Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MooLor

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - November 2017

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:35 am

kriskim wrote:
MooLor wrote:
Something with LCCs in Australia has always puzzled me, but not sure if I'm puzzled by MEL or SYD.

MEL is a long-time JQ hub - with the only direct flight to their SIN hub AFAIK. And D7 flew to MEL first. MEL seems to have JQ services where SYD has QF services. And now D7 is *not* reducing capacity to MEL.

For quite a while SYD didn't have a LCC, until TZ went there - first of the major cities. D7 followed around the same time, and 5J - Cebu - came along more recently. Still not a large JQ presence.

Getting a low airfare is a bit of a sport with me - transited overnight at MNL to take advantage of 5J's inaugural special fares on a one-stop, flew JQ once when they first opened SYD - HKT with special fares. But LCCs are a last resort, I struggle to see where they attract a loyal following.

I know there are substantial Malaysian & Indian student / general populations in VIC that likely accounts for the differences, but still it seems out of balance. I just don't know if I'm puzzled that MEL is a relatively strong LCC market or that SYD is relatively weak. Perhaps it's more a case of more capacity into SYD generally increases availability of special fares on full service carriers. Certainly into Asia, where the LCCs operate.

In regards to D7, it’s quite simple really, MEL has the largest Australia-Malaysia traffic, a lot of VFR and student traffic and increasingly a lot of business traffic.

To me JQ has a few groups when it comes to International flying.

Japan Group (CNS/OOL-NRT/KIX)
Melbourne and Sydney Hub group (Main Hubs)
Bali Group (Australia-DPS)
Pacific Group (Australia-New Zealand/Fiji)

Yes, I see that Melbourne has a large Malaysian population, but it is not the only Malaysian population in the country. D7 does better in MEL and TZ/TR in SYD though, so it may be as simple as the larger expat population.

I cannot imagine D7 / JQ attract much genuine business traffic, not when there are full service carrier/s on a route - can you imagine the whining within a company using LCCs for business pax? Haha, apart from the hard and soft product chasms, cozy business lounges and gate-scrums are worlds apart. I'm imagining suited business-types with noses pressed against lounge glass. :D

SYD has JQ International routes but I wouldn't call it a hub btw. Just a port with some of JQ's demographic in the catchment - they have to offer non-stops to be competitive. JQ doesn't connect SYD to their SE Asian hub directly, which demonstrates SYD's status within the network.

But yeah, not trying to be argumentative. Just curious about the LCC situation in this country - I'd be interested to know the number of LCC seats out of the different ports.

MooLor

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:46 am

ben175 wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:
https://centreforaviation.com/insights/analysis/airasia-x-slashes-capacity-to-sydney-perth-and-gold-coast-as-focus-shifts-from-australia-to-asia-386234

AirAsia X Malaysia is slashing capacity to Gold Coast, Perth and Sydney in 2018 in attempt to improve the profitability of its Australia operation. The long haul low cost airline is cutting flights to Perth by 50%, to Gold Coast by 36% and to Sydney by 21% from the beginning of Feb-2018.

I thought Australia was their most profitable part of the network and we were soon to see massive expansion? I can't keep up...

Disappointing to see such a drastic reduction to PER, but how many frequencies will be left? The double daily flights aren't year round... surely 7 x weekly will be maintained?
Wouldn't be surprised to see them cut PER to a 320neo in the near future.

Malindo must be very happy with this news.

I read somewhere that D7 are looking to lease A330-CEO in the short term until their A330-NEO enter the fleet. To fuel their China expansion. SE Asia has seen somewhat of an explosion in Chinese tourist numbers - expats in Phuket say the market is now "70% Chinese" (and restaurants are suffering.) That may just be expat whining though - there does often seem to be a bit of a "colonial" mentality within that group.

D7 may simply be diverting capacity to more lucrative routes. Funny thing is, knowing a LCC is flying at or near capacity on a route makes me much less likely to fly with them. So I am unlikely to use D7 after these changes.

xiaotung

Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:25 am

Some radio in Melbourne has reported that Juneyao Airlines (HO) will soon launch MEL even before they receive their first widebody aircraft. The new route may be operated by their A321 via DRW from NKG.

They have 10 x B787-9 on order with the 1st one arriving in October 2018. Juneyao is a Star Alliance Connecting Partner with reciprocal FFP agreement with UA, AC, BR, CA, and SQ.

TN486

Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:12 am

http://avherald.com/h?article=4b160410&opt=0

An accident with an ATR 72 in CBR a week ago, operated by Virgin. Wind shear on landing resulting in a skid an tail strike. No casualties.
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

planemanofnz

Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:30 am

xiaotung wrote:
Some radio in Melbourne has reported that Juneyao Airlines (HO) will soon launch MEL even before they receive their first widebody aircraft. The new route may be operated by their A321 via DRW from NKG.

They have 10 x B787-9 on order with the 1st one arriving in October 2018. Juneyao is a Star Alliance Connecting Partner with reciprocal FFP agreement with UA, AC, BR, CA, and SQ.

I wonder if this move is merely to secure the NKG - MEL rights under China's 'one airline per one long-haul route' policy, before its widebodies arrive?

In May of this year, HO's Chairman, Wang Junjin, said that the carrier was evaluating possible destinations in Europe, Australia and the United States.

See: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... 18-437564/.

Cheers,

C.

cougar15

Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:46 am

aerokiwi wrote:
Actually on fleets, does anyone have any insight on Qantas's experience with the A300? From an operational perspective and customers satisfaction etc. Always thought it was an interesting footnote in Qantas history. And did it contribute to QF going for the A330?

Replying to this one so late, as I had to find the time to dig thru the garage , after having a ball reading old Aus. Aviation´ mags from the ´90´s. late last year.
Finally found the issue in question, March 1994...
Heading ´Additional A300´s for Qantas?
" Qantas management is examining a proposal from Airbus Industrie that they lease additional A300 twinjets""
Don't want to quote the whole article, but in a nutshell, ......" .. about a third of the cost of leasing additional 767´s, imediate availability, full international standard first class cabins and underfloor freight capacity far in excess of that available on the 767. ...."

So yes, an orphan fleet, but not totally disliked in Mgmt once they got their head around the bus and it´s economics in the day!
some you lose, others you can´t win!

decry

Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:02 am

Air Canada 777 C-FNNH now wearing the new AC livery is due into Sydney @ appox 11.30 tomorrow as AC33!

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:50 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
https://centreforaviation.com/insights/analysis/airasia-x-slashes-capacity-to-sydney-perth-and-gold-coast-as-focus-shifts-from-australia-to-asia-386234

AirAsia X Malaysia is slashing capacity to Gold Coast, Perth and Sydney in 2018 in attempt to improve the profitability of its Australia operation. The long haul low cost airline is cutting flights to Perth by 50%, to Gold Coast by 36% and to Sydney by 21% from the beginning of Feb-2018.

AirAsia’s total Malaysia-Australia capacity will drop by 26% year-over-year. However, AirAsia X may add flights to Melbourne later in 2018, partially offsetting the declines elsewhere in Australia.

———

Air Asia are a hard group to work out at the best of times, but it seems their longer haul X operations are a science in itself.

Recently they have been talking about adding new Australian destinations, yet now come out and are likely to slash capacity again.

Certainly some significant cuts there, with PER likely seeing the effect of a cooling economy and the added competition from Malindo.

AirAsia X reducing PER has nothing to do with a cooling economy. As already pointed out it is as a result of increased competition on the route, recent bad press and AirAsia X having a shortage of aircraft and choosing to deploy the aircraft on routes where they are needed, a similar situation to what MH has done with their PER route in recent times. The reference of " a cooling economy" is utter nonsense. The WA economy has bottomed out earlier in the year and over the past 6 months there has been some recovery in the economy. This recovery will continue in 2018 and things will improve more once the new refinery in Kwinana for the next big thing opens for production at the end of next year. There has not be one single international airline that flies to PER that has cited a capacity reduction due to the state of the economy, in fact passenger numbers have grown. The only changes in reducing capacity have been domestically including intraWA.
Forum Moderator

waoz1

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:34 am

qf789 wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:

AirAsia’s total Malaysia-Australia capacity will drop by 26% year-over-year. However, AirAsia X may add flights to Melbourne later in 2018, partially offsetting the declines elsewhere in Australia.

———

Air Asia are a hard group to work out at the best of times, but it seems their longer haul X operations are a science in itself.

Recently they have been talking about adding new Australian destinations, yet now come out and are likely to slash capacity again.

Certainly some significant cuts there, with PER likely seeing the effect of a cooling economy and the added competition from Malindo.

AirAsia X reducing PER has nothing to do with a cooling economy. As already pointed out it is as a result of increased competition on the route, recent bad press and AirAsia X having a shortage of aircraft and choosing to deploy the aircraft on routes where they are needed, a similar situation to what MH has done with their PER route in recent times. The reference of " a cooling economy" is utter nonsense. The WA economy has bottomed out earlier in the year and over the past 6 months there has been some recovery in the economy. This recovery will continue in 2018 and things will improve more once the new refinery in Kwinana for the next big thing opens for production at the end of next year. There has not be one single international airline that flies to PER that has cited a capacity reduction due to the state of the economy, in fact passenger numbers have grown. The only changes in reducing capacity have been domestically including intraWA.

I totally agree, this whole cooling WA economy is non starter and seems to be non west aussies pushing that. There is a pick up in the economy after bottoming out and someone involved work has picked up considerably. Malindo did seem to have a dream start here and priced right so made it popular straight away. Bet we will see Malindo announce an increase in the no so distant future.

planemanofnz

Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:13 am

qf789 wrote:
The WA economy has bottomed out earlier in the year and over the past 6 months there has been some recovery in the economy. This recovery will continue in 2018.

I am only looking on as an outsider, but as per domestic Australian media, WA seems to be a mixed bag:

- WA was the only state economy to record negative growth ... wages growth would only rise by 1.7 per cent in 2017-18
- The State added 20,000 jobs since the start of the year ... Perth reported a 4.5 per cent increase in visitors last month

See:
- http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-21/w ... ta/9175306.
- https://www.perthnow.com.au/business/ec ... b88661427z.

In terms of aviation specifically, according to OAG and WA Government data, the picture is not pretty at all:

At Perth, capacity is down by 2.1% for the year-to-date. If the year continues like this, 2017 will see capacity somewhere between what it was in 2012 and 2013. That’s a lot of years with effectively no growth and bucks the trend in most major developed countries.

See: https://www.oag.com/blog/western-austra ... er-of-hope.

In terms of actual airline activity, a number of D7's competitors had reduced capacity at PER before it did:

- MH downgraded its KUL - PER service from a 333 to a 738
- OD reduced its KUL - PER service from 12x to 10x weekly flights
- SQ downgraded one of its SIN - PER services from a 333 to a 772
- TR downgraded the majority of its SIN - PER services from a 789 to a 788

Surely many of these factors would have helped D7 in maintaining its existing capacity levels at PER?

Cheers,

C.

waoz1

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:02 am

planemanofnz wrote:
qf789 wrote:
The WA economy has bottomed out earlier in the year and over the past 6 months there has been some recovery in the economy. This recovery will continue in 2018.

I am only looking on as an outsider, but as per domestic Australian media, WA seems to be a mixed bag:

- WA was the only state economy to record negative growth ... wages growth would only rise by 1.7 per cent in 2017-18
- The State added 20,000 jobs since the start of the year ... Perth reported a 4.5 per cent increase in visitors last month

See:
- http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-21/w ... ta/9175306.
- https://www.perthnow.com.au/business/ec ... b88661427z.

In terms of aviation specifically, according to OAG and WA Government data, the picture is not pretty at all:

At Perth, capacity is down by 2.1% for the year-to-date. If the year continues like this, 2017 will see capacity somewhere between what it was in 2012 and 2013. That’s a lot of years with effectively no growth and bucks the trend in most major developed countries.

See: https://www.oag.com/blog/western-austra ... er-of-hope.

In terms of actual airline activity, a number of D7's competitors had reduced capacity at PER before it did:

Surely many of these factors would have helped D7 in maintaining its existing capacity levels at PER?

Cheers,

C.

International passengers are up, its the domestic one thats are down. That will be to do with mines coming online and not requiring the fly in fly out people as much, so the intra-state numbers are the ones that have taken the hardest hit. International did have some additions this year and obviously the new numbers via Perth-London will increase too.

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/surging- ... b88647698z

planemanofnz

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

waoz1 wrote:
International passengers are up, its the domestic one thats are down. That will be to do with mines coming online and not requiring the fly in fly out people as much, so the intra-state numbers are the ones that have taken the hardest hit. International did have some additions this year and obviously the new numbers via Perth-London will increase too.

I see - thank you for clarifying.

It seems that domestic capacity will increase too - passenger traffic at BME is expected to exceed 400,000 in FY2017/18, an increase of 9% year-on-year, thanks to the addition of PER - BME frequencies by QF and VA.

See: https://blueswandaily.com/broome-intern ... to-grow-9/.

Cheers,

C.

waoz1

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:41 am

planemanofnz wrote:
waoz1 wrote:

It seems that domestic capacity will increase too - passenger traffic at BME is expected to exceed 400,000 in FY2017/18, an increase of 9% year-on-year, thanks to the addition of PER - BME frequencies by QF and VA.

Cheers,

C.

Broome is trying to get people to go, I do wonder if its something to do with the new dreamliner flights as Qantas have added regional WA return flights for next to nothing into the price for the Perth to London flights. Tho Virgin Australias F100 are getting old and tired, used to fly them when they had E90s or 737s but not now.

USAOZ

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:52 am

waoz1 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
waoz1 wrote:

Cheers,

C.

Broome is trying to get people to go, I do wonder if its something to do with the new dreamliner flights as Qantas have added regional WA return flights for next to nothing into the price for the Perth to London flights. Tho Virgin Australias F100 are getting old and tired, used to fly them when they had E90s or 737s but not now.
All Qf, VA & Alliance F100's will surely fly until they need a major check as apparently they are so cheap to acquire & operate, cf. any other "similar sized" aircraft on a per seat basis. Similar as in say up to 189 seats or more, as not a lot of approx 100 seaters around.

QF adding regional WA flights to PER for next to nothing to try & stop other airlines dumping seats to WA regions to connect ex PER to LON with one stop, where any other carrier will have to pay a lot to get those pax to PER.

eta unknown

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:17 am

Cheers,

C.[/quote]
Malindo reduced to 10 flightsa for a while, but are now back to 12x/week

Obzerva

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:46 am

USAOZ wrote:
waoz1 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

All Qf, VA & Alliance F100's will surely fly until they need a major check as apparently they are so cheap to acquire & operate, cf. any other "similar sized" aircraft on a per seat basis. Similar as in say up to 189 seats or more, as not a lot of approx 100 seaters around.

QF adding regional WA flights to PER for next to nothing to try & stop other airlines dumping seats to WA regions to connect ex PER to LON with one stop, where any other carrier will have to pay a lot to get those pax to PER.

I’d be interested to know what VA is going to replace the F100s with eventually. They’re not in a position to go regional aircraft shopping currently, but it does seem the answer isn’t Embraers.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:03 pm

VH-ZNA diverted to ADL today, possible medical while operating PER-MEL

http://theqantassource.com/qantas-b787- ... diversion/
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:42 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
In terms of actual airline activity, a number of D7's competitors had reduced capacity at PER before it did

As already pointed out this is due to other factors and not a "cooling economy" as others refer to

MH downgraded PER to 738 due to increase competition. Operating a smaller aircraft will help improve yields

Malaysia Airlines has decided to permanently downgauge its Perth product from the A330-300 to 737-800, resulting in a 44% reduction in capacity, due to increased competition.

Malaysia Airlines has been impacted over the last couple of years by expansion in the Perth market from other Malaysian carriers as well as other foreign carriers. Mr Bellew said Kuala Lumpur-Perth yields have plummeted and are now even lower than the average yield on the Kuala Lumpur-Kota Kinabalu domestic route.

https://blueswandaily.com/malaysia-airl ... ors-to-wa/

MH has also been on record about adding a second daily flight in 2018 when aircraft become available

Perth will see twice-daily Boeing 737 flights and “we will have the Boeing 737s available next year to be able to do that,” Bellew forecasts.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/malaysia-airli ... s-to-perth

Currently running at 12 frequencies per week

This has not taken place yet. Will come into effect from 1 March 2018. By this time there is a good chance that 772's in SQ's fleet will outnumber A333's as A333's are being withdrawn as more A350's come into the fleet. We are only talking a difference of a maximum of 19 seats per day. One could argue that this is a upgrade with more premium seats are on offer 38J on the 772 versus 30J on the A330's

Not true, TR has sent the 789 to PER 165 times this year where as the 788 has visited 162 times. When TR (or TZ as it was) started 789 service to PER it was only 5 weekly for most of the year (up to daily during peak periods), operating a mix 788/789 service allows for a daily service. It also should be noted that TR also operates a mix 788/789 service to both SYD and OOL
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:12 pm

According to the 787 blog

VH-ZNB will be delivered 12th December (previously listed as 1st December)
VH-ZNC will be delivered 22nd January (previously listed as 31st December)
Forum Moderator

eamondzhang

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:25 pm

qf789 wrote:

This has not taken place yet. Will come into effect from 1 March 2018. By this time there is a good chance that 772's in SQ's fleet will outnumber A333's as A333's are being withdrawn as more A350's come into the fleet. We are only talking a difference of a maximum of 19 seats per day. One could argue that this is a upgrade with more premium seats are on offer 38J on the 772 versus 30J on the A330's

One can also argue this is an upgrade if SQ sends the 772 with long haul C (9V-SV* series)

Michael

planemanofnz

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:41 am

GA is increasing its MEL services (both MEL - CGK and MEL - DPS).

Garuda Indonesia GM Melbourne Micky Irfandi said the airline plans to increase Melbourne frequency from 29-Dec-2017.

The airline will increase Jakarta-Melbourne frequency from twice to four times weekly on 02-Dec-2017 and increase Denpasar-Melbourne frequency from daily to eight times weekly on 29-Dec-2017.

See: https://blueswandaily.com/garuda-indone ... -dec-2017/.

It is great to see GA boosting its Australian operations, despite its current financial difficulties.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Also in ASEAN, Australia - Vietnam traffic has surged by 70% since JQ launched SGN.

See: https://blueswandaily.com/australia-vie ... -heats-up/.

I wonder if we will see further expansion in this market, such as VN at BNE or PER, or QF starting SGN.

TT are reported to be doing well at MEL, with double digit growth.

See: http://www.anna.aero/2017/11/27/tigerai ... wing-fast/.

I wonder if TT will ever be tempted by the trans-Tasman market.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:49 am

qf789 wrote:
MH downgraded PER to 738 due to increase competition. Operating a smaller aircraft will help improve yields.

Yes, which is my point - this should have helped D7 to maintain its existing capacity - MH now sells less low-fares ex-PER.

qf789 wrote:
Not true, TR has sent the 789 to PER 165 times this year where as the 788 has visited 162 times.

According to routesonline:

Scoot from June 2017 is adjusting service for Singapore – Perth service, currently served daily with Boeing 787-9 aircraft.

From 02JUN17, 4 of 7 weekly flights will be operated by the -8, while operational schedule pushes back by nearly 3 hours.

TZ008 SIN1220 – 1725PER 789 246
TZ018 SIN1500 – 2005PER 788 x246

TZ007 PER1835 – 2345SIN 789 246
TZ017 PER2110 – 0230+1SIN 788 x246

Is this incorrect now? :?:

Cheers,

C.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:21 am

The economics of the F100 are based around the ability if an airline to operate an aircraft for 12 hours per day in the Western Australian market.
The F100 can fly to a destination sit for half the day and return back to its base airport at less cost than a,newer type aircraft

smi0006

Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:44 am

planemanofnz wrote:
GA is increasing its MEL services (both MEL - CGK and MEL - DPS).

Garuda Indonesia GM Melbourne Micky Irfandi said the airline plans to increase Melbourne frequency from 29-Dec-2017.

The airline will increase Jakarta-Melbourne frequency from twice to four times weekly on 02-Dec-2017 and increase Denpasar-Melbourne frequency from daily to eight times weekly on 29-Dec-2017.

See: https://blueswandaily.com/garuda-indone ... -dec-2017/.

It is great to see GA boosting its Australian operations, despite its current financial difficulties.

Also in ASEAN, Australia - Vietnam traffic has surged by 70% since JQ launched SGN.

See: https://blueswandaily.com/australia-vie ... -heats-up/.

I wonder if we will see further expansion in this market, such as VN at BNE or PER, or QF starting SGN.

TT are reported to be doing well at MEL, with double digit growth.

See: http://www.anna.aero/2017/11/27/tigerai ... wing-fast/.

I wonder if TT will ever be tempted by the trans-Tasman market.

Cheers,

C.

That’s great to see GA grow CGK ex MEL. Twice weekly must have been a hard frequency to sell, even rotating Crew through DPS to reduce costs would have been hard to generate return business traffic I would have thought. And additional DPS flying, always astounds me the demand to DPS, I know the dynamics & market are changing and the yield increasing but still.

Equally great to see VN and JQ increase the Vietnam market, most likely pulling away from onestop options, but good to see. I’d like to see JQ give Cambodia a crack next Siem Reap perhaps Phnom Penh. As has been suggested maybe hand MEL-BKK back to QF to release a frame.

ZuluAlpha

Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:51 am

qf789 wrote:
According to the 787 blog

VH-ZNB will be delivered 12th December (previously listed as 1st December)
VH-ZNC will be delivered 22nd January (previously listed as 31st December)

If this delay of VH-ZNB does come into fruition, will there be potential for the delayed MEL LAX MEL QF95/96 Rotation
Flown on:_CRJ, CR7 D10 DHT DH8, DH2, DH3, DH4, EMB, E45, E75, E90, F28 J32 M80 SH6 320, 32B, 332, 333, 380, 717, 732, 733, 734, 73H, 743, 744, 752 762, 763, 772, 77W

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:11 am

planemanofnz wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Not true, TR has sent the 789 to PER 165 times this year where as the 788 has visited 162 times.

According to routesonline:

Scoot from June 2017 is adjusting service for Singapore – Perth service, currently served daily with Boeing 787-9 aircraft.

From 02JUN17, 4 of 7 weekly flights will be operated by the -8, while operational schedule pushes back by nearly 3 hours.

TZ008 SIN1220 – 1725PER 789 246
TZ018 SIN1500 – 2005PER 788 x246

TZ007 PER1835 – 2345SIN 789 246
TZ017 PER2110 – 0230+1SIN 788 x246

Is this incorrect now? :?:

Cheers,

C.

No its not correct as when this was announced TR was already flying the 788 to PER on average 2-3 times a week
Forum Moderator

planemanofnz

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:28 am

qf789 wrote:
No its not correct as when this was announced TR was already flying the 788 to PER on average 2-3 times a week

According to TR's own timetable on its website, PER has in fact been downgraded to only have 3x confirmed 789 flights per week.

See: http://www.flyscoot.com/images/plan-you ... edule2.pdf.

See also: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/TGW17.

Are TR and routesonline both incorrect?

Cheers,

C.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:39 am

planemanofnz wrote:
qf789 wrote:

According to TR's own timetable on its website, PER has in fact been downgraded to only have 3x confirmed 789 flights per week.

See: http://www.flyscoot.com/images/plan-you ... edule2.pdf.

See also: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/TGW17.

Are TR and routesonline both incorrect?

Cheers,

C.

I have been working on something and have kept records on 787 flights from earlier in the year, for example in April Scoot operated the 788 on 13 flights that month
Forum Moderator

planemanofnz

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:45 am

qf789 wrote:
I have been working on something and have kept records on 787 flights from earlier in the year, for example in April Scoot operated the 788 on 13 flights that month

The point of my original post was to highlight downgrades by carriers over the course of this year.

TR may well have flown the 789s for most of April, but since June, it is the 788s that now do so.

This is definitely a clear downgrade, and should have helped D7 to maintain its capacity at PER.

Cheers,

C.

qf002

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:50 am

ZuluAlpha wrote:
If this delay of VH-ZNB does come into fruition, will there be potential for the delayed MEL LAX MEL QF95/96 Rotation

Definitely cutting it close. Delivery on the 12th will arrive in Australia on the 14th (or maybe 13th evening) and they will need the aircraft to operate to LAX on the 16th.

Boof

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:11 am

QF41 wrote:
Anyone know why TT504 is returning to Hobart? It flew almost over LST and has now turned around and flying back to HBA. Its 5500ft and descending

Can't be 100% sure as some of the conversation is missing but according to the transcript on Live ATC they went back due to weather in MEL and the long holding that developed as MEL had storms, down to one runway and the hold time had blown out. TT tanker fuel into HBA so probably wasn't carrying enough reserves when they planned fuel before leaving MEL on the first leg south.
Bring back Virgin Blue!

qantas747

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:56 pm

qf002 wrote:
ZuluAlpha wrote:

Definitely cutting it close. Delivery on the 12th will arrive in Australia on the 14th (or maybe 13th evening) and they will need the aircraft to operate to LAX on the 16th.

Definately cutting it close. Could they take delivery in LAX at the maintenance base and then just cancel the outbound on the 16th?

ClassicLover

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:13 pm

Here's the first review of the Qantas London Lounge. It opens tomorrow.

Yes, I wrote it and I know we're not supposed to link to our own blogs, but in this instance it's classified as news.

Plus, this site won't handle 1,200 words, 60 pictures and the videos.

https://travelupdate.boardingarea.com/qantas-london-lounge-heathrow/

Enjoy! (it took ages to write) :)
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

smi0006

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:13 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
Here's the first review of the Qantas London Lounge. It opens tomorrow.

Yes, I wrote it and I know we're not supposed to link to our own blogs, but in this instance it's classified as news.

Plus, this site won't handle 1,200 words, 60 pictures and the videos.

https://travelupdate.boardingarea.com/qantas-london-lounge-heathrow/

Enjoy! (it took ages to write) :)

Thank you so much for sharing! Great report really comprehensive!

Qantas has sure stepped up their lounge game recently and I hear MEL/SYD International will be done 2018.

Gin bar looks great, so much seating- will six showers be enough? How’s the lighting? Looks a bit harsh in some of the photos I’ve seen, so does LA, but equally lighting is hard to see appreciate in photos.

Thanks again for sharing! Looking forward to seeing the new Perth lounge next!!

planemanofnz

Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:00 am

NZ will upgrade ADL to a year-round 789 service, which will enhance NZ's competitiveness ex-ADL to North America.

See: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=11949753.

Does anyone know whether any North American carriers are looking at ADL, such as UA? Or would QF fly this route?

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:04 am

D7 is considering launching KUL - AVV services at some point in 2018, on the back of strong demand for its flights out of MEL.

See: https://blueswandaily.com/melbourne-ava ... e-horizon/.

If AVV does become an international airport, I wonder how long it will be before it sees trans-Tasman and other LHLC services.

Cheers,

C.

Qantas16

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:16 am

planemanofnz wrote:
D7 is considering launching KUL - AVV services at some point in 2018, on the back of strong demand for its flights out of MEL.

See: https://blueswandaily.com/melbourne-ava ... e-horizon/.

If AVV does become an international airport, I wonder how long it will be before it sees trans-Tasman and other LHLC services.

There is nothing in that article that provides any strong evidence D7 has intention of launching AVV. AVV continues to be a failure and is only supported by generous subsidies from local and state governments. 10 years ago they said they would get airlines like D7 and now here we are with only 5x daily to SYD, 1x daily to OOL and less than daily ADL and HBA. The airport does not warrant international services and the government should certainly not be subsidising international services here.

mariner

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:41 am

Qantas16 wrote:
There is nothing in that article that provides any strong evidence D7 has intention of launching AVV.

But the writer deserves a Walkley Award for turning what isn't even even a rumour, not even a whisper, into a full blown article about nothing very much at all.

What used to be called "a beat-up." Image

mariner
aeternum nauta

planemanofnz

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:49 am

Qantas16 wrote:
There is nothing in that article that provides any strong evidence D7 has intention of launching AVV.

I never said that there was 'strong evidence' - I merely said that, as per the article, D7 is supposedly considering AVV.

This would be consistent with the carrier expressing a consideration for other smaller Australian airports too, such as CBR.

Cheers,

C.

Qantas16

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:44 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

I never said that there was 'strong evidence' - I merely said that, as per the article, D7 is supposedly considering AVV.

This would be consistent with the carrier expressing a consideration for other smaller Australian airports too, such as CBR.

But yet the only smaller Australian airport D7 serves is OOL which was it's first destination. They have shown no actual evidence of wanting to expand to smaller Australian airports yet.

ClassicLover

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:00 am

smi0006 wrote:
Thank you so much for sharing! Great report really comprehensive!

Qantas has sure stepped up their lounge game recently and I hear MEL/SYD International will be done 2018.

Gin bar looks great, so much seating- will six showers be enough? How’s the lighting? Looks a bit harsh in some of the photos I’ve seen, so does LA, but equally lighting is hard to see appreciate in photos.

Thanks again for sharing! Looking forward to seeing the new Perth lounge next!!

I'm really glad you enjoyed it - thanks for the kind words. It makes the hours of writing worthwhile!

Nice to know Sydney and Melbourne will be done by 2018. They are certainly due for a refresh now to the new concept.

The gin bar is great and they have some excellent gins. I think six showers will be okay as it's not a transit point for very many people, which makes a lot of sense. If it were half way to Australia they may need more. The shower stalls look so nice, so I'd have a shower out of principal.

When it comes to the lighting, it's not nearly as harsh as it looks in some of the photos. I was actually struck by how much thought had gone into the lighting design - it looks pretty nice. It's definitely more muted than some of the photos suggest.

Looking forward to Perth myself, can't wait!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

planemanofnz

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:35 am

Qantas16 wrote:
They have shown no actual evidence of wanting to expand to smaller Australian airports yet.

Yes, D7 has shown evidence of considering the likes of CBR:

AirAsia X CEO Benyamin Ismail told CAPA on the sidelines of the 7-Nov-2017 CAPA Asia Aviation Summit that resuming Adelaide is a possibility along with launching Canberra or Cairns, which the AirAsia Group has never served.

See: https://blueswandaily.com/airasia-x-con ... nd-cairns/.

It might not be 'strong' evidence, but nonetheless, it is evidence.

Cheers,

C.

Qantas16

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:45 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Yes, D7 has shown evidence of considering the likes of CBR:

AirAsia X CEO Benyamin Ismail told CAPA on the sidelines of the 7-Nov-2017 CAPA Asia Aviation Summit that resuming Adelaide is a possibility along with launching Canberra or Cairns, which the AirAsia Group has never served.

See: https://blueswandaily.com/airasia-x-con ... nd-cairns/.

It might not be 'strong' evidence, but nonetheless, it is evidence.

From the same article you just posted - "However, for the time being AirAsia X is focusing on improving its performance on its existing Australia routes".

As much as I don't want to get side tracked on yet another one of your hypothetical route discussion topics... KUL-CNS should certainly be within the range of the A320Neo so is much more likely than CBR or AVV which are not (or are really pushing it so unlikely in the dense configuration Air Asia would have).

kriskim

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:40 am

It does not make sense to have operations at both MEL and AVV, it increases costs and that is something a LCC like D7 should steer away from.

In regards to PER, I could see D7 passing its flights to AK once the A321NEO's arrive, this would allow them to better compete with OD and MH with their own narrow bodies. The A320NEO family will bring alot of opportunities for the AirAsia group in Australia, I can see MEL/SYD-DPS reintroduced with the smaller planes.
A world built upon connectivity.

RyanairGuru

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:13 am

Does anyone know why there is a VN 787 at CBR? It's an odd sight!
Worked Hard, Flew Right

IndianicWorld

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:29 am

I agree that it makes next to no sense owning up AVV and might as well continue to grow frequency into MEL.

AVV was actually lined up as D7’s initial gateway into Victoria but the airport didn’t get the deal across the line. I seem to recall there were a few stumbling blocks gaining permission to allow for international operations at that airport.

It only really makes sense in a Bi-lateral restricted market (Australia-Qatar for instance), as I think that AVV is now considered a regional airport, which sits outside the standard SYD/MEL/BNE/PER grouping.

Realistically, there aren’t that many options out there for AVV. It seems to have hit its peak in many ways, which is largely only operating due to the subsides given to JQ to continue operations.

What’s a possibility?
- Cebu Pacific - low-cost flights would suit the airport and had been discussed as a possibility a couple of years back but more likely to go to MEL if they ever do start.
- China - maybe the best chance really, given the growth in the market. Hainan Airlines signed an MoU to start freighter and possibly passenger flights but that did not come to fruition.
- New Zealand - possible but hard to see a case for it at this stage. If there was an airline like Kiwi or Freedom Air back in the day it may have been looked at, but I don’t see JQ trying it.
- Qatar Airways - long, long shot but without expanding the bi-lateral they are now locked out of the big 4 markets in this country. AVV doesn’t really appear to suit them that well but it may be their only choice to expand frequency into Victoria in the medium term.

planemanofnz

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:58 am

Qantas16 wrote:
I don't want to get side tracked on yet another one of your hypothetical route discussion topics.

"Side tracked" from what, exactly? I do not see any topics here initiated by you, or comments from you here on other topics?

Qantas16 wrote:
KUL-CNS should certainly be within the range of the A320Neo so is much more likely than CBR or AVV which are not (or are really pushing it so unlikely in the dense configuration Air Asia would have).

The dense configuration of the 333 seems like too much plane for CBR - I wonder if a one-stop A320 via DPS, DRW (or elsewhere) would be more suitable.

Cheers,

C.

IndianicWorld

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:42 pm

Another thing to consider is that D7 has been a very confusing airline to read lately.

They seem to make statements which a few months later are dramatically different from the reality.

They have struggled to find the right balance to achieve sustainable growth on their Australian services, with a rollercoaster of decision making occurring.

It has scaled up, then down, then up and now said to be cutting PER, SYD and OOL frequencies (MEL may be increased). By then though, they may have changed their minds again, so it does bring up a few questions about how they are managing their operational costs on an ongoing basis, with such significant changes occurring relatively abruptly.

sq256

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:56 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
The dense configuration of the 333 seems like too much plane for CBR - I wonder if a one-stop A320 via DPS, DRW (or elsewhere) would be more suitable.

Cheers,

C.

If they flew AK's narrowbodies instead of using D7's 333s. AK wouldn't have the traffic rights if it's via an Australian port (Domestic Legs without cabotage might work for the likes of subsidised and/or cashed up carriers like QR to get around bilaterals).

In AK's case CBR would have to be either via DPS (Tourist Market to Capital) or POM (PNG Capital to OZ Capital flight)

EK413

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Surprised there is no mention of the QF, JQ, VA flight cancellations to DPS due to the airport closure? My wife & I are one of thousands stranded but lucky we decided to take a 13hr coach ride to SUB.

Authorities have announced they will be reopening the airport in Bali after it remained closed for a third consecutive day due to ash emitted from the erupting Mount Agung volcano.

The airport was set to reopen at 3pm local time (7am GMT) after staying closed into Wednesday morning.

A large plume of white and grey ash and smoke hovered above Agung as dawn broke.

Australia's Qantas Airways Ltd said it and budget arm Jetstar would run 16 flights to Australia on Thursday to ferry home 3,800 stranded customers.

https://www.google.co.id/amp/s/www.stan ... html%3famp

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos