kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 11/17 - China in our hands ...

Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:44 pm

Good evening folks! It's that time again - a new thread for a new month.

September went by at a glacial pace, but October ... wow! Over 300 posts and lots of interesting and positive developments (unless you were Ryanair!).

Here are some highlights:

- EI launches PHL, finalises lease of 8th A321N and has submitted business plan to increase A321N to 12, to IAG.
- Icelandair announces new DUB route, 6 w. Initially, 757s but no doubt 737Maxes in due course.
- SNN loses UA flight to ORD after 5yrs.
- ORK sees significant increase in LX flights for next Summer, rising to 3 wkly
- Collapse of Monarch; many leased acft heading over to SNN
- EI/DAA spat intensifying; talk of EI trying to buy T2 (!!) and rumblings that not all EI growth would be out of DUB.
- EI-DAA spat with Runway 16, during storm. Rwy lights damaged and acft had to return, ER to MIA.
- FR reeling over loss of pilots and poor handling of dispute. Airline has made offer of increased/improved terms. (Nothing equivalent for cabin crew)
- Despite cancellations, FR sees healthy increase in profits
- IAG sees 20% increase in operating profits for first 9 mos. EI contributing well to success.
- EI announces new product plan, with Aer Space prominent; talk of new t/a route being announced (after PHL). C Class on s/h, with A321Ns being used for EU flights (ok, and UK too!) between t/a flights. Plan to increase t/a capacity to 4.5m by 2020
- Hainan finally launches DUB service, twice weekly ... to Shenzhen!
- Hurricane Ophelia and Storm Brian cause troubles for airline operations.

Well, it's been an exciting month, so let's hope we round out the year with some more good news and more routes!

Over to you, my friends!

-
-

AmricanShamrok

Re: Irish 11/17 - China in our hands ...

Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:06 pm

Any SNN-based members know why Kuwait Airways doesn’t use US Preclearance at SNN? The 77W sits at the gate for 2hrs, 10mins each day which should be more than enough time to screen passengers and send them through USPC.Maybe it’s a financial thing - there is something like a €11 charge per passenger to use it.

SQ22

Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:34 pm

Link to previous thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1375151

iRISH251

Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:38 pm

Hainan has only applied for the rights for those flights so far, AFAIK. https://twitter.com/airlineroute/status ... 44?lang=en

Following on from the reference to the closure of Monarch, SNN has also already seen a good number of former Air Berlin aircraft arriving for storage and, no doubt, assignment in due course to new operators.

The commencement of the winter timetable has, as expected, seen KL B737s and AF A318/319 plus HOP! Embraer equipment appear on those respective carriers' Dublin services.

OA260

Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:02 pm

kaitak wrote:
Good evening folks! It's that time again - a new thread for a new month.

C Class on s/h, with A321Ns being used for EU flights

-

Looking forward to this :).

Hard to believe we are into the Winter timetable again. The year flew by ;).

ClassicLover

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:06 pm

kaitak wrote:
- EI/DAA spat intensifying; talk of EI trying to buy T2 (!!) and rumblings that not all EI growth would be out of DUB.
- EI-DAA spat with Runway 16, during storm. Rwy lights damaged and acft had to return, ER to MIA.

I see what you did there :)

kaitak wrote:
- EI announces new product plan, with Aer Space prominent; talk of new t/a route being announced (after PHL). C Class on s/h, with A321Ns being used for EU flights (ok, and UK too!) between t/a flights. Plan to increase t/a capacity to 4.5m by 2020

Considering how well off certain segments of Ireland is and how well business class seems to sell on Aer Lingus, it makes a whole lot of sense to have a premium product on short haul. Still waiting for Aer Space though...

It's really good to see EI doing so well. The naysayers about the IAG takeover have certainly had to eat crow in this case.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

RRTrent

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:32 am

iRISH251 wrote:
The commencement of the winter timetable has, as expected, seen KL B737s and AF A318/319 plus HOP! Embraer equipment appear on those respective carriers' Dublin services.

Don't forget AC mainline on the A333 also.

BrianDromey

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:04 am

iRISH251 wrote:
Following on from the reference to the closure of Monarch, SNN has also already seen a good number of former Air Berlin aircraft arriving for storage and, no doubt, assignment in due course to new operators.

How many are in SNN? No more than 10 are up for grabs by my reckoning. AB always had a pretty fluid fleet, with a fairly constant stream of arrivals and departures, so its difficult to be sure exactly whats going to happen, but airfleets lists 91 A320s with new operators - Eurowings features heavily, obviously. All the exAB A321s are with Niki, AFAIK - which will also become Eurowings by the end of the year. This leaves 35 listed as "stored" and we know that 25 of those will be for easyJet - presumably on the Austrian easyJet Europe licence, but I haven't seen that anywhere. In theory that leaves 10 A320s up for grabs - not so many!

The LH group has done well here. In a stroke they have acquired around 50 A32x/DH8, in addition to the 43 aircraft they were already wet leasing, locked Austria down, boosted the size and scale of Eurowings and wiped oneworld out of central Europe. The price of this? 25 A320s and Berlin for easyJet - somewhere LH had very little presence and an operational uncertainty with the BER situation. AB desperately wanted to build a hub in BER, but the fiasco that is BER thwarted many of their opportunities. I wonder what AB would look like now if BER had opened close to schedule - a lot like EI, I imagine.

SURFER

Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:02 am

I counted 22 aircraft in storage in SNN yesterday evening. The majority were Air Berlin and Monarch with an Ifly 757 and Eurowings A320 thrown into the mix. 1 Monarch A320 GOZBX departed to Birmingham yesterday evening. Apparently there are more AB’s to come.
I think Kuwait don’t clear in Shannon because of the cost and also it’s down to the hours of operation with the departure to JFK being outside the opening times.
SNN has been doing very well cargo business wise over the last month with all the 747 movements to transport the Coke syrup to the U.S. after the plants were badly damaged in Puerto Rico and Mexico. It’s good adhoc business to get this time of year going into the winter period.

eirflot

Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:45 pm

Any chance of some photos of the parked aircraft in SNN?
Have fond memories of SNN and the Aer Lingus 747's
Ahh..............the good old days!!!!

JAmie2k9

Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:57 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
Any SNN-based members know why Kuwait Airways doesn’t use US Preclearance at SNN? The 77W sits at the gate for 2hrs, 10mins each day which should be more than enough time to screen passengers and send them through USPC.Maybe it’s a financial thing - there is something like a €11 charge per passenger to use it.

If not financial then likely staffing levels.

OA260

Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:48 am

New Ryanair Service From Dublin To Naples

Dublin Airport is delighted to welcome Ryanair’s new twice weekly year-round service to Naples.

Naples is the first of three new routes being launched by Ryanair this winter, the airline will also launch a new year-round double daily service to Munich and a daily service to Stuttgart in the coming weeks.

“We are delighted to see Ryanair expand its services further from Dublin Airport providing greater choice and flexibility for customers. Naples is a beautiful city steeped in culture and I have no doubt it will be a popular choice for passengers over the winter months,” said Dublin Airport Managing Director Vincent Harrison.

“We will work closely with Ryanair to help promote these new services and look forward to celebrating new summer services to Paphos in Cyrus and Marrakech in Morocco in 2018,” he added.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-ne ... -to-naples

---
Almost 3,000 pilots apply for 100 Aer Lingus jobs

Pilots from Monarch and Air Berlin respond to Irish recruitment call

Thousands of pilots from around Europe, many from troubled carriers such as Monarch Airlines and Air Berlin, have applied for 100 jobs at Aer Lingus.
The Irish airline announced several weeks ago that it intends to hire 200 pilots over the next three years; it advertised the first 100 positions in October, and by the closing date, on Tuesday this week, almost 3,000 experienced pilots are understood to have applied.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tra ... -1.3276935

---

CORK AIRPORT: Aer Lingus Regional announces Summer 2018 schedule

Third successive year of growth for Aer Lingus Regional in Cork Airport
Increased frequencies with 275,000 seats to nine destinations

Aer Lingus Regional operated by Stobart Air intends to continue the success of last summer’s operations from Cork Airport next year with increased frequencies, expansions and enhanced scheduling.
Across nine routes in the UK and France, Aer Lingus Regional will offer over 275,000 seats and 3,800 flights during Summer 2018.

https://www.thecork.ie/2017/11/01/cork- ... -schedule/

OA260

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:29 pm

An Aer Lingus flight from Cork to London Heathrow was forced to turn back shortly into its journey after smoke was seen in the cockpit.

The flight had been due to depart at 11.50am but was delayed until 12.46pm.

Shortly into the flight, the alarm was raised, and it turned back, landing safely at Cork Airport at 13.23pm.

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2017/11 ... rk-flight/

Skyblue39

Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:15 pm

Au revoir to Rouge as Air Canada returns to Dublin-Toronto route with three-class service.

Air Canada has returned to the Dublin to Toronto Pearson route, switching back from the Air Canada Rouge offering. Air Canada flight AC843, operated by a 292-seat Airbus A330-300, is offering a three-cabin service: Economy, Premium Economy and International Business Class. Features include fully lie-flat suites in International Business Class, a Premium Economy cabin with more personal space and enhanced service and seatback in-flight entertainment throughout the aircraft.

Air Canada Concierge is now also available at Dublin Airport, offering a premium personalised service for International Business Class customers.
The company said agents are on hand to assist with all day-of-travel and airport matters, including ticketing, connections, baggage handling and special in-flight meal requirements.

Air Canada Concierge is also an immediate resource for personal and leisure needs, including hotel and restaurant bookings, theatre ticket reservations and limousine service. Air Canada will offer up to five flights a week from Dublin to Toronto this winter and a daily service for summer 2018.

It announced in September that it will be offering new non-stop flights from Shannon to Toronto and between Dublin and Montreal from June 2018. The flights will be operated using its newest single-aisle aircraft, the Boeing 737 Max 8, featuring a Business and Economy cabin configuration.

Source:
http://www.travelextra.ie/au-revoir-rou ... s-service/

shamrock350

Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:14 am

More on the Aer Lingus emergency landing at Cork...

http://avherald.com/h?article=4b080e93&opt=0

It appears passengers seated in the over wing exits decided to evacuate themselves! Pure stupidity in my opinion, I understand fear and panic being a factor for passengers but if it was safe enough for the aircraft to taxi to a stand and there was no evacuation order given, there really is no excuse for someone to open the over wing exits and initiate their own evacuation.

The aircraft was EI-GAL, the former Aeroflot bird, delivered new in 2009.

Skyblue39 wrote:

Nice to see Kelvin from BBC's Airport is still around! Hasn't aged a day either!

eirflot

Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:57 pm

I see SWISS have added Kiev to the summer schedule 2018 - can't remember if its third or fourth time lucky!! Now if only we had an early morning departure from SWISS at Dublin - I know wishful thinking!!

Just wanted to move the profile back up the forum :bouncy:

OA260

Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:19 pm

Aer Lingus lounge opens at 0415 now instead of 0515. I was glad of it this morning on my 0600 flight.

LH982

Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:43 pm

Understand there's two AF A380s on the ground in SNN this evening

SURFER

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:02 pm

LH982 wrote:
Understand there's two AF A380s on the ground in SNN this evening

One diverted in this afternoon with a medical emergency and the second is to take the passengers onward to Mexico City.
The first aircraft dumped fuel on the runway on arrival due to what seems to be a faulty dump valve so is remaining overnight in SNN.

Skyblue39

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:45 pm

Just heard that Seattle is going to be the next Aer Lingus destination from Dublin. (overheard EI crew members say it in the cabin tonight). Anybody else hear anything?

shamrock350

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:35 pm

Some information on Aer Lingus from IAG's market day, long haul fleet plan seems the most interesting.

No more A330s planned according to this but none leaving and some major growth expected in 2019 with four A321LR's joining and no 757s leaving until a year later. All the 757s will be gone by 2020 and up to 12 A321LR's in the fleet by 2021! With this fleet plan I think the A350 could still be possible come the middle of the next decade, it definitely appears to me that they're waiting for the network to mature enough to a point where A350s are sustainable on the majority of current A330 routes.

On short haul, this was said:

"Low single digit ASK growth–resourced through asset utilisation, load factor targeted before increased investment in fleet assets"

Looks like they have internal or IAG set targets before the fleet is invested substantially in again. Meanwhile the other IAG carriers will start receiving both the A320neo and A350 from next year, go figure.

Skyblue39 wrote:
Just heard that Seattle is going to be the next Aer Lingus destination from Dublin. (overheard EI crew members say it in the cabin tonight). Anybody else hear anything?

It's been rumoured on another forum as well. Nothing appears concrete but the PHL announcement was referred to as "phase one" and that they hoped to be back shortly with a second announcement. With no more A330s due they'll need do some rejigging of the schedule to make it possible.

shamrock321

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:42 pm

I'm not saying it's not going to be Seattle, but don't believe everything you here in a cabin full of cabin crew, it's my profession and I can confirm 90% of what's spoken is crap and crew certainly aren't who these thing she leaked to! #crewmour

eidvm

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:44 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Skyblue39 wrote:

It's been rumoured on another forum as well. Nothing appears concrete but the PHL announcement was referred to as "phase one" and that they hoped to be back shortly with a second announcement. With no more A330s due they'll need do some rejigging of the schedule to make it possible.

Rumour on the grape vine is of an additional A330 coming in addition to the arrival of EI-GCF in December(March 2018) to operate the SEA route.

abrelosojos

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:51 pm

Exotic 5th freedom routes await via Mid East airlines ...

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

ClassicLover

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:54 pm

shamrock321 wrote:
I'm not saying it's not going to be Seattle, but don't believe everything you here in a cabin full of cabin crew, it's my profession and I can confirm 90% of what's spoken is crap and crew certainly aren't who these thing she leaked to! #crewmour

Yep, Galley FM in true swing! We shall see in due course...
shamrock350 wrote:
All the 757s will be gone by 2020

On short haul, this was said:

"Low single digit ASK growth–resourced through asset utilisation, load factor targeted before increased investment in fleet assets"

Well, the 757s will leave in 2020 more like it. They'll be gone by 2021 according to the slide. Gives me a few more years to get myself on one across the Atlantic for the craic :)

For the short haul fleet, I interpret that as "we are not buying any more aircraft and we will want to see the European network paying for itself a bit better before we make more purchases."

Interesting slide!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

OA260

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:46 am

eidvm wrote:

Rumour on the grape vine is of an additional A330 coming in addition to the arrival of EI-GCF in December(March 2018) to operate the SEA route.

They will need it if they intend to carry out all the rumoured routes.Would not rule out a few more on lease.

alancostello

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:31 am

shamrock350 wrote:
Some information on Aer Lingus from IAG's market day, long haul fleet plan seems the most interesting.

No more A330s planned according to this but none leaving and some major growth expected in 2019 with four A321LR's joining and no 757s leaving until a year later. All the 757s will be gone by 2020 and up to 12 A321LR's in the fleet by 2021! With this fleet plan I think the A350 could still be possible come the middle of the next decade, it definitely appears to me that they're waiting for the network to mature enough to a point where A350s are sustainable on the majority of current A330 routes.

In regards to no further A330s, I don’t know if I’m convinced. I assume that they wouldn’t make any order announcements via market day, only show plans for existing orders. Otherwise they won’t be able to launch any more new routes for two years?

BrianDromey

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:31 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Looks like they have internal or IAG set targets before the fleet is invested substantially in again. Meanwhile the other IAG carriers will start receiving both the A320neo and A350 from next year, go figure.

As I have said before, the A350 really doesn't add a lot to the EI party, its supremely capable from a payload/range point of view, but it doesn't add much cabin space over the A333. The A333 (and A339) are more than capable of taking a full load to the west coast from DUB. EI don't seem to have any short-term interest in Asia, so the A350 adds cost, but not a lot of revenue opportunity. I don't think EI will get the A350 before they add the likes of KUL/SIN/BKK - and not before R2 is built.

My guess is that IAG have re-allocated some A330 options to LEVEL to compete with Norwegian, so EI have lost out there. In the long term the east-coast routes could be rejigged to operated by A321LR, as they come on-line to release A330s for the likes of SEA/LAS, etc. Some will probably come along and say IB have done well out of EI's options.

JAmie2k9

Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:09 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

As I have said before, the A350 really doesn't add a lot to the EI party, its supremely capable from a payload/range point of view, but it doesn't add much cabin space over the A333. The A333 (and A339) are more than capable of taking a full load to the west coast from DUB. EI don't seem to have any short-term interest in Asia, so the A350 adds cost, but not a lot of revenue opportunity. I don't think EI will get the A350 before they add the likes of KUL/SIN/BKK - and not before R2 is built.

My guess is that IAG have re-allocated some A330 options to LEVEL to compete with Norwegian, so EI have lost out there. In the long term the east-coast routes could be rejigged to operated by A321LR, as they come on-line to release A330s for the likes of SEA/LAS, etc. Some will probably come along and say IB have done well out of EI's options.

20% cost per seat on the A350 over existing A333.

I would expect EI to get additional A330 over the next few years. You can't just for example remove them off core routes like JFK/BOS and replace with x 3 daily A321.

Do IAG even have an options left?

BrianDromey

Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:09 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:
20% cost per seat on the A350 over existing A333.

I would expect EI to get additional A330 over the next few years. You can't just for example remove them off core routes like JFK/BOS and replace with x 3 daily A321.

Do IAG even have an options left?

That 20% figure is not across the entire payload/rang though. It is a best case scenario of the delta between the A350 and A333 - AFIK the A333 is cost comparable on a per-seat basis with the 787/350 to the east coast, the A350 probably edges it to the west coast, but would be clearly superior on the likes of DUB-SIN. If EI want to increase capacity on routes beyond the range of the A321LR something will have to be cut - based on the current public plan.
The IAG strategy seems to be based on high frequency, low risk routes and aircraft with low capital acquisition costs, across the entire group. Although IB are getting A350s to replace A340s, BA are extending the lives of their 747s, 772s and getting more end-of-the-line 77Ws. The 787 and 35J fleets at BA are relatively small, in comparison.

I dont think there are any current A330 options, but the results statement suggests that "opportunistic" fleet additions may be made.

Skyblue39

Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:32 pm

Norwegian will introduce 737 Max 8 on one of the rotations from HEL to DUB:

Helsinki – Dublin eff 19JAN18 1 weekly (Day 5)

Source: http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/

mast2407

Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:30 am

How do! First time poster, but long (looooooooong) time lurker! Micheal is my name. Good forum for Irish aviation, credit to ye lads!

Great also to see growth in Irish aviation, with what we can only hope (and certainly imagine!) more on the way!

I’ve e got one question regarding EI operations, according to http://www.thelingussource.com , there have been cancellations where the outbound flight (generally to the USA) operates but the return leg doesn’t operate, however the aircraft positions back to base regardless. This is one such example: http://www.thelingussource.com/2017/10/ ... cellation/ .

I guess the question here is first of all, is it real, or possibly a mistake by the website, and then if it is real, what’s the reasoning behind it?

Peace!

OA260

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:12 am

Some Ryanair pilots have claimed that management is unilaterally designating some normal rest days as annual leave days between now and the end of the year - though management categorically rejected claims that it did not have enough pilots.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1103/917332-ryanair/

—-

Mayo brothers' plan for new terminal at Dublin Airport is resurrected – report

TRICAP Investments, a Dubai finance group, is advancing up to €35 million to resurrect Mayo brothers Ulick and Des McEvaddy’s proposed Terminal 3 project at Dublin airport, according to The Sunday Times.

The report stated Tricap has refinanced loans secured on three tracts of lands at the airport, some previously held in Nama, and will lend up to €4 million in working capital to advance the project.

The report continued: “The land comprises a total of 128 acres at Huntstown and Dunbro Lane, and was previously held by companies owned by the McEvaddys, the Monks family and Gerry Gannon.

“It is understood that Gannon no longer has an interest in the lands.

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundu ... d--report/

kaitak
Topic Author

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:20 am

mast2407 wrote:
How do! First time poster, but long (looooooooong) time lurker! Micheal is my name. Good forum for Irish aviation, credit to ye lads!

Great also to see growth in Irish aviation, with what we can only hope (and certainly imagine!) more on the way!

I’ve e got one question regarding EI operations, according to http://www.thelingussource.com , there have been cancellations where the outbound flight (generally to the USA) operates but the return leg doesn’t operate, however the aircraft positions back to base regardless. This is one such example: http://www.thelingussource.com/2017/10/ ... cellation/ .

I guess the question here is first of all, is it real, or possibly a mistake by the website, and then if it is real, what’s the reasoning behind it?

Peace!

You're very welcome, Michael; hope you'll enjoy being an active part of the Irish contingent on A.net!

As to your question, I really don't know; it may be a mistake, but I'm sure some EI insiders would know better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to the A330 fleet, wouldn't the addition of further narrowbodies release some A330s to operate new flights?

There has also been talk of ex-QR aircraft being acquired, as QR adds more 350s and 787s. QR acft would suit EI very well, being GE powered and already equipped for IFE and wifi. The figure of eight only refers to the total, so possibly allows EI to replace some of the 332s with 333s.

The main concern I have about staying with not moving to a larger aircraft is that it limits growth of the hub operation; if the point to point LFs were very high and then, you add connecting pax, won't that mean that capacity growth is very limited and there's a danger that the capacity simply won't be there to allow the connecting traffic to grow?

CarbHeatIn

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:19 pm

mast2407 wrote:

Peace!

EI operates across the pond with minimum cabin crew so if one gets sick and can’t operate home the flight has to be cancelled but can still operate home empty.

Skyblue39

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:10 pm

2.6M Pax in DUB in October, up 4% on October 2016. Busiest October in the airport's history.
So far, 25.3M pax have travelled through DUB, a 6% increase on last year.

The number of passengers flying to and from continental Europe increased by 5%, as more than 1.3 million passengers travelled to and from continental European destinations in October.

Almost 841,000 passengers travelled to and from UK destinations last month, a 2% decrease when compared to October last year.

Transatlantic traffic to North America increased by 14%, with more than 333,000 passengers travelling on this route sector last month.

The number of passengers travelling to other international destinations in the Middle East and North Africa increased by 16%, with over 69,000 passengers flying to these routes in October.

Almost 8,000 passengers travelled on domestic routes last month, which was a 6% increase over the same month last year.

Source: https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-ne ... er-numbers

(Looks like we will be just shy of 30M this year)

AmricanShamrok

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:10 pm

I'm just back from a week in the States having flown transatlantic with EI for the first time in five years and I have some observations, if I might be so bold. The trip was booked routing KIR-DUB-ORD and JFK-BOS-SNN with operating partners RE, B6 and AG. On this occasion, EI was the most competitively priced for my travel needs. All flights were full barring KIR-DUB which had about 30 passengers.

- I note some inconsistencies between Irish immigration staff at DUB and SNN; DUB staff are uniformed now and passport checks are carried out by the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS). Not sure if it's still the Gardaí doing the checks at SNN but they are plain clothes officers.

- The US preclearance gates (401 to 406) at DUB could do with a bit more space - I know it's a busy travel time of the year with school mid term last week but it was nose-to-armpit there with five or six US bound flights departing within a relatively short space of time. Many people had to stand while waiting for boarding to be called.

- The AF A380 was still parked remotely at SNN yesterday morning - I'd be interested to see how they boarded passengers on the alternative aircraft flown in as I don't think the A380 can be accommodated at the contact stands at SNN.

- The EI/B6 connection process at both BOS and JFK is seamless with EI using B6 gates at both airports. If EI could relocate to a domestic terminal at ORD (T1 for UA or if EI joint Oneworld, T3 for AA) it would negate the need for DUB-originating passengers to change terminals and reclear security. Gate space is an issue at ORD though, especially the availability of wide body stands at domestic terminals at peak times.

OA260

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:26 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
I'm just back from a week in the States having flown transatlantic with EI for the first time in five years and I have some observations, if I might be so bold. The trip was booked routing KIR-DUB-ORD and JFK-BOS-SNN with operating partners RE, B6 and AG. On this occasion, EI was the most competitively priced for my travel needs. All flights were full barring KIR-DUB which had about 30 passengers.

- I note some inconsistencies between Irish immigration staff at DUB and SNN; DUB staff are uniformed now and passport checks are carried out by the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS). Not sure if it's still the Gardaí doing the checks at SNN but they are plain clothes officers.

- The US preclearance gates (401 to 406) at DUB could do with a bit more space - I know it's a busy travel time of the year with school mid term last week but it was nose-to-armpit there with five or six US bound flights departing within a relatively short space of time. Many people had to stand while waiting for boarding to be called.

- The AF A380 was still parked remotely at SNN yesterday morning - I'd be interested to see how they boarded passengers on the alternative aircraft flown in as I don't think the A380 can be accommodated at the contact stands at SNN.

- The EI/B6 connection process at both BOS and JFK is seamless with EI using B6 gates at both airports. If EI could relocate to a domestic terminal at ORD (T1 for UA or if EI joint Oneworld, T3 for AA) it would negate the need for DUB-originating passengers to change terminals and reclear security. Gate space is an issue at ORD though, especially the availability of wide body stands at domestic terminals at peak times.

What did you think of B6? Im flying them for the first time in a few weeks .

ei2ksea

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:43 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:

I've been longing for this route ever since I chose my handle years ago! Im currently about to move to Seattle from Boston so the timing (if true) would be especially welcome.
Next Flight: EWR-SEA (AS), SEA-EWR (UA), EWR-SEA-EWR (UA)

aerlingusa330

Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:49 pm

OA260 wrote:

B6 is absolutely fantastic. They're among the top of US carriers for comfort, ease, and customer service. Free wi-fi (Fly-Fi) and many live TV channels (also free) is a big bonus. Seat pitch is generous and the crews are typically very upbeat. It's a good corporate culture and it's reflected in the employees. I can't recommend B6 enough and, as I live here in the US, fly them anytime I can.
Shamrock 136 heavy cleared for takeoff runway niner.

OA260

Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:49 pm

aerlingusa330 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

B6 is absolutely fantastic. They're among the top of US carriers for comfort, ease, and customer service. Free wi-fi (Fly-Fi) and many live TV channels (also free) is a big bonus. Seat pitch is generous and the crews are typically very upbeat. It's a good corporate culture and it's reflected in the employees. I can't recommend B6 enough and, as I live here in the US, fly them anytime I can.

Thanks for the feedback Ive opted for EMS too so looking forward to it.Will be interesting if they ever look at services to Ireland. Their Mint product might do well if priced correctly.
Last edited by OA260 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mast2407

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:33 pm

CarbHeatIn wrote:
mast2407 wrote:

Peace!

EI operates across the pond with minimum cabin crew so if one gets sick and can’t operate home the flight has to be cancelled but can still operate home empty.

Aah, that explains things! Thank you!

SURFER

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:32 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:

Stands 42 and 23 can accomodate the A380. They offloaded the passengers off the diverted aircraft at stand 42 then pushed it back to taxiway 11. When the replacement aircraft arrived it parked on 42, loaded pax and bags then got on its way to Mexico City.

AmricanShamrok

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:41 am

OA260 wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

B6 is by far the best shorthaul airline I've experienced. The first thing you notice is the increased legroom available at all economy seats. I believe it is also the only airline to offer free gate-to-gate Wi-Fi for all passengers. They have a generous free snacks/soft drinks offering too. This was my second flight with them, I flew MCO-IAD a few years back and was equally impressed.

AmricanShamrok

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:43 am

SURFER wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

Stands 42 and 23 can accomodate the A380. They offloaded the passengers off the diverted aircraft at stand 42 then pushed it back to taxiway 11. When the replacement aircraft arrived it parked on 42, loaded pax and bags then got on its way to Mexico City.

Thanks for the info. Did they use the airbridge or stairs (or both) for boarding? I'd imagine boarding a full A380 with just one airbridge is fairly tedious!

dstc47

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:48 am

" The US preclearance gates (401 to 406) at DUB could do with a bit more space - I know it's a busy travel time of the year with school mid term last week but it was nose-to-armpit there with five or six US bound flights departing within a relatively short space of time. Many people had to stand while waiting for boarding to be called."

Pretty well the usual scene at DUB in my experience during this summer.
All those extra transatlantic passengers have to go somewhere.

SURFER

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:22 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:
SURFER wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

- I note some inconsistencies between Irish immigration staff at DUB and SNN; DUB staff are uniformed now and passport checks are carried out by the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS). Not sure if it's still the Gardaí doing the kchecks at SNN but they are plain clothes officers.

Thanks for the info. Did they use the airbridge or stairs (or both) for boarding? I'd imagine boarding a full A380 with just one airbridge is fairly tedious!

As far as I know it was with a single air bridge.

OA260

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:29 am

Ryanair hopes long-haul deal with Aer Lingus will start in 2018
Web Summit: Integrated system will enable customers to buy tickets from rival

Ryanair hopes to start feeding passengers onto Aer Lingus from early 2018, its chief marketing officer Kenny Jacobs has said.

Speaking at a press conference at the Web Summit in Lisbon, Mr Jacobs said the airline had hoped to introduce an integrated system enabling customers to buy long haul tickets with its rival earlier this year.

However, he added the airline now anticipates this starting with the first half of 2018.

Mr Jacobs said the airline hoped to be able to offer flights from other carriers in the IAG stable and said it was happy to work with any airline

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tra ... 7?mode=amp

VFRonTop

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:55 am

kaitak wrote:
The main concern I have about staying with not moving to a larger aircraft is that it limits growth of the hub operation; if the point to point LFs were very high and then, you add connecting pax, won't that mean that capacity growth is very limited and there's a danger that the capacity simply won't be there to allow the connecting traffic to grow?

It's a tricky balancing act that EI need to play.

Increasing the narrow body fleet to serve secondary East Coast destinations is a potential strategy, though the number of non-served destinations is shrinking rapidly with WOW and Icelandair's rapid US expansion. Equally, the use of narrow bodies will allow for more frequencies to core/business heavy routes (NYC, BOS, ORD) allowing for better banking of flights to aid the hub, but conversely increases operation costs without an an associated uplift in capacity.

Increase to the widebody fleet allows for true passenger growth into all of North America not just the East Coast but risks affecting yields. Eventually EI will need to look east and I expect BKK to be high on the list.

Galwayman

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:20 pm

EI is going to need a winter route strategy for the growing numbers of A330s - hopefully modelled on the BA Gatwick approach , Cancun, Cape Town , Barbados ..... Jan to March ... one can dream

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos