craigferg501
Topic Author

American Airlines to close St. Louis pilot base in September 2018

Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:51 pm

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ame ... ember-2018
American Airlines will close its pilots base in St. Louis in September of next year. Will affect 180 pilots but won't lead to the loss of any jobs. The decision comes as AAL retires more of McDonnell Douglas MD-80 aircrafts.

santi319

Re: American Airlines to close St. Louis pilot base in September 2018

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:26 pm

The final nail in the coffin for TWA :'(

chepos

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:29 pm

I’m surprised it lasted this long
Fly the Flag!!!!

nutsaboutplanes

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:32 pm

Glad to see the airline is moving forward with post merger synergy. Tough decisions to be made but financially and operationally prudent.
American Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Northwest Airlines, America West Airlines, USAFR

alasizon

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:33 pm

nutsaboutplanes wrote:
Glad to see the airline is moving forward with post merger synergy. Tough decisions to be made but financially and operationally prudent.

This is a post merger synergy from the last merger that is long overdue.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

Austin787

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:38 pm

This was only a matter of time once STL was dehubbed

ty97

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:40 pm

Not fun for those 180 pilots, but with the ability to commute (a pretty amazing airline job perk) at least they will be okay, if somewhat worse off.

drdisque

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:46 pm

ORD and DFW are easy commutes. Their real choice is whether they want to bid for the 737 or Airbus fleet.

mikejepp

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:08 pm

drdisque wrote:
ORD and DFW are easy commutes. Their real choice is whether they want to bid for the 737 or Airbus fleet.

Not easy when each flight has one jumpseat available and there are 180 other pilots trying to do the same thing.

CATIIIevery5yrs

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:18 pm

drdisque wrote:
ty97 wrote:
Not fun for those 180 pilots, but with the ability to commute (a pretty amazing airline job perk) at least they will be okay, if somewhat worse off.

There’s no easy commute. Ever. Commuting is a hit on quality of life. Unfortunately, in a lot of cases, there’s no better option.

Jumpseats are a privilege amongst professionals, not really a perk.

Flighty

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:23 pm

Assuming they have seniority boarding, then they should be in good shape. If not, then not.

71Zulu

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:26 pm

Pilots jumpseat in seniority order?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

CATIIIevery5yrs

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:36 pm

71Zulu wrote:

Depends on each carriers jumpseat policy.

TVNWZ

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:37 pm

mikejepp wrote:
drdisque wrote:

Not easy when each flight has one jumpseat available and there are 180 other pilots trying to do the same thing.

There are not 180 pilots living in the Bi-State area. Many commute just like any other base.

MIflyer12

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:45 pm

Austin787 wrote:

Given the seniority they had to have to hold a job at TWA's end-of-life, plus the ~17 years since AA bought the TWA assets, on average these remaining pilots must have pretty good seniority. They should be able to hold a line in any pilot base from which they choose to work.

ckfred

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:52 pm

A. For some time, a number of STL trips started with a deadhead to ORD and ended with a deadhead from ORD to STL. For several years after the AA/TW merger, STL was a 757/767 crew base. Often, a pilot assigned to STL had to deadhead to ORD. I've known a couple of AA pilots who flew the 757/767 out of ORD, and that arrangement bugged them.

B. Quite often, pilots don't live in the general area of a crew base. I flew TWA shortly before the merger was finalized. The captain was STL crew base, but he lived in Tampa. According my pilot friends who are ORD crew base, a lot of AA pilots commute to Chicago. In fact, one friend of mine who had been a 757/767 captain wound up commuting from ORD to MIA, because of the reduction of 757/767 flying out of ORD, as those aircraft were shifted to MIA to replace the A300s.

qcpilotxf

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:56 pm

CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:
71Zulu wrote:

Americans Non Rev policy is check in time

MO11

Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:20 am

qcpilotxf wrote:
CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:
71Zulu wrote:

What does that have to do with the jumpseat?

RyanairGuru

Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:36 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
Austin787 wrote:

Given the seniority they had to have to hold a job at TWA's end-of-life, plus the ~17 years since AA bought the TWA assets, on average these remaining pilots must have pretty good seniority. They should be able to hold a line in any pilot base from which they choose to work.

DId their TW seniority carry over? It didn’t for the flight attendants who went to the bottom of the AA seniority list. The only thing their TW seniority counted for was the order in which they were added to AA’s list.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

alasizon

Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:29 am

MO11 wrote:
qcpilotxf wrote:
CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:

What does that have to do with the jumpseat?

Well, the jumpseat is a non-revenue seat when commuting. Pilots can call to get a priority listing if they are commuting for work, but that too is by time of call, not seniority.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

777PHX

Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:03 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Austin787 wrote:

DId their TW seniority carry over? It didn’t for the flight attendants who went to the bottom of the AA seniority list. The only thing their TW seniority counted for was the order in which they were added to AA’s list.

The pilots didn't get as bad of a deal as the FAs did, but it wasn't kind to them.

IIRC, that was part of the reason for the STL base. The pilots were fenced in on the MD80 fleet so they could keep their seats if they stayed at the base.

TWA302

Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:13 am

My neighbor here in STL is a Captain for WN. He is based at MDW. He and his family chose to live here in STL and commute to MDW. Better schools and the cost of living and taxes are significantly less.

miaami

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:25 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Austin787 wrote:

TWA F/A's did retain seniority for pay and vacation time.

UpNAWAy

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:26 pm

Pilots not living were they are based is amazingly common. It seems most I ever ask don't but that cannot be statistically correct. What I more amazed at when talking to Pilots is how many live in really small towns hours from a bigger city airport. Like GJT or FLG so that adds some serious commuting issues.

nc3rd

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:46 pm

AA jumpseat is a reservation based system for AA pilots. Up to a week in advance a pilot can reserve the seat, it doesn't have anything to do with seniority at AA. TWA were put on the bottom of the AA seniority list when they merged, and soon there after 9-11 occurred and AA didn't hire until after the USAirways merger, so many TWA pilots are still near the bottom end of the seniority ladder. If the jumpseat is reserved already they will be able to commute using non-rev privileges whose priority is determined by time of check-in starting 24 hrs before the flight.
The views written above are mine and mine alone and do not represent any official information from any airline or company

TWA302

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:49 pm

miaami wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

They sure did NOT. http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL2N15W0JM

My sister and a friend of mine were all stripped of their seniority by AA.

TVNWZ

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:54 pm

Correction: Your sister and friend were all stripped of their seniority by the AA FA union. Not the airline.

N983AN

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:59 pm

TWA302 wrote:
miaami wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

American didn’t take their occupational seniority, the machinists union waived the LPPs and successor language in the TW CBAs in order for the transaction to be consummated.

TW employees at all classifications have company seniority with their original TW hire date which governs pay rates and vacation time.

Amazing so many people can’t grasp this simple concept and bury their head in the sand and refuse understand that TW was a basket case and couldn’t continue to limp along as a going concern in January 2001.

Dominion301

Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:51 pm

drdisque wrote:

...or stay on the Mad Dog into 2019. :)

TWFlyGuy

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:02 pm

Just curious, can they bid CLT/PHL/PHX as well? I thought the fences came down and they could. ORD is the closest to STL (is you live there) but those other options may work as well.

Tugger

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:26 pm

Crew base can change throughout a pilots career based on where the seniority is for what they fly and of course where a type is based. If people can move up in seniority by going to a different base (not always possible) some will do it. But you don't generally move each time, esepcially with a flight perk to commute.

The other thing to consider is that cost of living at some bases can be very high and starting pay can be very low. So with the benefit of being able to commute for free, living where one can afford to live is an important consideration. And once you get married and start a family etc. that cost of living decision becomes a "I don't want to uproot my family" decision and so you live in one place, work in another.

And lastly, while jumpseat is one option, many (most?) will travel in open seats in the rear and can do so across various airlines. So you are not stuck with such limited options for seats.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

nc3rd

Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:06 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:
Just curious, can they bid CLT/PHL/PHX as well? I thought the fences came down and they could. ORD is the closest to STL (is you live there) but those other options may work as well.

They are free to bid whatever and wherever they wish (777 Miami or PHL 190 for example) and will be awarded positions based on what their seniority can hold.
The views written above are mine and mine alone and do not represent any official information from any airline or company

jetskipper

Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:43 pm

How many MD-80 flights a day does AA have at STL? Just trying to compare to UAs CLE departures. UA still has a 737 pilot base in CLE from CO, UA seems pretty reactionary, wonder if they will follow suit by closing inefficient crew bases.

Jshank83

Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:01 pm

jetskipper wrote:
How many MD-80 flights a day does AA have at STL? Just trying to compare to UAs CLE departures. UA still has a 737 pilot base in CLE from CO, UA seems pretty reactionary, wonder if they will follow suit by closing inefficient crew bases.

They will have 6 on this upcoming friday. 3x dfw 3x ord
I chose a random day next year Feb 9th is 8 flights. 4x dfw 4x ord

Woodreau

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:35 pm

There was a recent lawsuit of ex-TWA pilots against AA that they lost. A lot of the ex-TWA pilots held superseniority due to the SLT base in STL, and because of their superseniority could hold captain over AA pilots who were senior(and could not hold captain) to the TWA pilots. With the Airways/AA merger and the new JCBA, the superseniority went away and a lot of the ex-TWA pilots being on the bottom of the AA seniority list can no longer hold the captain seat their superseniority allowed them and were demoted back to FO ( the reason for the lawsuit), and have to wait their turn to upgrade again with the new-hires.

So none of the 180 pilots will lose the jobs, but they will all be FOs again as their seniority doesn't allow them to hold captain.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

as739x

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:54 pm

drdisque wrote:

ORD-STL is a horrible commute. Not easy at all. I have been 1 of 6 pilots waiting for the J/S before and that rolls flight to flight on both UA and AA. This will royally suck for the AA guys deciding on going to ORD. I don't know much about DFW, most of our pilots use WN to Love
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

777PHX

Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:21 am

Woodreau wrote:
There was a recent lawsuit of ex-TWA pilots against AA that they lost. A lot of the ex-TWA pilots held superseniority due to the SLT base in STL, and because of their superseniority could hold captain over AA pilots who were senior(and could not hold captain) to the TWA pilots. With the Airways/AA merger and the new JCBA, the superseniority went away and a lot of the ex-TWA pilots being on the bottom of the AA seniority list can no longer hold the captain seat their superseniority allowed them and were demoted back to FO ( the reason for the lawsuit), and have to wait their turn to upgrade again with the new-hires.

So none of the 180 pilots will lose the jobs, but they will all be FOs again as their seniority doesn't allow them to hold captain.

Not necessarily. The remaining TW pilots hold higher seniority than any new hires post 2000, so they should be able hold the left seat given the right equipment and base.

Jshank83

Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:29 am

Woodreau wrote:

I saw in a pilot forum that the number in STL are about half pilots and half FOs already. Also that 180 might be on the high side of the number in STL.

miaami

Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:38 pm

TWA302 wrote:
miaami wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

TWA F/A's were stapled to the bottom of bidding seniority list but DID retain seniority for pay and vacation purposes.

Wacker1000

Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:55 pm

CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:
Unfortunately, in a lot of cases, there’s no better option.

A quick Google search yields several moving companies and realtors that serve the St. Louis area....

CATIIIevery5yrs

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 pm

Wacker1000 wrote:
CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:

A quick Google search yields several moving companies and realtors that serve the St. Louis area....

Let me guess, you’re a DO for a marginal air carrier?

777PHX

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:18 pm

miaami wrote:
TWA302 wrote:
miaami wrote:

TWA F/A's were stapled to the bottom of bidding seniority list but DID retain seniority for pay and vacation purposes.

I'm pretty sure that's correct. My aunt was an F/A for Ozark, TW and then AA and AA allowed her to retire on time and retain her benefits. She was senior enough to have gotten called back several years ago, but she was done.

Wacker1000

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:15 am

CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:
Wacker1000 wrote:
CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:

Let me guess, you’re a DO for a marginal air carrier?

Is that French for living in the same city as your employment?

kitplane01

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:44 am

as739x wrote:
drdisque wrote:

ORD-STL is a horrible commute. Not easy at all. I have been 1 of 6 pilots waiting for the J/S before and that rolls flight to flight on both UA and AA. This will royally suck for the AA guys deciding on going to ORD. I don't know much about DFW, most of our pilots use WN to Love

So what happens if your the 6th pilot waiting for the jump seat and you have a work flight scheduled in 3 hours?

kitplane01

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:46 am

nutsaboutplanes wrote:

I honestly don't understand. How does this save anyone any money? AA will still be paying the same pilots the same pay.

LAXtoATL

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:51 am

kitplane01 wrote:
nutsaboutplanes wrote:

I honestly don't understand. How does this save anyone any money? AA will still be paying the same pilots the same pay.

You don't see how it saves the airline money to close a base where they have almost no flight operations and consolidate where they have large operations??? For one you eliminate the overhead associated with a base and more importantly you can more efficiently schedule these pilots versus having to fly them on duty to where the planes are (not only do you not have to pay them to move them into position but pilot duty time is limited by the FAA so it limits the time to schedule them actually flying planes).

usflyguy

Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:05 am

kitplane01 wrote:
nutsaboutplanes wrote:

A crew base, such as that in STL, comes with staff on the ground. Chief pilots, assistant chief pilots, administrative staff, office space, etc., etc., etc. Some airlines do utilize virtual bases linked to a larger base, but STL was not one of those.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

drdisque

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:25 pm

kitplane01 wrote:
as739x wrote:
drdisque wrote:

So what happens if your the 6th pilot waiting for the jump seat and you have a work flight scheduled in 3 hours?

Then you are an idiot. You need to plan on commuting more than 3 hours before your first assignment and if your commute involves a route that's known to be tough, then you need to plan accordingly. IE Jumpseat on WN to MKE and drive to ORD - Jumpseat on WN or DL/DLX to DTW or MSP or CVG and then on your own carrier or DL to ORD - just drive to ORD if the flights look bad (it's only a 4.5 hr drive) - buy a ticket on Air Choice One with a stop in DEC or BRL. Hell, even though I doubt they're in CASS the pilot might let you ride for free.

If you can't get where you're going within a reasonable amount of time with full reciprocal flight benefits and CASS, you don't know what you're doing.

Jshank83

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:56 pm

drdisque wrote:
kitplane01 wrote:
as739x wrote:

Then you are an idiot. You need to plan on commuting more than 3 hours before your first assignment and if your commute involves a route that's known to be tough, then you need to plan accordingly. IE Jumpseat on WN to MKE and drive to ORD - Jumpseat on WN or DL/DLX to DTW or MSP or CVG and then on your own carrier or DL to ORD - just drive to ORD if the flights look bad (it's only a 4.5 hr drive) - buy a ticket on Air Choice One with a stop in DEC or BRL. Hell, even though I doubt they're in CASS the pilot might let you ride for free.

If you can't get where you're going within a reasonable amount of time with full reciprocal flight benefits and CASS, you don't know what you're doing.

Or even take one of the 5 amtraks a day for $30. Plenty of ways to plan ahead. Trying to go last minute probably won't work out well.

Jamake1

Tue May 15, 2018 10:48 am

Flight crews who live away from base for lower taxes end up paying a huge price in time. For me, the time cost outweighed the higher expense of living near my assigned domocile.
Come fly the sun.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos