KarelXWB
Topic Author

Meridiana to be renamed Air Italy

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:29 am

Qatar Airways CEO Al Baker today revealed that Meridiana will be renamed to Air Italy.

Akbar: Meridiana to be renamed Air Italy b/c "we really want to be the national carrier of Italy, serving the Italian public" #CAPASummit

https://twitter.com/CAPA_Aviation/statu ... 0130333696
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

seemyseems

Re: Meridiana to be renamed Air Italy

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:34 am

Ah what a shame to see the Meridiana name go!
seemyseems in ATL

JannEejit

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:37 am

Has he missed a trick here ? Surely 'Al's Italia' is too good a name too resist ! ;-)

FoxtrotSierra

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:41 am

JannEejit wrote:
Has he missed a trick here ? Surely 'Al's Italia' is too good a name too resist ! ;-)

You’re as a sharp as a tack, triple entendre! :rotfl:

frigatebird

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:55 am

seemyseems wrote:
Ah what a shame to see the Meridiana name go!

Seems Meridiana doesn't have too much of a good reputation in Italy. If ever a rebrand was a smart idea, it's in this case.
Along with phasing out the current ancient Meridiana aircraft and inducing newly ordered 737MAX and ex-QR 787s. I think this could actually work.

JannEejit wrote:

:bigthumbsup: Good one :rotfl:
146,318/19/20/21, AB6,332,333,343,345,388, 722,732/3/4/5/G/8,9, 742,74E,744,752,762,763, 772,77E,773,77W,788 AT4/7,ATP,CRK,E75/90,F50/70

XLA2008

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:05 am

I wonder if Air Italy will get a new livery and a new hard Cabin product to become competitive, and stand a chance of becoming Italy’s national carrier!?
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“

debonair

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:30 am

XLA2008 wrote:
I wonder if Air Italy will get a new livery and a new hard Cabin product to become competitive, and stand a chance of becoming Italy’s national carrier!?

Yeap true, the MD80 had their last service in October and the rest of the gang (B737&B767) will be replaced by QATAR's stock of B737MAX, B787 and/or A330.

thgsr08

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:40 am

Better to fly on Air Italy than Meridiana. This name never made sense to me! HAHAHA
:checkeredflag:

Fly-K

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:00 pm

Keeping in mind that Air Italy was integrated into Meridiana some years ago... I hope they don't return to the same (AF-like) brand.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

jfklganyc

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:03 pm

This is brand positioning for AZs demise.

You become the airline of Italy by default.

Smart marketing move

JannEejit

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:14 pm

Italiana would sound better and avoids repitition of the old Air Italy brand.

steman

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:18 pm

As Fly-K mentioned, Air Italy is already part of the Meridiana group. It was an independent small charter airline that Meridiana bought some years ago (or it was the other way round) but the new company decided to keep the Meridiana livery and name, which I personally like better. There might still be some planes flying with the Air Italy livery or an hybrid one. So reverting to Air Italy, although an understandable decision for marketing reasons, it´s not really a brand new idea brought by the new Boss.

JulietteBravo

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:25 pm

Maybe it's this new Air Italy that orders 30 Bombardier CSeries?

mikegigs

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:15 pm

I find it odd that it will not be named Air Italia (or Aereo Italia). Why name an airline using the country's non-primary language? Sure English is spoken a lot, but it seems less prideful not to use Italian. That's like naming an airline Areo Estados Unidos in the US or calling Lufthansa being called Air Hansa...

But I do agree, totally a premeditated move to become the national carrier of Italy.
Airports: BOS, JAX, JFK, EWR, LGA, CVG, ATL, CLT, DCA, IAD, STT, PVD, ALB, MCO
Aircraft: 733, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 717, A319, A320, MD-88, E190, E175, E145, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, Q400
Airlines: B6, CO, DL, US, NW, WN, DH
...a good start but a looong way to go!

vhtje

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:21 pm

I wonder if a new livery will follow this change? The current livery is bit lacklustre and 1980s in feel, in my view.

A new livery featuring the tri colori would be just the thing...
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

BrianDromey

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:29 pm

I think a lot of Meridiana’s fleet is operated by Air Italy anyway.

smi0006

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:45 pm

[list=][/list]
JulietteBravo wrote:

That would be a diverse fleet for such a small carrier. But would give them a very effective ability to network throughout Europe, Africa and Middle East.

Looking forward to seeing the brand, product and livery reveal. At least with QR it will be classy. Hope to see Air Italy in oneworld too.

NZ321

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:57 pm

Smart move IMHO
Plane mad!

SCQ83

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:00 pm

mikegigs wrote:
I find it odd that it will not be named Air Italia (or Aereo Italia). Why name an airline using the country's non-primary language? Sure English is spoken a lot, but it seems less prideful not to use Italian. That's like naming an airline Areo Estados Unidos in the US or calling Lufthansa being called Air Hansa...

But I do agree, totally a premeditated move to become the national carrier of Italy.

Air Italia would be too similar to Alitalia. That would create confusion and even maybe some name ownership/usage lawsuit.

JulietteBravo

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:35 pm

smi0006 wrote:
JulietteBravo wrote:

That would be a diverse fleet for such a small carrier. But would give them a very effective ability to network throughout Europe, Africa and Middle East.

Looking forward to seeing the brand, product and livery reveal. At least with QR it will be classy. Hope to see Air Italy in oneworld too.

I was just thinking maybe this new name could indicate that they plan a bigger thing - taking over quite a large part of Alitalia slots after Alitalia would probably let fallen completely. We saw this with AirBerlin. LHG and easyjet "easily" took over slots (and some part of the fleet) but didn t really take parts of the AB structure and workers/crews automatically. In this case they maybe not take many aircraft of the shorthaul fleet but build up a new fleet with the CSeries as backbone.

bennett123

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:30 pm

Any change of the B767 being converted to cargo.

oldannyboy

Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:54 pm

Quite confusing, as Meridiana integrated Air Italy's operations a number of years ago! - a semi-merger of sorts that produced a confusing double fleet (and double liveries!) with aircrafts randomly flying each other routes. I think there might still be random aircrafts flying in hybrid liveries, or in white with IG titles applied...

On a separate note, the name Air Italy might be *better* if they really intend to position themselves as the new national carrier, however the livery is really sad and uninspiring....very 1980s....
The Meridiana livery is instead still outstanding. It has stood the test of time well, and it still looks professional, polished and conveys the image of the Mediterranean warmth with the red and yellow cheatline inherited by the old ALISARDA. Plus the lovely round crest has proved to be a very popular and immediately recognizable symbol in the country. I hope both colours and logo stay.

To answer the 'image' question...well, both names have a pretty tarnished reputation in the country, and Air Italy really was/is a fairly low-profile name belonging to what was essentially a purely charter carrier...... Not so sure erasing the Meridiana name and legacy is a particularly wise decision....

smi0006

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:16 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
Quite confusing, as Meridiana integrated Air Italy's operations a number of years ago! - a semi-merger of sorts that produced a confusing double fleet (and double liveries!) with aircrafts randomly flying each other routes. I think there might still be random aircrafts flying in hybrid liveries, or in white with IG titles applied...

On a separate note, the name Air Italy might be *better* if they really intend to position themselves as the new national carrier, however the livery is really sad and uninspiring....very 1980s....
The Meridiana livery is instead still outstanding. It has stood the test of time well, and it still looks professional, polished and conveys the image of the Mediterranean warmth with the red and yellow cheatline inherited by the old ALISARDA. Plus the lovely round crest has proved to be a very popular and immediately recognizable symbol in the country. I hope both colours and logo stay.

To answer the 'image' question...well, both names have a pretty tarnished reputation in the country, and Air Italy really was/is a fairly low-profile name belonging to what was essentially a purely charter carrier...... Not so sure erasing the Meridiana name and legacy is a particularly wise decision....

I’d say knowing QR, there will be no legacy brand linkage to Air Italy or Meridiana. It will be a clean sheet on all fronts, and Air Italy will be used due to international recognition. I know outside of the Italian community in Melbourne I’ve herd of people refer to Alitalia as Air Italia, or All Italian Airlines, people with little exposure to Italy won’t know the Alitalia brand and may not correctly assume it’s trabslation - Air Italy however hard to misuse.

What’s the bet the QR hard product will be replicated on the long haul aircraft at least? How would the QR configuration of 330 and 788 work to the US, South America, maybe NRT,PVG,HKG and DOH of course? Ex-Italy?

Be interesting whilst only 10% of CX, will CX and Air Italy also be cooperating? Same with IAG and LA/JJ?

Slash787

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:18 pm

JannEejit wrote:

LOL, this is one of the best posts I have seen on here.

VCEflyboy

Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:34 pm

Can someone please post the pic of the air Italy 767? The livery looks real nice! Except the font is a little tacky.

mikegigs

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:14 pm

VCEflyboy wrote:
Can someone please post the pic of the air Italy 767? The livery looks real nice! Except the font is a little tacky.

As requested... Not a bad looking jet at all

Airports: BOS, JAX, JFK, EWR, LGA, CVG, ATL, CLT, DCA, IAD, STT, PVD, ALB, MCO
Aircraft: 733, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 717, A319, A320, MD-88, E190, E175, E145, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, Q400
Airlines: B6, CO, DL, US, NW, WN, DH
...a good start but a looong way to go!

jnev3289

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:17 pm

mikegigs wrote:
VCEflyboy wrote:

Really? I think it looks terrible. How offensively boring! All lowercase letters? Barf

VCEflyboy

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:22 pm

Thanks. Yeah the logo and font is tacky but the livery looks sleek
Keep in mind that air Italy was an LCC. Their 737s had huge website URL address covering the entire fuselage.

PatrickZ80

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:36 pm

There are good things and bad things about this new name, and both of them come down to the image of "a new Italian flag carrier after Alitalia is gone". This is a good thing because they'll immediately have a strong market share in Italy. It's a bad thing because it more or less limits them to Italy. Meridiana is a more international name, it could work all over Europe. Under the name Meridiana they could compete with Vueling for example. Air Italy could easily bound loyal Alitalia customers to them, but outside Italy it means nothing.

StrandedAtMKG

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:41 pm

Surely they can come up with something less pedestrian than Air [insert name of country here]? Gah, how boring. Airline brand identities are a grand opportunity to be creative and interesting, to set yourself apart from the competition by appearing worldly and classy. Air Italy is just so...boring.

Jayafe

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:43 pm

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
Surely they can come up with something less pedestrian than Air [insert name of country here]? Gah, how boring. Airline brand identities are a grand opportunity to be creative and interesting, to set yourself apart from the competition by appearing worldly and classy. Air Italy is just so...boring.

Last time someone agreed with that, we got Level and Joon.....

PatrickZ80

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:10 pm

Jayafe wrote:

At least those are modern names. The name Meridiana, without looking at the image behind the name but just looking at the name itself, also sounds quite modern. Air Italy may work for the Italian market, but they'd fail anywhere outside Italy. Meridiana could work everywhere.

jbs2886

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:37 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Jayafe wrote:

At least those are modern names. The name Meridiana, without looking at the image behind the name but just looking at the name itself, also sounds quite modern. Air Italy may work for the Italian market, but they'd fail anywhere outside Italy. Meridiana could work everywhere.

But do they want it to work everywhere? The clear business plan is to capture the Italian market by replacing Alitalia. This means that when someone in another country goes to book a flight to Italy, they see Air Italy, not Meridiana, which does not indicate it is Italian.

I just don't see your point in an airline focused on the Italian market needing to adopt a generic name. Its not their business plan.

F27500

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:17 pm

Air Italy is a much better name. Meridiana was one of those "say-nothing" brands .. no one would know it meant Italy.

JulietteBravo

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:11 am

F27500 wrote:
Air Italy is a much better name. Meridiana was one of those "say-nothing" brands .. no one would know it meant Italy.

Disagree on that. Just let the word „Meridiana“ melt on your tongue. You re right it is not directly meaning Italy. But: It is classic and can be felt for Mediterranean Europeans as well as people that live with the sea. Also because it has an aeronautical meaning (the meridian of hemispheres)

In times of scoot, level or joon – the name Meridiana is not just an other say nothing name.

XLA2008

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:52 am

Maybe I am the odd one out here, but originally from Europe, very well aware of who Meridiana is along with Air Italy, however... I have no idea what the link between Meridiana as a name and Italy as a country is? Even using translate it comes back with Meridiana in English means Sundial, if someone could explain the link I would appreciate it
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“

PatrickZ80

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:06 am

F27500 wrote:

In case you want it to mean Italy, then indeed you're right. A say-nothing brand as you call it can be a benefit in case you want to expand out of your home country. If that's not their goal, then fine. But don't say it's better just because it has a meaning. Sometimes a name without a meaning can be better.

PatrickZ80

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:09 am

XLA2008 wrote:
Maybe I am the odd one out here, but originally from Europe, very well aware of who Meridiana is along with Air Italy, however... I have no idea what the link between Meridiana as a name and Italy as a country is? Even using translate it comes back with Meridiana in English means Sundial, if someone could explain the link I would appreciate it

The name Meridiana is somehow related to Mediterranean, which makes sense because Italy is in the Mediterranean sea. But the name could also work in Spain, southern France, Greece, etc. The name Air Italy only works in Italy.

smi0006

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:15 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
XLA2008 wrote:

The name Meridiana is somehow related to Mediterranean, which makes sense because Italy is in the Mediterranean sea. But the name could also work in Spain, southern France, Greece, etc. The name Air Italy only works in Italy.

Didn’t Lufthansa have an Italian airline called Lufthansa at one point? And Doesn’t Norwegian fly to the US from UK? They don’t seem to be limited to Norway?

Air Italy works globally for an Italian airline. For inbound visitors not just Italians - a generic name whilst applicable to Europe may not be globally recognised for Italy. EG for an Australian - I know British airways is form the UK ans will automatically check their fares if flying to London.

I have no idea where Wizz is from, and can’t say if I would or wouldn’t book with them unless they came up in a skyscanner search. Hope that makes sense.

Arion640

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:21 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
There are good things and bad things about this new name, and both of them come down to the image of "a new Italian flag carrier after Alitalia is gone". This is a good thing because they'll immediately have a strong market share in Italy. It's a bad thing because it more or less limits them to Italy. Meridiana is a more international name, it could work all over Europe. Under the name Meridiana they could compete with Vueling for example. Air Italy could easily bound loyal Alitalia customers to them, but outside Italy it means nothing.

Don't forget QR techincally own part of Vueling as they own a stake in IAG. They are on good terms with IAG with the JV etc, they would be unlikley to canabilise them.

Easyjet however is a different ball game.
223 319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 MD83 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

Brexit - It’s time for global Britain.

PatrickZ80

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:28 am

smi0006 wrote:
Didn’t Lufthansa have an Italian airline called Lufthansa at one point? And Doesn’t Norwegian fly to the US from UK? They don’t seem to be limited to Norway?

Air Italy works globally for an Italian airline. For inbound visitors not just Italians - a generic name whilst applicable to Europe may not be globally recognised for Italy. EG for an Australian - I know British airways is form the UK ans will automatically check their fares if flying to London.

I have no idea where Wizz is from, and can’t say if I would or wouldn’t book with them unless they came up in a skyscanner search. Hope that makes sense.

Lufthansa Italia is perhaps not the best example, it failed completely. Norwegian works because of two reasons. First because they're an LCC and second because they're not the historical flag carrier of Norway (that's SAS).

You say that for an Australian you'd automatically check British Airways if flying to London, which is only logical. But would you just as automatically check KLM or Lufthansa for going to London? They're not from the UK, but they can take you there as well. Same goes for Air Italy. Might be the first airline you come up with for a flight to Italy, but for a flight to another European country, would you think of them?

Wizz is from Hungary, but again it's an LCC and no flag carrier which makes a real difference. Besides, Wizz is an international name that could work everywhere.

Andy33

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:31 am

SCQ83 wrote:
Air Italia would be too similar to Alitalia. That would create confusion and even maybe some name ownership/usage lawsuit.

But Air Italy already exists as an airline name and has done since 2005, and it is now a Meridiana subsidiary with its own AOC. Far too late for lawsuits after 12 years, and the AOC gives official recognition to the name as well.

oldannyboy

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:19 am

jnev3289 wrote:
mikegigs wrote:
VCEflyboy wrote:

Really? I think it looks terrible. How offensively boring! All lowercase letters? Barf

I wholeheartedly agree: it's a disaster. It screams 1980s. And indeed it was made to resemble the livery of predecessor Air Europe (the Italian arm), but with the colours of the Italian "tricolore". Tacky. The very first iteration of the livery with the fin sporting multiple thinning green stripes a-la- Air France was possibly even worse.
The lowercase is positively god awful and grammatically incorrect. That would have been a 'blue' mistake back in the good schools days!

I have to re-iterate what a poor PR decision this is. Air Italy is such a weak weak brand...... Meridiana IS instead a brand already, coupled with a great logo, and is pretty well-known in the markets it serves, including the NY metro area, where they have been serving JFK for a number of years from several Italian airports.

planespotter20

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Anyone who likes to do liveries want to make a livery of a new air italy on a 787? Just interested as to what some people come up for a new Air Italy.

AirbusA6

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:34 pm

Air Italy is a pretty uninspiring name really. And in a modern world of internet bookings, a strong brand name doesn't need to be geographically relevant.

Meridiana to me is a much more stylish and memorable name, maybe they could have given it a long name "Meridiana Italian airlines" just to emphasise its origins?
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

qantas747

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:50 pm

AirbusA6 wrote:
Air Italy is a pretty uninspiring name really. And in a modern world of internet bookings, a strong brand name doesn't need to be geographically relevant.

Meridiana to me is a much more stylish and memorable name, maybe they could have given it a long name "Meridiana Italian airlines" just to emphasise its origins?

Ha. MIA not an airline I would like to fly... Missing in Action...

As an aside, how good would it be for an airline like Wizz to add Hungary into their name. They could reposition as a LCC with an emphasis on food. Think of all the glorious marketing puns!
Are you hungary for some cheap fares... we wont leave you hungary on our flights. Avoid being hangry and fly hungarian...

Absolutely love Al's Italia! Have a giant picture of AAB on the side of the plane eating pasta...

flyboy_se

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:51 pm

To be honest, how many people outside this forum knows Meridiana is an airline. It could mean anything. I think it makes sense to change it to Air Italy, a name already existing. I don't understand why people are saying it is boring. It says what it is and where it is from. There are several other examples out there already Air France, Air New Zealand, Air Serbia, Air Canada etc. I think if their aim is to become major player It makes sense to use Air Italy instead of Meridiana. I am pretty sure a new livery and branding will follow too. Will be interesting to follow.

For me personally Meridiana does not sound like an airline, nor does it make me think of Italy or Mediterranean. Plus a big chunk of Italy, almost half of it is in the Adriatic Sea as well.
I prefer to be crazy and happy rather than normal and bitter

F27500

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:23 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
F27500 wrote:

In case you want it to mean Italy, then indeed you're right. A say-nothing brand as you call it can be a benefit in case you want to expand out of your home country. If that's not their goal, then fine. But don't say it's better just because it has a meaning. Sometimes a name without a meaning can be better.

. .. What ???

F27500

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:25 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
XLA2008 wrote:

. .. What ??? .. "Somehow related to the Mediterranean" ... could you explain how ?

YIMBY

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:03 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
Jayafe wrote:

But do they want it to work everywhere? The clear business plan is to capture the Italian market by replacing Alitalia. This means that when someone in another country goes to book a flight to Italy, they see Air Italy, not Meridiana, which does not indicate it is Italian.

I just don't see your point in an airline focused on the Italian market needing to adopt a generic name. Its not their business plan.

For me Meridiana sound better, maybe just because it means nothing and associates to nothing. At least it is original. Airlines do not need to sound like national (government owned) airlines as most European airlines do - well most non-European too. An original non-local name would allow international expansion and mergers - if they ever will be apt for that.

But I agree, If their immediate goal is to pursue for replacing Alitalia as the "national airline", then Air Italy would work better.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos