Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SFOtoORD

Re: United's future at Dulles

Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:27 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
Not that I think UA is closing the hub but actions speak louder than words: the Dulles hub can't even hold a single PDX flight year-round with no competition.

So a 2300 mile flight to the 25th largest US market is the sole determiner of IAD’s hub status? Hmm. Got it.

phluser

Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:50 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:
Not that I think UA is closing the hub but actions speak louder than words: the Dulles hub can't even hold a single PDX flight year-round with no competition.

So a 2300 mile flight to the 25th largest US market is the sole determiner of IAD’s hub status? Hmm. Got it.

And he's wrong anyways. AS has a year round PDX-DCA flight, which would be competition. PHL another east coast hub lacks year round PDX service as well.

izbtmnhd

Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:52 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

Oh please. How many stats do have to I have throw out to show IAD domestic issues? PDX is a perimeter rule city with a metro of over 2 million to a metro of 6 million so it should be able to support a daily flight year round if the IAD hub is as robust domestically as some people want to argue.
Last edited by izbtmnhd on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

izbtmnhd

Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:54 pm

phluser wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

And he's wrong anyways. AS has a year round PDX-DCA flight, which would be competition. PHL another east coast hub lacks year round PDX service as well.

I know there's DCA-PDX. I was talking straight up from IAD. PHL is the smallest East Coast market out of the big four (BOS, NYC, PHL, WAS) so that makes sense.
Last edited by izbtmnhd on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blockski

Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:56 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

Oh please. How many stats do have to I have throw out to show IAD domestic issues? PDX is a perimeter rule city with a metro of over 2 million to metro of 6 million it should be able to support a daily flight year round if IAD is as robust domestically as some people want to argue.

You can stop setting up the strawman arguments. Nobody is arguing Dulles is 'robust domestically.' What they're saying is that Dulles has potential to grow. If the airport can control costs. If United is interested in focusing growth there; If United wants to compete against the other WAS airports.

izbtmnhd

Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:59 pm

blockski wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

Oh please. How many stats do have to I have throw out to show IAD domestic issues? PDX is a perimeter rule city with a metro of over 2 million to metro of 6 million it should be able to support a daily flight year round if IAD is as robust domestically as some people want to argue.

You can stop setting up the strawman arguments. Nobody is arguing Dulles is 'robust domestically.' What they're saying is that Dulles has potential to grow. If the airport can control costs. If United is interested in focusing growth there; If United wants to compete against the other WAS airports.

This thread is the ultimate strawman argument. There's no evidence that IAD has this future potential at least not in the foreseeable future. How much data has to be presented to show this is the case?

Polot

Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:07 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
phluser wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

I know there's DCA-PDX. I was talking straight up from IAD. PHL is the smallest East Coast market out of the big four (BOS, NYC, PHL, WAS) so that makes sense.

You can't ignore DCA-PDX when talking about the viability of IAD-PDX year round. It doesn't matter that PDX is out of DCA's perimeter, AS has a perimeter exemption slot that allows them to operate the route from DCA year round. As DCA is the preferred airport in the region the higher yielding traffic will naturally gravitate towards AS's flight than any flight from IAD. DCA and IAD are competing for many of the same passengers.

izbtmnhd

Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:26 pm

Polot wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:
phluser wrote:

You can't ignore DCA-PDX when talking about the viability of IAD-PDX year round. It doesn't matter that PDX is out of DCA's perimeter, AS has a perimeter exemption slot that allows them to operate from DCA year round. As DCA is the preferred airport in the region the higher yielding traffic will naturally gravitate towards AS's flight than any flight from IAD. DCA and IAD are competing for many of the same passengers.

Wait, I thought IAD was a strong enough market on it's own with the fast growing Northern Virginia tech corridor and the UA hub? It's a perimeter route Kirby was talking about, no?

OK, fine, I'll say PDX was my bad just to put that argument to bed. The domestic problem for IAD still exists.

Polot

Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:41 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
Polot wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

You can't ignore DCA-PDX when talking about the viability of IAD-PDX year round. It doesn't matter that PDX is out of DCA's perimeter, AS has a perimeter exemption slot that allows them to operate from DCA year round. As DCA is the preferred airport in the region the higher yielding traffic will naturally gravitate towards AS's flight than any flight from IAD. DCA and IAD are competing for many of the same passengers.

Wait, I thought IAD was a strong enough market on it's own with the fast growing Northern Virginia tech corridor and the UA hub? It's a perimeter route Kirby was talking about, no?

OK, fine, I'll say PDX was my bad just to put that argument to bed. The domestic problem for IAD still exists.

Kirby said routes outside the perimeter do great (apparently, I wasn't there nor do I work for UA). What he meant was routes that don't have DCA competition do great. PDX is out of perimeter but still has DCA competition.

izbtmnhd

Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:42 pm

Polot wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:
Polot wrote:

Kirby said routes outside the perimeter do great (apparently, I wasn't there nor do I work for UA). What he meant was routes that don't have DCA competition do great. PDX is out of perimeter but still has DCA competition.

I meant outside the perimeter. Foruming and working don't mix. :D

SFOtoORD

Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:28 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
blockski wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

This thread is the ultimate strawman argument. There's no evidence that IAD has this future potential at least not in the foreseeable future. How much data has to be presented to show this is the case?

So the last 30+ years of sustained service for UA at IAD is not indicator of future service and yet this one flight to PDX is a precise indicator? Your argument is exceptionally weak. Feel free to provide some actual data points if you’re looking for actual consideration of your point.

ITB

Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:45 am

Let's take a look at some currents stats.

Air traffic at Dulles for domestic was up 4.9% through July 2017 compared to July 2016. International was up 5.6% for the same time frame.

Source: http://www.mwaa.com/sites/default/files ... report.pdf

Very substantial residential development is continuing in the Northern Virginia counties of Loudoun, Prince William and Fairfax, the principal catchment basin for IAD. It is only a matter of time before this growing population base begins to generate increased domestic flying. Moreover, there is a lot of wealth in these counties. Loudoun County is deemed the "richest" in the United States by the Census Bureau, with Fairfax close behind in third place. Another Northern Virginia locale, the city of Falls Church, located almost directly between DCA and IAD, is second.

Source: https://wtop.com/loudoun-county/2017/07 ... us-bureau/

Tables—Population Growth, 1980–2010

Loudoun
1980 57,427
1990 86,129
2000 169,599
2010 312,311

Prince William County
1980 144,636
1990 215,686
2000 280,813
2010 402,002

Fairfax County
1980 596,901
1990 818,584
2000 969,749
2010 1,081,726

Other rapidly growing counties in Northern Virginia that can be included in the IAD catchment basin include Stafford, Spotsylvania, and Fauquier. And they're sprouting new houses fast. The population of the District of Columbia is steadily growing as well, after years of decline. These new residents in the District are, for the most part, well educated and very well compensated. That usually equates to substantial disposable incomes, a metric very much valued in the airline industry, as it often translates to "frequent flyer."

To be sure, the vast majority of District residents favor DCA over IAD for domestic flying, but a good number will make their way out to IAD to travel internationally if the fare is right. IAD is only 25 miles from downtown DC; it really isn't all that far. Whether by Interstate 66 or the GW Parkway, it's a smooth transition to the toll-free Dulles Access Road, which is a straight, non-congested shot to the airport.

To get an idea what's happening in Northern Virginia development-wise, utilize Street View in Google Maps and visit, oh, let's say, Reston Town Center. Thirty years ago there was no Reston Town Center. Nada. Take a moment to view Loudoun County via the Google Maps satellite image; click off 3D in the menu to get the most recent image. Since 2010, approximately 3000 new units of housing have been approved and built each year in Loudoun. Most are SFD (Single Family Detached), which means families. By 2025, Loudoun's population may be close to 500,000.

Source: https://www.loudoun.gov/index.aspx?NID=3246

The city of Tysons is booming right now, too. Tremendous residential development is underway. And, yes, the switch to Tysons from Tyson's Corner become official last year. When the Silver Line completes in 2020 it will be a short, rapid ride from Tysons to IAD. Arlington County and the city of Alexandria, likewise, are experiencing extensive residential development. Ever hear of Potomac Yard? The more development there is in Northern Virginia, the District, and the close-in Maryland suburbs, the more IAD benefits, even if only tangentially.

Take a minute and check out:
https://intysons.com/
https://www.alexandriava.gov/PotomacYard

UA has a fortress hub at IAD, with the airline maintaining a market share in recent years between 60 and 64%. With the substantial residential grow continuing in the IAD catchment basin, it would be an exceedingly shortsighted move—stupid really—to downsize operations, either now or in the near future. In fact, UA might find IAD to be of tremendous value if CPE can be reduced further to $12 or 15. When that happens, Dulles will be better able to compete with DCA and BWI fare wise. Everything, of course, is not all roses. IAD faces cost challenges, a new C/D terminal is sorely needed. But the future is bright for UA and IAD if they play their cards right.

ctrabs0114

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:32 pm

blockski wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
My one dream (that will never happen) is for AA to develop a minor O&D hublet at IAD-maybe operating IAD-SEA/LHR/MAD/NRT/DUB/CDG.

I mean, with their JV partners, some of these already exist. BA flies IAD-LHR; Aer Lingus already flies DUB-IAD; they could be part of the JV soon. IB would be a strong candidate to add service to IAD from MAD; I suppose JL could also do so from NRT.

JV partners notwithstanding, would AA be willing to shift some of their slots to IAD from DCA, where they're the #1 carrier in market share (nearly 3x as large as WN and DL) in order to add a fourth hub in the Northeast Corridor alongside PHL, LGA and JFK?
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

AAvgeek744

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:38 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

Oh please. How many stats do have to I have throw out to show IAD domestic issues? PDX is a perimeter rule city with a metro of over 2 million to a metro of 6 million so it should be able to support a daily flight year round if the IAD hub is as robust domestically as some people want to argue.

If you look at PDX as well as SEA, you will see that there are a lot of seasonal flights that do not operate in the winter. It's has nothing to do with IAD as a viable hub.

ITB

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:39 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

If you look at PDX as well as SEA, you will see that there are a lot of seasonal flights that do not operate in the winter. It's has nothing to do with IAD as a viable hub.

WN and AS operate PDX-BWI seasonally, as does AA with PDX-PHL. MKE is flown seasonally, as well, by AS. It should be noted, too, there is no PDX direct service to IND, CMH, MIA, BNA, and LGA.

Both the Portland and Northern Virginia metropolitan regions are growing steadily. It may not be long before UA extends IAD-PDX year round. AS might also jump in at some point, too.

ITB

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:37 am

Came across a tidbit that may be of interest. In an recent interview with Routesonline, Mike Stewart, vice president for airline business development at Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, passed along a little factoid:

" ... according to market intelligence data the airlines serving Dulles International had the highest transatlantic yields of any US East Coast gateway airport for the year to 31 March 2017."

Gotta wonder where that market intelligence data came from, but if accurate, that's quite a feather in IAD's cap.

Stewart also notes that one of the hurdles to bringing new air traffic to Dulles is changing outdated perceptions.

"One challenge we still face is changing old perceptions. When someone has not been to Dulles International or the surrounding area in a number of years they cannot appreciate the changes at the airport or the amazing growth that has occurred in our neighbouring Fairfax and Loudoun counties."

Source: http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/bre ... rceptions/

phluser

Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:44 pm

One other area UA's IAD hub seems deficient (relative to other eastern hubs) is on the number of regional flights into IAD, that are short for the purposes of connections. e.g. UA having ABE-IAD service would foster connections into IAD such as ABE-IAD-ATL/DFW. Also servicing SWF and ISP, and some other northeastern airports with just IAD against AA's PHL only service. If anything UA would have the advantage that IAD can draw some DC O&D while AA's hub at PHL likely won't for that 200-300 mile or so distance.

As for B6 in IAD, it doesn't seem that it has much interest. It is WN that has added (or re-added) IAD-MCO/FLL not B6. B6 chose BWI as the station to offer complementary MCO/FLL flights with the DCA MCO/FLL flights. Maybe it will consider IAD-LAX but it's also likely WN does it, and even that is slim.

kgaiflyer

Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:07 pm

"I agree. Also, the IAD C concourse Aerotrain station doesn't connect to C properly and to D at all. They built a billion dollar train system that still requires Mobile Lounges for access to certain gates. Just idiotic without an agreement with UA to build the Tier 2 concourse. Dumb, dumb. I get MWAA has a Master Plan but common sense should have prevailed."

Remembering the days when we had to walk a quarter-mile underground tunnel to get from the main terminal to the B Concourse, I took it as the Authority's plan to give us all rosy cheeks and a confident stride. That they might not have had a clue on what they were doing didn't occur to me.

OTOH, I've seen whole families ride back and forth on the Dulles Aerotrain like it was an amusement ride (same in ATL). In Denver they make you get off at the main terminal and go through TSA again. <sarcasm alert> Maybe the Aerotrain should have a farebox. :lol:

Blimpie

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:57 pm

ITB wrote:

Air traffic at Dulles for domestic was up 4.9% through July 2017 compared to July 2016. International was up 5.6% for the same time frame.

Very substantial residential development is continuing in the Northern Virginia counties of Loudoun, Prince William and Fairfax, the principal catchment basin for IAD. It is only a matter of time before this growing population base begins to generate increased domestic flying. Moreover, there is a lot of wealth in these counties. Loudoun County is deemed the "richest" in the United States by the Census Bureau, with Fairfax close behind in third place. Another Northern Virginia locale, the city of Falls Church, located almost directly between DCA and IAD, is second.

Other rapidly growing counties in Northern Virginia that can be included in the IAD catchment basin include Stafford, Spotsylvania, and Fauquier. And they're sprouting new houses fast. The population of the District of Columbia is steadily growing as well, after years of decline. These new residents in the District are, for the most part, well educated and very well compensated. That usually equates to substantial disposable incomes, a metric very much valued in the airline industry, as it often translates to "frequent flyer."

To get an idea what's happening in Northern Virginia development-wise, utilize Street View in Google Maps and visit, oh, let's say, Reston Town Center. Thirty years ago there was no Reston Town Center. Nada. Take a moment to view Loudoun County via the Google Maps satellite image; click off 3D in the menu to get the most recent image. Since 2010, approximately 3000 new units of housing have been approved and built each year in Loudoun. Most are SFD (Single Family Detached), which means families. By 2025, Loudoun's population may be close to 500,000.

I'd also like to point out that both Washington and Frederick Counties in Maryland also fall under the IAD catchment area and have significantly easier and more direct access to IAD via the US15/VA7/VA28 corridors as well, and is only getting better/easier with the removal of the at-grades along VA7.
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

atypical

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:26 am

DCAfan wrote:
The major structural problem at IAD was the choice of the loop design for Aerotrain. United wanted a 4 car spine down the centerline like they have at DEN. But MWAA thought that wasn't good enough for Dulles. The loop design they adopted is essentially two spines joined together by a loop at each end which, if ever competed, results in twice the track mileage and rail stations than Uniited's preferred option. IMO the domestic industry cannot afford this highly expensive piece of airport infrastructure, so I am not terribly sanguine about Dulles' future as a domestic airport.

I agree. The airport planning and management has done their best to discourage IAD's use as hub. The AeroTrain is a prime example of bad planning. An existing underground walkway connects the terminal to concourses A and B. The new AeroTrain then connects the terminal to halfway down concourses A and B making the horizontal distance from a terminal connector to a gate no more that 1000 linear feet and provides 3 different paths to the terminal. Concourses C and D have a single AeroTrain connector that runs from the middle of concourse A past the middle of C to a station designed to serve an unplanned and unfunded but proposed concourse C. So the closest gate to the single connector is a minimum 1000 linear feet. Brilliant. Since the UA hub utilizes A/B and C/D they are dependent on those connectors. Airport officials basically said to United they don't need their stinking hub. It is one thing to be at an airport that is unconcerned about additional traffic but is it another to be at an airport where management tries to make it more difficult to operate. I don't blame UA for not making an effort increase operations since the airport has acted to make that more difficult.

atypical

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:33 am

Blimpie wrote:
ITB wrote:

I'd also like to point out that both Washington and Frederick Counties in Maryland also fall under the IAD catchment area and have significantly easier and more direct access to IAD via the US15/VA7/VA28 corridors as well, and is only getting better/easier with the removal of the at-grades along VA7.

Catchments aren't an either/or proposition. The counties you mention may favor IAD but probably have significant numbers using BWI and even some percentage to DCA.

Blimpie

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:09 am

I can say that the bulk of people in Frederick and Washington County do not want to contend with the traffic of getting to DCA or BWI as both can be nightmarish at best. HGR supports quite a few short flights to BWI a day, and they seem to do quite well.
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

BigTexFlyer

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:25 am

Like ORD, it’s a red-haired bastard step-child, but at least sees the 787, something too bright and shiny for ORD.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos