29 pm

n6238p wrote:
Meanwhile the rest of aviation takes steps to educate pilots on why they shouldn't work for this garbage staffing company.

Primarely childish and delusional US airlines and US unions yes who are dissepointed that their cries to their political friends in DC couldn't change the outcome that was clear from the get go. The US airlines and unions had no case to begin with.

n6238p

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:16 pm

It's funny how OSM never advertises what they pay their pilots. Just "fly shiny new jet across ocean and get ten days off a month".
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

mcdu

Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:20 am

[threeid][/threeid]
Mortyman wrote:
b747400erf wrote:

If it’s no problem for Norwegian to get pilots then why start the program. Or is this 100 ex monarch pilot willing to take the job while they search for something better?

Mortyman
Topic Author

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:47 am

mcdu wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]
Mortyman wrote:
b747400erf wrote:

If it’s no problem for Norwegian to get pilots then why start the program. Or is this 100 ex monarch pilot willing to take the job while they search for something better?

Well, they have a lot of expansion planned and need a lot of pilots. Better to be proactive.

They have hired pilots from both Ryanair and Monarch among others this year yes. Ryanair pilots are apparently very happy about the better pay and conditions at Norwegian according to a recent newsarticle.

PHBVF

Re: OSM Aviation takes steps to educate enough pilots

Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:11 am

Mortyman wrote:
n6238p wrote:

Primarely childish and delusional US airlines and US unions yes who are dissepointed that their cries to their political friends in DC couldn't change the outcome that was clear from the get go. The US airlines and unions had no case to begin with.

As a former Norwegian F/O I concur. Company always treated me very well, pay was more than enough to cover my monthly expenses and the people we worked with were professional and friendly.
Licensed 777/787 driver

SamYeager2016

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:16 am

Perhaps some of these new pilots will be tempted to go and work for US regionals who as we all know have super salaries and fantastic T&Cs. :stirthepot:

n6238p

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:18 am

I just want to know what's the Norwegian pay scale. Let's side by side them and work rules with other trans Atlantic carriers.

RL757PVD

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:51 am

Anyone who thinks that pilot supply is not going to be a major problem in the coming years is either:

1) not looking at GA and flight training statistics and seeing where those next pilots will come from (equivalent of a city like Phoenix adding 1 million new residents and wondering why there’s not enough water to go around)

2) work for a major airline and honestly don’t care because it becomes and excuse to reduce capacity and raise fares, leaving the bottom line and shareholder returns untouched.

A similar situation is also unfolding with mechanics.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

mcdu

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:38 pm

PHBVF wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
n6238p wrote:

As a former Norwegian F/O I concur. Company always treated me very well, pay was more than enough to cover my monthly expenses and the people we worked with were professional and friendly.

Why did you leave if it was great?

mcdu

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:39 pm

Mortyman wrote:
mcdu wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]
Mortyman wrote:

Well, they have a lot of expansion planned and need a lot of pilots. Better to be proactive.

They have hired pilots from both Ryanair and Monarch among others this year yes. Ryanair pilots are apparently very happy about the better pay and conditions at Norwegian according to a recent newsarticle.

Well a news article is all the “facts” anyone would need then. There is never any spin in news articles.

NAI, DY, Norwegian of any variation is a risky career bet.

PHBVF

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:43 pm

mcdu wrote:
PHBVF wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

Because I had the opportunity to work for a legacy, with a base near my home town.
Licensed 777/787 driver

mcdu

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:44 pm

SamYeager2016 wrote:
Perhaps some of these new pilots will be tempted to go and work for US regionals who as we all know have super salaries and fantastic T&Cs. :stirthepot:

I believe the T&C’s at the US regionals had gotten much better. Also many of the regionals have preferential hiring or direct flow through agreements to the major carrier.

What does Norwegian offer? Are the pilots allowed to move between subsidiary flying? Can 787 FO bid to 737 capt for advancement or are they at the mercy of the staffing firm (OMS) for their contract renewals? If they want to change seats:planesdo they have to pay for the type ratings on the new aircraft as they do now?

I would never consider buying a ticket on a carrier that required the pilot to pay for their own training.

mcdu

Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:59 pm

PHBVF wrote:
mcdu wrote:
PHBVF wrote:

Because I had the opportunity to work for a legacy, with a base near my home town.

You were not confident that DY,NAI et all would not expand to your home location? I suppose there is no seniority to throw away by leaving a company that doesn’t honor seniority.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos