pabloeing
Topic Author

LEVEL hub in MAD....out of BCN

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:36 am

More news coming very soon....but the decision is near to be complet.
LEVEL will be based in MAD.

https://cronicaglobal.elespanol.com/bus ... 2_amp.html

oldannyboy

Re: LEVEL hub in MAD....out of BCN

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:50 am

Well...trying hard to stay off hot political topics as much as possible...but certainly this is one of many unwelcome results given by the reckless Catalan insurrection...
IAG already has a lot on their plate with Vueling (based and HQ'd in LBL) so I suppose they are trying to keep their latest venture a tad safer with a MAD base...

MrBren

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:53 am

That is a MAD decision IMHO.

LupineChemist

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:00 am

Considering tourism is already quite a bit in Catalonia, it probably makes a lot of sense to diversify with the option to move back later.

I suspect tourism will be back by next year, but the current political mess will certainly impact business for many years to come, so I'd bet Level doesn't fully leave but may concentrate a bit on MAD, particularly for EZE where they can try and keep the low end of the market on Level marketed flights and premium passengers on IB marketed flights.

All of that said, they're really going to have to get the immigration sorted out in T4S at Madrid if they really want to raise capacity that much.

ro1960

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:03 am

To be clear, current destinations out of BCN will remain. However IAG is not confirming these infos from "well-informed sources in the airport sector".

To be continued...
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

enilria

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:31 am

I understand the politics, but for the airline industry it's a dumb move. Level exists to block DY. If DY has a free hand in BCN then Level has no real reason to exist.

Dutchy

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:37 am

IAG has a hard time nowadays. First the Brexit with unknown consequences for their business, now Catalunia with unknown consequences for their Barcelona hub.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

OA940

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:50 am

MrBren wrote:

Really now?
A350/CSeries = bae

JannEejit

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:11 pm

So 'London Airways' now does a 'Madrid Airways'... quelle surprise... ;-)

downtown273

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:18 pm

To me it's all a big mess. IAG will have 5 airlines and their subsidiaries flying in and out of Madrid, offering connections between themselves: Iberia, Vueling, Level, Iberia Express and British Airways.

Kikko19

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Dy will fill the gap BCN is too big market, never mix politics with money...

Kadish

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:38 pm

If they use level to open new destinations such as secondary american cities or asian places where yields are low, like Bkk,India...its ok, otherwise its crazy.
I wonder if Ib will allow that.

LupineChemist

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:41 pm

downtown273 wrote:
To me it's all a big mess. IAG will have 5 airlines and their subsidiaries flying in and out of Madrid, offering connections between themselves: Iberia, Vueling, Level, Iberia Express and British Airways.

Air Nostrum, BA City Flyer and Aer Lingus also serve MAD. EI isn't even in the same terminal.

So you can put 8 airlines there.

albertocsc

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:46 pm

LupineChemist wrote:
Air Nostrum, BA City Flyer and Aer Lingus also serve MAD.

Actually Citiflyer stopped the route some months ago.

OlympicATH

Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:47 pm

LupineChemist wrote:
Air Nostrum, BA City Flyer and Aer Lingus also serve MAD. EI isn't even in the same terminal.

So you can put 8 airlines there.

Air Nostrum is not owned by IAG.

AASAP777

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:02 pm

Shouldn't they wait for the December elections in Catalonia to see what happens? So far, it is still an authonomous community in Spain and it shall remain as such as long as the politics don't change the scenario. I think they should wait a bit on this.
Bendiga Dios la pródiga tierra en que nací....God bless the prodigal land where I was born.
H O N D U R A S! Five star country...Un país de cinco estrellas.

seahawk

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:10 pm

Considering the risk of longer trouble in Catalonia including the risk of strikes, it is a cautious decision.

sevenair

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:15 pm

I can't see what the problem is with continuing BCN ops.

Yes, the people will be promised a recession, house price crash, massive unemployment, terrorism, closure of business and moving of jobs, etc, etc but in reality life carries on much as it always did and will likely continue to grow, employment may hit record highs and inward investment may hit new highs and new companies arriving and current companies expanding could mean a bigger customer base for LEVEL.

A premature move. Isn't it just a threat to 'pivot' investment away from BCN if they do move?

mercure1

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:44 pm

Like banks and other business moving their headquarters out of Barcelona due to unknown business climate and legal situation, its a prudent move to an upstart like LEVEL with all of its eggs in single basket to look for alternatives and play it safe.
mercure f-wtcc

ro1960

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:36 pm

AASAP777 wrote:
Shouldn't they wait for the December elections in Catalonia to see what happens? So far, it is still an authonomous community in Spain and it shall remain as such as long as the politics don't change the scenario. I think they should wait a bit on this.

If you have been following the news, Madrid has sacked Catalonia’s regional government and parliament before calling for an election. So Catalonia is no longer autonomous. Even their Police force (The Mossos d'Esquadra) is under control of the central government.

Kadish

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:37 pm

sevenair wrote:
I can't see what the problem is with continuing BCN ops.

Yes, the people will be promised a recession, house price crash, massive unemployment, terrorism, closure of business and moving of jobs, etc, etc but in reality life carries on much as it always did and will likely continue to grow, employment may hit record highs and inward investment may hit new highs and new companies arriving and current companies expanding could mean a bigger customer base for LEVEL.

A premature move. Isn't it just a threat to 'pivot' investment away from BCN if they do move?

I think u are watching a different movie. Things will recover and be as usual,sure. But it will take a while. I read that about 2000companies are out because of the scenareo.

AASAP777

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:45 pm

ro1960 wrote:
AASAP777 wrote:

If you have been following the news, Madrid has sacked Catalonia’s regional government and parliament before calling for an election. So Catalonia is no longer autonomous. Even their Police force (The Mossos d'Esquadra) is under control of the central government.

Sure. I've read about Article 155 and Rajoy taking over the Generalitat and its institutions. But I guess (I am not Spanish, hence I don't side Puigdemont or Rajoy) the people should be allowed to be heard on those elections. I've read all political organizations in Catalonia are going to participate, so this is definitely a chance to put the things the right away. Should the separatists win, there is no way back. Should the loyalists, same thing.

Businesswise, I guess LEVEL should wait for that. As Catalonia will not be right away a part of the EU should they finally get independent (and they'll have a hard time to be if they do become independent), the best thing for them will be moving elsewhere in Spain, but, only if everything is final.
Bendiga Dios la pródiga tierra en que nací....God bless the prodigal land where I was born.
H O N D U R A S! Five star country...Un país de cinco estrellas.

rouelan

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:45 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Like banks and other business moving their headquarters out of Barcelona due to unknown business climate and legal situation, its a prudent move to an upstart like LEVEL with all of its eggs in single basket to look for alternatives and play it safe.

But IAG already said that they would develop Level from other Vueling bases, namely Paris and Rome. So, it was never their intent to put all eggs in the same basket. So, I cant see the rationale of operating from Madrid

ro1960

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:58 pm

AASAP777 wrote:
ro1960 wrote:
AASAP777 wrote:

Sure. I've read about Article 155 and Rajoy taking over the Generalitat and its institutions. But I guess (I am not Spanish, hence I don't side Puigdemont or Rajoy) the people should be allowed to be heard on those elections. I've read all political organizations in Catalonia are going to participate, so this is definitely a chance to put the things the right away. Should the separatists win, there is no way back. Should the loyalists, same thing.

Businesswise, I guess LEVEL should wait for that. As Catalonia will not be right away a part of the EU should they finally get independent (and they'll have a hard time to be if they do become independent), the best thing for them will be moving elsewhere in Spain, but, only if everything is final.

My remark was on "So far, it is still an authonomous community in Spain". I shouldn't have quoted the rest of your post with which I agree.

downtown273

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:59 pm

rouelan wrote:
But IAG already said that they would develop Level from other Vueling bases, namely Paris and Rome. So, it was never their intent to put all eggs in the same basket. So, I cant see the rationale of operating from Madrid

They're leaving the BCN routes as they are. It's only their future routes that are being launched from MAD, not the current ones. They must feel that MAD offers a more stable future. Can't really blame them for that.

NichCage

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:17 pm

No doubt that this whole independence movement will affect BCN. Hopefully BCN will recover at some point when this is hopefully all over.

Otherwise, it would be nice to see BCN get even more South American routes. They have BOG, GRU, EZE, LIM, and SCL I believe. If they could get routes like CCS and GIG for example it would be an nice addition. Even if LEVEL flew to cities like HAV and MEX from BCN that would also be an welcomed addition as well.

eidvm

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:35 pm

How will this go down with the Iberia unions in Madrid? From what I understood from the agreement gotten to start up LEVEL from unions was that it wouldn't be used as a tool to threaten jobs in MAD, only for starting a fare war with DY.

Jayafe

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:11 pm

MrBren wrote:

If this is a joke as "insane", it's a pretty bad one.

If you suggest this is a move decided by Madrid, it is simply wrong (and non sense)

LHRFlyer

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:51 pm

IAG said at the results announcement on Friday that the next base for LEVEL would be announced in late November / early December and the final decision is some weeks away.

C010T3

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:48 pm

The logic behind companies moving away from Catalonia is the fear that they will be cut off from the rest of Spain.

There is no reason for IAG to move anything away from BCN to MAD, since their headquarters are already in MAD.

Of course they can adjust the capacity and revisit plans for further services, because the region is bound to suffer economically, but staying in Catalonia can be an advantage if the independence were to come through.

Vueling as a Catalonian airline, for example, could have its status as foreign-owned become grandfathered, something from which airlines that merely have aircraft based at Catalonian airports would not be able to profit.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos